HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yannick Weber signs with preds

Old
07-19-2016, 05:21 AM
HABsurde

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
Price to sign with Nashville? Free agent in 2018.

Just saying y'all
If Rinne contract is over by then or someone is willing to trade for him, i would not be surprise....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2016, 08:35 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
If Rinne contract is over by then or someone is willing to trade for him, i would not be surprise....
Actually, Rinne's contract ends in 2018-2019...

EDIT; as for Weber. I'm curious as to where on the depth chart he ends up.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2016, 08:38 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Actually, Rinne's contract ends in 2018-2019...

EDIT; as for Weber. I'm curious as to where on the depth chart he ends up.
I'd say that will depend on his performance. I'd say he would be given an outright shot at #5/6 to start and depending on how that goes he may become #7.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2016, 08:59 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
I'd say that will depend on his performance. I'd say he would be given an outright shot at #5/6 to start and depending on how that goes he may become #7.
I see his stats and I question if he's not the 7th dman. I think Granberg should be interesting. He's the youngest dman but had the 5th highest TOI/g Remember, he was recovering form a torn Achilles when he played last yr

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2016, 09:30 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I see his stats and I question if he's not the 7th dman. I think Granberg should be interesting. He's the youngest dman but had the 5th highest TOI/g Remember, he was recovering form a torn Achilles when he played last yr
I don't see why Poile would buyout Jackman if the intentions were to play Granberg with Bitetto to start.

Old
07-19-2016, 11:23 AM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Quote:
I don't see why Poile would buyout Jackman if the intentions were to play Granberg with Bitetto to start.
To save money...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2016, 12:06 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
To save money...
I guess my thought was more on the Cap hit next year when we need to resign Johansen. Although his isn't much, his combined with the others is a good amount of dead space.

Old
07-19-2016, 12:19 PM
tampa pred

Quote:
To me, this is the biggest indication that he is going with Grandberg. Once Jackman fell to #7 on the depth chart, he became too expensive to keep. You don't pay Jackman $3 million to sit in the pressbox when you can pay a Y. Weber the league minimum to do the same.

tampa pred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2016, 12:24 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampa pred View Post
To me, this is the biggest indication that he is going with Grandberg. Once Jackman fell to #7 on the depth chart, he became too expensive to keep. You don't pay Jackman $3 million to sit in the pressbox when you can pay a Y. Weber the league minimum to do the same.

Given the option of Jackman or Granberg I can see that. But now they have someone else who could possibly play there. IDK what to think, I just feel like Weber will have to get outplayed in order for him to be the scratch.

Edit: something interesting. Granberg is not listed on the Preds roster, nor is he listed as "In the System". At first I thought it was because of the arbitration issue, but Jarnkrok is on there.

http://predators.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Old
07-19-2016, 01:33 PM
year1fan

Weber has been pretty average for a career but he isn't chopped liver. He's probably the best veteran D signing Poile has made. And he's still younger than most of those other signings. I look for him to be rotating with Granberg with some PP time. That is, if Granberg signs.

year1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2016, 09:24 AM
Donzo

Didn't want to start a new thread for this minor question, but I'm just curious if Preds fans think their D is "set" for next season? Is there confidence in Y. Weber/Bitetto/Granberg as the 5/6/7 D, or is there a sense that those guys can't take enough pressure off of the big guns? I see that Weber averaged just under 19:00 TOI in Vancouver and both Granberg and Bitetto averaged under 14:00 TOI, so unless those numbers come up a little that's going to put a lot of mileage on the top 4.

Donzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2016, 09:52 AM
Legionnaire11
BucketPred Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
Didn't want to start a new thread for this minor question, but I'm just curious if Preds fans think their D is "set" for next season? Is there confidence in Y. Weber/Bitetto/Granberg as the 5/6/7 D, or is there a sense that those guys can't take enough pressure off of the big guns? I see that Weber averaged just under 19:00 TOI in Vancouver and both Granberg and Bitetto averaged under 14:00 TOI, so unless those numbers come up a little that's going to put a lot of mileage on the top 4.
If Josi and Subban are paired together, they can go 25+ minutes, Ekholm and Ellis 20+ and then that third pair only needs 14 minutes.

Another scenario would be Ekholm/Josi and Subban/Ellis pairings each skating 22-23 minutes. And then the third still only needs around 14.

So the third pair really isn't the question here, it's more a question of can Ekholm and Ellis go from 20 to 22-23?

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2016, 10:08 AM
sukimono

He's a defenseman that cannot play defense

sukimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2016, 11:40 AM
year1fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
If Josi and Subban are paired together, they can go 25+ minutes, Ekholm and Ellis 20+ and then that third pair only needs 14 minutes.

Another scenario would be Ekholm/Josi and Subban/Ellis pairings each skating 22-23 minutes. And then the third still only needs around 14.

So the third pair really isn't the question here, it's more a question of can Ekholm and Ellis go from 20 to 22-23?
You're correct but it would be great if the 5/6/7 could pull more minutes to save energy for the 1/2/3/4 late in the season and playoffs. In past years it seemed the D went into playoffs pretty tired.

Old
07-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post

Something else to consider this year is the season is compressed again thanks to the world (but not really world) cup like it was in Olympic years. I feel like this will play a role in the ice time assignments.

Old
07-22-2016, 12:20 AM
sparkle twin
Goals? Nah, I pass.

Quote:
Something else to consider this year is the season is compressed again thanks to the world (but not really world) cup like it was in Olympic years. I feel like this will play a role in the ice time assignments.
That's true, but teams also have a bye week this season, 5 full days off. Ours is Feb.13-17. It's not a long time, but it will help.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2016, 10:35 AM
Joe Cole

Great shot, but waits and waits and waits and waits to use it. Result, he passes up more chances to shoot then he should. Good skater.

Defensively, as a Hab, he was horrible. Maybe it was the scrutiny, maybe youth....but he treated the puck like a grenade. Poor decisions and slow reactions.

Possibly he improved a Canuck, I did not see him as often. That said, they were very thin on D and he never became a go-to player.

As well, physically...he brings nothing to the table. He has no mean streak at all.

I wish him and the Preds all the best, but he will not be a solution for your team.

P.S. I miss Subban already.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Eye of Ra
Mr.Negativo

good season?

Eye of Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:21 PM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eye of Ra View Post
good season?
He's been a solid bottom pairing defenseman. I couldn't ask for much more than what Irwin\Weber do in their 11-15 mins per game.

We haven't seen as much of the shot as advertised, but he's also been much better defensively than I expected.

05-19-2017, 01:47 PM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

Weber has been great as a bottom pairing defenseman, plays a safe game with fewer errors. I'm more nervous when Irwin has the puck tbh (tho he has been fine too). Would definitely be fine with Weber coming back again next year.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 01:55 PM
Drake744
Swedish House Mafia

vCash: 344
I remember one game kinda early in the season I posted in a GDT something like "Am I the only one who doesn't think Weber sucks?" and several people were like haha no I don't either.

Point being I think he's played well, like others have said.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 07:42 PM
year1fan

Lots said about the top 4 and rightly so but Preds have one of the best 5/6 in the league; if not the best. No offense but pretty solid defensively and Irwin has been in top4 frequently and performed well. Preds definately have top D in the league.

Old
05-23-2017, 10:25 AM
nomorekids
The original, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by year1fan View Post
Lots said about the top 4 and rightly so but Preds have one of the best 5/6 in the league; if not the best. No offense but pretty solid defensively and Irwin has been in top4 frequently and performed well. Preds definately have top D in the league.
I think Irwin's good season owes a lot to playing with Josi -- he does look decidedly different and at times bad when he's on the third pair.

Like someone else said, I think Irwin is our worst regular d-man...but he's still not "bad"

nomorekids is offline   Reply With Quote