HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We aren't going to make the playoffs.

Old
03-27-2008, 04:32 AM
DayQuil*

vCash: 500
We aren't going to make the playoffs.

Im so choked... we have 5 games remaining against:

Wild
Flames
Avalanche
Oilers
Flames

The only game I feel confident about is Edmonton, and the other 4 games are going to be close 1 goal games. The Avs and Wild have had our number this year, and the Flames are red hot right now.

Now take a look at Nashville's remaining games:

Columbus
Detroit
St.Louis
St.Louis
Chicago

4/5 teams they play are below them in the western conference...

On top of all that, everyone is saying that they are hoping Luongo's baby comes during the season and not in the playoffs, but if the baby comes any minute now... we probably won't even see the playoffs, One loss can change this season... and even if Luongo is able to play all the games, is his head in the right place... on top of that we have so many issues with our scoring and forwards...

Just by looking at both teams' schedule and situation, If i had to put money on who I think is going to make the playoffs, i think Nashville has a better shot. On top of that Ohlund and Raymond are out of the lineup and it looks like Mo is also out... 3 key players for us.

I love the Canucks and i really hope they pull one out and make it in... but realistically i think we are looking at another 14th overall pick this coming draft.

Last edited by DayQuil*: 03-27-2008 at 04:37 AM.
DayQuil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:43 AM
Macke*

Things have been better.

We'll see, only a week or so to go now.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:46 AM
Brownie

If Luongo only misses a game, I don`t think its the end of the world like most people are thinking. Sanford is in the NHL for a reason. He`s good goalie who has shown us that he is capabe of playing well enough for us to win.

Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:48 AM
DayQuil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie View Post
If Luongo only misses a game, I don`t think its the end of the world like most people are thinking. Sanford is in the NHL for a reason. He`s good goalie who has shown us that he is capabe of playing well enough for us to win.
If the canucks go 4/5 the rest of the year, and Nashville goes 5/5.. we dont make the playoffs... I think 1 game is a big difference... theres only 5 games left in the season... these 5 games determine whether or not we make the playoffs.

Old
03-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Sanford makes only 600K for a reason too.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 05:09 AM
Brownie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLu View Post
If the canucks go 4/5 the rest of the year, and Nashville goes 5/5.. we dont make the playoffs... I think 1 game is a big difference... theres only 5 games left in the season... these 5 games determine whether or not we make the playoffs.
The odds of Nashville winning all 5 games isn`t great, even though the schedule is not that difficult. They have been streaky all year (like the Canucks) so expecting them to win 5 in a row is unlikely. Their goaltending is very unproven and shaky as well.

Brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 05:15 AM
DayQuil*

Quote:
The odds of Nashville winning all 5 games isn`t great, even though the schedule is not that difficult. They have been streaky all year (like the Canucks) so expecting them to win 5 in a row is unlikely. Their goaltending is very unproven and shaky as well.
Im just saying one game makes a difference... The canucks can go 2/5 and Nashville can go 3/5... and we miss the playoffs... I also would rather have Mason/Ellis in net than Sanford, and i also rather have 4/5 games against teams lower than us in the conference rather than 4/5 games with teams above us in the conference. Like i said in my first post, there is much more with the canucks than these 5 games; Luongos baby, Ramyond - Ohlund- and Mo out with injuries, Bieksa is playing like crap, we can't score. The favourite should really be Nashville.

Old
03-27-2008, 05:46 AM
endlessdream83

I guess we're gonna find out if this team has the mental toughness to stay in 8th place!

endlessdream83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 05:57 AM
Fedz

Nonsense.

This team will win its 5 remaining games quite handily giving all bandwagon fans great hope for an amazing post season. In these 5 games, Naslund will outscore the opposition himself 6-4.

This will all lead to a first round matchup with Minnesota (3-6), in which Vancouver loses the first two games, then wins three in a row, and loses the next two, breaking Vancouver bandwagon fans.

Honestly, how bad are some fans here? One minute we're a cup contender, one minute we're a non playoff team...

Fedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 06:10 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz View Post
Honestly, how bad are some fans here? One minute we're a cup contender, one minute we're a non playoff team...
Vancouver, baby!

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 08:59 AM
CASUAL KEV
Jack Adams™

i will vomit if we let the oilers in

CASUAL KEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 10:06 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuKer View Post
i will vomit if we let the oilers in
I'll bring you a bucket, then

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Pure West

Nashville has 4 out of 5 on the road, while we have the opposite. Big difference and to be honest I kind of figured we'd be back on the brink by the end of this road trip, and I'm a pretty big optimist when compared to most around here. Even with Nashville's supposed "easy" schedule they have to play each of their division foes once on the road, where every single one of them has an above .500 record, in any form that you want to define .500 in. Nashville on the other hand is 16-17-4 on the road this year so them winning out or even winning 4 is highly unrealistic IMO.

Pure West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 12:35 PM
Woodrov

vCash: 1000
We play Calgary twice. They currently have more wins than the Canucks, but the Canucks are 4-2 in the season series. Two wins against Calgary puts them below us in the tiebreaker. The Flames play the Oilers twice, Canucks twice and the Wild once down the stretch. Edmonton isn't going to roll over, neither are we.

If we win two against the Flames, all we need to do is match their production... so many ways this could shake down, but I almost guarantee it will have something to do with 3 point games and perhaps a shootout (ugh!), sort of like Toronto (double ugh!) missing last year.

Woodrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Woodrov

vCash: 1000
Also, the game on Sunday is a back-to-back for the Flames who will be facing the Oilers on Saturday night. Who knows, maybe they'll catch the same flying-over-the-Rockies, non-effort-itis bug that is ravaging the Canucks.

Woodrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 12:47 PM
AlbertaNucksFan

I love it. After those two loses I came on here to see how many people were declaring defeat. One thing I was thinking is that Loungo's mind just seems to be somewhere else already.....Maybe down in Florida. Cause that beach ball that flew past him lastnight knows he wasn't between the pipes.

AlbertaNucksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:05 PM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

None of us were thinking this eh? Thanks BobbyLu for bringing this up.

We all know there is a chance we miss the playoffs, and there is a chance we make the playoffs.

Hell Colorado has only 4 games left, and they are against the same tough NW teams that we play, who says they don't lose 4 straight, and Nashville AND Vancouver make the playoffs, Nashville plays San Jose and loses, we play Detroit and win!

Dallas is chokin hard and is 3 points ahead of us, who says theyh are the team who misses the playoffs?

Let's put it this way:
6 Dallas Stars 76 42 29 5 89
7 Colorado Avalanche 78 41 31 6 88
8 Vancouver Canucks 77 38 29 10 86
------------------------------------------
9 Nashville Predators 77 38 31 8 84
10 Edmonton Oilers 78 39 34 5 83

Edmonton is gonna be playing HARD for a playoff spot.
- They play the Avs on friday, and if they win, they are only 3 points behind them, so you gotta think the Oilers could pull that off.
- The Oilers then play Saturday against Calgary. Battle of Alberta, and if Edmonton wins, they are either in a playoff spot (If the Canucks lose, but a game or 2 in hand) or they are one back of the Avs, expect them to where the Flames out, hopefully the Flames pull it out, but not after some exhausting play.
- The Flames then have to fly over the Rockies to play a game the next day against Vancouver. Expect Vancouver to win that one, at home, with a tired Flames team.

So lets say:
Colorado loses to Edmonton and then is taken out by the WIld Sunday
Nashville loses to Detroit, easily beats Columbus
Edmonton beats Colorado, loses a close OT game to Calgary
Vancouver beats Minnesota and beats Calgary at home
Dallas loses to San Jose, beats LA and loses in OT to Anaheim

Standings are:
6 Dallas Stars 79 43 30 6 92
7 Vancouver Canucks 79 40 29 10 90
9 Colorado Avalanche 80 41 33 6 88
------------------------------------------
9 Nashville Predators 79 39 32 8 86
10 Edmonton Oilers 80 40 34 6 86

And all of a sudden, the Canucks are one win or one Nashville loss away from clinching a playoff spot. If we clinch the next game, Luongo can head back to sunny Florida for 4 days and they can have a C-section. He can come back with a fresh mind with a couple days left before we start the playoffs.

And everyone is back on the bandwagon, how freaking exciting!

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:26 PM
thomascal377

if it means anything, i dont want to see nashville in the playoffs...it just doesnt feel right when they are lol

thomascal377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
I would not be surprised if we didn't make the playoffs really. Even if we do it's going to take some miracle to even win a series with Morrison, Ohlund, and Raymond all probably out for the entire first round. I don't even think Mo and Raymond are hard to replace, we just lack the organizational depth to do it.

Honestly, I'm already looking forward to the offseason. Sure, I'd enjoy a few extra hockey games, and the playoff atmosphere, but I'm more excited to see Nonis rebuild our scoring lines then a paltry post-season where we get dominated by the ridiculously high-end Western Conference.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Inside McKenzie

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=232955&hubname=nhl

Morrison out for season & playoffs, Luongo off to florida...

Inside McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:37 PM
goalie311

Wow - seriously, if the Canucks make it it will be a flippin' miracle.

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Tb0ne

Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Unless the team completely gives up in the face of adversity (and that looks like an increasingly realistic possibility) I expect they'll stumble their way into the playoffs by default.

Mason and Ellis arn't great goalies and they've never stuck me as players that will perform under pressure, and Columbus, St.Louis, and Chicago arn't the pushovers everyone here seems to think they are (especially when they would like nothing more than to end Nashville's playoff dreams).

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 03:41 PM
incawg

As of today we're still in a playoff position wiht 5 games left. I can think if far worse positions to be in. Relax people, they'll find a way to pull it out.

incawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
sticknrink

You all see it my way yet?

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 03:49 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg View Post
As of today we're still in a playoff position wiht 5 games left. I can think if far worse positions to be in. Relax people, they'll find a way to pull it out.
That's what she said!

Oh ya!!! Nailed that one. Woohoo!!!!

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote