HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Antoine Vermette

Old
03-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
I don't want to be a negative Nancy here, but let's get back to the topic at hand.

Mike Modano, whether we might like to have him or not is not going to be a Columbus Blue Jacket next year. So let's stay on topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Oh give me a break with this on topic nonsense. We are speculating on potential centers in this thread and getting Mike Modano is just as plausable as landing a Jeff Carter or Antoinne Vermette.
Unless Scott- errrrr, Stretch, knows something the rest of us don't.

Old
03-27-2008, 01:09 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Evgeni Malkin anyone? Malkin and Zherdev...oh mama mia.

Its a real possibility that the Pens would deal him. Buccigross has addressed the financial situation in Pittsburgh a few times before, but this response to an email is a good summary of the situation in Steel City:

Quote:
If the Penguins trade Malkin, it will be purely financial. It will be because Malkin demands more money per season than Sidney Crosby or because the Penguins will believe signing Malkin could cost them Ryan Malone, Marc Andre-Fleury and Jordan Staal. All could get big unrestricted or restricted offer sheets. Malone likely will get around four to six years at $4 million per on the open market this summer. Should the Penguins match that? Tough call. I lean toward no.

Malone has value with his size, fighting, adequate goal scoring and growing experience (he hasn't even played 300 NHL games yet); but, he is a slightly above-average player. I would be more comfortable at $3.5 million annually over a five-year deal. These are the tough kinds of decisions GM Ray Shero has to make as he manages his cap. He and other GMs can't fall in love with players much as NFL capologists don't. GMs must try to keep terms down. The two-year deal given to Petr Sykora last summer at $2.5 million annually is an incredibly astute signing by Shero.

Fleury is another interesting restricted free agent. Do you sign him for one year or try to lock him up for more term at a manageable cap number? What do you do if you are Fleury? Do you take $3 million a year for three years? $4 million a year over six? Three million for four years probably makes sense for both sides. I think Fleury would outperform that contract, but it is still $12 million guaranteed, and he can buy all the hair paste he needs.

Staal is another interesting case. Will he be advised to take it to restricted free agency? If he continues to improve, will someone take a chance with an aggressive offer sheet? He is on the wrong team to fully develop his game. He may never get the power-play time or ice time as long as Crosby and Malkin are on the Penguins.

The NHL probably needs to look at extending entry-level contracts from three years to five years, or at least having the option to extend it to five. Established players will go for that because these huge restricted free-agency year dollars are taking money out of veterans' pockets. And fans deserve seeing their teams have some continuity after they're asked to shell out thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars for season tickets.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:31 PM
Casework

It's something I've always secretly hoped for, but can you imagine what the asking price would be?

I would say he's still probably a few years from his prime and he's already putting up 100 points. The only thing the Jackets have on their side is the fact that Pittsburgh might be forced into making a move, since they don't want to pay him more than Crosby, and also depending on how they feel about Hossa, and the future of Fleury, Staal, etc.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 01:52 PM
CapnCornelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
Evgeni Malkin anyone? Malkin and Zherdev...oh mama mia.

Its a real possibility that the Pens would deal him. Buccigross has addressed the financial situation in Pittsburgh a few times before, but this response to an email is a good summary of the situation in Steel City:
Buccigross is an idiot. Just because he's saying it doesn't make it so.

Fleury will get re-signed this summer for reasonable money. Quite frankly, he hasn't set the world on fire, so he won't even get the kind of money LeClaire will get.

Malone for $4 million? He's put up 50 points on a team with two superstars. I like Malone, I'm just not sure I like him at that price. The fact that Malone is a hometown boy, literally, makes a hometown discount likely.

Jordan Staal hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with 27 points. I've also heard rumblings that he's a bit of a malcontent. Which would you re-sign: Malkin or Staal?

And, again, Bucci ignores the fact that the Pens have a shiny new arena about to open. Do you think letting one of the best talents in the league go will be good for marketing that new facility?

I think Shero is smart enough that he's going to do what it takes to keep Malkin. But hey, I remember Eklund saying at some point this year that Ovechkin was going to Nashville.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Buccigross is an idiot. Just because he's saying it doesn't make it so.

Fleury will get re-signed this summer for reasonable money. Quite frankly, he hasn't set the world on fire, so he won't even get the kind of money LeClaire will get.

Malone for $4 million? He's put up 50 points on a team with two superstars. I like Malone, I'm just not sure I like him at that price. The fact that Malone is a hometown boy, literally, makes a hometown discount likely.

Jordan Staal hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire with 27 points. I've also heard rumblings that he's a bit of a malcontent. Which would you re-sign: Malkin or Staal?

And, again, Bucci ignores the fact that the Pens have a shiny new arena about to open. Do you think letting one of the best talents in the league go will be good for marketing that new facility?

I think Shero is smart enough that he's going to do what it takes to keep Malkin. But hey, I remember Eklund saying at some point this year that Ovechkin was going to Nashville.
"Buccigross is an idiot."

I would disagree. All Bucci is saying is that they have some hard choices to make. You can't give Malkin a Crosby like contract and resign those other 3 guys. Something has to give. I don't think its any different than speculating a Marleau trade scenario.

I do agree however that Fluery will take less to stay in Pitt on a team that's going to be a playoff fixture for foreseeable future. Malone and Staal, I'm not so sure about. Staal would see PP time on a lot of teams in this league, something he gets little of in Pitt. Malone, he's not going to put up better numbers anywhere else, so I tend to lump him in with Fleury(willing to take a little less pay to stay on board with Sid the Kid).

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
"Buccigross is an idiot."

I would disagree. All Bucci is saying is that they have some hard choices to make. You can't give Malkin a Crosby like contract and resign those other 3 guys. Something has to give. I don't think its any different than speculating a Marleau trade scenario.

I do agree however that Fluery will take less to stay in Pitt on a team that's going to be a playoff fixture for foreseeable future. Malone and Staal, I'm not so sure about. Staal would see PP time on a lot of teams in this league, something he gets little of in Pitt. Malone, he's not going to put up better numbers anywhere else, so I tend to lump him in with Fleury(willing to take a little less pay to stay on board with Sid the Kid).
I'm not saying that Bucci is an idiot - just that he's only looking at half the picture.

Great teams in the NHL are going to have to make a ton of hard choices. It's a pretty easy choice locking up 2 of top 4 centers in the league when both of those guys make their linemates better. I lose no sleep over someone signing J Staal to a big offersheet that would return multiple 1st round DP's.

I think that Bucci is trying to make a bold statement to generate some buzz. All he's doing is throwing shyte at the wall and see what sticks. IMO, there's NO way that Malkin gets traded, and even if he did, it would absolutely gut any sort of depth within the Jackets organization.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote