HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

COE Thread - What to do with Northlands

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-12-2017, 02:58 PM
  #76
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 32,339
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I assume that since the playoff run is over that this will now be put on the back burner?
Who knows Caterina brought it up and I though he was anti-Oilers with his whole Northlands allegiance.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2017, 03:32 PM
  #77
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Who knows Caterina brought it up and I though he was anti-Oilers with his whole Northlands allegiance.
Honestly, I never understood why they felt the need to change the slogan in the first place considering it was originally about the tornado effort. It's just as confusing that they want to bring it back again. I guess the council has too much time on its hands and nothing better to do.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 07:02 PM
  #78
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 50
I found this article to be depressing and sad.

http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1133395

It's a bleak reminder that any sort of entertainment gimmick will cost a ton of money simply won't work.

With all the abandoned basketball and hockey arenas across North America, none have really amounted to much of anything since their teams vacated.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2017, 07:14 PM
  #79
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 50
My hail mary idea is more along the lines of infrastructural development of a tech sector in Northern Alberta.

Retrofit Northlands into being a tech/dev startup hub. Offer cheap office space free wifi, free parking. Don't even bother changing the name.

Try to attract all developers across all of Canada with intense subsidies and an open opportunity to network with others in similar fields and situations.

Turn the entire floor and seating area into an open office dev floor.

This on steroids:
https://gameplayspace.com

Hire full time specialists who deal with grants and patents. (CMF?).

Turn all of the kiosks into computer hardware shops and food vendors and tons of coffee.

Turn all the skyboxes into shared meeting rooms.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 04:40 PM
  #80
Oil Gauge
5+14+6+1=97
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
My hail mary idea is more along the lines of infrastructural development of a tech sector in Northern Alberta.

Retrofit Northlands into being a tech/dev startup hub. Offer cheap office space free wifi, free parking. Don't even bother changing the name.

Try to attract all developers across all of Canada with intense subsidies and an open opportunity to network with others in similar fields and situations.

Turn the entire floor and seating area into an open office dev floor.

This on steroids:
https://gameplayspace.com

Hire full time specialists who deal with grants and patents. (CMF?).

Turn all of the kiosks into computer hardware shops and food vendors and tons of coffee.

Turn all the skyboxes into shared meeting rooms.
Don't you think you could do the same thing in a warehouse for cheaper. Just the Utility costs alone to keep that building going as an office building would be crazy.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2017, 05:47 PM
  #81
Perfect_Drug
Registered User
 
Perfect_Drug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Don't you think you could do the same thing in a warehouse for cheaper. Just the Utility costs alone to keep that building going as an office building would be crazy.
Haha i guess.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 12:30 PM
  #82
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
rboomercat90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 5,586
vCash: 50
Is the idea to convert it into 6 or 7 ice rinks for minor hockey still alive or did that die somewhere?

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2017, 12:47 PM
  #83
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?
 
Paralyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,182
vCash: 500
It died when they found out they'd have to gut the boiler room, leaving MacTavish and Lowe homeless.

Paralyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 05:22 PM
  #84
oilers'72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Red Deer, Alta
Country: Canada
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
Heard a mention on TSN 1260 that it'd be cheaper to tear the building down than to try renovating it to whatever standard they're thinking of.

oilers'72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.