HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Kitchener Rangers 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2017, 12:03 PM
rangersblues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Honestly, I hope the Rangers will evaluate the Tortora trade and figure out if he would be worth the 3 second round draft picks they would have to pay for him to report. I know having offensive players is a must. I guess this is where you should draft a player like him in the first round and not give up multiple 2nd rounders for him. Not sure if this is proper asset management! If they sign him, hopefully this will be the end of this type of "building".
Another case of trying to follow London's lead - unsuccessfully. The Tortora trade was done to emulate the Mete trade much in the same way Fabbri followed the Sonny Milano deal imo. Would have been a good deal if a) Tortora shows up and b) lives up to his hype.

Old
05-23-2017, 02:46 PM
SYWTom

Gordon signed with the Rangers today.

Guess I'll keep hoping for some Americans after the draft!

Old
05-23-2017, 03:59 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersblues View Post
Another case of trying to follow London's lead - unsuccessfully. The Tortora trade was done to emulate the Mete trade much in the same way Fabbri followed the Sonny Milano deal imo. Would have been a good deal if a) Tortora shows up and b) lives up to his hype.
Not really a good comparison.

London knew Mete was coming as a 16 year old. Ditto Domi. However, I'm pretty sure that the Rangers did the Tortora trade only in hopes he may report eventually. No guarantees - hence all the 2nds being conditional.

If the Rangers/Colts had any indication that he'd report to Kitchener as a 16 or 17 year old, I doubt that the 2nds Kitchener sent Barrie's way would have been so distant or conditional. And when you compare the returns that OS and Kingston got for Mete and Domi, and the returns that Missy and Saginaw got for Nizhnikov and McLeod, (few conditionals in those deals) Barrie didn't get the value they should have for a defected 1st rounder - a defected 1st rounder likely to report.

If I'm a betting man, I doubt we ever see Tortora ply his trade at the Aud.

Old
05-23-2017, 06:51 PM
BenchedGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYWTom View Post
Gordon signed with the Rangers today.

Guess I'll keep hoping for some Americans after the draft!
I always like signings.

Hoping Gordon comes along. To me he didn't stand out in rookie camp or the OHL Gold Cup. But I guess 2 tournaments doesn't dictate a player.

Old
05-23-2017, 08:38 PM
RossyYoungblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenchedGuy View Post
I always like signings.

Hoping Gordon comes along. To me he didn't stand out in rookie camp or the OHL Gold Cup. But I guess 2 tournaments doesn't dictate a player.
With Gordon, you guys will need some patience. He was very inconsistent in our viewings this season but he is capable of logging a great game here and there. His value will likely be felt in two years

Old
05-25-2017, 12:06 PM
OhSheila

Great news for ex Ranger Adam Keefe. Nice story by Josh Brown.

https://www.therecord.com/sports-sto...elfast-giants/

Old
05-28-2017, 07:33 PM
SYWTom

Bracco with 1 G, 1 A
And Ranger-to-be Stanley with a goal 😉

Kitchener Rangers ties are doing well
Go Spits
Hope everyone's enjoying the last junior game of the year

Old
05-29-2017, 12:05 AM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYWTom View Post
Bracco with 1 G, 1 A
And Ranger-to-be Stanley with a goal 😉

Kitchener Rangers ties are doing well
Go Spits
Hope everyone's enjoying the last junior game of the year
If this happens, it better be just as lop sided as the Bracco to Windsor trade was in order to make it right. If we're sending the rumored two 2nd rounders in return for Stanley, those 2nds better be Kitchener's 2nds in 2024 and 2025....nothing in the next few years.

If we have to send 2nds in, say, '18 and '19 then that blows! That would mean the entire transaction would be:

To Windsor:
Bracco
8th in '17
13th in '18
2nd in '18
2nd in '19

To Kitchener:
Stanley (only one year and done in Kitchener in a year we likely won't contend)
Burns (He'd have been a healthy scratch at this Mem Cup. Little to no value as an OA for Kitchener next year)
Carter (Third liner at best had he still been a Spit. Doesn't project much higher as a Ranger going forward)
2nd in '23
2nd in '24
2nd in '25 (cond)

IMO, this deal would still not cut it.

Old
05-29-2017, 01:08 AM
SebJHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
If this happens, it better be just as lop sided as the Bracco to Windsor trade was in order to make it right. If we're sending the rumored two 2nd rounders in return for Stanley, those 2nds better be Kitchener's 2nds in 2024 and 2025....nothing in the next few years.

If we have to send 2nds in, say, '18 and '19 then that blows! That would mean the entire transaction would be:

To Windsor:
Bracco
8th in '17
13th in '18
2nd in '18
2nd in '19

To Kitchener:
Burns (He'd have been a healthy scratch at this Mem Cup. Little to no value as an OA for Kitchener next year)
Carter (Third liner at best had he still been a Spit. Doesn't project much higher as a Ranger going forward)
2nd in '23
2nd in '24
2nd in '25 (cond)

Unless they flip Stanley at the deadline but that could hurt recruiting in the future.

I think it would be in the best interest of the team to just sell off next year. And not take scraps. IE- If you trade Mash, you better get and 2001 born 1st rounder+++. Bunn will be a huge hit at the deadline. Opie if returned. Start building for serious runs in 18-19 and 19-20.

Old
05-29-2017, 09:36 AM
jmkrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebJHockey View Post
Unless they flip Stanley at the deadline but that could hurt recruiting in the future.

I think it would be in the best interest of the team to just sell off next year. And not take scraps. IE- If you trade Mash, you better get and 2001 born 1st rounder+++. Bunn will be a huge hit at the deadline. Opie if returned. Start building for serious runs in 18-19 and 19-20.
Just wondering why you don't think they don't have a chance to contend this year (2017-18)? I've been a Rangers fan my whole life but with school I haven't been able to watch them as closely the past couple seasons as I used to or do research into how good other teams will be next year so I may just be overly optimistic/hungry for a return to the Peter Deboer-era glory days.

This is what I'm thinking though, let me know where I'm wrong/what your thoughts are:
This year they'll still have the non-Erie OHL leading scorer from last year in Mascherin, probably one of the best power forwards next year in Bunnaman, some other forwards who will hopefully build off of their breakout seasons (Garreffa, Meireles), and then some pretty good defense if Hall stays healthy and if Vallati, Gentles, Roberts, Burns play bigger roles. If I've heard correctly, probable NHL first round pick Lias Andersson is also likely to report next year. Richardson showed some promise in net last year as well if Opilka doesn't come back. So although they definitely need to add a few pieces (Stanley would be nice, T. Raddysh might be on the trade block as well), the way I look at it I don't see why they can't contend this year. Would be good for recruitment if they played in the heightened spotlight of the 100th Memorial Cup as well which might be another reason to go for it if the opportunity is there!

Old
05-29-2017, 10:22 AM
SYWTom

Andersson is not coming
He's signed with Frolunda (his dads former team) in Sweden for next year.
If he came, I'd agree we are in a go for it year.

We will be solid next season, I hope they don't sell it off. Would be fun to take a run again, but yea the ransom for our top 98s would be amazing returns (or in theory would be)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkrangers View Post
Just wondering why you don't think they don't have a chance to contend this year (2017-18)? I've been a Rangers fan my whole life but with school I haven't been able to watch them as closely the past couple seasons as I used to or do research into how good other teams will be next year so I may just be overly optimistic/hungry for a return to the Peter Deboer-era glory days.

This is what I'm thinking though, let me know where I'm wrong/what your thoughts are:
This year they'll still have the non-Erie OHL leading scorer from last year in Mascherin, probably one of the best power forwards next year in Bunnaman, some other forwards who will hopefully build off of their breakout seasons (Garreffa, Meireles), and then some pretty good defense if Hall stays healthy and if Vallati, Gentles, Roberts, Burns play bigger roles. If I've heard correctly, probable NHL first round pick Lias Andersson is also likely to report next year. Richardson showed some promise in net last year as well if Opilka doesn't come back. So although they definitely need to add a few pieces (Stanley would be nice, T. Raddysh might be on the trade block as well), the way I look at it I don't see why they can't contend this year. Would be good for recruitment if they played in the heightened spotlight of the 100th Memorial Cup as well which might be another reason to go for it if the opportunity is there!

Old
05-29-2017, 10:38 AM
ScoresFromCentre

Quote:

To Windsor:
Bracco
8th in '17
13th in '18
2nd in '18
2nd in '19

To Kitchener:
2nd in '23
2nd in '24
2nd in '25 (cond)

I don't think you could get Stanley for anything less than two of the 2018/2019 seconds past the league head office--assuming they're at all serious about cracking down on two-part trades. He's probably worth something on the order of three near-term 2nds. Sending far-term 2nds when the team still has near-term 2nds on hand doesn't really happen and would be a big red flag, I think.

Remember, though, that WSR 2nd 2025 will almost certainly become a 2018 2nd (per the conditions on the trade). So the aggregate trade would look a little better than what you've outlined. Honestly, I don't think it's that bad a deal.

Old
05-29-2017, 11:10 AM
Torgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoresFromCentre View Post
I don't think you could get Stanley for anything less than two of the 2018/2019 seconds past the league head office--assuming they're at all serious about cracking down on two-part trades. He's probably worth something on the order of three near-term 2nds. Sending far-term 2nds when the team still has near-term 2nds on hand doesn't really happen and would be a big red flag, I think.

Remember, though, that WSR 2nd 2025 will almost certainly become a 2018 2nd (per the conditions on the trade). So the aggregate trade would look a little better than what you've outlined. Honestly, I don't think it's that bad a deal.
I tend to agree with that. If we get a net gain of Stanley and a 2nd, that's better imo than just 3 2nds. Stanley would be a significant addition to this team provided he stays healthy.

Old
05-29-2017, 06:40 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgo View Post
I tend to agree with that. If we get a net gain of Stanley and a 2nd, that's better imo than just 3 2nds. Stanley would be a significant addition to this team provided he stays healthy.
Adding Stanley won't put us over the top next year. We have too many ?'s regarding next year's team. Uncertainty in net. Sketchy OA's. Huge import player concerns. Had we been slated to be a top contender next year, or if Stanley was a year younger, I'd like the trade a whole lot more. But unfortunately, neither is the case.

What I see happening is us maybe being a team that gets to the second round and no further. I agree that it would be in our best interest to sell our top assets at next year's deadline and aim for big years in 2018-19 and 2019-20. We don't have the assets needed to upgrade this team for a legitimate run in '17-'18 and we aren't going to pick up any world class players at the deadline on the cheap (ie. Bracco to Windsor). We need a stocked draft pick cupboard to work with like London had at the last trade deadline to be big players in the trade market. The stocking of that cupboard has to start now.

Old
05-30-2017, 08:58 AM
jmkrangers

Quote:
Adding Stanley won't put us over the top next year. We have too many ?'s regarding next year's team. Uncertainty in net. Sketchy OA's. Huge import player concerns. Had we been slated to be a top contender next year, or if Stanley was a year younger, I'd like the trade a whole lot more. But unfortunately, neither is the case.

What I see happening is us maybe being a team that gets to the second round and no further. I agree that it would be in our best interest to sell our top assets at next year's deadline and aim for big years in 2018-19 and 2019-20. We don't have the assets needed to upgrade this team for a legitimate run in '17-'18 and we aren't going to pick up any world class players at the deadline on the cheap (ie. Bracco to Windsor). We need a stocked draft pick cupboard to work with like London had at the last trade deadline to be big players in the trade market. The stocking of that cupboard has to start now.
Ya I agree, if they don't have a shot at going for it (which I see now they probably don't) then the complete rebuild is the only way they're going to get back to being a true contender again. I'd rather alternate between 1 or 2 really bad years then 1 championship year, than have 5 straight mediocre years like we've been having. The problem is there's a lot of casual fans who don't think long term and will stop coming to games if they're having a bad year (at least that's what I think the management thinks). But I hope Mike McKenzie does what's right even with all the criticism he would take for trading top players. In any case, 2008 seems way too long ago!

Old
05-30-2017, 12:24 PM
OhSheila

Eligible to Return Next Year (Last Years Points)

Mascherin 35G 65A 100 Points
Garreffa 25 35 60
Bunnaman 37 15 52
Meireles 17 25 42
Carter 14 19 33
McHugh 13 10 23
Henderson 6 17 23
Damiani 9 13 22
Vallati 5 16 21
Seitz 8 10 18
Roberts 4 14 18
Schiemenz 3 6 9
Burns 0 13 13
Gentles 1 7 8
Guest 2 4 6
Blaisdell 1 5 6
Yantsis 3 2 5
Hall 1 2 3
Peyton 1 0 1

Goalies

Opilka
Richardson
McGonigle
Pfiel

I don't expect that all players eligible to return will be returning.

I'll guess some trades will be made in the off season.

If Stanley comes as rumoured, our D will be strong. Let's remember Connor Hall only played 17 games last season. He'll make a difference.

I also expect an upgrade in our Import positions.

On paper this looks like a decent team that with a few tweeks could contend. Owen Sound should be the team to beat, London will be strong again especially if they can get good goaltending, Guelph will be improved, Erie should struggle a bit.

Players like Meireles, McHugh, Damiani, Yantsis and Carter should see some decent goal increases. Mascherin, Garreffa and Bunnaman should continue to contribute a lot of goals.

For me, it's too early to predict how the Rangers and others teams in the division will look, but I expect we'll be in the top 3 at the trade deadline. That's when to assess whether to sell or buy.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching the season unfold as I sit among the best fans in the OHL.

Last edited by OhSheila: 05-30-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: additions
Old
05-30-2017, 05:47 PM
KitchenerRangersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSheila View Post
Eligible to Return Next Year (Last Years Points)

Mascherin 35G 65A 100 Points
Garreffa 25 35 60
Bunnaman 37 15 52
Meireles 17 25 42
Carter 14 19 33
McHugh 13 10 23
Henderson 6 17 23
Damiani 9 13 22
Vallati 5 16 21
Roberts 4 14 18
Schiemenz 3 6 9
Burns 0 13 13
Gentles 1 7 8
Guest 2 4 6
Yantsis 3 2 5
Hall 1 2 3
Peyton 1 0 1

Goalies

Opilka
Richardson
McGonigle
Pfiel

I don't expect that all players eligible to return will be returning.

I'll guess some trades will be made in the off season.

If Stanley comes as rumoured, our D will be strong. Let's remember Connor Hall only played 17 games last season. He'll make a difference.

I also expect an upgrade in our Import positions.

On paper this looks like a decent team that with a few tweeks could contend. Owen Sound should be the team to beat, London will be strong again especially if they can get good goaltending, Guelph will be improved, Erie should struggle a bit.

Players like Meireles, McHugh, Damiani, Yantsis and Carter should see some decent goal increases. Mascherin, Garreffa and Bunnaman should continue to contribute a lot of goals.

For me, it's too early to predict how the Rangers and others teams in the division will look, but I expect we'll be in the top 3 at the trade deadline. That's when to assess whether to sell or buy.

I'm just going to sit back and enjoy watching the season unfold as I sit among the best fans in the OHL.
Dylan Seitz? Doug Blaisdell?

Old
05-31-2017, 05:59 AM
OhSheila

Fixed.

Looking at our D possibilities for next year.

Doug Blaisdell - OA
Andrew Burns - OA
Connor Hall
Giovanni Vallati
Elijah Roberts
Kyle Gentles
Alex Petersen
Grayson Ladd

Logan Stanley (Rumour)

Definitely some movement coming there.

Old
05-31-2017, 05:27 PM
SYWTom

What stands out to me is our lack of a Right Handed D, Ladd is our only one and he's a rookie

That's definitely a position of need.
As is another top scorer at the least.

Quote:
Fixed.

Doug Blaisdell - OA
Andrew Burns - OA
Connor Hall
Giovanni Vallati
Elijah Roberts
Kyle Gentles
Alex Petersen
Grayson Ladd

Logan Stanley (Rumour)

Old
06-03-2017, 01:20 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
Fixed.

Doug Blaisdell - OA
Andrew Burns - OA
Connor Hall
Giovanni Vallati
Elijah Roberts
Kyle Gentles
Alex Petersen
Grayson Ladd

Logan Stanley (Rumour)

Really not a lot of decisions to make here. Of the eight you mention, easily, the top six are (in no particular order): Blaisdell, Hall, Vallati, Roberts, Gentles, Ladd. If Stanley shows up here, he bumps Gentles out. If we go with 8 on the roster, Gentles and Peterson would be 7 and 8. Burns isn't good enough to play as an OA here so having him as a 7th or 8th d-men doesn't work.

I also expect there to be another d-man land here either through trade, FA signing, or perhaps a past draft pick making the team. There is at least one new body almost every year.

My fear is that the management designates Burns as one of our OA's so they can say that we got an OA year out of him which would be further evidence that the Bracco deal wasn't so bad.

I have no hate on for Burns. He can play in this league. But not as an OA on this team.

Old
06-03-2017, 07:46 PM
rangersblues

Quote:

My fear is that the management designates Burns as one of our OA's so they can say that we got an OA year out of him which would be further evidence that the Bracco deal wasn't so bad.
And Carter the year after.

Old
06-04-2017, 07:47 AM
ScoresFromCentre

Quote:
This would be Steve-Spott-drafting-"four-year-players" levels of idiocy if it happened--and it might. We'd also have bigger issues with respect to management caring more about optics than winning hockey games. Here's hoping we're not on the darkest timeline!

Old
06-04-2017, 11:37 AM
Mowman

Quote:

I have no hate on for Burns. He can play in this league. But not as an OA on this team.
I bet they keep Burns as an OA, but not because of the optics of the trade. Ranger management always values OA D, so I think they keep him around for that reason, not because of the trade.

Just my opinion.

Old
06-04-2017, 12:48 PM
Medway Bear

To start the season I want my top 5 D to be the best they can especially if they are in a position to win something, 6, 7 can be development positions. Burns to me is borderline on the top 4 or 5. Who knows who will turn up to camp and how good they will be to push him out.

If Stanley is coming to Kitchener, does he come here before Rangers training camp or after he gets sent back from the NHL (assuming he is)?

Old
06-06-2017, 11:10 AM
OhSheila

2017-18 Schedule is out

http://chl-wordpress-uploads.s3.amaz...8_Schedule.pdf

Closed Thread