HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT MLB history of expansion

Old
05-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Dirty Old Man
Still Hangin'

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
So when their home state Kansas City Athletics moved to Oakland in 1967, influential US Senator Fife Symington and later, Sen. Tom Eagleton threatened to get a law passed to remove baseball's anti-trust exemption if baseball didn't either block the move or get Kansas City another team.
You probably meant his cousin Stuart there? (Fife was governor of Arizona)

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 08:29 PM
benwood79

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
The Tip Tops were Brooklyn's entry in the Federal League. The Bridegrooms eventually became the Dodgers.

What I think would be interesting is if somebody had the patience (and time) to do one of these for each of the present affiliated Minor Leagues. It'd be interesting to see the International League again when it was truly International, for instance, or the Hawaii Islanders pilgrimage from California to Hawaii to Colorado or the Southern League's abandonment of the Carolinas to become the League it is now centerer around TN, MS, AL, and FL.
Good idea. I remember my mind being blown recently learning that the Eastern League had multiple teams in Quebec during the 70s.

benwood79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 08:58 PM
Gnashville
One and Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
The Tip Tops were Brooklyn's entry in the Federal League. The Bridegrooms eventually became the Dodgers.

What I think would be interesting is if somebody had the patience (and time) to do one of these for each of the present affiliated Minor Leagues. It'd be interesting to see the International League again when it was truly International, for instance, or the Hawaii Islanders pilgrimage from California to Hawaii to Colorado or the Southern League's abandonment of the Carolinas to become the League it is now centerer around TN, MS, AL, and FL.
I know the Bridegooms became the Dodgers and the Beaneaters became the Braves.
Southern League had the Carolina Mudcats recently. I don't know why they are in it anymore.
Havana Cuba also had a minor league team once the Sugar Kings in the international league.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 01:31 PM
garnetpalmetto
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I know the Bridegooms became the Dodgers and the Beaneaters became the Braves.
Southern League had the Carolina Mudcats recently. I don't know why they are in it anymore.
Havana Cuba also had a minor league team once the Sugar Kings in the international league.
Havana being in the IL was where my comment about the IL truly being International stemmed from (well Havana along with Ottawa, Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal).

As for why the Mudcats stepped down from Double-A to High-A, travel got to be too much both from a cost perspective and a scheduling perspective, especially after Wilmington, NC and Greenville, SC lost their Southern League clubs. Part of the agreement between MLB and MiLB is that if a team has to travel a certain distance by bus, they have to have a rest day. The MiLB team can apply for a waiver, but the problem is with the closest team to Zebulon being the Tennessee Smokies (365 miles away), the Mudcats were routinely having to do that to the point where the Mudcats were being told they wouldn't be getting any more waivers.

At the same time, Pensacola, FL had a new stadium and owners who were wanting to move from Indy ball to the affiliated minor leagues, so they offered Steve Bryant an offer he couldn't refuse. Bryant then turned around and bought the High-A Kinston Indians and relocated them to Zebulon and voila - you're now in the Carolina League where your farthest drive (Wilmington, DE) is about the same distance as what you were driving to Tennessee.

05-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian

vCash: 4700711
When baseball first expanded in 1961 it was a league issue and the American League wanted a team in Los Angeles which became the Angels. The other expansion team (Washington) was born out of racism.

The owner of the Washington Senators wanted to move to Minnesota because the demographics in the Twin Cities were more to his liking so the American League allowed him to move to Minnesota in 1961 and a new expansion team was granted to Washington. The Red Sox who owned the Minnesota territory (AAA) were also looking at moving as Tom Yawkey saw no future in Fenway Park.

Both leagues expanded to stop the Continental League from joining MLB.

Quote:
The Continental League was the idea of attorney William Shea, proposed in November 1958. On July 27, 1959, the new league was formally announced, with teams in Denver, Houston, Minneapolis–St. Paul, New York City, and Toronto. The name of the league was said to have been the suggestion of Colorado senator Edwin C. Johnson.

Representing the team owners at the announcement were Bob Howsam (Denver), Craig F. Cullinan, Jr. (Houston), Wheelock Whitney Jr. (Minneapolis–St. Paul), Dwight F. Davis, Jr., who was representing the group headed by Joan Whitney Payson (New York), and Jack Kent Cooke (Toronto). Owners in each city had agreed to pay US$50,000 to the league and committed to a capital investment of $2.5 million, not including stadium costs. A minimum seating capacity of 35,000 was established by the league for the venues in which its teams would play.

At least three other teams were expected to be in place before play began in 1961, and the league said it had received applications from 10 cities. The three that were later selected were Atlanta, Buffalo (backed by Robert O. Swados), and Dallas/Ft. Worth. Former Dodgers president Branch Rickey was named league president. Appearing in that capacity as a guest on the live network broadcast of What's My Line on Sunday, September 13, 1959, he pronounced the new league as "Inevitable as tomorrow morning."

On February 18, 1960, Rickey and Cooke announced an opening date of April 18, 1961

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

vCash: 1122
That's really cool. I liked when it got into the 70s and all the logos corresponded the the baseball cards I collected.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote