HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Draft Predictions/Preferences

Old
05-17-2017, 12:59 PM
Rexx

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberyn View Post
Not a fan of Rasmussen at all, personally. I hope we steer clear of him even if he falls to us.
I agree. If Suzuki falls to 20 and we pick Rasmussen over him I'll be pretty upset. There are quite a few players projected in the 10's and 20's that I'd take over Rasmussen.

Rexx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:11 PM
MortiestOfMortys

Well, just to keep things in perspective, this one: https://recrutes.ca/ has the Blues winding up with Liljegren and Kostin (the two biggest fallers in the draft), and Rasmussen, Suzuki, and Thomas all gone by pick #13. It has also, in past iterations, had us taking Jake Oettinger in the first round so... \_(ツ)_/

MortiestOfMortys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 01:17 PM
carter333167

May 12 Mock Draft from TSN

1. New Jersey Devils: Nico Hischier, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
2. Philadelphia Flyers: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)
3. Dallas Stars: Miro Heiskanen, D, HIFK (SM Liiga)
4. Colorado Avalanche: Gabe Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)
5. Vancouver Canucks: Cody Glass, C/RW, Portland (WHL)
6. Vegas Golden Knights: Michael Rasmussen, C/LW, Tri-City (WHL)
7. Arizona Coyotes: Cale Makar, D, Brooks (AJHL)
8. Buffalo Sabres: Timothy Liljegren, D, Timra (SWE-Als)
9. Detroit Red Wings: Elias Pettersson, C, Timra (SWE-Als)
10. Florida Panthers: Casey Mittelstadt, C, Green Bay (USHL)
11. Los Angeles Kings: Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
12. Carolina Hurricanes: Martin Necas, C, Brno (CZE)
13. Winnipeg Jets: Juuso Valimaki, D, Tri-City (WHL)
14. Tampa Bay Lightning: Cal Foote, D, Kelowna (WHL)
15. New York Islanders: Nick Suzuki, RW, Owen Sound (OHL)
16. Calgary Flames: Lias Andersson, LW/RW/C, HV71 (SHL)
17. Toronto Maple Leafs: Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D, Charlottetown (QMJHL)
18. Boston Bruins: Kristian Vesalainen, LW, HPK (SM Liiga)
19. San Jose Sharks: Ryan Poehling, C, St. Cloud State (NCAA)
20. St. Louis Blues: Eeli Tolvanen, RW, Sioux City (USHL)
21. New York Rangers: Shane Bowers, C, Waterloo (USHL)
22. Edmonton Oilers: Kole Lind, RW, Kelowna (WHL
23. Arizona Coyotes (from MIN): Erik Brannstrom, D, HV71 Jr. (SWE-J20)
24. Columbus Blue Jackets: Robert Thomas, C, London (OHL)
25. Montreal Canadiens: Kailer Yamamoto, RW, Spokane (WHL)
26. Chicago Blackhawks: Urho Vaakanainen, D, Jyvaskala (SM Liiga)
27. St. Louis Blues (from WSH): Conor Timmins, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)

carter333167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Frenzy1
Christ Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter333167 View Post
May 12 Mock Draft from TSN

1. New Jersey Devils: Nico Hischier, C, Halifax (QMJHL)
2. Philadelphia Flyers: Nolan Patrick, C, Brandon (WHL)
3. Dallas Stars: Miro Heiskanen, D, HIFK (SM Liiga)
4. Colorado Avalanche: Gabe Vilardi, C, Windsor (OHL)
5. Vancouver Canucks: Cody Glass, C/RW, Portland (WHL)
6. Vegas Golden Knights: Michael Rasmussen, C/LW, Tri-City (WHL)
7. Arizona Coyotes: Cale Makar, D, Brooks (AJHL)
8. Buffalo Sabres: Timothy Liljegren, D, Timra (SWE-Als)
9. Detroit Red Wings: Elias Pettersson, C, Timra (SWE-Als)
10. Florida Panthers: Casey Mittelstadt, C, Green Bay (USHL)
11. Los Angeles Kings: Owen Tippett, RW, Mississauga (OHL)
12. Carolina Hurricanes: Martin Necas, C, Brno (CZE)
13. Winnipeg Jets: Juuso Valimaki, D, Tri-City (WHL)
14. Tampa Bay Lightning: Cal Foote, D, Kelowna (WHL)
15. New York Islanders: Nick Suzuki, RW, Owen Sound (OHL)
16. Calgary Flames: Lias Andersson, LW/RW/C, HV71 (SHL)
17. Toronto Maple Leafs: Pierre-Olivier Joseph, D, Charlottetown (QMJHL)
18. Boston Bruins: Kristian Vesalainen, LW, HPK (SM Liiga)
19. San Jose Sharks: Ryan Poehling, C, St. Cloud State (NCAA)
20. St. Louis Blues: Eeli Tolvanen, RW, Sioux City (USHL)
21. New York Rangers: Shane Bowers, C, Waterloo (USHL)
22. Edmonton Oilers: Kole Lind, RW, Kelowna (WHL
23. Arizona Coyotes (from MIN): Erik Brannstrom, D, HV71 Jr. (SWE-J20)
24. Columbus Blue Jackets: Robert Thomas, C, London (OHL)
25. Montreal Canadiens: Kailer Yamamoto, RW, Spokane (WHL)
26. Chicago Blackhawks: Urho Vaakanainen, D, Jyvaskala (SM Liiga)
27. St. Louis Blues (from WSH): Conor Timmins, D, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
I would personally be dancing if we did another TT first round draft.

Thomas and Timmins. That would be about as good as you can get.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 10:01 AM
BangarangxRufio
#Booze4Blues

vCash: 9662
Now that the season is over for the I cannot wait for this draft & expansion draft. Its going to be fun to see the chaos that LV adds to the mix.

P.S. I still want to trade up for Tippett with both 1st.

BangarangxRufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 10:03 AM
nicholas89alex

Not super impressed with Rasmussen. Watched his highlight video and it seems like every goal is either a deflection or finishing into a wide open net off a good pass/bad turnover and every assist was off the rush.

nicholas89alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 10:21 AM
MortiestOfMortys

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas89alex View Post
Not super impressed with Rasmussen. Watched his highlight video and it seems like every goal is either a deflection or finishing into a wide open net off a good pass/bad turnover and every assist was off the rush.
Those... aren't bad things though.

He's a net front presence, absolutely, so deflections and garbage goals are going to be a staple for him. We spent all season wondering where the hell the bodies were in front of the net; he would be there without question, and be effective while he was there. He's big and nasty, and he's very hard to clear out of a crease, something that will only continue to improve as he adds weight. Yes, you need guys who can get the puck through to the net, but as we saw with Parayko this year, that's not always enough. You need guys who can do something with the rebounds once they're there. I don't think anyone is saying that Rasmussen is a sniper or anything, but he's highly effective at what he does, and his shot is good in of itself, it's just not going to be on par with someone like Tolvanen.

Old
05-18-2017, 05:27 PM
LetsGoBooze
Suplex N Score

vCash: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangarangxRufio View Post
Now that the season is over for the I cannot wait for this draft & expansion draft. Its going to be fun to see the chaos that LV adds to the mix.

P.S. I still want to trade up for Tippett with both 1st.
I have the same feelings but i want the target to be Mittelstadt. He's been falling to around the 10 spot in multipul mock drafts.

LetsGoBooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 05:43 PM
carter333167

Moving up to 10 probably is both firsts plus a decent roster player or one first plus a good roster player. Maybe Walman or Dunn instead of the roster player.

carter333167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 05:51 PM
Shwabeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by carter333167 View Post
Moving up to 10 probably is both firsts plus a decent roster player or one first plus a good roster player. Maybe Walman or Dunn instead of the roster player.
If that's the case, we should definitely not move up that far and if we're not moving up that far, there's no point to move up. I've been in the camp of stand pat with the picks and let BA do what he does. If an opportunity presents itself to move up a few spots and we really like a guy and it requires something other than a first rounder, I think you pull the trigger. Especially if BA is the one making that call. Whatever pessimism I have in DA to make a smart shrewd move, I have the inverse optimism in BA to make a good decision.

Shwabeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 06:28 PM
simon in canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortiestOfMortys View Post
Those... aren't bad things though.

He's a net front presence, absolutely, so deflections and garbage goals are going to be a staple for him. We spent all season wondering where the hell the bodies were in front of the net; he would be there without question, and be effective while he was there. He's big and nasty, and he's very hard to clear out of a crease, something that will only continue to improve as he adds weight. Yes, you need guys who can get the puck through to the net, but as we saw with Parayko this year, that's not always enough. You need guys who can do something with the rebounds once they're there. I don't think anyone is saying that Rasmussen is a sniper or anything, but he's highly effective at what he does, and his shot is good in of itself, it's just not going to be on par with someone like Tolvanen.
I agree 100%! I would be totally okay with Rasmussen with one of our picks, for reasons as mentioned above. We take a net presence guy with one pick and a speed/skill guy with the other. Everybody happy!

simon in canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 03:29 AM
Klank Loves You

Trading to move up this years seems silly unless you're getting a killer deal.

Klank Loves You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 03:49 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klank Loves You View Post
Trading to move up this years seems silly unless you're getting a killer deal.
I basically agree, especially about bundling both first rounders for one higher pick.

But I could see the other side. It's one of those weird situations where the field is perceived as so even that picks could (will) be all over the place. So better players could drop and it might be worth it to move up to snag someone you believe is special relative to where they've slipped.

If all someone's doing is guessing that's going to happen, that's cool; but it's 100% based on draft day. I can't get behind anyone advocating an aggressive trade-up before then.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 06:21 PM
ezcreepin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I basically agree, especially about bundling both first rounders for one higher pick.

But I could see the other side. It's one of those weird situations where the field is perceived as so even that picks could (will) be all over the place. So better players could drop and it might be worth it to move up to snag someone you believe is special relative to where they've slipped.

If all someone's doing is guessing that's going to happen, that's cool; but it's 100% based on draft day. I can't get behind anyone advocating an aggressive trade-up before then.
So there's no one in this draft that would compare a trade up like we did with Tarasenko and Rundblad? I guess what I'm asking is who has a kind of skillset that would be well worth trading up for or trading a prospect for to get? For us, it would seem like only Hischier, Patrick, or Vilardi would be worth trading a touted prospect/+pick for.

ezcreepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 06:37 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezcreepin View Post
So there's no one in this draft that would compare a trade up like we did with Tarasenko and Rundblad? I guess what I'm asking is who has a kind of skillset that would be well worth trading up for or trading a prospect for to get? For us, it would seem like only Hischier, Patrick, or Vilardi would be worth trading a touted prospect/+pick for.
Did you read my post? I specifically said a good enough player might drop to a range where it's worth trading up, but it's impossible to know until it happens. That means that trade has to happen on the draft floor, during the draft. Everyone who is currently advocating bundling picks for the highest possible slot has no way of currently knowing that'll be the right call. What if the Blues wasted assets trading up to the mid-teens to guarantee they got Schmaltz when Fabbri fell right in their laps?

Old
05-19-2017, 07:07 PM
Klank Loves You

Quote:
Bill Armstrong has a pretty good track record with late first rounders. And i have not heard of any Tarasenkos this draft. The so-called Russian Factor was the only reason Vlady fell to where we got him. That seems to be a non-issue anymore with all the troubles in the KHL. With this draft class lacking high-end talent, but supposedly deep through the first 3 rounds, i would imagine trading down is more tempting than trading up.

Klank Loves You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 09:42 PM
ezcreepin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klank Loves You View Post
Bill Armstrong has a pretty good track record with late first rounders. And i have not heard of any Tarasenkos this draft. The so-called Russian Factor was the only reason Vlady fell to where we got him. That seems to be a non-issue anymore with all the troubles in the KHL. With this draft class lacking high-end talent, but supposedly deep through the first 3 rounds, i would imagine trading down is more tempting than trading up.
I'm by no means a great evaluator of talent, but that's what I assumed from looking at prospect bios. I always thought it was interesting though looking back at previous drafts and seeing all of the players you could have taken, but they fell in the draft OR just the amount of great players taken in a certain round. Time will tell, but this year, for some reason, I'm really excited about the draft.

Old
05-19-2017, 09:46 PM
ezcreepin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Did you read my post? I specifically said a good enough player might drop to a range where it's worth trading up, but it's impossible to know until it happens. That means that trade has to happen on the draft floor, during the draft. Everyone who is currently advocating bundling picks for the highest possible slot has no way of currently knowing that'll be the right call. What if the Blues wasted assets trading up to the mid-teens to guarantee they got Schmaltz when Fabbri fell right in their laps?
Woah, passive-aggressive there ehh? Hahah by the looks of your response, the answer is probably no. From all the reading I've done, there doesn't seem to be a prospect that is leaps and bounds better than another prospect, so trading two 1st's probably doesn't make sense this year (because we're probably not trading to picks 1-10), but thanks for the response

Old
05-19-2017, 11:18 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Woah, passive-aggressive there ehh? Hahah by the looks of your response, the answer is probably no. From all the reading I've done, there doesn't seem to be a prospect that is leaps and bounds better than another prospect, so trading two 1st's probably doesn't make sense this year (because we're probably not trading to picks 1-10), but thanks for the response
That's not what passive-aggressive is even remotely, but I admit I jumped the gun on your post. Sorry about that. I immediately interpreted your question as rhetoric, but if that was just an honest question: yea, I don't think the Blues are going to be able to trade up to the very top of the draft. Beyond that, I don't know. There are a few prospects I like more than others, but I trust the scouting staff. No matter what, it's all dependent on what players go where. If the Blues can trade up to, say, #8, but the guys they want go at 5, 6, and 7, that's useless. In a wide-open draft, multiple later picks are possibly better, especially given the Blues' recent drafting history. If somebody just right drops a little to a zone you can afford to trade into, then you get on the phones, of course. Other than that, make your selections or deal those picks for NHL talent.

Old
05-22-2017, 10:29 AM
MortiestOfMortys

The Draft Analyst is doing a full mock draft on their website, and are currently up to the 4th round. So far, they have the Blues picking:

20th: Michael Rasmussen
27th: Robert Thomas
51st: Ostap Safin
113th: Arnaud Durandeau

Not *exactly* how I'd like to see things go, especially considering who's still on the board around our picks, but all in all I wouldn't mind walking away with a haul like that one.

Old
05-22-2017, 10:42 AM
Ivan Barbashev
Elite Russian Squad

I want NOTHING to do with Rasmussen. Please God don't let that happen.

Ivan Barbashev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:42 AM
jbron

Lets hope the Blues have those options in the first and second rounds of the Draft Analyst. Would have to consider these players on their board.

1st Round #20 Vesalainen,
#27 Suzuki, Timmons still on their board.

2nd Round #51 Stelio Mattheaos and Alexia Lipanov still available

jbron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:43 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

I feel like if Rasmussen is available, we'll take him. Army will be drooling over the thought of Thompson, Rasmussen, and Sanford down the middle.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 11:06 AM
BangarangxRufio
#Booze4Blues

vCash: 9662
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I feel like if Rasmussen is available, we'll take him. Army will be drooling over the thought of Thompson, Rasmussen, and Sanford down the middle.
Where does BBshv play into this? I feel more comfortable calling him a C over Sanford (whom I see as more RW until he bulks up).

BangarangxRufio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 11:24 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangarangxRufio View Post
Where does BBshv play into this? I feel more comfortable calling him a C over Sanford (whom I see as more RW until he bulks up).
Just making a joke about how he loves tall centers.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote