HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League Thread Pt. X-2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2017, 07:42 PM
  #901
StIllmatic
Registered User
 
StIllmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohnnyCanuck View Post
Are you referring to us? If you are then show me where we lost our #1 center.
Both our top two centeres were injured. Kesler could barely skate, Hank actually still hurting the following preseason so he missed a significant chunk of training camp due to his back following year. Not to mention we lost our 3rd line center, Malhotra, on one of the best 3rd lines in the league right before playoffs started. We would have been screwed if Gillis didn't knock the ball out of the park that trade deadline.

StIllmatic is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 08:29 PM
  #902
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 31,883
vCash: 500
Ottawa's power play is bad, post 2011 Canucks bad..

EpochLink is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 08:47 PM
  #903
PM
Still retooling
 
PM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 8,383
vCash: 500
Our only healthy centre in 2011 was Lapierre. Pens fans are just a bunch of whiners, their two franchise players are still playing fine. If Crosby has a concussion he shouldn't be playing at all and Letang is always hurt, you can't count on him to be healthy.

PM is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 09:03 PM
  #904
McMatthews
Registered User
 
McMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 6
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drop View Post
Speaking of idiots.....

Sarcasm dude
Oh. Well, if that's the case, my bad.

McMatthews is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 09:09 PM
  #905
mathonwy
#LindenMustGo
 
mathonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMatthews View Post
Oh. Well, if that's the case, my bad.
Begone knave!

Leave us to wallow in our morass of acrimony and self pity

mathonwy is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 09:48 PM
  #906
McMatthews
Registered User
 
McMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 6
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathonwy View Post
Begone knave!

Leave us to wallow in our morass of acrimony and self pity
Your situation isn't any worse than we had it here.

It will get better but Benning can't be there. Unless he has some kind of amazing record of trades, he's shown he has no plan in place and is pulling a Nonis.

McMatthews is offline  
Old
05-19-2017, 09:52 PM
  #907
PM
Still retooling
 
PM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 8,383
vCash: 500
**** Anderson blew it tonight. And get this Leafs crap out of here, that's what the main boards is for. Last time I checked no Leafs are still playing NHL hockey games right now.

PM is online now  
Old
05-19-2017, 11:59 PM
  #908
The Drop
Rain Drop, Drop Top
 
The Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMatthews View Post
Your situation isn't any worse than we had it here.

It will get better but Benning can't be there. Unless he has some kind of amazing record of trades, he's shown he has no plan in place and is pulling a Nonis.
There's no Matthews on the horizon. Or Marner. Or Nylander.

We have a solid proven player in Horvat and that's it

The Drop is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 12:14 AM
  #909
Hit the post
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 6,484
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMatthews View Post
Your situation isn't any worse than we had it here.
Come on now....the Harold Ballard years were a LONG time ago.

Hit the post is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 12:41 AM
  #910
StIllmatic
Registered User
 
StIllmatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMatthews View Post
Your situation isn't any worse than we had it here.

It will get better but Benning can't be there. Unless he has some kind of amazing record of trades, he's shown he has no plan in place and is pulling a Nonis.
Yea that Nonis signing of Clarkson is pretty damn similar to Eriksson. I doubt Eriksson's contract gets moved though...

StIllmatic is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 12:46 AM
  #911
firstemperor
Registered User
 
firstemperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drop View Post
There's no Matthews on the horizon. Or Marner. Or Nylander.

We have a solid proven player in Horvat and that's it
Things can change pretty quickly. Canucks get a good complimentary piece in this draft and Dahlin next year, and they suddenly look like one of the best young teams in the league again. It's early but Dahlin, so far, looks like the best D-1 prospect I've seen since Seth Jones.

firstemperor is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 01:27 AM
  #912
mathonwy
#LindenMustGo
 
mathonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,308
vCash: 500
What's with all these Leaf fans dropping by to "console" us?

When they were sucking, I'm pretty sure nobody from here was consoling them.

Nope... it was straight out schadenfreude.

And we haven't even hit rock bottom yet.

This ****ing blows.

mathonwy is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 01:30 AM
  #913
oooooooooohCanada
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninsFan View Post
Pretty innocent play. Really shows how the wear and tear of playoff hockey just breaks down the body as the rounds progress. Gotta imagine Kesler's physical play in the first couple games didn't help RyJo out.
From everything I've read it sounds like it was a freak injury. He played the rest of the game and everything and then had emergency surgery all of a sudden. The twitter docs think it may have been some sort of blood clot thing / high risk injury.

oooooooooohCanada is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 01:52 AM
  #914
The Drop
Rain Drop, Drop Top
 
The Drop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,916
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathonwy View Post
What's with all these Leaf fans dropping by to "console" us?

When they were sucking, I'm pretty sure nobody from here was consoling them.

Nope... it was straight out schadenfreude.

And we haven't even hit rock bottom yet.

This ****ing blows.
It's fun hating good teams is my guess. Having competitive Canadian teams makes it fun.

The Canucks are a sad joke

The Drop is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 02:13 AM
  #915
Giraffe Sandwich
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMatthews View Post
Your situation isn't any worse than we had it here.

It will get better but Benning can't be there. Unless he has some kind of amazing record of trades , he's shown he has no plan in place and is pulling a Nonis.
... Nope. Benning couldn't win at go fish against a ham sandwich.

Giraffe Sandwich is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 11:30 AM
  #916
McMatthews
Registered User
 
McMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 6
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drop View Post
There's no Matthews on the horizon. Or Marner. Or Nylander.

We have a solid proven player in Horvat and that's it
On the bright side, the only real bad contracts you have are Eriksson and Sutter.

Eriksson has injury problems and eventually might go in LTIR, no?

Aside from those two things, it's just a matter of trading all these late 20's and early 30 year old players for picks and prospects.

This thing can turn around in 24 months. I just don't think Benning can maximize return on these assets you guys have.

It's not all doom and gloom. At least it looks like your management won't go out and overpay for UFA's this summer.

Signing UFA's at big money is the worst possible thing for a rebuild.


Last edited by McMatthews: 05-20-2017 at 11:43 AM.
McMatthews is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 11:39 AM
  #917
McMatthews
Registered User
 
McMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 6
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StIllmatic View Post
Yea that Nonis signing of Clarkson is pretty damn similar to Eriksson. I doubt Eriksson's contract gets moved though...
As long as he's not helping you guys win meaningless games, the Eriksson contract won't hurt your rebuild too much.

Your team doesn't need the cap space through a proper rebuild anyway.

McMatthews is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 11:49 AM
  #918
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninsFan View Post
Is that like a Conn Smythe for losers?

Benning drafts guys who can win games - 16 wins to be exact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMatthews View Post
As long as he's not helping you guys win meaningless games, the Eriksson contract won't hurt your rebuild too much.

Your team doesn't need the cap space through a proper rebuild anyway.
Why not?

Good teams use that space to become weaponized. They trade their cap space for assets. We are a cap strapped team that has a mediocre prospect pool, and is the worst team in the NHL over the last two seasons.

racerjoe is online now  
Old
05-20-2017, 11:54 AM
  #919
McMatthews
Registered User
 
McMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 6
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
Why not?

Good teams use that space to become weaponized. They trade their cap space for assets. We are a cap strapped team that has a mediocre prospect pool, and is the worst team in the NHL over the last two seasons.
I'm looking at CapFriendly and you guys have a ton of cap space after 2017/18.

Is there something I'm missing?

McMatthews is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 12:36 PM
  #920
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMatthews View Post
I'm looking at CapFriendly and you guys have a ton of cap space after 2017/18.

Is there something I'm missing?
It doesn't have current players extensions (Horvat, Beartschi, among them) plus we still need to sign people to replace some of those outgong contracts, a #1 Goalie... it goes super quick. Just like this season. Looks good until you start to plug players in.

racerjoe is online now  
Old
05-20-2017, 12:36 PM
  #921
mathonwy
#LindenMustGo
 
mathonwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,308
vCash: 500
Rebuilding teams don't need cap space!?!?!?!?!?!?


mathonwy is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 12:56 PM
  #922
CanaFan
Registered User
 
CanaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeninsFan View Post
Is that like a Conn Smythe for losers?

Benning drafts guys who can win games - 16 wins to be exact.
You're underestimating Benning. His team won 30 games last year and that is way more than 16.

And if he continues to build this team the way he has so far then I don't see why we couldn't get that number up to 32, maybe even 33 wins in the next few years.

Truly the future is blinding for this club.

CanaFan is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 01:01 PM
  #923
McMatthews
Registered User
 
McMatthews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 6
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerjoe View Post
It doesn't have current players extensions (Horvat, Beartschi, among them) plus we still need to sign people to replace some of those outgong contracts, a #1 Goalie... it goes super quick. Just like this season. Looks good until you start to plug players in.
If you're rebuilding and planning to lose, you don't need a #1 goaltender for the next couple years. A good #1 goalie will ruin your tank.

You can also get away with grabbing unsigned UFA's in August/September to low contracts and flipping them at the deadline for picks. Also, you guys should be playing younger players on ELC rather than going out and replacing outgoing contracts.

I'm sure there is plenty of cap space to get through the next 2-3 years. Eriksson's deal might be a nuisance but I don't think it'll affect you too much for now.

McMatthews is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 01:03 PM
  #924
Bowie Horvat
BowieYzermanFanatic
 
Bowie Horvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,091
vCash: 53
i like how iam being told a strategy to draft 1st overall whatever is new jerseys secret

Bowie Horvat is offline  
Old
05-20-2017, 01:03 PM
  #925
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,402
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMatthews View Post
If you're rebuilding and planning to lose, you don't need a #1 goaltender for the next couple years. A good #1 goalie will ruin your tank.

You can also get away with grabbing unsigned UFA's in August/September to low contracts and flipping them at the deadline for picks. Also, you guys should be playing younger players on ELC rather than going out and replacing outgoing contracts.

I'm sure there is plenty of cap space to get through the next 2-3 years. Eriksson's deal might be a nuisance but I don't think it'll affect you too much for now.

RobertKron is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.