HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst NHL Goalie Ever

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-16-2017, 10:30 PM
  #76
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,571
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
The worst I've ever seen is probably Warren "score-against-me" Skorodenski (1982-1988).

Only played 35 regular season games and 2 playoffs. Had a solid .786 save% in the playoffs, and a .720% with Cup-champion Edmonton in 1987-88.
Just coming into the thread to nominate Skorodenski just in case nobody remembered him. Watching him play for the Blackhawks against the Oilers he looked like he was actually trying to jump out of the way of pucks heading towards the net. Shocked the hell out of me when the Oilers signed him.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:23 AM
  #77
The Panther
Registered User
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 5,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Just coming into the thread to nominate Skorodenski just in case nobody remembered him. Watching him play for the Blackhawks against the Oilers he looked like he was actually trying to jump out of the way of pucks heading towards the net.
Yeah, he looked awful there. In fairness to ol' Warren, though, the Hawks sent him in to start the third period against the Dynasty Oilers, winners of 11 straight playoff games, defending champions, with the score already 7-1 Edmonton. He did manage to stop 10 of the 14 shots he faced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Shocked the hell out of me when the Oilers signed him.
I think that was just a fill-in move before Sather could trade for someone. They'd lost Andy Moog to the Olympics and later to Boston, and Daryl Reaugh wasn't working out for them (he appeared in 6 games that year -- mostly in relief -- and sported a 4.77 GAA). Skorodenski appeared in only 3 games for the Oilers and posted an excellent 6.89 GAA. Somehow he didn't get any Vezina votes; can't figure it out.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:34 AM
  #78
FissionFire
Registered User
 
FissionFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 11,515
vCash: 500
Jorge Alves has to be the worst goalie to ever play in an NHL game. At least these others guys were legit goalies and not support staff.

__________________
Carpe Diem!!
FissionFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:36 AM
  #79
Bleedred
Boedker sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: #freejonmerrill
Country: United States
Posts: 66,445
vCash: 500
So many bums only played a few seasons or even just a few games.

In recent times, I was always flabbergasted at how Ray Emery managed to stay in the league for so long. I think that fluke 2012-2013 lockout season when he had a .922 and even was top 5 or 6 in Vezina votes, really prolonged his career another couple years. Between 2007 and 2015, I'm pretty sure he had the worst combined save percentage out of anybody to play in the league during those years. That's even taking into consideration that he didn't play in North America in 2008-2009 and had the fluke lockout year and 10 games of .926 with the Ducks in 10-11. A .903 save percentage between 2007 and 2015 has to be the worst in the league during that stretch. A lot of backup goalies seem to wash out of the NHL after having just one season that poor, never mind putting up those numbers over a 7 year stretch.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:39 AM
  #80
Bleedred
Boedker sucks
 
Bleedred's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: #freejonmerrill
Country: United States
Posts: 66,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FissionFire View Post
Jorge Alves has to be the worst goalie to ever play in an NHL game. At least these others guys were legit goalies and not support staff.
Yeah but come on dude, how many guys can say they retired with a .1000 save percentage and 0.00 GAA in their NHL career?

Then again, I don't know what save percentage they give a goalie who faced exactly 0 shots, but he still gets credit for the 0.00 GAA!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 12:52 PM
  #81
Sam Pollock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
According to Stan Fishler it has to be Steve “The puck-goes-in-ski” Buzinski. During WWII, a lot of players were fighting in the war. The NHL teams had to look hard for talent back then, especially in goal. Here's a link to Buzinski:

http://nitzyshockeyden.blogspot.ca/2...-funniest.html

Do you realize that if any of us were in shape back then and could skate , we would have had a great chance to play at least a few games in the NHL with several of the teams (Rangers, Americans, etc.)? It was that bad.

Sam Pollock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:02 PM
  #82
VanIslander
Don't waste my time
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post
Dan Cloutier in a playoff game.
Even in the regular season... he played 350+ regular season games and couldn't average .900 playing behind a pretty good squad.

Can any of these, who played more, be said to be worse?

Trevor Kidd
Doug Favell
Brian Hayward

(They are the only candidates - other than Dan **** Cloutier, for the worst goalie with 350+ games played.)

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:15 PM
  #83
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Garry Laskoski is the worst goalie ever to be a starter in the NHL.

Went from an NCAA backup with terrible numbers to LA's starting goalie in 1982-83 to out of hockey a year later.
I checked my reconstructed sv% sheets, and his .857 in 82-83 is 13th worst of all-time for goalies with over 2000 minutes in a season.

The guys ahead of him - Hayward, Sauve, Chevrier, Wamsley, Low, Brodeur, Stefan, Sidorkiewicz, Hackett, 82-83 Lessard, Soetaert - were at least established NHL goalies when they posted these poor seasons, so it makes sense, but Laskoski had no track record, so it's hard to understand how he was brought in and allowed to suck so bad for such a large portion of a season.

Still, in the mid-80s, those numbers aren't as mind-numbingly bad as they look on the surface. It's only the 87th worst season posted since 1953 based on error rate vs league average.

The worst of all-time: Billington 1994, Low 1976, Roloson 2012, Low 1975, Caron 2004, Gratton 1977, Desjardins 1970, Head 1962. A nice sampling of all eras!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:19 PM
  #84
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Even in the regular season... he played 350+ regular season games and couldn't average .900 playing behind a pretty good squad.

Can any of these, who played more, be said to be worse?

Trevor Kidd
Doug Favell
Brian Hayward

(They are the only candidates - other than Dan **** Cloutier, for the worst goalie with 350+ games played.)
You're right that his regular season career was far from stellar, and you could be right that he's the worst to play 350+ games.

You're also correct in that he had a sub-.900 sv%.... for his career (.899). but when he was with a good team, Vancouver specifically, his average was .906 over four seasons.... he even topped the league average one of those times!

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:25 PM
  #85
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Snow, Budaj, Hayward, Pavelec, Low, and Fiset are the only six with over 350 games I can identify that Cloutier might be better than.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:33 PM
  #86
SealsFan
Registered User
 
SealsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Bob Champoux was head and shoulders ahead of the rest.
I saw one of his 16 NHL starts at Nassau Coliseum! To be fair, Champoux was a career minor leaguer who was brought up only because of an injury to Gilles Meloche and the Seals had no goalie prospects in their system. I'm more impressed with goalies who actually make the team and have an NHL career and stink up the joint...

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 04:08 PM
  #87
Sanf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I checked my reconstructed sv% sheets, and his .857 in 82-83 is 13th worst of all-time for goalies with over 2000 minutes in a season.

The guys ahead of him - Hayward, Sauve, Chevrier, Wamsley, Low, Brodeur, Stefan, Sidorkiewicz, Hackett, 82-83 Lessard, Soetaert - were at least established NHL goalies when they posted these poor seasons, so it makes sense, but Laskoski had no track record, so it's hard to understand how he was brought in and allowed to suck so bad for such a large portion of a season.

Still, in the mid-80s, those numbers aren't as mind-numbingly bad as they look on the surface. It's only the 87th worst season posted since 1953 based on error rate vs league average.

The worst of all-time: Billington 1994, Low 1976, Roloson 2012, Low 1975, Caron 2004, Gratton 1977, Desjardins 1970, Head 1962. A nice sampling of all eras!
That seems odd. Lessard had multiyear 250.000 $ per year contract. Laskoski started the season with tryout contract and was paid 300 $ per game.

I thought that Lessard had meltdown in preseason, but that didn´t seem to be the case.

The Los Angeles Times
Quote:
"Both (General Manager George) Maguire and I were under the opinion that Laskoski deserved to start after his play in the exhibition season." Based on preseason performances. Laskoski and Blake (both had 3.03 goals-against averages) played slightly better than Lessard (3.46). but seemingly not enough to necessitate a change. After all. Laskoski and Blake have no regular-season experience. In all probability, this will not be a permanent change. Laskoski does not have a contract, and the Kings have until Oct. 21 to decide if they will: (1) sign him and keep him on the club: (2) sign him and send him to the Kings' minor league affiliate in New Haven. Conn., or Saginaw. Mich., or (3) release him. So. Laskoski's future may be decided tonight.
Looking at Doctor No´s Kings game-by-game performance chart from that season it seems that Laskoski had decent start for a season.

http://hockeygoalies.org/bio/nhl/logs/LOS1982.html

Nothing really explains why they suddenly decided to throw Lessard out of the lineup at the start of the season.

In mid season Kings brought Vachon as goalie coach. But at the same time they acquired Markus Mattsson from Minnesota. (One of the conditions of that trade was that Kings have to send Lessard to North Stars minor team for the rest of the season)

Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 04:51 PM
  #88
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
IThe guys ahead of him - Hayward, Sauve, Chevrier, Wamsley, Low, Brodeur, Stefan, Sidorkiewicz, Hackett, 82-83 Lessard, Soetaert - were at least established NHL goalies when they posted these poor seasons, so it makes sense
Brian Hayward was dealing with a back injury that prematurely ended his career while playing behind a horrible expansion team. He does not belong on this list.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 05:34 PM
  #89
crobro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
You're right that his regular season career was far from stellar, and you could be right that he's the worst to play 350+ games.

You're also correct in that he had a sub-.900 sv%.... for his career (.899). but when he was with a good team, Vancouver specifically, his average was .906 over four seasons.... he even topped the league average one of those times!
During the lockout Cloutier played in the Austrian EBEL 2nd division and was near the bottom in all categories

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 05:49 PM
  #90
MXD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 33,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Snow, Budaj, Hayward, Pavelec, Low, and Fiset are the only six with over 350 games I can identify that Cloutier might be better than.
I perused the list and...
That seems a bit mean to Fiset.
But I'd definitely had Hedberg and Kidd to that group.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 05:52 PM
  #91
MXD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 33,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Brian Hayward was dealing with a back injury that prematurely ended his career while playing behind a horrible expansion team. He does not belong on this list.
I'm pretty sure 70ies was referring to his 85-86 season with the Jets, since Hayward played roughly 1200 minutes in two combined seasons with the Sharks.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:14 PM
  #92
Dennis Bonvie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 12,229
vCash: 500
Blaine "let 'em in" Lacher.

Dave Reece. Last NHL appearance was Sittler's 10 point game.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 06:22 PM
  #93
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I'm pretty sure 70ies was referring to his 85-86 season with the Jets, since Hayward played roughly 1200 minutes in two combined seasons with the Sharks.

Correct.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I perused the list and...
That seems a bit mean to Fiset.
But I'd definitely had Hedberg and Kidd to that group.
I considered both of those guys, but in the end I couldn't add them to that short list, just because I thought they had a little bit more redeeming qualities to them. For example, Hedberg had that nice run in 2001 for Pittsburgh... and Kidd for a few years was at least considered it pretty good starter, he even got in the All Star game that one time.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 08:23 PM
  #94
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I'm pretty sure 70ies was referring to his 85-86 season with the Jets, since Hayward played roughly 1200 minutes in two combined seasons with the Sharks.
Ah, right, the .842 save percentage.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 01:09 PM
  #95
MXD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 33,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post

I considered both of those guys, but in the end I couldn't add them to that short list, just because I thought they had a little bit more redeeming qualities to them. For example, Hedberg had that nice run in 2001 for Pittsburgh... and Kidd for a few years was at least considered it pretty good starter, he even got in the All Star game that one time.
...They just seem inferior to Fiset, who was actually a pretty consistent as a slightly-below-league average tender for his whole career. Probably can't win with him, but not the kind to cost a playoff appearance due to his (lack of) performance either (in that, if you missed with him, you probably would've missed anyways).

Hedberg and Kidd definitely struck me as guys who could ultimately be the explanation as to why a team finished 12th in its conference when they were "off" (which was not a unique event).

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 01:34 PM
  #96
seventieslord
Student Of The Game
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
...They just seem inferior to Fiset, who was actually a pretty consistent as a slightly-below-league average tender for his whole career. Probably can't win with him, but not the kind to cost a playoff appearance due to his (lack of) performance either (in that, if you missed with him, you probably would've missed anyways).

Hedberg and Kidd definitely struck me as guys who could ultimately be the explanation as to why a team finished 12th in its conference when they were "off" (which was not a unique event).
I took a look and Kidd/Fiset both managed to maintain league average sv% over the span of their careers. Hedberg ended up 6 points below which is not great, and seems to indicate he's a tier below either, 2001 notwithstanding.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 01:38 PM
  #97
MXD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 33,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I took a look and Kidd/Fiset both managed to maintain league average sv% over the span of their careers. Hedberg ended up 6 points below which is not great, and seems to indicate he's a tier below either, 2001 notwithstanding.
Kidd is odd, in that he wasn't exactly the calibre of starting goalie a team is looking for, but appeared to play better with a heavier workload (if you ignore 99-00).

Come to think of it, he probably doesn't belong in that group either, since he was significantly better during his first 280 games than he was for his last 100.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:11 PM
  #98
JoeCool16
Registered User
 
JoeCool16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Fukufuji looks pretty bad here:

All goalies since 2000 with at least 60 minutes played:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...order_by_asc=Y

...but he's still only 7th on the list! Yikes!
He's only barely an NHL goalie though... playing 4 games is a cup of coffee in the NHL. If we're talking about guys that only played a few games, Subban has to be in the conversation right now. I hope he can make it work and I haven't really seen him beyond world juniors and his two NHL games, but he has never looked good to me.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 06:37 PM
  #99
kytem2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,945
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Just coming into the thread to nominate Skorodenski just in case nobody remembered him. Watching him play for the Blackhawks against the Oilers he looked like he was actually trying to jump out of the way of pucks heading towards the net. Shocked the hell out of me when the Oilers signed him.
Very true, so odd. John Davidson was doing color commentary and he actually used this phrase as a compliment to describe Skorodenski:

"He plays crazy goal".

kytem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 12:42 AM
  #100
El Cohiba
Registered User
 
El Cohiba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: under the sunshine
Country: Aruba
Posts: 335
vCash: 500
Marek Schwarz is the worst I've seen. Can't believe he was first rounder
Honorable mention to Jack Campbell. Total whiff by Niewy

El Cohiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.