HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Keys to playoffs next year

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Oilers Hockey

vCash: 500
Preach it, Walsher!

Then we'll see if the media constantly has stories about Flames fans cheering for the Oilers.

Old
05-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyfan
Preach it, Walsher!

Then we'll see if the media constantly has stories about Flames fans cheering for the Oilers.
It is total BS. Only the worst bandwagon jumpers would all of the sudden cheer for CGY. How does that work? I don't get it. Were any Flames fans cheering for the Oilers in the 80's? In the 97 playoffs or any since? Where were those stories? Is it because these clowns have sympathy for the Flames? I am lost. I hate Calgary - I hate the Flames the Stampeders, and the city itself. I guess hell has officially frozen over with them making it to the Conference Finals and some castaway Oilers fans riding their bandwagon. Frankly, if I was a Flames fan (hah, fat chance of that) I would be annoyed that these people all of the sudden are Flames fans. What kind of move is that? Bitterness is all that is left - and it is going to be a long summer (and maybe winter if there is a lockout) for me to pout and listen to all of this garbage.

Old
05-04-2004, 12:24 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Fist off, it makes absolutely ZERO sense to sent Hemsky to Toronto! The kid will simply get away with all his bad habits and with being smaller and weaker. As much as his being small physicaly has been a problem, so has his head - because he hasn't simplified his game yet and he still tries plays that just aren't going to work against NHL calibre blueliners after seeing the move once or twice. To send Hemmer to TO would simply stop any progress he could/would make because he would continually get away with simply being that much more skilled then 99.99% of all players in the AHL. The most important thing for Hemsky is that what he lost in fat last summer he puts back on in muscle - then he'll be set IMO.

As for the goaltending situation, I don't see why i won't work. I think that they should split games right down the middle, although there is nothing wrong with playing hunches either. I think Markanen is the better of the two, because to me, not only does he have more experience in the NHL but he also has a higher top end then Conklin IMO. When Conklin is playing his best he'll give up 2 goals on thirty shots, when Jussi is playing his best he'll give up none or one goal on 30 shots. Either way I think that we'll have a Roloson/Fernandez type situation here next year (I hope atleast).

As for the forwards, I absolutely can't believe how people are writing off Horcoff. People have even forgot to list him in their lines. I guarentee you that if is is for some reason traded that we'd be something decent back - Horcoff as an asset won't just disappear. He had taken steps forward two years in a row now, what is to say that he won't take another one? That is just as likely or more likely then him taking a step backwards IMO. Horcoff is a good type of guy that can be a below NHL average second liner and slightly above NHL average 3rd liner. As for Nedved, well.... let's just keep our fingers crossed, because with him and Bergeron going all year long, I'm sure our PP will improve alot. As for lines, I think that the best thing to do would be to work it like this:
Torres-Nedved-Dvorak
Smyth-York-Hemsky
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Horcoff-Stoll-Laraque

So to me you try and keep Nedved and Dvo together as much as often and York and SMyth together, because that should be able to give us two good scoring lines all year long. The third line is that same ol' dependable RPM line (I can see Salmo or Rita getting in there though this year over Pisani) that is good defensively and will help out offensively with Moreau who should be good for 15 or so and with Pisani who's good for 12-14 or so and with Reasoner as the set up man for them both (45 point season for Marty?). On the PP I want to see York on the blueline a little bit more like he was a couple years ago. Have our PP units:
Smyth-Nedved-Dvorak-York-Bergeron
Torres-Reasoner-Hemsky-Brewer-Semenov/Ulanov/Staios
There's definately he potential there for that, and MacT ****** well better give Raffi more PP time then he did last year - it was pathetic that he was in the top couple in goals on the team yet RARELY saw time on the PP.

As for the defensive end of the game I don't think to much will change from last year except that Smith maybe delt to free up salary and make room for one of or possibly both of Woywitk and Lynch (i think Cross could/should be moved too while his stock is high after a good season because we won't need him with Igor). My pairings look like:
Brewer-Semenov
Ulanov-Bergeron
Staios-Woywitka/Lynch/Cross

So anyways, to me I think that a similar effort from the club will be good to make the playoffs with 3 things: the goaltending improvement, improvement on special teams, and better play against rivals (Flames, Nucks, etc).

Old
05-04-2004, 12:46 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Agreed that Isbister should get one more shot at redemption, but not at his current salary - no way.

If he won't come back at a bargain price (1.4M tops), then I'm sorry but he can take it elsewhere.
Agreed. We should be able to get him at a bargain... At least we better or he is gone. Then Rita gets a spot YAY!!!

Old
05-04-2004, 12:49 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Oilers lose 2-1.........Oilers lose 2-1.......Oilers lose 2-1..........over and over again. There's maybe 1 scoring line there. You really think Fernando Pisani can play on a line like that on a 100 pt team? No way. Why separate them? Because we can do a TON better. Torres isn't the right player for Nedved and Dvorak, you need someone who can match their skill, that's Hemsky, York, or a new guy. If you insist on having a line featuring Smyth to shut down the opposition (a concept I bitterly protest because virutally none of the stronger Eastern teams do it, and they're who we should be emulating line-wise) then go with York-Reasoner-Smyth. Much more scoring, even more defensive ability. If Marty would've had a full season, things would have been alot different for this team. I just hope he's ready to go. That's why I take a floater on Connolly just in case.
Funny, the Oilers were winning 5-4, 5-2, 4-1 with a lineup similar to that. The Oilers don't have the personel for 1 scoring line. If they did, I would say go for it, but there isn't a line that you can put together (realistically) and say damn, beat that. I love Smytty to death, but he isn't a top offensive player. Neither is York. So you have two choices... make one line that you have to hide all the time (ahem, anyone remember the Doug Weight years), or you make a team that you can roll out 2 or more lines against thier top two lines.

You don't put Smyth out there to be a shut down player, you put him out there to completely out-chance and overwhelm the oppositions top line, just like he did at the end of the season. You put him with Pisani and Horcoff because they are all guys who can play like Smyth. They can cycle the puck for a minute and a half to garner a few scoring chances, or they can do something on a break. They are also defensively responsible which allows you to put them against the Modano's, Iginla's, Naslunds, etc... I'll put that line against any line in the league, and the Smyth-Horcoff Pisani will outscore them over the long run in head to head meetings.

You don't need more skill with Dvorak and Nedved, you need someone who can keep pressure down low with physical play and create turnovers. Torres is perfect for that role. He has good hands, so he can clean up the garbage goals. He is going to be one of the better forcheckers in the league some day, and he'll create a tonne of turnovers. This line you sort of have to hide, and play against the oppositions 2nd-4th lines, but Dvorak is good defensively, and Torres suprised me with his defence this past year. I wouldn't want to see them out there against the top lines, but against any other line I will gladly take them.

York-Reasoner-Moreau fits well because Reasoner isn't a goalscorer by anymeans, but has always been a pretty good playmaker. Moreau can crash the net and be a physical presence on the line all the time, and York can get in stretches where he finishes all the time. This is another line I would gladly play against top lines. Another line where I could see them out-chancing the opposition every night and outscoring them most nights.

Our 4th line will always be the energy line, capping out at 12 minutes per game. Stoll gets a little more ice time because he'll play a lot on the penalty kill.

I just don't see why you would play Torres stoll and Smyth together... they don't fit well. Hemsky doesn't belong on the top 2 lines, and (scorer) is a little vague.

Old
05-04-2004, 11:05 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
No but we don't need them to be. All we need out of them is for our D to play like they did last year and the two goalies to have a better then 900 save%. If we have that we make the playoffs.
This is exactly what I am concerned about. That we just GET to the playoffs. This team has got to start having some playoff success. Can we do that with this goalie tandom? I'm skeptical.

Old
05-04-2004, 11:21 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
It is total BS. Only the worst bandwagon jumpers would all of the sudden cheer for CGY. How does that work? I don't get it. Were any Flames fans cheering for the Oilers in the 80's? In the 97 playoffs or any since? Where were those stories? Is it because these clowns have sympathy for the Flames? I am lost. I hate Calgary - I hate the Flames the Stampeders, and the city itself. I guess hell has officially frozen over with them making it to the Conference Finals and some castaway Oilers fans riding their bandwagon. Frankly, if I was a Flames fan (hah, fat chance of that) I would be annoyed that these people all of the sudden are Flames fans. What kind of move is that? Bitterness is all that is left - and it is going to be a long summer (and maybe winter if there is a lockout) for me to pout and listen to all of this garbage.
Spoken like a true Oilers fan!
I agree with everything, except about hating the city. It has actually been a nice city to live in, untill this years playoffs. Everywhere I go there are constant reminders of the Flames recent success. It seems like every second car is flying a Flamers flag. If I wasn't such a strong Oilers fan, it probably wouldn't bother me that much. I for one don't understand how a true Oilers fan can cheer for the Flames. The reverse would never happen. The Oil is absolutely despised down here by the average fan, and most of the sports radio personalities.

Closed Thread