HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Touch Icing

View Poll Results: Should the NHL get rid of Touch Icing?
Yes, too many devistating injuries for my liking 16 53.33%
No, the players should decide the outcome of the game 14 46.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-24-2008, 03:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Touch Icing

I want to take the pulse of this board on this issue

Last edited by Joe T Choker: 03-24-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 05:12 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
I voted "no" at this time, however I do realize the incredibly vulnerable position that defensemen are put in trying to touch up as well. I will say that this is an issue that must continue to remain at the forefront of our minds as we continue to evolve our game and there continues to be a downward trend in the level of respect between players.

I do strongly believe too that any player that intentionally interferes with a player heading back at full speed for the puck should be strongly penalized and in the result of an injury, should be severely suspended.

Bottom line is that players must respect each other and unfortunately that isn't always the case.

FYI, I have not seen the video of the Foster incident and am making no statement on that or any other specific incident.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I voted "no" at this time, however I do realize the incredibly vulnerable position that defensemen are put in trying to touch up as well. I will say that this is an issue that must continue to remain at the forefront of our minds as we continue to evolve our game and there continues to be a downward trend in the level of respect between players.

I do strongly believe too that any player that intentionally interferes with a player heading back at full speed for the puck should be strongly penalized and in the result of an injury, should be severely suspended.

Bottom line is that players must respect each other and unfortunately that isn't always the case.

FYI, I have not seen the video of the Foster incident and am making no statement on that or any other specific incident.
click that video that I attached ... its in there

Old
03-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I'm with Slake. I think the no-touch icing ruins the flow of the game. That said, any instance like the Foster play should be an immediate 20 game suspension (minimum.) I do not think Mitchell meant to do it, and the shove wasn't that hard. However, it was dumb, dangerous, and it caused a player to have a very significant injury. The NHL at this time is too wishy-washy and inconsistent with their suspensions.....

03-24-2008, 07:57 PM
irisheyes555

as with the above i agree, NO.

this is a TON of prevention for an ounce of cure. if somebody takes a cheap shot simply penalize/suspend them. that would make it the yen to the "lolly-gag" calls yang. of course there might be an instance where someone gets hurts with no bad play involved, which makes it like other such instances where guys get hurt through the natural course of the game. it is after all a contact sport.

irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
braindead

I went the other way- yes. I don't buy the argument that it harms the flow of the game- icing by definition stops the flow of the game and virtually all of these are won by the d-man so it has very limited impact there. I'd describe it as an ounce of prevention for maybe half of a pound of cure- a marginally good tradeoff.

I'll also point out that to frame the "No" answer with "the players should decide the outcome of the game" is a loaded statement. The logical conclusion is that there should be no rules or limits on equipment, hits, actions of any kind as it would inhibit the ability of players to "decide the outcome of the game". Again, in this case, I think the impact of the rule change to the game is marginal.

Besides, I prefer "No, I like seeing 50 seconds of every game frittered away in exchange for the possibility of seeing a devastating injury (like a Jordin Tootoo fight)"

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
After watching the video of the Foster-Mitchell incident, that was exactly the type of situation that I was speaking about when I was referring to a decline in the level of respect between players. Some might argue that the contact was incidental or as a result of simply the race for the puck, however the fact that Mitchell didn't simply "run into" Foster, but he extended his arms to check Foster (between the numbers) with force to me is a signal that Mitchell fails to respect his opponent at all times and is directly a signal that a suspension is in order.

Mitchell clearly understood immediately what the result of his actions were and I believe he truly felt sorry for the result as that was probably not his intention, but the fact remains that he extended his arms to check with force his opponent from behind into the end boards at speed. That is a dirty play and should be deserving of a significant suspension.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 09:29 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
I voted yes though I disagreed with the "too many injuries..." reasoning. I can see how it does cause injuries and I HAVE seen it (the Foster video) but I am under the impression it doesn't happen as often as some say it does.

But I do think it should not take a death (taking it to the extreme) to instill this rule. Foster's broken leg could just have easily been a broken neck.

So either enforce stronger punishment on contact during the race (like SLake referenced) or install the no touch icing.

quartermaster29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 10:34 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I went the other way- yes. I don't buy the argument that it harms the flow of the game- icing by definition stops the flow of the game and virtually all of these are won by the d-man so it has very limited impact there. I'd describe it as an ounce of prevention for maybe half of a pound of cure- a marginally good tradeoff.
I also voted yes for this reason

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 01:37 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

I voted yes, and like the USHL rule which is sort of a compromise (breaking invisible line between lower faceoff dots). It keeps the race (and the defense honest) but moves the finish line up to prevent wall contact.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
I voted yes, and like the USHL rule which is sort of a compromise (breaking invisible line between lower faceoff dots). It keeps the race (and the defense honest) but moves the finish line up to prevent wall contact.
that's how it should be done ... period ... because if the offensive player recovers the puck first he can still make a play on the net with the puck ... without the fear of getting drilled from behind into the end boards

Old
03-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I've watched a lot of competition with no-touch icing and it's not the end of the world. Sure, it is exciting when a guy beats out a call and maybe generates a scoring chance or even a goal, but it's a helluva lot less exciting when some agitating forward blindsides your DMan or gets him with his stick on some cheap crap when he is just touching up.

I don't have a strong opinion either way but I would not miss it if automatic icing became the rule.

04-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

I'll also point out that to frame the "No" answer with "the players should decide the outcome of the game" is a loaded statement. The logical conclusion is that there should be no rules or limits on equipment, hits, actions of any kind as it would inhibit the ability of players to "decide the outcome of the game". Again, in this case, I think the impact of the rule change to the game is marginal.

Besides, I prefer "No, I like seeing 50 seconds of every game frittered away in exchange for the possibility of seeing a devastating injury (like a Jordin Tootoo fight)"
Yes get rid of touch icing. I agree with Don Cherry and don't want to see someone die for such a small and insignificant change. Get rid of touch icing.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2008, 10:48 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

You could move the icing line up. Like to the dot in the other zone so board contact is basically eliminated.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote