HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Giving the Devil(s) his due...

Old
03-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Brodeur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal74 View Post
You can't blame Conte for trades - that's Lou's authority.
I think you underestimate how much power each head scout has at the draft table. The Blues had a fantastic video from their draft in 2007. Larry Pleau might not have been able to go to the bathroom without Jarmo Keikelainen's blessing. Any trade offer, Pleau ran it by Jarmo for his blessing. If Jarmo said no, the Blues didn't take it.

I'd imagine Lou does the same with Conte. It's Conte's job to know the prospects. It's not hard to imagine that NHL GMs are more preoccupied with the NHL team and have to rely heavily on their scouts for info on prospects. In 1995, Lou couldn't even pronounce "Petr Sykora" correctly when he announced the pick.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:55 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I think you underestimate how much power each head scout has at the draft table. The Blues had a fantastic video from their draft in 2007. Larry Pleau might not have been able to go to the bathroom without Jarmo Keikelainen's blessing. Any trade offer, Pleau ran it by Jarmo for his blessing. If Jarmo said no, the Blues didn't take it.

I'd imagine Lou does the same with Conte. It's Conte's job to know the prospects. It's not hard to imagine that NHL GMs are more preoccupied with the NHL team and have to rely heavily on their scouts for info on prospects. In 1995, Lou couldn't even pronounce "Petr Sykora" correctly when he announced the pick.
Bobby Clarke didn't even know who Claude Giroux was. Anybody got a video of that?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Buzz Killington

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal74 View Post
You can't blame Conte for trades - that's Lou's authority. They might of had Corrente higher on their list than Berglund anyway.
I think Conte would have a great deal of control over drafting decisions. Clearly Corrente was as high or higher on the Devil's list than Berglund. And like everyone else said, while it looks like the Devils made a mistake, let's wait and see how the players careers turn out. If Corrente turns out to be a solid player, I wouldn't be too upset. Obviously you want to get the best player available with every pick, but drafting is an inexact science.

Buzz Killington is offline   Reply With Quote