HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Baseball MLB, MiLB, NCAA, International

2017 MLB Regular Season Thread - Part 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2017, 12:18 AM
  #551
ChrisK97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Since there are some Oakland A's fans on here, I wanted to get your thoughts on the A's of recent years:

From 2000-2014, Oakland had stretches where they were among the best teams in baseball, but always had trouble in the postseason- more specifically, an astonishing failure to win series clinching games.

They were an alarmingly bad 1-13 in LDS games where just one win would have had them popping champagne.

Of course, one of the long-running annual yearly threads on HFBoards centers on why Alex Ovechkin and his Washington Capitals always stumble in round 2 of the playoffs.

Now maybe it's a little egregious to compare Oakland ALDS woes to that of Ovechkin and the Caps' troubles in the second round since the A's weren't ever considered the favorite to win it all, but that round has seemed to be their stumbling block in a similar way.

(Ironically, the one they made an ALCS was the 2006 team, probably not the strongest squad Beane's had over his long run of good teams- sorta like of all the Caps team in the past 25 years, only in 1998 did they go deep in the playoffs).

Crazy to compare Beane's A's to Ovy's Caps?


Last edited by ChrisK97: 05-19-2017 at 12:23 AM.
ChrisK97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 12:19 AM
  #552
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 18,213
vCash: 500
these past midnight Dodger games are when I miss Vin the most

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 12:41 AM
  #553
PopaneNightscare
Ready to Donskore
 
PopaneNightscare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK97 View Post
Since there are some Oakland A's fans on here, I wanted to get your thoughts on the A's of recent years:

From 2000-2014, Oakland had stretches where they were among the best teams in baseball, but always had trouble in the postseason- more specifically, an astonishing failure to win series clinching games.

They were an alarmingly bad 1-13 in LDS games where just one win would have had them popping champagne.

Of course, one of the long-running annual yearly threads on HFBoards centers on why Alex Ovechkin and his Washington Capitals always stumble in round 2 of the playoffs.

Now maybe it's a little egregious to compare Oakland ALDS woes to that of Ovechkin and the Caps' troubles in the second round since the A's weren't ever considered the favorite to win it all, but that round has seemed to be their stumbling block in a similar way.

(Ironically, the one they made an ALCS was the 2006 team, probably not the strongest squad Beane's had over his long run of good teams- sorta like of all the Caps team in the past 25 years, only in 1998 did they go deep in the playoffs).

Crazy to compare Beane's A's to Ovy's Caps?

I predict CloweMe will say that the playoffs are a crapshoot.

The A's arguably have never had a great clutch hitter in the playoffs (a Miggy, Posey) so they've never really had an Ovy.

BTW, is your team the Cubs?

PopaneNightscare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 12:49 AM
  #554
ChrisK97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopaneNightscare View Post
I predict CloweMe will say that the playoffs are a crapshoot.

The A's arguably have never had a great clutch hitter in the playoffs (a Miggy, Posey) so they've never really had an Ovy.

BTW, is your team the Cubs?
Probably by default yes, but that's moreso due to location than any favoritism/recency/bandwagonism (I live in an area of Wisconsin that's very close to the Illinois state border- in that area, our cable provider has the channels that shows most of the Cubs games.)


Last edited by ChrisK97: 05-19-2017 at 01:05 AM.
ChrisK97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:33 AM
  #555
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,497
vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Words do have different meanings though. Take queer for example. I know many people in the LGBTQ community that self-identify with that word, and others that are offended by it and don't understand why some identify with it. That word can be used as both a self-identification and in a derogatory way. There is no way you can ever eliminate that kind of stuff. Unfortunately in life you will always have homophobes and racists.

Obviously Pillar is not a homophobe, but my point is, words have different meanings, and context is very important. The South Park episode, "The F Word" comes to mind. Generally yes, it's a very bad look, but I don't think he should've been suspended, and typically in these cases, public pressure becomes ridiculous.
I just wish all these critics had cameras and huge followings around their daily lives...lurking...waiting..being that fly on the wall...just waiting for that slip up, only to blow it out of large proportions.

It's like people are surprised this word is said by our ever beloved athletes.

__________________

BOOMSTICK, BABY!
PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:35 AM
  #556
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,497
vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
What a black eye for Pillar and the Jays. Especially after the beer throwing and Bautista fight. Bad boys of Baseball.
This will be a story for like another week then it'll all be forgotten and brought up on occasion over time.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:37 AM
  #557
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 42,497
vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK97 View Post
The Mariners bullpen......... welp.
Dipoto has done a fantastic job, and Servais is a great manager! All is well in Seattle!

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 02:17 AM
  #558
Terry Yake
Registered User
 
Terry Yake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 9,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK97 View Post
Since there are some Oakland A's fans on here, I wanted to get your thoughts on the A's of recent years:

From 2000-2014, Oakland had stretches where they were among the best teams in baseball, but always had trouble in the postseason- more specifically, an astonishing failure to win series clinching games.

They were an alarmingly bad 1-13 in LDS games where just one win would have had them popping champagne.

Of course, one of the long-running annual yearly threads on HFBoards centers on why Alex Ovechkin and his Washington Capitals always stumble in round 2 of the playoffs.

Now maybe it's a little egregious to compare Oakland ALDS woes to that of Ovechkin and the Caps' troubles in the second round since the A's weren't ever considered the favorite to win it all, but that round has seemed to be their stumbling block in a similar way.

(Ironically, the one they made an ALCS was the 2006 team, probably not the strongest squad Beane's had over his long run of good teams- sorta like of all the Caps team in the past 25 years, only in 1998 did they go deep in the playoffs).

Crazy to compare Beane's A's to Ovy's Caps?
2000 and 2001-ran into the dynasty yankees who had way more postseason experience. dye breaking his leg in '01 was a pretty big blow too.

2002-entered the postseason hot but everything just kinda fell flat in that twins series. no consistency at all with the offense and the starting pitching

2003-went up 2-0 but couldn't close out the series. a couple freak plays did them in like byrnes getting tagged out after not touching home and tejada getting tagged out after coming off the bag to argue a play

2006-easily the worst of the beane era A's teams to make the playoffs and somehow they're the only ones who advanced past the LDS. they just ran into a better detroit team

2012-verlander

2013-verlander

2014-still don't want to talk about it

baseball in my opinion involves the most amount of luck required to win it all. it's the hardest championship to win in the 4 major sports. the A's teams that have made the playoffs since 2000 have never really screamed to anyone "built for the postseason." there's never been that guy who comes out of nowhere to be the playoff hero nor have they gotten hot at the perfect time to put together a successful postseason. aside from 2002 and maybe 2003, i really wouldn't call any of the other A's postseason losses "chokes." they simply lost to teams better than they were

although you gotta admit, for a team working with the payroll the A's are and operating the way they do, making the playoffs 8 times in 16 years is pretty impressive

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 02:26 AM
  #559
BGDDYKWL
Registered User
 
BGDDYKWL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
It's mind-boggling to me how people don't understand the problem with what that idiot Bautista does. Read up on the work Paul Ekman has done on facial expressions, you will learn all you need to know. Fascinating stuff. You give a random person a series of facial expressions and they'll do a very good job of assessing whether the person is angry, excited, sad, scared, etc. This isn't because they've studied microexpressions at great length, it's because evolution has fine-tuned our ability to decipher these subtle differences.

No one has a problem with a guy hitting a homer, getting excited, pumping his fist, looking at HIS OWN dugout and flipping his bat or raising his arms or cheering or whatever. Bautista's actions are not that of excitement/joy. They are that of anger/confrontation. When he stares at that pitcher anyone on earth can see that's not a look of unbridled enthusiasm, it's a confrontational scowl saying I just got the better of you. BIG difference. Truly amazing that I haven't heard ONE person on any sports show explain this. They all associate it with showing emotion and or passion. They're completely missing the point.

As for Pillar, his apology was embarrassing. What he did on a scale of 1-10 was like a 0.5, and his apology was that of someone who just committed murder. Sorry, but calling someone that you're mad at a ****** just isn't a big deal. My God society is getting soft. You'll hear far worse said on every pickup basketball court in America on a daily basis. If in the heat of the moment I call someone a ******* do I have to then apologize to every non two-parent child in the world? I mean come on.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 07:13 AM
  #560
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 15,390
vCash: 500
Welp...Jays certainly gave the last middle finger on the way out of town.

Ouch.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 02:20 PM
  #561
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 9,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Fargo accent alert on Brewers broadcast.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 03:23 PM
  #562
ChrisK97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,930
vCash: 500
This Brewers lineup..... I don't think this is a June swoon or a team that fades after the All-Star break. They seem legit.

OK, maybe their pitching staff isn't exactly Greinke/Gallardo from 2011, but between their patience, their bats, and their ridiculous ability to seemingly always get balls/walks/not swing at bad pitches, that lineup is capable of holding up for the long haul.

Kind of like the 2015 Twins.

I can see the Brewers as a team that hangs around and isn't eliminated until the final 5-7 days.


Last edited by ChrisK97: 05-19-2017 at 03:36 PM.
ChrisK97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 03:38 PM
  #563
rangerssharks414
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 22,641
vCash: 1227
Why is Schwarber trying to catch that ball? That was almost on the infield.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 03:46 PM
  #564
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 9,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK97 View Post
This Brewers lineup..... I don't think this is a June swoon or a team that fades after the All-Star break. They seem legit.

OK, maybe their pitching staff isn't exactly Greinke/Gallardo from 2011, but between their patience, their bats, and their ridiculous ability to seemingly always get balls/walks/not swing at bad pitches, that lineup is capable of holding up for the long haul.

Kind of like the 2015 Twins.

I can see the Brewers as a team that hangs around and isn't eliminated until the final 5-7 days.
Hoping for Guerra to come back and continue what he did last year. Nelson has looked decent so far. Davies should improve and hopefully two of Hader, Woodruff and Lopez can fill out the rotation sooner than later.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 04:10 PM
  #565
Eyedea
The Legend Continues
 
Eyedea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Greece
Posts: 22,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
It's mind-boggling to me how people don't understand the problem with what that idiot Bautista does. Read up on the work Paul Ekman has done on facial expressions, you will learn all you need to know. Fascinating stuff. You give a random person a series of facial expressions and they'll do a very good job of assessing whether the person is angry, excited, sad, scared, etc. This isn't because they've studied microexpressions at great length, it's because evolution has fine-tuned our ability to decipher these subtle differences.

No one has a problem with a guy hitting a homer, getting excited, pumping his fist, looking at HIS OWN dugout and flipping his bat or raising his arms or cheering or whatever. Bautista's actions are not that of excitement/joy. They are that of anger/confrontation. When he stares at that pitcher anyone on earth can see that's not a look of unbridled enthusiasm, it's a confrontational scowl saying I just got the better of you. BIG difference. Truly amazing that I haven't heard ONE person on any sports show explain this. They all associate it with showing emotion and or passion. They're completely missing the point.

As for Pillar, his apology was embarrassing. What he did on a scale of 1-10 was like a 0.5, and his apology was that of someone who just committed murder. Sorry, but calling someone that you're mad at a ****** just isn't a big deal. My God society is getting soft. You'll hear far worse said on every pickup basketball court in America on a daily basis. If in the heat of the moment I call someone a ******* do I have to then apologize to every non two-parent child in the world? I mean come on.
Society is getting soft, and yet you continually complain about Bautista's competitive nature.

Eyedea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 05:38 PM
  #566
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 20,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerssharks414 View Post
why is schwarber trying to catch that ball? That was almost on the infield.

hockeykicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 05:48 PM
  #567
AdmiralsFan24
Registered User
 
AdmiralsFan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 9,885
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
That's on Baez. There's no way that a left fielder should have to field a ball that's 5 feet on the outfield grass.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 06:19 PM
  #568
hockeykicker
Moderator
 
hockeykicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 20,682
vCash: 500

hockeykicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 06:46 PM
  #569
Terry Yake
Registered User
 
Terry Yake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 9,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykicker View Post
wow that's just sad

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 09:46 PM
  #570
SniperHF
Mod Supervisor
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 25,065
vCash: 500
Jesus the Diamondbacks are up 8-0 and the top of the first isn't even over yet

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:29 PM
  #571
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 35,076
vCash: 50
Graveman > Sale


#sarcasm

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:47 PM
  #572
KaylaJ
i bent my wookie
 
KaylaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: hell
Country: United States
Posts: 18,213
vCash: 500
i really don't like these Dback jerseys, though the snake is nice, and the Padres look like a UPS baseball team.

KaylaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:57 PM
  #573
OrioleWay
Jailbait
 
OrioleWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Aruba
Posts: 8,680
vCash: 500
preller is terrible, they should find a real gm

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 11:04 PM
  #574
Clowe Me
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 530
Country: Uzbekistan
Posts: 35,076
vCash: 50
Chris Sale won't ever be elite because he doesn't know how to win, like Arietta.

Clowe Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 11:07 PM
  #575
OrioleWay
Jailbait
 
OrioleWay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Aruba
Posts: 8,680
vCash: 500
castillo becomes mike trout since the returm from the dl. he puts everything in the play with excellent result.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.