HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Phillip Danault II: 2nd C? edition

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-27-2017, 05:29 PM
  #426
LyricalLyricist
Retired
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,156
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
You play on the 1st line, 1st line production is expected from you.
Not always, some players are complimentary players on lines. The problem is our #1C spot is given to a complimentary player. That's okay short term when injuries happen but it leads to mediocrity.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 05:38 PM
  #427
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
You will not find 1 other team in the league who's #1 center doesn't play significant minutes on the powerplay. Zero. Almost all of them are well over 2 minutes per game, some of the top ones are over 3 minutes per game. Danault averaged under a minute per game. But yes, lets keep calling him a #1 center, even though he compares to literally zero other #1's in the entire league. Let's judge him as a #1, even though he wasn't used as one.
After AG got hurt in December he was the #1 C. To argue he wasn't the #1 C the entire season, is correct, he wasn't. We can look at his use after AG got hurt compared to the other full time regular center Plekanec, and here's how it breaks down from December 5 to the end of the regular season:

EV TOI Per Game
Danault: 14:59
Plekanec: 13:57

PP TOI Per Game
Danault: 00:52
Plekanec: 00:50

SH TOI Per Game
Danault: 00:54
Plekanec: 1:51

TOI Per Game All Situations
Danault: 16:46
Plekanec: 16:39

Total Faceoffs
Danault 885
Plekanec 880 (Plek did play 4 less games over this stretch)

Seems the data and the simple fact he played with the two best wingers for 468mins at EV (by far the most used line this season) point to him being the #1 C on this team for 5 straight months. You want to argue maybe he was 1A to Plekanec 1B, fine, but it certainly is not a stretch to judge him as a #1 C on THIS team because no other C was used more.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 05:53 PM
  #428
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 25,909
vCash: 500
This year I noticed when Danault was a black hole offensively, they'd put him on the third line and he would automatically started scoring goals. He was obviously more at ease playing a more grinding stlye. That's what has been the issue with him and Max, too much of a clash of styles. Max cannot play this way. And also you felt like Danault wanted to make Max produce at all cost and would forget his own game.

Next year, no matter what, Danault has to play third line.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 05:53 PM
  #429
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Galchenyuk provided high end 1st line production- until his unfortunate injury. He couldn't regain that level of play, unfortunately, on his return.

I can't think of a reason for him not to achieve that level of excellence should he be given the opportunity next season.

Danault had a good run on the first, but his offensive limitations became quite clear, as did Galchenyuk's defense.
I think Galchenyuk will do well... somewhere else unfortunately. And when we trade him we MUST get a number one center back. That has to happen because Phillip Dannault is not a number 2 center right now let alone a number one.

__________________
- 40,000 & counting...
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 05:57 PM
  #430
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey
 
ECWHSWI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 21,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorius View Post
Care to name him ! Galchy ? Come on !
are you really suggesting Galchenyuk is NOT a better 1st liner than Danault ? ? ?

seriously ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 06:11 PM
  #431
groovejuice
Registered User
 
groovejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I think Galchenyuk will do well... somewhere else unfortunately. And when we trade him we MUST get a number one center back. That has to happen because Phillip Dannault is not a number 2 center right now let alone a number one.
I agree that's it's quite possible that Chucky will be traded. I don't have the confidence in Bergevin to assure myself that that move won't turn out to be a travesty. I imagine something like Galchenyuk for Thornton. That's MB's style. My only hope is I overestimate MB's incompetence.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 07:07 PM
  #432
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,358
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I agree that's it's quite possible that Chucky will be traded. I don't have the confidence in Bergevin to assure myself that that move won't turn out to be a travesty. I imagine something like Galchenyuk for Thornton. That's MB's style. My only hope is I overestimate MB's incompetence.
Well trading Galchenyuk for a 38 year old UFA would be fairly incompetent.

I could see Duchene, Couture, even Giroux as targets for mb, or the fantasy of tavares.

Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 07:26 PM
  #433
Lafleurs Guy
Global Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 43,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I agree that's it's quite possible that Chucky will be traded. I don't have the confidence in Bergevin to assure myself that that move won't turn out to be a travesty. I imagine something like Galchenyuk for Thornton. That's MB's style. My only hope is I overestimate MB's incompetence.
I can't see how we don't trade him.

He was on the 3rd line and played 15 mins in an elimination game where we were mostly behind. If that's how we're going to use him we're better off trading him. And when he is traded that leaves Dannault as our best center. Think about it...


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 04-27-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 07:30 PM
  #434
groovejuice
Registered User
 
groovejuice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,277
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I can't see how we don't trade him.

He was on the 3rd line and played 15 mins in an elimination game where we were mostly behind. If that's how we're going to use him we're better off trading him.
He's better off, certainly.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 07:40 PM
  #435
Doc McKenna
Registered User
 
Doc McKenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry pirate View Post
You will not find 1 other team in the league who's #1 center doesn't play significant minutes on the powerplay. Zero. Almost all of them are well over 2 minutes per game, some of the top ones are over 3 minutes per game. Danault averaged under a minute per game. But yes, lets keep calling him a #1 center, even though he compares to literally zero other #1's in the entire league. Let's judge him as a #1, even though he wasn't used as one.
Or the fact he played 18:57 in game 5 with our 2 best players, lets ignore that too. He had 5 second PP and 1:25 PK. so 17:27 ES with our top players. Nope not getting top minutes or linemates. My god peopel this is DD all over and you guys are making excuses again.

Just can't understand why Chuckie was never a good center- OH RIGHT HE WAS, but our stupid coach(s) and GM value only Defence to not even win anything.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 09:01 PM
  #436
The Great Pateryn
Registered User
 
The Great Pateryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 9,374
vCash: 157
If he is in our top 6, you can expect us to get killed in the playoffs again. The guy is a good 3rd liner, nothing more or less.

The Great Pateryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 09:37 PM
  #437
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 7,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I agree that's it's quite possible that Chucky will be traded. I don't have the confidence in Bergevin to assure myself that that move won't turn out to be a travesty. I imagine something like Galchenyuk for Thornton. That's MB's style. My only hope is I overestimate MB's incompetence.
His style is more Galchenyuk for Giroux. A guy who used to be elite.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 09:37 PM
  #438
angry pirate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc McKenna View Post
Or the fact he played 18:57 in game 5 with our 2 best players, lets ignore that too. He had 5 second PP and 1:25 PK. so 17:27 ES with our top players. Nope not getting top minutes or linemates. My god peopel this is DD all over and you guys are making excuses again.
I never said he wasn't getting top minutes. I said he should be judged for how he was deployed, and he wasn't deployed as a 1C, so I don't understand why people have those kind of expectations for him. You can ignore PP time all you want, but every single team in the NHL ,except for us apparently, gives their 1C more than double the powerplay time that Danault has. Yet we are supposed to disparage Danault for something here? Even Desharnais got 2:30+ of powerplay time per game in previous seasons. Even this year in 31 games for us Desharnais had only 7 minutes less total PP time than Danault did all year. Let that sink in. In 31 Games Desharnais had the same amount of PP time that Danault would have had in about 75.

Do we need another center? Absolutely. Probably 2. And hate on MB all you want for that. But judge Danault for the season he had. That of a 2nd line center that played with the top line at even strength. He was acceptable in that role. Lots of teams mix and match their lines at even strength. It's not a linear depth chart.

We should just accept Danault for the 2C that he was this year and not try to run him out of town because he's not better offensively. Hopefully we find a true 1C this off season, or at least add a couple more 2C types to give the guy some depth behind him.

angry pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 09:59 PM
  #439
Toene
"Che" Weber
 
Toene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
His style is more Galchenyuk for Giroux. A guy who used to be elite.
Honestly, I'd do it.

Toene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2017, 10:04 PM
  #440
MontrealPredators
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toene View Post
Honestly, I'd do it.
Depends on how much Giroux has slowed down... Maybe he's on the declining end, maybe it's just the injuries, but apparently 5-on-5 he isn't what he used to be. He's approaching 30 mind you.

I'd go for a guy like Ryan Strome, lots of potential but hasn't found his niche in NY.

MontrealPredators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 05:57 AM
  #441
Toene
"Che" Weber
 
Toene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealPredators View Post
Depends on how much Giroux has slowed down... Maybe he's on the declining end, maybe it's just the injuries, but apparently 5-on-5 he isn't what he used to be. He's approaching 30 mind you.

I'd go for a guy like Ryan Strome, lots of potential but hasn't found his niche in NY.
Youd take Ryan Strome before Giroux...? Cant be sure if serious...

Toene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 06:54 AM
  #442
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Country: United States
Posts: 16,153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toene View Post
Youd take Ryan Strome before Giroux...? Cant be sure if serious...
Giroux is rapidly declining, we should avoid Gomez 2.0.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 08:53 AM
  #443
MontrealPredators
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toene View Post
Youd take Ryan Strome before Giroux...? Cant be sure if serious...
One is 24 years old, still not in his prime yet and can be acquired for relatively cheap... The other is 29, declining fast and will likely cost the moon.

But I can clearly see Bergevin getting Giroux lol

MontrealPredators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 09:07 AM
  #444
Toene
"Che" Weber
 
Toene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontrealPredators View Post
One is 24 years old, still not in his prime yet and can be acquired for relatively cheap... The other is 29, declining fast and will likely cost the moon.

But I can clearly see Bergevin getting Giroux lol
I meant 1 for 1. Islanders add a lot.

Toene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2017, 10:29 AM
  #445
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 7,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Giroux is rapidly declining, we should avoid Gomez 2.0.
Think like Bergevin and it's hard to avoid.

"I can get rid of our young guys we can't coach (Chuck and Beau), I can bring back a top centre, and he's a French Canadian! The media can't turn on me this time!"

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 07:50 PM
  #446
monkza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Alma
Country: Canada
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
Yep, Danault sucks.



Price has literally already been to a conference final.


Blind fan here

''Danault sucks''

Hes just not a 1st liner. Danault is a pretty good 3rd center. Just because he doesnt score 40 goals a season is terrible.

monkza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 09:58 PM
  #447
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 7,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkza View Post
Blind fan here

''Danault sucks''

Hes just not a 1st liner. Danault is a pretty good 3rd center. Just because he doesnt score 40 goals a season is terrible.
Very good third liner
Questionable second liner
Horrible first liner

How is he used? First liner.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 10:32 PM
  #448
KawaYui
Registered User
 
KawaYui's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Very good third liner
Questionable second liner
Horrible first liner

How is he used? First liner.
So would Galchenyuk be superstar good considering he was playing on the 3rd/4th line?

KawaYui is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2017, 03:23 PM
  #449
No Team Needed
Registered User
 
No Team Needed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: essex
Posts: 7,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaYui View Post
So would Galchenyuk be superstar good considering he was playing on the 3rd/4th line?
Galchenyuk

Questionable first liner
Very good second liner
Good on a deep team third liner
Atrocious bottom six centre on this team

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 01:13 AM
  #450
Belial
Registered User
 
Belial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Montreal
Posts: 8,608
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Galchenyuk

Questionable first liner
Very good second liner
Good on a deep team third liner
Atrocious bottom six centre on this team
Galchenyuk is an overrated Habs player.

Belial is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.