HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kuznetsov and Orlov going to Worlds (2017) No Ovechkin (injured)

Old
05-21-2017, 11:24 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

vCash: 500
I'd prefer the grim and exhausted guy. At least he appeared to care before jet setting off to wash away his professional worries. I get that Euro fans love this thing. I just hope Euro fans can appreciate the idea that this is the NHL loser tournament and how it does/should leave a bad taste in the mouth of a North American fan of an NHL contender sent home too early. In my younger years I liked this thing. 32 years of losing and always participating in this thing has made it not only meaningless, but unpalatable.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 05-21-2017 at 11:30 AM.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
I don't really care but if the World Championships helps some players turn the page then so be it. You can't stay bitter for twelve months and then think you're just going to beat it based off of that feeling and nothing else. Whatever motivates them to get better and maintain their passion for game is fine by me.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 11:37 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I don't really care but if the World Championships helps some players turn the page then so be it. You can't stay bitter for twelve months and then think you're just going to beat it based off of that feeling and nothing else. Whatever motivates them to get better and maintain their passion for game is fine by me.
Same. It's pretty clear to me that the joy of playing hockey is removed for these guys during the playoffs. If playing in this tournament helps clear their mind and sends them into the offseason with a happier and clearer mental disposition then I'm fine with that.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 12:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

12 months? Nah, 12 days I'd take. Damn body isn't even cold. But hey, go enjoy your hockey vacation and forget about the failures for the guys who pay for your and your family's quality of life.

If the joy is gone for these guys in the NHL playoffs, then we have the wrong guys.

Old
05-21-2017, 01:08 PM
Acallabeth
Curses & prophecies

We have wrong guys because they can't spell "clutch", not because they don't pull their hair out for a month after a playoff loss.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 01:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

I'd take "come to camp in the best shape of your life" just one damn time over hair pulling. Pretty sure we've never seen our core that dedicated. Prior to his debilitating injury, only Brooks Laich, for a fleeting moment showed this franchise that kind of dedication....at least that I can recall.

Old
05-21-2017, 01:32 PM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
12 months? Nah, 12 days I'd take. Damn body isn't even cold. But hey, go enjoy your hockey vacation and forget about the failures for the guys who pay for your and your family's quality of life.

If the joy is gone for these guys in the NHL playoffs, then we have the wrong guys.
That's kinda the point of the discussions we've all been having, right? Do we have the right guys?

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 01:36 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Back to trading 74 or 19 then. Ovy is the golden goose I have to assume until I see him beg out of town, or I see a trade completed headline.

Old
05-21-2017, 03:36 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomfield View Post
because you said earlier in this thread that you dont give a f about backstrom and worlds.
I never said I didn't care about NB. Not caring about the tournament or Team Sweden is not the same as wanting NB to play poorly or be unhappy.

As you know we have a forum for discussion of this tournament. This Capitals forum is going to be much, much more about the Capitals than the international play.

05-21-2017, 04:26 PM
Devil Dancer

This thread makes me think of the Joker in TDK. Our playoff theme should have been "Why so serious?"/"Do you want to know how I got these (emotional) scars?"

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 04:47 PM
hockeykicker

backstrom with winner in shootout

hockeykicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 04:53 PM
ovikovy817

Nicky with his usual move. Nylander almost killed Hank on the celebration

Russia/CCCP still alone in the first place with 27 championship and Canada 26. Thanks to our number 1 center

Btw, he has 6 points in 5 games. Continued his ppg play

ovikovy817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 05:01 PM
hockeykicker

hockeykicker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 05:11 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Good for Nick. I'm not worried about him mentally. He's pretty clearly the elder statesman in the locker room and has proven he can deliver in the playoffs.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washin...al-leader-caps

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 05:27 PM
Coldplay619

Coldplay619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 05:42 PM
Revelation

At least the world cup still has the aura of what hockey was always truly about, winning at a skilled graceful game with your countrymen. NHL playoffs has become an obnoxious dirtfest with all skill removed where the outcome depending is wholly on coinflip refereeing. Presidents Trophy at this point is a better representation of the best team than in the NHL than the cup.

Revelation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2017, 09:53 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
At least the world cup still has the aura of what hockey was always truly about, winning at a skilled graceful game with your countrymen. NHL playoffs has become an obnoxious dirtfest with all skill removed where the outcome depending is wholly on coinflip refereeing. Presidents Trophy at this point is a better representation of the best team than in the NHL than the cup.
It's less noticeable in international tournaments, but hockey in general has evolved poorly. The "throw pucks on net" principle, in its various forms, has generally beaten creative play. What used to be more about stars is now mostly a competition between details of systems. "Make one less mistake than the other team" is the new motto.

I think to change things they'd have to try something radical like restricting certain areas of the ice (to certain players, at least) -- to reduce "density of bodies", especially in the neutral zone and in front of the net...

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 12:06 AM
Acallabeth
Curses & prophecies

I don't know, maybe the game will come around. 10 years ago people were saying that soccer was going to die because the game has become too defensive, and now it's aeons better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I'd take "come to camp in the best shape of your life" just one damn time over hair pulling. Pretty sure we've never seen our core that dedicated.
Never have, but what does it have to do with playing or not playing in the Worlds? Is the NHL season a week away or something? Play the NHL season, then play for your country, then go home, rest and start preparing to enter the season in his best shape possible. Not hard for a professional to do that.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 08:51 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

Coaching killed hockey creativity. Wayne Gretzky is quick to mention it.

Avoid the big mistake.
Kids no longer just play. They get benched for ignoring the coaches demands to implement the LW lock as the highest priority.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 10:25 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Coaching killed hockey creativity. Wayne Gretzky is quick to mention it.

Avoid the big mistake.
Kids no longer just play. They get benched for ignoring the coaches demands to implement the LW lock as the highest priority.
It's shootouts and loser points. Play to not lose the entire game and take your chances with the shootout for a full point. Make sure you get to OT.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2017, 11:25 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
I don't know, maybe the game will come around. 10 years ago people were saying that soccer was going to die because the game has become too defensive, and now it's aeons better.

Never have, but what does it have to do with playing or not playing in the Worlds? Is the NHL season a week away or something? Play the NHL season, then play for your country, then go home, rest and start preparing to enter the season in his best shape possible. Not hard for a professional to do that.
Has nothing to do with it....someone suggested hair pulling, I suggested something different.