HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Old
05-13-2017, 09:45 PM
ottawa

vCash: 100
What I'd like to see fixed is trade offers...when I want to trade a guy like Galchenyuk, it'd be nice not to get a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round pick offers.

05-14-2017, 12:04 AM
Lebowski
El Duderino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
What I'd like to see fixed is trade offers...when I want to trade a guy like Galchenyuk, it'd be nice not to get a bunch of 2nd and 3rd round pick offers.
Yeah, and in the same line of thought, making it easier to dismiss multiple ****** offers quickly.

I limit myself these days to trade only on deadline day and at the draft so that when I accept an offer, it automatically declines the dozen others that weren't even worth a second thought to begin with.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2017, 01:41 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
Hope a dB releases that fixes the rookie issue. Not playing till it happens.
It will

05-15-2017, 08:44 AM
Captain Dave Poulin
Imaginary Cat

I still haven't found a practice schedule that works well enough for me. It seems like my players are still getting hurt a lot, without necessarily growing any faster. I'm not looking for miracle formulas or anything, because the players are still fmostly fine, but I have used the old one from Mplasse, and I tried the ones from Shindig on TBL, and I'd like to try something different that works without me having to monitor progress after every few games - I want to set it for the season and then leave it until the playoffs, if possible.

If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them, especially when it comes to how many I can put on intensive, how many on medium, etc., so I can customize them myself.

Captain Dave Poulin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 03:41 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Dave Poulin View Post
I still haven't found a practice schedule that works well enough for me. It seems like my players are still getting hurt a lot, without necessarily growing any faster. I'm not looking for miracle formulas or anything, because the players are still fmostly fine, but I have used the old one from Mplasse, and I tried the ones from Shindig on TBL, and I'd like to try something different that works without me having to monitor progress after every few games - I want to set it for the season and then leave it until the playoffs, if possible.

If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them, especially when it comes to how many I can put on intensive, how many on medium, etc., so I can customize them myself.
Honestly I find the practice bores me so I leave it permanent set to all intense. I don't find the players get tired very often (only if a d is at 30+ mins a game or fwd at 24+mins a game) and it doesn't seem to change the injury level for me. But I haven't done much testing and just don't want to be micromanaging that.

The only annoying thing is if you do that and try to get a player to learn a new position the player gets mad instantly. Which I think is kinda ridiculous, but oh well.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 05:14 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Honestly I find the practice bores me so I leave it permanent set to all intense. I don't find the players get tired very often (only if a d is at 30+ mins a game or fwd at 24+mins a game) and it doesn't seem to change the injury level for me. But I haven't done much testing and just don't want to be micromanaging that.

The only annoying thing is if you do that and try to get a player to learn a new position the player gets mad instantly. Which I think is kinda ridiculous, but oh well.
If practice bores you, why do you do it manually rather than having the head coach handle it? I've always had my HC do it, and I'm wondering if that's a mistake.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 05:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
If practice bores you, why do you do it manually rather than having the head coach handle it? I've always had my HC do it, and I'm wondering if that's a mistake.
I find my players always regress badly when head coach is handling it. Can't develop any players.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2017, 11:17 AM
Lebowski
El Duderino

So I've been hitting homeruns in the draft lately and I just had a 25-2 start to a season with a team almost entirely made of players under 25 years old.

Old
05-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Braeden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
It will
Does this issue still happen when loading up with the newest dB?

Itching to start a new dynasty soon.

Braeden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:20 PM
Alessandro Seren Rosso

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
Does this issue still happen when loading up with the newest dB?

Itching to start a new dynasty soon.
Yes. You will need a 9.5 and I hope to release it soon.

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Savi

Send a message via ICQ to Savi
I don't know if this is a known glitch or not, but I'll mention it anyway.

Whilst managing in the CHL I've had on a couple of occasions foreign players who played in the World Juniors in one year, and weren't selected the next. However, even if not selected, the game seems to think they still were, because during the WJC they have the "Int" tag next to their name and are unavailable.

I've got a Finnish winger for instance in my current season, but he's an overager so can't even be selected for the World Juniors if he wanted to. He did play last season as a 19 year old. And yet, there's the "Int" tag again..

Savi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 07:32 AM
FacepalmBenning
...---... ...---...

vCash: 558
Sup dudes,

About a dozen of us on the Canucks board want to get get a EHM Network game going but we can't seem to figure out how to do it. Can anyone direct me to a Network game tek or have knowledge how to get the computers to connect? Thank you.

FacepalmBenning is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Anyone ever managed to get "star" reputation as a GM? Seems capped off at "superb" for me.

Old
05-20-2017, 07:57 AM
ShatteredGlass
∞ Posts Deleted :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
Anyone ever managed to get "star" reputation as a GM? Seems capped off at "superb" for me.
Not sure if it's possible to be any higher than "superb". I could definitely be wrong, though.

I have a "Superb" GM rep and still can't get picked up to be a GM of any National Teams. They keep going with much worse GMs with low attributes and "Good" reputations over me.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 02:52 PM
hockey17jp
Lets Go Jackets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredGlass View Post
Not sure if it's possible to be any higher than "superb". I could definitely be wrong, though.

I have a "Superb" GM rep and still can't get picked up to be a GM of any National Teams. They keep going with much worse GMs with low attributes and "Good" reputations over me.
In my 1998 DB I've developed Heatley, Kane, Ovechkin, Crosby, and Keith into stars. Pavel Bure turned into a star Assistant Coach for me as well.

In this '98 DB I've admittedly abused the AI by purposefully acquiring the draft picks necessary to pick stars like Ovechkin, Crosby, Kessel, Heatley, Keith, Doughty, etc, but it's been really fun to see how dominant one team can be in this game.

I'm currently in the year 2019 and Ovechkin and Heatley both have over 2000 points in their careers so far. Ovechkin has broken 100 goals and 200 points three times and has over 1000 goals in his career. Crosby and maybe Kessel will likely finish their careers with over 2000 points as well.

This team has won 17 straight Stanley Cups and scores around 6-7 goals per game. I'm trying to see how many crazy records I can set and break.

hockey17jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 08:44 PM
grewalZ40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredGlass View Post
I've been having trouble getting selected as a gm for a national team for a while, I've done some tests with the saved file editor. I maxed out all the stats on my gm profile and still was not selected. On other saved files I won 5 consecutive cups and was not selected once again. I'm not sure if its a bug or if the game only allows gms that aren't already gms of an nhl team to be selected for national teams. What I do is add a gm to the game and select a national team before hand.

grewalZ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 04:00 AM
ShatteredGlass
∞ Posts Deleted :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grewalZ40 View Post
I've been having trouble getting selected as a gm for a national team for a while, I've done some tests with the saved file editor. I maxed out all the stats on my gm profile and still was not selected. On other saved files I won 5 consecutive cups and was not selected once again. I'm not sure if its a bug or if the game only allows gms that aren't already gms of an nhl team to be selected for national teams. What I do is add a gm to the game and select a national team before hand.
I definitely think this is the case. Has to be a bug of some sort.

I created a new GM who currently has no team, and has also had trouble being hired as GM of a national team. I'm going to try it your way and just put yet another new GM on a team from the start.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Braeden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Yes. You will need a 9.5 and I hope to release it soon.
Thanks

Braeden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 08:43 PM
nbonaddio
BELLOWS: THE BEST

Quote:
So I've been hitting homeruns in the draft lately and I just had a 25-2 start to a season with a team almost entirely made of players under 25 years old.

Severe spoiler alert.

I've probably played more EHM than anyone on Earth - including racking up an undefeated season (76-0-6, with the Lightning) - and there's definitely, definitely a pattern to drafting. The game (at least from the roster pack I've been using) doesn't ever really randomize the careers of the players. If you want a leg up, the following guys almost ALWAYS develop into elite players:

2017, in general order of eventual ability:
Timothy Liljegren
Kristian Veselainen
Maxime Comtois
David Farrance
Louis-Filip Cote
Antoine Morand

2018:
Rasmus Dahlin
Bode Wilde
Oliver Wahlstrom
Urho Vaakanainen
Gregori Denisenko
Andrei Svechnikov

Other guys may develop to elite players in one out of every four or five simulations, these dudes do it in almost every one I've ever done, provided you're slow with them and hire coaches with >15 youth attributes.

What this will eventually mean is that you've got a very young, very skilled team. To draft these guys, you'll likely also have traded a bunch of your veterans - that's fine. Now just set your tactics to high space, low hitting, high pressure with coaches who favor attacking and work great with young players.

As they price themselves out, trade for draft picks (the AI is horrible at this, btw, and since there's no real reason to have any semblance of organizational depth, you should be able to have 4-5 1st round picks every year), scout the draft like crazy, and repeat the cycle. I usually end up winning 15-20 straight Cups with this strategy before I get bored and start over.

nbonaddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 02:42 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbonaddio View Post
Severe spoiler alert.

I've probably played more EHM than anyone on Earth...
Really? What is the longest career, you played?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbonaddio View Post
and there's definitely, definitely a pattern to drafting.
Common. That only 2 draft years. Hardly to say, that you cracked the game and you have the pattern. Its well know, that your players are on the top of every rankings.

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Snowman

Quote:

Would you mind posting what you look for when drafting? Key attributes, etc. I'm trying to get more consistent in drafting, but I'm not sure what attributes to look for.

Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 01:28 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Would you mind posting what you look for when drafting? Key attributes, etc. I'm trying to get more consistent in drafting, but I'm not sure what attributes to look for.
As a general rule of thumb, I'd say avoid defensive forwards and defensive defensemen. I've had a few pan out for me, but it's extremely rare.

In the early rounds, look for players that have good wristshots/slapshots/passing. Skating in the green is also a good bonus, but I've had players with acceleration and speed in the yellow turn out great for me, so it's not a must. Favor players with high potential in the earlier rounds. Also a bonus if they have high mental attributes.

In the later rounds, potential tends to be a lot less of a reliable measure I find. At that point, I really look for the offensive stats I mentioned earlier unless my scouts unanimously recommend a player. What that happens, there's a good chance you've found a diamond in the rough.

Overall, as long as you get a lot of picks in the first 3 rounds, you'll get your fair share of high-end players.

Old
05-22-2017, 01:42 PM
JadedLeaf

Quote:
As a general rule of thumb, I'd say avoid defensive forwards and defensive defensemen. I've had a few pan out for me, but it's extremely rare.

In the early rounds, look for players that have good wristshots/slapshots/passing. Skating in the green is also a good bonus, but I've had players with acceleration and speed in the yellow turn out great for me, so it's not a must. Favor players with high potential in the earlier rounds. Also a bonus if they have high mental attributes.

In the later rounds, potential tends to be a lot less of a reliable measure I find. At that point, I really look for the offensive stats I mentioned earlier unless my scouts unanimously recommend a player. What that happens, there's a good chance you've found a diamond in the rough.

Overall, as long as you get a lot of picks in the first 3 rounds, you'll get your fair share of high-end players.
I think the game really puts more priority on scoring goals than it does defensive play. At least that's what the player ratings seem to tell me. I've also noticed that defensive minded players tend to "miss" more often than not.

JadedLeaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 01:57 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadedLeaf View Post
I think the game really puts more priority on scoring goals than it does defensive play. At least that's what the player ratings seem to tell me. I've also noticed that defensive minded players tend to "miss" more often than not.
It really depends... The best average ratings I've ever seen have usually been from defensive defensemen playing on the AI. There's a 41 years old defensive defenseman in my sim that has a 8.05 career average rating that peaked at 8.99 with several more over 8.5. He has 7 Norris trophies, 4 Hart and 1 Lester B. Pearson.

And that's while playing for the AI.

I haven't had as much success personally with defensive defensemen, but I can sometimes make it work with defensive forward. I have one right now that just finished with a 8.10 and has a career average of 7.78. Typically, I find that defensive players with strong ratings in junior leagues will tend to have strong ratings in the NHL, whereas those with poor junior ratings (you come across guys in the low 6, sometimes even 5.xx) will tend to be poor performers at the NHL level, even if their attributes look good at face value.

Old
05-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Snowman

Quote:

Thanks, that helps. What do you mean by good wristshots/slapshots/passing? Do they have to all be in the green as a minimum?

Also, does flair and or creativity make a big difference? What about teamwork and work rate? I don't usually take a guy with less than 10 for either of those.

Another thing I usually do is see what my scouts say about the guy's hockey sense. If it is less that C, I won't touch him, I usually won't go below B-. Do you use that at all?

Sorry, for all the questions. It's just nice to be able to pick someone else's brain on this.

Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote