HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Changing from right shot to left shot?

Old
03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepanated View Post
There was a recent thread on this forum that listed some sales figures for both. Far more lefty sticks are sold in Canada, and for more right sticks are sold in the US, as I recall.
Here's what I think. For what it's worth....

We can go around and around all night about the mechanics and how one can use leverage to one's advantage. But it would probably bore you to tears.

Canadien's have been playing the game just a little longer then the American's have and when an American family takes their 5 years old in the store to get him a stick, they generally see some teenager at the counter who says..."which way do you bat?"

Where as Canadien's know that the "writing" hand goes at the top. This is why more Canadien's shoot left. The majority of the population writes with their right hand.

Yes, I know that I am speaking in absolute, and yes, it just an opinion, but why so may left shooters?

I'm just sorry to say...I think the Canadien's got it right!

Head Coach

PS: For me, I just one coach, trying to correct the problem...one parent at a time!

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 10:52 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I still say that in spite of all that, the difference is not as big as some make it out to be. Just take the fact that there are quite a few right handed players who shoot righty in the NHL, some of which were some of the best to ever play. They don't get there by accident.

Shooting righty over lefty isn't going to negate years of hard work, training, determination, natural ability and skill

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 11:17 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
I still say that in spite of all that, the difference is not as big as some make it out to be. Just take the fact that there are quite a few right handed players who shoot righty in the NHL, some of which were some of the best to ever play. They don't get there by accident.

Shooting righty over lefty isn't going to negate years of hard work, training, determination, natural ability and skill
This is true, no one is trying to take that away. It's just an initial post from a guy who asked what we thought about him changing his stick. I guess we can all say to him...good luck!

Head coach

Old
03-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Ok Habitant, let's compare. I will, within the next couple of days, try to find out, how many stick are sold to left shooters compared to right shooters. I'm pretty sure a stick manufacture will have these figures on this.

I would guess to say, that more Canadien's shoot left and more American's shoot right. I will check this out and get back with you.

Head coach
Why compare? Am I disputing the fact that, say, 80% of right handed shooters should shoot left? Not at all. I'm right handed. I shoot left. My first born is right handed. He shoots left. My youngest is also right handed, but guess what, he shoots right. Do you think he lacked the opportunity to try a left handed stick?

I realize this is only one kid but guess what? There are a far greater percentage of right handed shooters in Canada than the percentage of left handed kids.

Give a kid a straight stick. Take a broom and give it to a kid. This is a much better test of the way he should shoot.

No doubt you are correct that a lot of right handed kids are pushed toward shooting right by uninformed individuals but your "writing hand at the top of the stick" being correct for all individuals is just plain wrong.

Call it my opinion if you like but I have done this with 100's of kids, having no preconceived notion of which way they should shoot, and almost all of them had a definite preference-most being "writing hand at the top of the stick" as you propose, but nowhere near enough to make it a hard fast rule.

They should hold a stick the way it feels most natural to them.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Phoenix

interesting views guys and thanks! I probably will experiment a little for the fun of it, although I doubt I'll ever take that into an actual game.

Talking about brooms though, I reckon if I was born in canada I would have been a left shot. I did get asked the batting question when I got my first stick. In the past I've held the vacuum both ways (that might be a bit different) but usually with the r hand on top for the power. I use a rake both ways.
Use a spade with R hand bottom though.

Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 12:53 AM
deanosaur

i didnt know that.
but when i played mini sticks when iwas 3 i naturally shot left on my own

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 02:40 AM
Lyons71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Anyone ever done so?

So I'm tempted to try - played for about 2 years. Only reason I thought I might is because it seems heaps of people who are right-handed play with a left shot and it works well for them becos of the power hand etc.

Do you think its wise to now? I'm an adult learner, average player. It doesn't feel terribly strange puckhandling, but shooting it does, more so with adjusting body weight, and winding up.

Anyone an ambidextrous shot? Lol.
I would just continue doing it the way you have been. There's no point in switching.

Tell you what! Just practice puck-handling and shooting more. You'll get farther doing this with the handedness you're currently using than if you switched. Your hands would always be 2 years behind the rest of you.

Lyons71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 05:43 AM
speedway

People are hard wired to shoot right or left. Not all left handed people shoot right which would make sense for them if the "pro shop ignorance " theory were correct. Everyone has a dominant eye also, and it is not necessarily the one with the best vision. Apparently most people shoot right in golf (if you call it "shoot" in golf) and may bat differently in baseball than they shoot in hockey.

speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 08:17 AM
krax

slightly off topic:
working on your "wrong side" will make your "good side" better. This is valid for anything.
True or not?

krax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
speedway

That is true, at least, IMHO.

speedway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Apparently most people shoot right in golf (if you call it "shoot" in golf) and may bat differently in baseball than they shoot in hockey.
Yes, this is true about golf. However, stop and think about this for a second. It's not so much about wheather you shoot right in golf (per say) but how you transfer weight and use leverage during your swing.

Now, I'm not the best golf player, by no means, even though I live here in Scottsdale, golf capital of the world, I have a golf pro friend or two.

Every time they help me work on my swing (i'm right handed) they always have me drive through the ball with only using my left hand. They tell me that this is the power hand and that this hand is the most critical part to make sure that the ball flies straight. Any deviation of the wrist as you drive through will slice the ball one way or the other. I have hit a many of cars in the parking lot...let me tell you.

So, stick selection in a hockey stick is just as important. Yes, I guess it's not really that big a deal if you have a kid that is ambidextrous. (It's only going to work for him if he has a straight stick.)

But i guess my whole point is, which I guess is kind off topic, is that hand placement and the mechanics behind the shot is important.

I guess it doesn't really matter which hand goes where, as long as you teach the player to use the proper leverage so that he/she gets maximum speed of the puck when it gets released.

I see it all the time. Player's hands are too close, or too far. Too little grip and not enough contact of the ice. Not having the puck close to the body and having it too far.

There are so many variables to make sure that you release a shot with maximum power.

1. Body stance
2. Hand placement
3. Ice contact
4. Follow through
5. Blade positioning
6. Grip

All of these will vary depending on which shot you want to do and what pass you want to perform.

I guest, once you have decided to pull the stick off the shelf and you place it on the floor to test the flex, then you better get ready to put that stick to use.

Head Coach

Old
03-26-2008, 02:10 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
Canadien's have been playing the game just a little longer then the American's have and when an American family takes their 5 years old in the store to get him a stick, they generally see some teenager at the counter who says..."which way do you bat?"

Where as Canadien's know that the "writing" hand goes at the top. This is why more Canadien's shoot left. The majority of the population writes with their right hand.

Yes, I know that I am speaking in absolute, and yes, it just an opinion, but why so may left shooters?

I'm just sorry to say...I think the Canadien's got it right!

Head Coach

PS: For me, I just one coach, trying to correct the problem...one parent at a time!
In Canada, the basics such as puck-handling are emphasized early on and it's easier to do so with your dominant hand on top. With most people being right-handed that in effect turns around players to shoot left-handed.

Some will make the case of right or left eye dominance and the best side from which to shoot but that's another topic for another time.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 04:27 PM
KBstyle

Too late for me to change. I'm a right handed and shot right. I can't even see how i can shoot left, it seem so wrong.

KBstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBstyle View Post
Too late for me to change. I'm a right handed and shot right. I can't even see how i can shoot left, it seem so wrong.
Just out of interest, which way do you hold a broom?

Old
03-27-2008, 03:27 PM
puck_08

hmm.. I've never been able to figure this out.. I think it must be multiple factors besides your "writing" hand.

I am right handed
I shoot left in Hockey
I Golf right
I Bat right

So it is a little weird.. And I definitely do not agree with those that claim people who shoot right and a right handed were taught the wrong way.. I think it is just the way it goes.
It is the same with snowboarding.. Lots of people go "regular" (left foot forward), and lots of people go "goofy" (right foot forward). Both sets of people (that I know) are generally "right-footed" people (as in they would kick a soccer ball with their right foot).

So in conclusion. There is no right way, it is all about how it feels to you.

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Headcoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
hmm.. I've never been able to figure this out.. I think it must be multiple factors besides your "writing" hand.

I am right handed
I shoot left in Hockey
I Golf right
I Bat right

So it is a little weird.. And I definitely do not agree with those that claim people who shoot right and a right handed were taught the wrong way.. I think it is just the way it goes.
It is the same with snowboarding.. Lots of people go "regular" (left foot forward), and lots of people go "goofy" (right foot forward). Both sets of people (that I know) are generally "right-footed" people (as in they would kick a soccer ball with their right foot).

So in conclusion. There is no right way, it is all about how it feels to you.
Well, to honest, the reason why most people are right-footed is because the artistic side of the body is controlled by the left side of the brain. People call it the dominate side, I call it the artistic side. Most minds a wired where the left side controls the right side of the body, and vice versa, right side controls the left side.

The right eye, feeds information to the left side of the brain and the left eye feeds information to the right side of the brain. I wonder if the other senses work that way as well? Even though we hear things on our left ear, does that information go to the right side of the brain? If the left side of my brain controls my right hand, then I would think that when I touch something, the information about the touch is stored in the left side of the brain.

Just food for thought. It's just a matter how you look at it I guess...one eye or two!

Head Coach

Old
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Schenn Him

This has been interesting to read. I'm a righty and shoot right handed. I started with a straight stick though, so I guess the possibility was there that I could have gone lefty. I use a broom right handed, but shovel both ways.

Good to know for when I have kids though.

Schenn Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
KBstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Just out of interest, which way do you hold a broom?
Left hand at the top but i think i'm ambidex at this one hehe.

KBstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Quote:
You golf?

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:27 PM
shibdib

im a lefty goalie for the past 12 years... but for messin around with some street hockey in the summer i shoot righty, but can switch lefty if necessary... u pretty much need to try it for awhile and see

shibdib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
So right broom and right shot... sounds correct to my way of thinking.

I'm right handed, broom and shoot left and also shovel left (though I switch to shovel right when tired and play table tennis either hand)

For what it is worth and in honour of Gordie's Birthday I think(?) I first read the broom thing in this book:

Hockey here's Howe

http://www.antiqbook.com/boox/nort/154a6998.shtml

but it was almost 40 years since I read it and my copy is long gone.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who is right broom /left hockey or left broom/ right hockey. Anyone?

Old
03-31-2008, 07:06 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

This is an interesting topic to me. In college I was told by a skating instructer that I skate left handed. The thought never really occured to me, but once it was explained, it made sense. Plus, I can't stickhandle worth a damn. Next time I get to play [*sigh* having a baby makes these things difficult] I'm planning on snagging a leftie to see how it goes.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Yammer

At last, someone else with my problem!

I am a right handed player, started as an adult, and this has been a huge confusion for me. Started shooting right, then was told to switch to left. Switched back to right a few years ago though.

I think it has a lot to do with your other sports. I did kendo for a couple of years, and that has ingrained in me that you put your left hand on the heel.

I wish there were totally flat blades so that I really could try to play ambidextrously, like Gordie Howe. I read somewhere that Paul Kariya was experimenting with this also.

Yammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Boston
Captain Chara

I can't say I agree with the "in Canada they believe their dominant hand should be on the top of the stick" statement. Personally I was just given a straight stick and tried it out both ways at a very young age. I was more comfortable as a righty so it stuck.

Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2008, 11:27 PM
MrBoxOffice

Powerdiver

MrBoxOffice is offline   Reply With Quote