HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2017 Draft Thread IV

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-18-2017, 10:48 AM
  #1326
TheDevilMadeMe
Registered User
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 45,785
vCash: 500
This is sure have changed from the days when the idea was to make the ATD playoffs move quickly to avoid GMs losing interest.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 11:06 AM
  #1327
ResilientBeast
Moderator
ATD Draft Czar
 
ResilientBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,630
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
This is sure have changed from the days when the idea was to make the ATD playoffs move quickly to avoid GMs losing interest.
This period was stretched and a gm or two said they wishes they had more time. There has to be a better solution but I'm struggling to find one.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 11:34 AM
  #1328
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
This period was stretched and a gm or two said they wishes they had more time. There has to be a better solution but I'm struggling to find one.
The draft itself should move slower. No one will lose interest during the draft itself. More time for discussion and analysis of the drafted players, and for guys to get their bios done. Fewer bad, rushed picks.

Then move the playoffs faster.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 04:22 PM
  #1329
jarek
Registered User
 
jarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
There's just no consequence for not voting. every year a number of people completely check out in the later rounds and we never hold them accountable for it. It's often the same people too.
I like HT18's idea. It makes not voting have a major consequence because you lose your voice in the outcome. Obviously I would hope that having the vote on your own series count be dependent on voting on every other series too.

The only other thing I can think of to encourage voting is to give some kind of incentive for it, and the only incentive I can think of at the moment is choosing your draft position the following year.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 04:25 PM
  #1330
jarek
Registered User
 
jarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
This period was stretched and a gm or two said they wishes they had more time. There has to be a better solution but I'm struggling to find one.
One of those GMs admitted the fault was their own due to doing nothing the first week.

There is simply nothing left to do at this point but to move it along and hope the GMs that skipped this round show up for next round.

To be clear, I am saying that we should just go ahead with whatever voting we have. We *might* get 1-2 more votes and it might take a week to get them. Not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
The draft itself should move slower. No one will lose interest during the draft itself. More time for discussion and analysis of the drafted players, and for guys to get their bios done. Fewer bad, rushed picks.

Then move the playoffs faster.
We've already had people complaining the draft moves too slow - myself included. IF there was some compelling discussion left to be had, I'd be all for it, but I have barely seen anything the last few years. There just isn't much left to be discussed that hasn't already been done so, unless someone finds some ground breaking new information on a player, or an era, or what have you.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 04:35 PM
  #1331
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 6,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
I like HT18's idea. It makes not voting have a major consequence because you lose your voice in the outcome. Obviously I would hope that having the vote on your own series count be dependent on voting on every other series too.

The only other thing I can think of to encourage voting is to give some kind of incentive for it, and the only incentive I can think of at the moment is choosing your draft position the following year.
Of course, it's all or none when it come to voting

Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 05:44 PM
  #1332
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
I like HT18's idea. It makes not voting have a major consequence because you lose your voice in the outcome. Obviously I would hope that having the vote on your own series count be dependent on voting on every other series too.

The only other thing I can think of to encourage voting is to give some kind of incentive for it, and the only incentive I can think of at the moment is choosing your draft position the following year.
The first part solves a minor problem (guys not even eliminated who aren't voting) but won't solve the big problem (guys eliminated who are now checked out).

The second part might help with that but I don't think that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
One of those GMs admitted the fault was their own due to doing nothing the first week.

There is simply nothing left to do at this point but to move it along and hope the GMs that skipped this round show up for next round.

To be clear, I am saying that we should just go ahead with whatever voting we have. We *might* get 1-2 more votes and it might take a week to get them. Not worth it.
This is unfortunately correct.

Quote:
We've already had people complaining the draft moves too slow - myself included. IF there was some compelling discussion left to be had, I'd be all for it, but I have barely seen anything the last few years. There just isn't much left to be discussed that hasn't already been done so, unless someone finds some ground breaking new information on a player, or an era, or what have you.
So? let them complain. They won't lose interest to the point that they leave and don't come back.

If there's not enough compelling discussion, then we aren't, as a group, excited enough for the draft. And maybe we should think about having it every second year. Absence will make the heart grow fonder.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 05:47 PM
  #1333
jarek
Registered User
 
jarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
Why isn't it possible that there simply aren't enough compelling discussion points remaining?

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 09:23 AM
  #1334
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
Why isn't it possible that there simply aren't enough compelling discussion points remaining?
Whether there are or there aren't, i don't think it changes what I said.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:55 PM
  #1335
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,381
vCash: 800
So are we moving forward with what we have?

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 02:34 PM
  #1336
ResilientBeast
Moderator
ATD Draft Czar
 
ResilientBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,630
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchBrawl View Post
So are we moving forward with what we have?
I asked Theokritos to release the votes we have yesterday

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 03:33 PM
  #1337
jarek
Registered User
 
jarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Whether there are or there aren't, i don't think it changes what I said.
I think it kind of does, actually. If there aren't enough compelling discussion points remaining, it doesn't matter if you do an ATD every year or every 10 years - you're going to have the same problem.

The easiest and simplest counteraction to this is getting more new people in who aren't so familiar with all the players, AND who are also willing to start the discussions themselves.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 04:51 PM
  #1338
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Theokritos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
Cole Division Consolation Round

Toronto Maple Leafs defeat Montreal AAA in 7 games
Stars: ***Bobby Orr, **Milt Schmidt, *Mark Messier

Next round:
Coleman Conference Consolation Round: Toronto Maple Austons vs Toronto Maple Leafs
Fisher Conference Consolation Round: Miami Screaming Eagles vs Strathcona Shadows

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 04:52 PM
  #1339
jarek
Registered User
 
jarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Coleman Conference Consolation Round: Toronto Maple Austons vs Toronto Maple Leafs
Lol.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 04:56 PM
  #1340
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Theokritos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
The Toronto derby, a true classic.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 05:56 PM
  #1341
Theokritos
Moderator
 
Theokritos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 7,976
vCash: 500
Playoff

We ended up with 15 ballots. Voters: BenchBrawl, chaosrevolver, Iceman, Hawkey Town 18, jarek, Johnny Engine, King Forsberg, Namba 17, ResilientBeast, seventieslord, Sprague Cleghorn, TDMM, tinyzombies, tony d, Voight.

Bob Cole Division Final:
Chicago Shamrocks defeat Southern Shore Breakers in 7 games
Stars: ***Syl Apps, **Howie Morenz, *Chris Chelios
Rene Lecavalier Division Final:
West Lafayette Lion Tamers defeat Dukla Jihlava in 7 games
Stars: ***Jacques Plante, **Gordie Howe, *Newsy Lalonde
Foster Hewitt Division Final:
Montreal Maroons defeat Cobalt Silver Kings in 7 games
Stars: ***Henri Richard, **Georges Vézina, *Cyclone Taylor
Jim Robson Division Final:
Montreal Canadiens defeat Regina Pats in 7 games
Stars: ***Patrick Roy, **Doug Harvey, *Bryan Trottier
Next round:
Coleman Conference Final: Chicago Shamrocks vs West Lafayette Lion Tamers
Fisher Conference Final: Montreal Canadiens vs Montreal Maroons

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 06:45 AM
  #1342
jarek
Registered User
 
jarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
I know it's the long weekend, but.. wow.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 12:46 PM
  #1343
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey
 
BenchBrawl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 15,381
vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
I know it's the long weekend, but.. wow.
Don't worry, some action will develop.On a personal note I'm just checking my opponent's players more in depth, re-reading threads/bios and so on before I start my case.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 04:08 PM
  #1344
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek View Post
I think it kind of does, actually. If there aren't enough compelling discussion points remaining, it doesn't matter if you do an ATD every year or every 10 years - you're going to have the same problem.
Of course it matters. One of the reasons there's a perception that there aren't as many compelling discussion points, is because not much changes in the pecking order of all-time players year after year. In two years there will be twice as much change, leading to more impetus for discussion.

Also, even if there wasn't any change in two years, the long layoff would cause people to be less bored and more excited. They wouldn't see the reopening of a topic as "the same old thing we talked about last year", it would be two years since it was last brought up.

Quote:
The easiest and simplest counteraction to this is getting more new people in who aren't so familiar with all the players, AND who are also willing to start the discussions themselves.
This is a benefit no matter what. Whether the ATD is in trouble or not.

New suggestion - Force a different league size every season. And not just a little different. A lot different. For example, after this year's 25-team draft, force next year's draft to be outside the range of 21-29 teams. Whatever it settles on for 2018, make sure 2019 is not within 4 teams of that.

Every year we just have to get a feel for whether it's going to be a plus or minus year, and start gearing towards it. If we have a goal for a number of teams, it's typically reachable, whether by encouraging guys to team up (think guys who check out early) or discouraging it while aggressively pursuing annual fence-sitters.

A much different number of teams in the draft is a great way to keep it interesting because it really shakes up the players, particularly in the middle of the draft, putting guys in roles we may not have usually put them in.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 04:18 PM
  #1345
jarek
Registered User
 
jarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
Yes I agree about different draft sizes every year wholeheartedly, even if it has to be artificially forced.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 12:13 AM
  #1346
Iceman
Registered User
 
Iceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Country: Sweden
Posts: 7,359
vCash: 500
In worst case, allow people to manage 2 teams.

Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 08:32 AM
  #1347
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
In worst case, allow people to manage 2 teams.
Agree. In worst case.

If we're in a situation where we had 25 last year and therefore need 30+ or 21- and we're getting on the high side, then yes, absolutely.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 10:27 AM
  #1348
ResilientBeast
Moderator
ATD Draft Czar
 
ResilientBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,630
vCash: 50
I'd like to get the voting for this round open in about a week just so we can keep this moving and end before the actual playoffs

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 05:13 PM
  #1349
ResilientBeast
Moderator
ATD Draft Czar
 
ResilientBeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,630
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I'd like to get the voting for this round open in about a week just so we can keep this moving and end before the actual playoffs
So no opposition to voting opening mid next week? (Wednesday?)

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 05:16 PM
  #1350
jarek
Registered User
 
jarek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,776
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
So no opposition to voting opening mid next week? (Wednesday?)
I hope that someone shows up in my series between now and then.

jarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.