HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General WGR Talk/TBN/local sports talk

Old
05-12-2017, 02:38 PM
NEcoli

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerity0 View Post
Paul Hamilton says that Shattenkirk is bad and he wouldn't take him for $3m/yr. I can't remember if it was Schopp or Paul that said it, but they said that he's well regarded because he scores a lot of points. Uh ya think?

Meanwhile he's been a positive ES relative Corsi every year since 2012-13 while nearly putting up .7 ppg as a defenseman. Sigh.
Paul Hamilton once said OEL was terrible. He's an idiot.

NEcoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 02:39 PM
NEcoli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Listening to Craig and peters from yesterday. They really, really want MAF. Like, talking like he is someone we should actively pursue and give up assets for. Is my assessment of his value totally off or something? I figured he'd be little more than a cap dump?
Consider the source(s).

NEcoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 07:35 AM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Why you guys bother with local media is beyond me. It's almost like you're those same idiots, begging for something to ***** about.

Avoid them and your problems are solved. And they might just go away entirely due to lack of ratings.

Seriously. Pots and kettles.

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 10:28 AM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichel15 View Post
Why you guys bother with local media is beyond me. It's almost like you're those same idiots, begging for something to ***** about.

Avoid them and your problems are solved. And they might just go away entirely due to lack of ratings.

Seriously. Pots and kettles.
They aren't going anywhere. Ppl on this board are the .001% of their listeners. And they have a monopoly, so ya.

sabrebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 11:38 AM
rtfirefly

So Andrew Peters keeps pushing the idea that the Sabres should trade for Marc Andre Fleury. Just what they need. Exchanging assets for a 32-year old, who is owed $11.5 million for the next two seasons, and who, playing for the Stanley Cup champs (who had replaced him for their Cup run) managed a three-plus goals against average this season. At least Peters didn't get the GM job.

rtfirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 11:40 AM
Steddy33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfirefly View Post
So Andrew Peters keeps pushing the idea that the Sabres should trade for Marc Andre Fleury. Just what they need. Exchanging assets for a 32-year old, who is owed $11.5 million for the next two seasons, and who, playing for the Stanley Cup champs (who had replaced him for their Cup run) managed a three-plus goals against average this season. At least Peters didn't get the GM job.
He thinks he has finger on the pulse of fans. I think he has been hit in the head too many times.

Steddy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 03:23 PM
DatGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtfirefly View Post
So Andrew Peters keeps pushing the idea that the Sabres should trade for M arc Andre Fleury. Just what they need. Exchanging assets for a 32-year old, who is owed $11.5 million for the next two seasons, and who, playing for the Stanley Cup champs (who had replaced him for their Cup run) managed a three-plus goals against average this season. At least Peters didn't get the GM job.
Peters has taken 50 to many fists to the face.

This team is in cap trouble and at this time next year will be paying 12 mil more (combined) to jack and Sam, why bring in a 6 million dollar goalie? Maybe he wants to have the worst bottom 6 in the history of the NHL. That's right Colorado, we coming for yah!

DatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 07:01 AM
Husko

vCash: 165
Paul Hamilton just took a shot at Elliot Friedman and his credibility. "What's he right maybe half the time?"

Yikes.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 07:14 AM
JLewyB

Quote:
Paul Hamilton just took a shot at Elliot Friedman and his credibility. "What's he right maybe half the time?"

Yikes.
Idk...maybe he's impressed Friedman can get things right half the time.

JLewyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 07:23 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Yikes.
I heard that and laughed too.

05-24-2017, 07:38 AM
truthbluth

I maintain to this day that Paul Hamilton has absolutely zero accountability at WGR. Whether he has dirt on someone, or is related to someone, it is borderline miraculous that he still has that job.

truthbluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 07:46 AM
snowshoes1818

Quote:

Yikes.
Speculation here but a likely guess given how I know things worked downstate.

Hamilton could really resent folks like Friedman if Friedman is mining agents and league sources for his information. Whereas Hamilton doesn't have that kind of clout and has to rely on official channels, scoops from low to medium-level team sources, and anything he catches out of the corner of his eye while taking in practice or walking past the locker room.

snowshoes1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:02 AM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:

Yikes.
What a tool. Out of curiosity, what was he talking about with Friedman being right or wrong?

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Top Pair Imposter
False Defenseman

vCash: 50
I was more interested in his comment that they almost took Draisaitl and had him far above Bennett. Don't recall any smoke about that at the time.

Top Pair Imposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Husko

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
What a tool. Out of curiosity, what was he talking about with Friedman being right or wrong?
Chris Lee coming to North America. PH says no way an NHL team gives him a contract.

Husko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Quote:
Chris Lee coming to North America. PH says no way an NHL team gives him a contract.
I would be surprised if Lee were handed an NHL job.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=81455

He might be the oldest defenseman ever to make an NHL debut if he makes the NHL next season.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:07 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
He will get an NHL contract. The question is if he actually plays in the NHL or not. If he wants to come over and is willing to accept not getting a 100% guarantee that he won't get demoted to the AHL, he will get a deal.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Pair Imposter View Post
I was more interested in his comment that they almost took Draisaitl and had him far above Bennett. Don't recall any smoke about that at the time.
Yeah, seemed like revisionism.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
Quote:
That wasn't the only thing either. There was something else he scoffed at, but for the life of me I can't remember what it was.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 10:31 AM
Pondslider

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowshoes1818 View Post
Speculation here but a likely guess given how I know things worked downstate.

Hamilton could really resent folks like Friedman if Friedman is mining agents and league sources for his information. Whereas Hamilton doesn't have that kind of clout and has to rely on official channels, scoops from low to medium-level team sources, and anything he catches out of the corner of his eye while taking in practice or walking past the locker room.
It's kind of amazing that Hamilton has been doing that job as long as he has been and his best sources seem to be things he makes up and whoever will still talk to him in the locker room after a game.

Pondslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 10:32 AM
Butt Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Pair Imposter View Post
Nor do I. Would love to see war room footage to confirm or deny.

Butt Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 02:03 PM
BiPolarBear

He's just terrible, the tidbit about Draisaitl is completely made up, not once in the 3 years since the 2014 draft has ANYBODY mentioned Murray and his scouts were debating Draisaitl vs Reinhart, and suddenly today it just falls out of his mouth like it's been known fact.

He also said PK Subban was a high first round draft choice, Jeremy White informed him he wasn't and Hamilton ignored him.

BiPolarBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 02:18 PM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:07 PM
snowshoes1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondslider View Post
It's kind of amazing that Hamilton has been doing that job as long as he has been and his best sources seem to be things he makes up and whoever will still talk to him in the locker room after a game.
I mean, it's entirely possible that he used to get better scoops back in the days when media was more localized. But nowadays in order to get scoops you have to: 1) Have a really deep personal connection; 2) Be able to provide meaningful exposure (meaning national); 3) Be able to trade information.

Regarding point 3), there was a great article on Adam Schefter a year or two back that talked about the ways in which he peddled information. Agents/teams would give him information often in a form of trade where they would expect HIM to break information to them, too. All on the down low. I have a personal experience here I'd share from my two-year stint covering aerospace if you're interested.

I'd fully expect that Hamilton has relationships with Rip Simonick, with longtime trainers and arena personnel. Further, I'd expect that back in the day they were probably great sources of information.

Things have changed though. And none of it benefits the local reporter.

- - -

With that landscape in mind, I think a local reporter COULD do a better job than Hamilton, yes, in even ferreting out that kind of information. But it wouldn't be easy. And it wouldn't necessarily be good... journalism either. Receive some information from a few agents, say... in return for penning a few puff pieces on a player they represent? That could have been a good way to raise a local profile and get a guy like Josh Gorges a few more Dave & Adams signings or something like that. For a guy with no shot at anything big nationally, that's not nothing.

Is that what we want?

snowshoes1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:45 PM
Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiPolarBear View Post
He's just terrible, the tidbit about Draisaitl is completely made up, not once in the 3 years since the 2014 draft has ANYBODY mentioned Murray and his scouts were debating Draisaitl vs Reinhart, and suddenly today it just falls out of his mouth like it's been known fact.

He also said PK Subban was a high first round draft choice, Jeremy White informed him he wasn't and Hamilton ignored him.
There's actual video of Murray from the 2014 draft telling Sabres.com that they had a trade in place to move to 4 if Reinhart went 1st.

Hamilton just flat out making **** up.

Ace is offline   Reply With Quote