HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

NHL will not participate in 2018 Pyeongchang Olympic Games

Old
05-17-2017, 01:44 AM
Mayuu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckfan75 View Post
Possible Death Blow To 2018 Olympics

All Star Game in Tampa Bay

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/tampa-...-sh&soc_trk=tw
Yeah, let's replace OG with an exhibition game sounds like a great plan.

Mayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 02:07 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Perhaps some compromise could be struck, as with football at the Olympics. It is basically U23+3 older players. That deal was made to level the competition, not because FIFA had objections against the Olympics. It would take players from the NHL, sure, but perhaps not that many so that it had to disrupt the season for NHL.

Given that more than 2/3 of NHL-players come from less than a handful countries and that countries have a limited squad it will not drain all the NHL of talent. E.g. you can just have a team with X players but half of the NHL-players are Canadian.

Some teams might suffer more from this U23 arrangement, depending on how many players they need to send. But say that all teams had to have a couple of players as healthy scratches alternatively send them to the Olympics. That would even the losses out among the teams.

One could also state that a couple of players need to be U20 (say 3 to make it symmetrical to the 3 +U23 players), in order to minimize the effect on NHL.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 02:14 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

The NHL gets absolutely nothing from the Olympics. The Olympics need the NHL a hell of a lot more than the other way around.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 04:41 AM
pilkos pump pant

I'll care about no hockey in the olympics the same amount I care when I see gas drop a few cents on my way home from filling the tank.

pilkos pump pant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 03:22 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
The NHL gets absolutely nothing from the Olympics. The Olympics need the NHL a hell of a lot more than the other way around.
That is totally untrue if you mean in general, which is the way you put it. The trademark of NHL is a dead pixel on a screen of the Olympics.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 03:33 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
That is totally untrue if you mean in general, which is the way you put it. The trademark of NHL is a dead pixel on a screen of the Olympics.
I agree with FishSand here. As has been shown many times here, there is absolutely zero fan interest/money that is driven to the NHL because of hockey being played at the Olympics, whether the NHLers are there or not. IOC refuses to allow NHL to use any photos or videos of their own NHL players in action at the Olympics without paying the Olympics for them. That continues to re-inforce that there is NO benefit to the owners from the Olympics (Individual players is a different matter, of course).

Olympic hockey, on the other hand, will bring in fewer viewers without NHL players. And, that will affect the bottom line for the IOC. So, in truth, IOC needs NHL more than NHL needs IOC.

Of course, you could argue that the difference to the IOC is very small, and they rake in the cash any way, so NEED is, of course, a relative term.....

MNNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Icedog2735

So I wonder this ... Is it safe to say the NBA continues to go to the Summer Olympics for the sole reason that it does not conflict with their season? They get no financial benefit or digital rights to the Olympic content, so do they continue to allow their players to go because it gives them two weeks of off season exposure? What is the benefit for the NBA over the NHL?

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 08:31 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog2735 View Post
So I wonder this ... Is it safe to say the NBA continues to go to the Summer Olympics for the sole reason that it does not conflict with their season? They get no financial benefit or digital rights to the Olympic content, so do they continue to allow their players to go because it gives them two weeks of off season exposure? What is the benefit for the NBA over the NHL?
I'm not sure the NBA could stop the players even if they wanted. I doubt playing basketball is a prohibited off-season activity for them.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 09:41 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Yes. If they ever moved basketball to the winter games, I seriously doubt the NBA shuts down to send players.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 11:04 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
fwiw, some NBA owners have spoken out against going to the Olympics at all. Most notably Mark Cuban.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 11:20 AM
rj

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNNumbers View Post
I agree with FishSand here. As has been shown many times here, there is absolutely zero fan interest/money that is driven to the NHL because of hockey being played at the Olympics, whether the NHLers are there or not.
While I in general agree with this, there is also the potential for a lot of negative publicity towards the NHL by consumers and media in the U.S. if they see a college/ECHL lineup lose to a KHL Russian team 7-1. Whether the NHL plays in the tournament or not, the Olympic ice hockey tournament is still taking place, the U.S. will still be taking part, and their games will still be televised to millions of people.

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 12:38 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
fwiw, some NBA owners have spoken out against going to the Olympics at all. Most notably Mark Cuban.
I remember this too. Would have to look for the article but I remember Cuban talking about the same NHL-esque argument, why send the players to the Olympics when we can run a best-on-best tournament run by the NBA and make the money.

Old
05-18-2017, 04:21 PM
djpatm

NHL loses credibility when the biggest Hockey stars in the US aren't NHL players but college hero's that win medals at the olympics.

No NHL game will ever carry the clout of a gold medal game.

Sure, the NHL might not gain anything from going to the Olympics but it just pushes it further into obscurity.

It'd be great if the union walked out for those two weeks and the players went. Unfortunately, I don't think the players care enough.

djpatm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 05:26 PM
Nino33

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpatm View Post
NHL loses credibility when the biggest Hockey stars in the US aren't NHL players but college hero's that win medals at the olympics.

Is there anything you base this on?
You think more Americans were aware of the Canada/Sweden 1994 Olympic gold medal game than they were of the NY Rangers Stanley Cup win?

I remember the Olympics before the NHL was involved...most games weren't even televised (especially in the US); they had to scramble to show the games in 1980 when the US collegians upset the Russians (the games were shown on tape delay and not live in the US, despite the fact the games were played in the US)

IMO what's far more likely to happen if the NHL isn't involved in the Olympics is in Canada and the US the Olympics will have as much importance as the Worlds (essentially no one in NA will care)

It's not the same as it was in 1980, the Russians are almost all playing in the NHL now too, no one's going to care about a tournament of lower level players playing who everyone knows are not the world's best (no credibility lost to the NHL, but most definitely credibility lost by the Olympics)

And maybe if the US actually makes it to a medal game there might be some brief attention on the game, but to think some college players will become more well known/popular than NHL stars because of the Olympics is fantasy thinking

Without NHL involvement the Olympics are "something to watch" and they don't have any "clout" at all IMO (nor do they have any credibility)

Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 06:32 PM
USAUSA1

Quote:

Sure, the NHL might not gain anything from going to the Olympics but it just pushes it further into obscurity.

It'd be great if the union walked out for those two weeks and the players went. Unfortunately, I don't think the players care enough.
I don't get fans that like strikes,walkouts, etc.

USAUSA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 08:41 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAUSA1 View Post
I don't get fans that like strikes,walkouts, etc.
Nobody likes that, but if you're a fan of a small market team you should probably appreciate the situation today more than what it was like 20 years ago.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 09:29 AM
canuckfan75

I think the China Olympics will be the last one for the NHL no matter what.

The NHL owns the World Cup and and the Business model has huge potential if they stop going to the Olympics and make the World Cup the Premier Best on Best tournament. They will also have to move it to Feb 14 to Feb 28.

all the media and casual fans who only follow the game if there team is going far int he playoffs or a Team Canada game will cry foul. but eventually they will follow in line and call the World Cup the best thing they have seen

canuckfan75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 09:17 PM
varsaku

vCash: 480
Quote:

The NHL owns the World Cup and and the Business model has huge potential if they stop going to the Olympics and make the World Cup the Premier Best on Best tournament. They will also have to move it to Feb 14 to Feb 28.

all the media and casual fans who only follow the game if there team is going far int he playoffs or a Team Canada game will cry foul. but eventually they will follow in line and call the World Cup the best thing they have seen
The World Cup is just an invitational. I like seeing some of the smaller hockey nations take on the bigger ones and try to pull off an upset. That's what makes the World Championships and the Olympics great. If you see the FIFA World Cup, only a hand full of teams have ever won it yet still everyone watches.

varsaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 12:17 PM
Voight
SZN

vCash: 520
Quote:

I belive the IIHF when they say the NHL can't pick and choose which Olympics to go to. Mind you the players will likely opt out of the CBA before 2022 and make sure Olympic participation is written into the next one.

The World Cup will never be as profitable as it can be unless they get rid of Team Euro and Team U23. Its not an authentic best on best tournament (like the OG) when you have two made up fairy tale teams.

Voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 12:19 PM
Voight
SZN

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I'm not sure the NBA could stop the players even if they wanted. I doubt playing basketball is a prohibited off-season activity for them.
Thats the thing too. Because you can just as easily get injured playing a game at your local gym as you can playing in the Olympics. All it takes is an awkward fall or for you to land the wrong way.

Besides, the NBAPA actually has some sort of power and is partially led by LeBron James & Chris Paul, the NBA would be smartest to let the players take part in Olympic basketball and keep them happy.

Voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 12:37 PM
garbageteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by varsaku View Post
The World Cup is just an invitational. I like seeing some of the smaller hockey nations take on the bigger ones and try to pull off an upset. That's what makes the World Championships and the Olympics great. If you see the FIFA World Cup, only a hand full of teams have ever won it yet still everyone watches.
The World Cup didn't have to be the silly mickey mouse tournament that it was, and there is nothing inherently preventing them from doing one properly in the future i.e. a 8 or 12 team tournament with qualifications for spots. The dismal ratings and buzz along with the almost universal backlash against the 2016 edition should dissuade them from ever attempting a Mickey Mouse 2.0 attempt... if they ever attempt another World Cup at all

garbageteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 10:20 AM
Icedog2735

Quote:

I don't think the NHL loses credibility for making a business decision. You aren't going to find too many upset people still waking up early in the morning in the US b/c of the time difference with South Korea cursing the NHL while watching an amateur team USA.

That being said, I do wonder what the make up of these teams will be. Is the NCAA going to be enthusiastic about having their players leave midseason? Yes, it is a small pool of players but I would have to think there are hurdles there.

Old
05-26-2017, 12:11 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
I don't think the NHL loses credibility for making a business decision. You aren't going to find too many upset people still waking up early in the morning in the US b/c of the time difference with South Korea cursing the NHL while watching an amateur team USA.

That being said, I do wonder what the make up of these teams will be. Is the NCAA going to be enthusiastic about having their players leave midseason? Yes, it is a small pool of players but I would have to think there are hurdles there.
The problem I have is ''NHL doesn't make anything out of it because it is in South Korea''.

But if it was in Vancouver Canada or Salt Lake City USA, like it was in the past...oh it makes boat load of sense for NHL...suddenly.

If people don't watch it because it's in South Korea, they won't watch it more because its in North America.

In the end, it will be that the Olympic Gold in 2018 doesn't mean anything because even tho South Africa won, there were no NHL players so its crap. Oh but the one Canada/USA won in 2022 in China, that's a true win because those teams were composed of 100% NHL players. That's honestly ******** I have issue with.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 01:18 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

As always, this conversation boils down to whether or not there's any morality for businesses beyond profit and loss.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 01:36 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
As always, this conversation boils down to whether or not there's any morality for businesses beyond profit and loss.
Correct. And.....

1- NHL has no morality beyond money.

2- Even if they did, they certainly have no moral obligation to support IOC, which has even less morality beyond money.

MNNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote