HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Denver Post

Old
05-31-2017, 03:42 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

vCash: 500
My grandather was a cantankerous ol' cowpoke from Wyoming and Marine who served in the Pacific in WWII. If he ever had a problem with Asians (I happen to be the son of an Army soldier and a Korean immigrant) I certainly never noticed. He was as kind a man as I've ever known and we were close up until his death in 1988. He would not have been pleased with Mr. Frei had he been around to see those remarks.

I was in Colorado visiting friends and family when all this garbage went down. I was actually elated to see while watching TV with my old man in Golden that a Japanese man had won the Indy 500. So I'm even more angry with Terry Frei that his willful (and utterly unjustifiable) ignorance has now left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.

I really enjoyed Frei's coverage and commentary in past years, very, very disappointed, angry, and disheartened that a guy as supposedly well-educated and cultured as he is would make a public statement so utterly moronic. At one point I felt a pang of pity for the man but I don't anymore. He deserved to lose his job, as did Dater for his shenanigans.

And I agree, now having nothing but Chambers and Kiz (UGGGGGH) as the Post's Avalanche coverage is not acceptable. I'll be leaning more toward MHH, Eurolanche, and BSN for my Avs news.

The Westword article I read on the whole fiasco suggested that Frei did the Post a favor...that they are likely going to have to swing the axe in order to cut costs and Frei might've been a goner anyway. Take that for what it's worth.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 03:52 PM
GrahamCracker

vCash: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
I have the screen shot. The exact tweet from Chambers was, "Umm, you got something there"
Welp, nevermind. My memory failed me once again.

Last edited by GrahamCracker: 05-31-2017 at 04:14 PM.
GrahamCracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2017, 04:55 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
I have the screen shot. The exact tweet from Chambers was, "Umm, you got something there"
What does that even mean? At least he was smart enough to delete it and avoid getting caught up in that **** storm.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 03:03 AM
raistlin76

Quote:
Varlamov’s $5.9 million cap hit over the next two seasons also was reason the Golden Knights were believed to have zero interest in the Russian.
Quote:
Colorado, which finished with a league-low 48 points last season, is in a roster rebuild but an elite young defensemen is at the top of the needs list. Problem is, the draft’s highest-rated defensemen don’t appear worthy of the No. 4 overall pick. Right-shooting Cale Makar of Canada is the top North American defenseman but is rated ninth among North American prospects. Finland’s Miro Heiskanen, a lefty, is the top European defenseman, but No. 4 overall among his peers.
Chambers in his two articles. Boy oh boy it's worse than I expected. I think he even doesn't read what other much better hockey journalists are writing. Dater said something opposite regarding Varly and in case of Makar and Heiskanen scouts are praising them and they are definitely worth to be picked at 4.

raistlin76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 03:13 AM
Balthazar
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin76 View Post
Chambers in his two articles. Boy oh boy it's worse than I expected. I think he even doesn't read what other much better hockey journalists are writing. Dater said something opposite regarding Varly and in case of Makar and Heiskanen scouts are praising them and they are definitely worth to be picked at 4.
Try to post the link next time so we don't have to fish for it.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/19...ld-trade-pick/

What an absolute piece of garbage article. 2 defensemen are ranked in the top 4.

Balthazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 03:17 AM
raistlin76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Try to post the link next time so we don't have to fish for it.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/19...ld-trade-pick/

What an absolute piece of garbage article. 2 defensemen are ranked in the top 4.
Will do. Thanks
here is about Varly/Picks
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/21...olden-knights/

and here is Dater "response" on it
http://bsndenver.com/sources-las-veg...pansion-draft/

Old
06-22-2017, 03:22 AM
Soedy

The one comment on the Pickard article is hilarious aswell

Quote:
Why buy out Beauchemin? He only had a year left and was a good mentor to the young guys. And now Pickard??? He probably was our best player last year.

Soedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 03:55 AM
The Merchant
Whaddaya buyin'?

Chambers is a ****ing hack. Always has been, always will be. Best to ignore him & the DP completely and lend support to the guys who actually care.

The Merchant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 04:24 AM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

I feel like Chambers stops to get kicked in the head by a horse everyday before he comes in to work.

What did he do, just look up the Central Scouting rankings, and then call it a day?

Mystic MacK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 07:25 AM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Don't know why BSN folks have been going on a Denver Post put down campaign. Those guys just can't help making themselves appear unprofessional.

UncleRisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 07:42 AM
raistlin76

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Don't know why BSN folks have been going on a Denver Post put down campaign. Those guys just can't help making themselves appear unprofessional.
I think Dater is no fan of DP after all that happened between him and them. I'm from Poland not States not even mention Denver but IMHO DP as main newspaper in Denver should cover AVS the best way they can. Right now it's quite opposite. Guy who is main and right now only beat-writer knows almost nothing about Avalanche. I'm here sitting in Poland not in Denver based only on information I can find on twitter and Internet would write articles with more bona fide information than he is doing being in Denver. Of course my English is not as good as his but I can find more genuine information about AVS than he does. It's frustrating that DP doesn't care about AVS at all. I know they are quite bad but still it's one of major sports.
So I understand guys from BSN they also could be frustrated that person like Chambers is main beat-writer for AVS.

Old
06-22-2017, 07:47 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
It's definitely not ideal that BSN (mainly Dater) does that. Now, I've been able to catch wind of how Chambers is when he's not writing terrible articles about the Avalanche and/or espousing his forever love of the DU Pioneers, and...it's probably how you'd expect someone who writes like that to be. It doesn't excuse BSN from that, but my belief is that both he and Dater do not like each other, and it definitely seems to stem from their days working at the Post together.

Doesn't excuse it, I wish BSN wouldn't do it (since I think they're on their way to providing better Avs coverage), and we'll hope to see that reined in going forward.

There's only one thing I hate more than lying: skim milk, which is water that is lying about being milk.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 07:50 AM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistlin76 View Post
So I understand guys from BSN they also could be frustrated that person like Chambers is main beat-writer for AVS.
Laughing at the mistakes Chambers makes does nothing about that and if BSN doesn't realize it's not their place, they can settle in to being a minor fan blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
It's definitely not ideal that BSN (mainly Dater) does that. Now, I've been able to catch wind of how Chambers is when he's not writing terrible articles about the Avalanche and/or espousing his forever love of the DU Pioneers, and...it's probably how you'd expect someone who writes like that to be. It doesn't excuse BSN from that, but my belief is that both he and Dater do not like each other, and it definitely seems to stem from their days working at the Post together.

Doesn't excuse it, I wish BSN wouldn't do it (since I think they're on their way to providing better Avs coverage), and we'll hope to see that reined in going forward.
I understand Dater having some bad blood there but AJ going on a several tweet tirade is ridiculously stupid. I think they do see it as a publicity stunt of sorts at this point and it would be reined in eventually.

Old
06-22-2017, 09:35 AM
Ararana

vCash: 966
IIRC, Chambers called BSN out calling them fake journalists or something like that. It's been on ever since.

Ararana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 09:55 AM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

vCash: 50
At least we're getting some entertainment from two of the worst journalists in the game of hockey.

As long as we don't have to read any of their articles, I'm fine with it.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 10:09 AM
RockLobster
Damnit, Jian Yang!

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
At least we're getting some entertainment from two of the worst journalists in the game of hockey.

As long as we don't have to read any of their articles, I'm fine with it.
Where does Michael Russo fit in to this?

RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 10:20 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic MacK View Post
I feel like Chambers stops to get kicked in the head by a horse everyday before he comes in to work.

What did he do, just look up the Central Scouting rankings, and then call it a day?
Yes. That's all he's done for years and makes his "analysis" from that. Remember when he said we had no shot at Mikko but could probably get Provorov based on the rankings?

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 10:39 AM
madman
Deadmarsh Deli Dills

and yet somehow Rick Sadowski is stuck at hockeybuzz

madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 02:28 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:

I understand Dater having some bad blood there but AJ going on a several tweet tirade is ridiculously stupid. I think they do see it as a publicity stunt of sorts at this point and it would be reined in eventually.
Yeah, I've noticed that to. It's one thing to give the Post or Chambers crap as fans, but if you're trying to get taken seriously as a media outlet, you should check your ego at the door a bit. That's one thing that gets on my nerves with some of the guys there. A bit too much arrogance. You're just reporting on hockey. And you're not always as spot on with your analysis as you think you are.

Mystic MacK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Pokecheque
Formerly Av-merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
and yet somehow Rick Sadowski is stuck at hockeybuzz
Yep.

Of course Westword did say Terry Frei sorta did them a favor. They might have been forced to lay him off anyway.

Very alarming what's happening in sports journalism circles.

Guess I'm relying on BSN, MHH, Hockeybuzz, and Eurolanche for the foreseeable future.

I'll probably pay for a subscription to The Athletic if they open up a branch in Denver.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 03:12 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokecheque View Post
Yep.

Of course Westword did say Terry Frei sorta did them a favor. They might have been forced to lay him off anyway.

Very alarming what's happening in sports journalism circles.

Guess I'm relying on BSN, MHH, Hockeybuzz, and Eurolanche for the foreseeable future.

I'll probably pay for a subscription to The Athletic if they open up a branch in Denver.
MHH is completely worthless, except for tigervixxxen's marvelous takes.

Old
06-22-2017, 03:28 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
MHH is completely worthless, except for tigervixxxen's marvelous takes.
Thanks but Earl does a great job with the Rampage and minors stuff. There's some good articles there.

Old
06-22-2017, 03:31 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Thanks but Earl does a great job with the Rampage and minors stuff. There's some good articles there.
I don't really read yours either I just know you've written there.

Old
06-22-2017, 03:33 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
I don't really read yours either I just know you've written there.
Maybe my takes are crazy, you never know

Old
06-22-2017, 04:00 PM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Maybe my takes are crazy, you never know
Did you write a piece in favor of acquiring Joe Thornton yet?