HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SERIES TALK: Eastern Conference Final | Penguins vs. Senators Pt. 2 | Series Tied

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2017, 11:48 AM
JimmyTwoTimes

vCash: 500
Now that we aren't getting PH or Rust back tonight I'm glad Murray is in.

We need some sort of shake up to spark this team, and what else is there left besides that? We know he isn't going to play Sprong or Archie.

Sucks for Fleury but is what it is. Maybe he would've bounced back, but being down 2-1 we can't take that chance.

If we get to the finals, with all of the injuries.. Switching goalies in the middle of the ECF....sully should be our coach until he's ready to move on.

Old
Asuna
Lvl 94 Sub-Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
lmao. i love sullivan

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost033 View Post
Really? So one bad game and all the great games prior are forgotten and you lose your starting job? Do you think if Anderson gives up 6 goals tonight the Sens would even consider sitting him in Game 5? Fleury has done enough to be in goal tonight IMO. I do think Murray is the future and had he not been injured before game 1 would have been the goalie to this point but Flower has played out of his mind for 2 rounds and 2 games of this series so far.

And can we be honest, the other night, his D was screwing him over big time and did him 0 favors.
1: Fleury has been the backup all year. He isn't losing his starting job, he's giving Murray his spot back.
2: Anderson doesn't have Matt Murray to replace him.

I can understand arguments either way, but this certainly isn't some crazy move to put your starting goalie back in.

Old
Ginormousthumbs

Poor Fleury.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:49 AM
canadianguy77

Love how Kunitz is pulling an Orpik the last few days with his comments to the media.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:50 AM
SCPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingGoalie View Post
I'm with you Cole.
only reason we are here is because of Fleury. The only reason you won game 2 is because of Fleury.
The only reason we made OT in game 1 really is because of fleury locking down the net for the majority of the game.

Murray did not get pulled after only 1 bad game. He started to slow down and his save % over 4 games had dipped down to like 85-88% (i have to go look the #'s up) but Murray was showing alot of signs of hitting a wall before he got pulled.

Fleury literally had a shutout the game before he got pulled. Sully get's paid the big bucks to make these decisions. I hope it's the right one. The crappy thing is if the team plays better either goalie can win this for us, but if Murray is in net and they win it will be his net the rest of the way.

Pretty crappy way to treat fleury considering he was on a Conn Smythe trajectory prior
Let's remember, Fleury didn't have any shots on him for roughly a 20 minute span in game 2. And I believe he only had 3....yes THREE high quality chances against. A shutout should almost be expected in a game like that where the Sens really weren't pushing the needle offensively.

Trust in Sullivan, he's made WAY more good decisions than bad in his tenure here.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:51 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschland Dangler View Post
Who gives a flying **** about that?
Seriously. It's taken more than a decade but Fleury is finally being treated like a professional athlete. You crap the bed, you sit. No coddling, no preferential treatment, just competition for the one available job.
If he doesn't like that, that's Vegas' problem.
Did Talbot or Gibson lose starts earlier in the playoffs when the whole team had one rough game? I don't think they did (hint: they didn't). It doesn't even matter because we have two good goalies now more than ever, but your argument is one of those ones that somehow only applies to Fleury.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:52 AM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianguy77 View Post
Love how Kunitz is pulling an Orpik the last few days with his comments to the media.
Media: Will there be any secondary scoring tonight ?

Kunitz : Probably not.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Nakawick
Minty Fresh

vCash: 70000
Going with MM does give Sully another move if it doesn't work out. If we were to lose game 4 and go down 3-1, he could go back to MAF for game 5 at home. Maybe that scenario if played out it would provide a spark with a highly motivated MAF.

However, I think we are scoring some goals and are winning tonight.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:55 AM
StaalForOne

Send a message via AIM to StaalForOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I don't know if there's a wrong call here, at least on the ice. The idea that MAF is shaky right now or had much at all to do with last game is just plain incorrect though. They don't lose much by playing either goalie. If either one played and needed to be pulled, they'd be pulled.
This is where I'm at too. You know he was going to get criticized for either decision, but it's a good problem to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Hutz View Post
I don't like this, Fleury should get the start, albeit with a short leash.

I'm afraid of the potential effect on morale, you know the guys love flower and want to see him have his swan song.
You could also argue that they will want to play better seeing what they did to MAF. I don't think the goalie decision will impact them either way. I think the biggest morale angle is that everyone knows they played like garbage last game, and should be looking to redeem that tonight.

Old
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk112 View Post
Leader

What would you like him to say?

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
Going with MM does give Sully another move if it doesn't work out. If we were to lose game 4 and go down 3-1, he could go back to MAF for game 5 at home. Maybe that scenario if played out it would provide a spark with a highly motivated MAF.

However, I think we are scoring some goals and are winning tonight.
That works for guys like Murray, not Fleury. Fleury gets better and better with confidence. He does not get better like Murray does when someone tells him he's not good enough.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:56 AM
JimmyTwoTimes

It didn't workout last year when we switched. Murray would've won that game 5 that fleury lost in OT.

Hopefully the same doesn't happen tonight. And we lose 4-3 or whatever. The backlash...

Old
05-19-2017, 11:56 AM
SCPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
That's where I'm at on this. It's a big time boom or bust coaching decision. That's unlike Sully. It is even one of those that could drain some energy from the vets. Now we have a strong team between the ears (can't believe i'm saying that after years of DB) so I don't think it will affect them, but moves like that could really hurt the team if Murray were to lay an egg tonight. And similar to MAF's game in Game 3, the defense is mostly to blame, not the goalie. The safe play and the right play was to let MAF go get one like Game 7. If he didn't, then you pull the trigger. And no.. 3-1 down is not too late, IMO.
Fleury CAN'T let that goal in during the first minute of the game. And that WAS a Fleury special. Hoffman was behind the goal line when he scored......to me, that's the game right there. THAT type of goal gets in the heads of your teammates. Does Murray let that goal in? We'll never know. But c'mon, we all know he lets MUCH fewer "ah geez" goals in than Fleury.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:57 AM
Rectify
I HAVE A JOB!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
Maybe something to the effect of: "I need to be better, I need to get some goals"

Old
05-19-2017, 11:57 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPens View Post
Fleury CAN'T let that goal in during the first minute of the game. And that WAS a Fleury special. Hoffman was behind the goal line when he scored......to me, that's the game right there. THAT type of goal gets in the heads of your teammates. Does Murray let that goal in? We'll never know. But c'mon, we all know he lets MUCH fewer "ah geez" goals in than Fleury.
Remember, that's why I love Murray's style of play more-so than Flower. Flower's ceiling is clearly higher, but Murray is a simple goalie who doesn't allow that stuff to get by him often. He plays deeper, so the crazy bounces don't get to him. We actually saw 2 examples of that in the 2 periods he played.

Nonetheless - the defense had chances to stop both of the crazy bounces.

Old
05-19-2017, 11:58 AM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCPens View Post
He actually got over. Was he supposed to wear special pads that extended all the way down to his skate blade? Not to mention the deflection. Watch closer.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:01 PM
SCPens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost033 View Post
Really? So one bad game and all the great games prior are forgotten and you lose your starting job? Do you think if Anderson gives up 6 goals tonight the Sens would even consider sitting him in Game 5? Fleury has done enough to be in goal tonight IMO. I do think Murray is the future and had he not been injured before game 1 would have been the goalie to this point but Flower has played out of his mind for 2 rounds and 2 games of this series so far.

And can we be honest, the other night, his D was screwing him over big time and did him 0 favors.
Well of course, Condon isn't in Murray's league. The Sens have no choice but to run with Anderson.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:01 PM
ZeroPucksGiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
He actually got over. Was he supposed to wear special pads that extended all the way down to his skate blade? Not to mention the deflection. Watch closer.
He didn't seal the post- that's the end of the discussion.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:02 PM
Giskard
Spumoni!

vCash: 450
Well I hope that the switch in the net will give a wake up call. Fleury fully deserved to play, but this team needed a change, and we don't have any other impact player to try since seems everybody else are out injured.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:03 PM
TNT87
BACK 2 BACK CHAMPS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk112 View Post
Leader

Which is exactly how many goals Kunitz has scored since February 1.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:03 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPucksGiven View Post
He didn't seal the post- that's the end of the discussion.
If you're not going to consider anything about the play in question then there's no point continuing. Game is long gone anyways with the consensus that goaltending had little if anything to do with the result.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:04 PM
BeatenLikeRentedMule

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I just want to state for the record two quick things.

1) I am so freaking happy #30 is Sully's guy and i'm so happy he's the goalie of our future.

2) I think it's the wrong move tonight. MAF had a **** 3rd period of Game 5 and bad Game 6. He came out and posted a SO in Game 7 last round. We wouldn't be where we are without MAF this postseason. I'm just calling a spade a spade. I think I would have gone with #29. If he ****ed up then try to get #30 to save the day down 3-1.

I just think it was the right move to go to #29 tonight. I'm probably one of the few HFers who absolutely love Murray but think it should have been MAF's net tonight.
We aren't coming back down 3-1 so Sully took the safer route. I think it was the smart move given MAF's history.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:05 PM
canadianguy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathroomSTAAL View Post
"I'm going to be real here. I'm no longer an NHL player. My contract may say that I am, but let's be reality....I'm not. An NHL players doesn't go 30 games without scoring a goal playing alongside 2 of the best 3 centers in all of hockey. A guy like Tom Sesitito would score at least one goal if he was given those opportunities."

"I'm going to do the right thing and take this out of management's and the coaching staff's hands. I'm retiring. Effective immediately. I feel as though this will give this team it's best chance to win. I look forward to working at some capacity within the organization if they'll have me. Thank you. No further questions at this time."

Old
05-19-2017, 12:06 PM
pensfansince88

Sully has big cojones. If Murray sucks this will backfire hard in his face

Closed Thread