HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SERIES TALK: Eastern Conference Final | Penguins vs. Senators Pt. 2 | Series Tied

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2017, 12:44 PM
ncm7772

vCash: 500
Going to watch the game, going to support the team no matter what, but I have zero confidence the Pens win tonight, and less than zero confidence they win the series. They simply can't overcome these injuries. Not trying to be Buzz Killington, but man, things don't look good right now.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:50 PM
PensPlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectify View Post
You say we should have won game 1 easily and then say we've been dominated? How does that make any sense? Especially since we were easily better in game two than game one... so...
If I told you the Sens were going to take 4 penalties, including a long 5 on 3, in the first period alone, and also the Sens won't score in the second or third.... Who do you think wins the game? Easy Pens win. But no. In reality that Sens controlled the game, even when they were defending.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:55 PM
TNT87
Defending Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensPlz View Post
If I told you the Sens were going to take 4 penalties, including a long 5 on 3, in the first period alone, and also the Sens won't score in the second or third.... Who do you think wins the game? Easy Pens win. But no. In reality that Sens controlled the game, even when they were defending.
Major missed opportunity there. The put one in there and this series might be 2-1 Pens.

Old
05-19-2017, 12:58 PM
vodeni

I still believe geno and sid will carry the team. The killer is we cannot score in bunches unless third and fourth line score. Fourth line for all their effort can't score, third line (Bonino) is just plain awful, Brandon Sutter level awful, that is where puck dies...
my only gripe with Sully is why doesn't see address that and I don't take injuries issue, you have 4 capable centers play them and add some fresh young legs,

Bonino's switch is definitively lost along the way, no flipping it this time

Old
05-19-2017, 12:59 PM
TNT87
Defending Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I respect the guts this decision took. Whether it works out or now, remains to be seen. I think some posters are way overplaying the morale thing here. If this team could handle the two goalie crap all season, they can handle it for game 4 in the conference finals. This game really matters and they aren't going to suck because they are feeling down for their friend.
I agree. They are 7 wins from becoming the first team to win back to back Cups in 20 years. If they are feeling bad for MAF then their priorities aren't straight.

MAF has done a great job getting them this far. Hell, they wouldn't be here without him but I don't mind this decision in the least.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:00 PM
TNT87
Defending Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
I still believe geno and sid will carry the team. The killer is we cannot score in bunches unless third and fourth line score. Fourth line for all their effort can't score, third line (Bonino) is just plain awful, Brandon Sutter level awful, that is where puck dies...
my only gripe with Sully is why doesn't see address that and I don't take injuries issue, you have 4 capable centers play them and add some fresh young legs,

Bonino's switch is definitively lost along the way, no flipping it this time
I haven't noticed Bonino since his GWG in Game 1 against the Caps. With the way he finished the season I was hoping we would see the same guy we saw last postseason. Unfortunately we haven't. He needs to pick up the slack along with other players who have done squat like Sheary and Kunitz.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:01 PM
monk112
Rookie User

S. Crosby C 20:42
J. Guentzel C 19:53
P. Kessel RW 18:55
C. Kunitz LW 18:03
C. Sheary LW 17:50
C. Rowney RW 17:11
E. Malkin C 16:02

Sullivan needs to give more TOI for Malkin

Old
05-19-2017, 01:03 PM
ZeroPucksGiven

Quote:
Originally Posted by monk112 View Post

Agreed. Lost in there is the 18 (EIGHTEEN!!) mins to kunitz. Terrible bench mgmt

Old
05-19-2017, 01:03 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

A full 2mins more than Malkin, how the **** does Sullivan see that and justify playing Kunitz that much? It's just disgusting.

Like many others, I want the Pens to win tonight, but I have very little faith in it. And usually I am all about Sullivan and trusting him but in this series, the faith has dwindled an incredible amount. Even if the D is banged up, the team should be well structured enough to survive and with the elite talent we have, thrive with scoring, but no, literally 1.0 GPG.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT87 View Post
I agree. They are 7 wins from becoming the first team to win back to back Cups in 20 years. If they are feeling bad for MAF then their priorities aren't straight.

MAF has done a great job getting them this far. Hell, they wouldn't be here without him but I don't mind this decision in the least.
That's what bothers me so much, they are so close to getting back to the Finals but moronic coaching decisions is what might cost us. Put aside the pride and the stubbornness and do something bold.

Nah, just play Kunitz in the top 6 and preach that moronic "Play our game"...I remember the last coach that was that stubborn for us.

Yes I'm frustrated.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:09 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
7D for this team is a nightmare. Our Defense coach isn't the greatest either, I feel like when you give him that extra option, it really messes with the defense settling in and getting comfortable, I don't get why this team is so reluctant on creating units and sticking to them, we get pairs that stick together on forwards and sometimes on Defense, it will last a few games. Crosby & Guentzel and Malkin & Kessel are the only pairings this team has kept for a long time at this point.

Pick 6 on D, stick with it. Get 12 forwards in so if Sullivan/Tocchet is going to tinker, he has some options. As in, if Kunitz sucks again, shaft him to the 4th where he belongs (because we all know he's gonna be in the top 6 to start) and limit his minutes and rotate the energy guys into the top 6. Dress Archibald.

Crosby's RW should be either Rowney or Archibald, someone that is able to cycle and have good board play and isn't an abomination defensively (Sheary).

Guentzel, Crosby, Archibald
Wilson, Malkin, Kessel
Hagelin, Bonino, Rowney
Kunitz, Cullen, Sheary
7D paralyzes your ability to switch things up if things become stale. If you're missing a center, 11F becomes easier because you double shift your 3 centers. Given the fact that we are icing 5 centers, it means you have wing slots open. No wing right now is doing a good enough job to warrant being double shifted and there's some mental block out there about putting centers without centers. Want to run 11F? Fine. Toss out Guentzl-Sid-Malkin then HBK a couple times. Last game they really botched the opportunities to make double shifting stars impactful.

So either do the right thing can kick Streit back to the press box and run 12 forwards (and for god sakes switch the lines up a bit) or double shift properly and get Sid and Geno some time together.

Quote:

Gross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPucksGiven View Post
Agreed. Lost in there is the 18 (EIGHTEEN!!) mins to kunitz. Terrible bench mgmt
Kunitz got some PK time when Cullen was in the box. That;s why Rowney is also ahead of him.

But, to your point, 100%, Malkin and Sid and Kessel need to be closer to 20min this game. When you have this many injuries, the roll 4 lines and balance act goes right out the window.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Uemoda
Formerly OminousGrey

I think we play differently in front of Murray. More offensive, less collapsing. Our zone time this playoffs is night and day from last. A big part of that is Letang, but I also thing our mentality/trust in our goalie influences that.

Archibald also might be in tonight to take Streit's roster spot. He should've been in forever ago - he's a sparkplug.

I'm optimistic. I feel bad for Fleury on a personal level, but this is the shakeup we need. If only Kunitz could get fired into the sun and Sprong thrown in his place....but there's not a coach in the league who makes that risky move for a rookie.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:10 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodeni View Post
Its not balls, its what he believes, we know he thinks that MM is a better goalie..thats why he plays him..

He thinks Kunitz is our best option for a LW2 thats why he plays him there not because he does not have balls
I'm more referring to not playing guys like sprong and Archie when we are desperate for a goal.

But you're probably right in that he believes Sheary and Kunitz give us a better chance to win than those two I mentioned. I disagree. I could see if Sheary played a strong 2 way game, but not only is he not scoring he is a liability every time he touches the puck. And its not like he's a 8 year vet. He's still a very young player...there's no reason not to try Archie or sprong over him

Old
05-19-2017, 01:13 PM
TNT87
Defending Champs

Quote:

There's no excuse for that. At all.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:14 PM
BeatenLikeRentedMule

HBK were the x-factor last year. Without them, we win nothing last year which is why we won't this year.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:17 PM
molon labe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatenLikeRentedMule View Post
HBK were the x-factor last year. Without them, we win nothing last year which is why we won't this year.
We were leaning on a crutch with Schultz - him being out, along with our warrior Hornqvist is what's killing us. We've already beaten the top team and former top team in the league in the first two rounds this playoffs alone... HBK this season has nothing to do with it.

What we need is a consistent scoring line (HBK last year..) with complementary scoring around it. I'm looking at Sid, as Geno is stuck with Kunitz. From there we certainly need a miracle from that D corps.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:18 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uemoda View Post
I think we play differently in front of Murray. More offensive, less collapsing. Our zone time this playoffs is night and day from last. A big part of that is Letang, but I also thing our mentality/trust in our goalie influences that.

Archibald also might be in tonight to take Streit's roster spot. He should've been in forever ago - he's a sparkplug.

I'm optimistic. I feel bad for Fleury on a personal level, but this is the shakeup we need. If only Kunitz could get fired into the sun and Sprong thrown in his place....but there's not a coach in the league who makes that risky move for a rookie.
Its hard to feel optimistic at this point but all it takes is one win. So many things are going wrong with this team right now. When one or two things are wrong...it can be covered up because of our other players. But right now...

1. Hornqvist, Rust , and Schultz are all out. Those guys were leading the team in points behind Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, and Guentzel. Clutch players who score timely goals (rust and Hornqvist) are exactly what is needed right now.

2. Sheary is a complete mess. I don't expect anything from him the rest of the playoffs.

3. Hagelin was hurt, and hasn't been the same since. Not at full speed, but also doesn't have a player like kessel on his line to help out. Bonino has been a problem too.

4. Defense. Nothing more needs to be said.

5. Seems like Guentzel hit that rookie wall. He's in his head a little bit and probably adding more pressure to score. The shots he's been taking were going in before. He's also making worse decisions with the puck. He hasn't been bad , he just isn't at the level he was before. Which we couldn't expect to last...again...thats something we could get by with if we didn't have so many other problems.

6. Because of all that, we are trying to figure out which goalie won't allow 1-2 goals.

The guys that would step up are out, and the ones in the lineup aren't. So we are down to Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel. Basically the same problem we had in the playoffs a few years ago. Take out Kessel and add Neal(then Hornqvist).

But all it takes is one win, and a few of those things I listed can change. Get this series tied up and go back home. Best of 3 with 2 games at home.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:19 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
There's no wrong move here. All strategic and line options won't matter a lick when you consider who's missing.

This move is being made to potentially squeeze a few more ounces out of this dried up lemon. I 100% approve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakawick View Post
I think Sully is trying something to motivate the team, there is certainly risk in making the change, but he did give himself an out. Isn't it canny though that in the ECF's this year and last we are making a goalie change in a critical game. Let's hope for a better result than last year.
The only small thing i'm concerned about, and i'm talking small concern, is if we go down 1 goal, some of the Vets look to Sully's move in a negative way. Granted i love what he's done for accountability, but a move like this would set a guy like Letang, if he were playing, off because the way DB/Shero had the organization.

If Sens grab a lead in the first minute, could you see some of the Vets shut down at that point? I'd love to say no, but it open the window, IMO.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:26 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
The only small thing i'm concerned about, and i'm talking small concern, is if we go down 1 goal, some of the Vets look to Sully's move in a negative way. Granted i love what he's done for accountability, but a move like this would set a guy like Letang, if he were playing, off because the way DB/Shero had the organization.

If Sens grab a lead in the first minute, could you see some of the Vets shut down at that point? I'd love to say no, but it open the window, IMO.
I don't see that happening. Sully is too much of a presence to let them get distracted by the optics of the move.

I trust our leaders to respond the right way as well. None of them complained about MM taking over the starting job last year or during the regular season this year. Don't see them starting now.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:26 PM
monk112
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT87 View Post
There's no excuse for that. At all.
Maybe sullivan doesn't like when Malkin is overly emotional out there? anyway now it's
time to take everything out of Malkin he should be relatively fresh.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Ballsy move but I like it. I think starting Murray grabs the skaters' attention way more than going back to Fleury, at this point. And I think that is what Sullivan is trying to do more than anything else.

Also, let's face it: Matt Murray is and has always been Mike Sullivan's No. 1 netminder. Always.

The key tonight is to score first. Make a few key saves early, score early, and quiet down both the crowd and the Senators' big hitters.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:32 PM
SEALBound
Fancy Conor McSheary

I hope Sullivan whips these guys into a lather and gets them to come out swinging. We've come out terrible every game this post season. Sens came out ready to fight. This is a team that wants to knock us square on our *****. And they can.

Boys need to come out fighting and get the lead.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:34 PM
Clare2904

vCash: 400
Ok, completely different game day routine as it is obvious now that the old way is cursed.

Different t-shirt on
Leaving earlier than normal
Going to go to a different petrol station
No Burger King on the way to the arena
Going to use a different carpark

Old
05-19-2017, 01:34 PM
JimmyTwoTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

If we go down 1 goal we are probably done anyways. 8-1 when scoring first. 1-5 when not. That's a ridiculous stat. All of our wins besides one we scored first.

Old
05-19-2017, 01:36 PM
Old Gregg
I'm Old Gregg!!

Quote:

Malkin needs more ice time but how many pim did he get last game? He's been taking quite a few lately

Closed Thread