HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Scoreboard

Old
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
tonight...go Flames! if they can knock off the Avs, we've got a chance to pull back into 8th, tomorrow.

Also...go Wild! though it's not looking good early, edmonton already up 3-1. we could wake up tomorrow in 10th.
useless Phlegms

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Trotz View Post
useless Phlegms
Calgary is playing very physical, but also very stupid. Iginla for example allowed himself to be taken off by Jeff Finger for 4 minutes in the second.

Flames back to the PP at the start of the third, gotta play more disciplined and bury an opportunity or two to win this thing!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

With the Oilers victory ... Nashville falls to 10th ... wow

Old
03-25-2008, 10:41 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

we leapfrog the idle oilers, and Calgary scores 3 unanswered to defeat the Canucks in regulation!

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
we leapfrog the idle oilers, and Calgary scores 3 unanswered to defeat the Canucks in regulation!
are you ****in' kidding me?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ... that's AWESOME!

Old
03-26-2008, 02:49 AM
dulzhok

We may be able to sneak in becuase of we have very winnable games, and the Avs and Canucks have a pretty diffiicult schedule (including playing each other twice). Let's just hope one of them gets beat up good. Better, yet, lets just win our games. Win 4 of 5, I think we're in. Win 3 of 5, we'll have a chance.

Go Wild, Go Flames.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 09:28 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
COL beating the crap out of VAN tonight, chasing Luongo from the net.

Watching this race for the 7/8 positions will be worth the price of admission.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:23 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
COL beating the crap out of VAN tonight, chasing Luongo from the net.

Watching this race for the 7/8 positions will be worth the price of admission.
Good. I'd rather us chase Vancouver than Colorado mainly because we hold the first tie breaker with Vancouver

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
Good. I'd rather us chase Vancouver than Colorado mainly because we hold the first tie breaker with Vancouver
I think we NEEDED Vancouver to win this game to make it easier for us ... now Colorado is 4 points up on us and Vancouver is 2 points up on us

Old
03-26-2008, 11:55 PM
braindead

At this point though don't we just need one more win than Vancouver in the last 5 games (unless the Oil catch us both)?

If the Nucks go 5-0, we have to hope to catch someone else.

They have a road Wild game and then 4 home games with Flames, Avs, Oilers, Flames. If they go 5-0, then they deserve to make it.

They have lost in the last 7 days to teams they play in 4 of those 5.

I think there is a real chance that they go 2-3 or 3-2 in those games, opening the door for the Preds. The bigger concern is whether the Preds have what it takes to walk through the door.

Preds have one home (Blues) and 4 road games with Jackets, Wings, Blues, Hawks. Easier teams... but it requires winning on the road.

I'm going to guess that it all will come down to the Hawks game on the last day of the season.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 12:33 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Ugh, can't believe I'm actually saying thank you Avs... I feel dirty... feel even dirtier rooting for them when they play the 'nucks again soon.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 11:49 AM
braindead

Maybe this is better in the media thread but comments from our buddy Kevin Allen in a recent article. Part of me is pissed to read it, but he probably is right. I'd be happy if the Wings follow the advice and "rest up" against the Preds Sunday- pride went out the window when I rooted for the Avs and Flames this week.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../80327006/1053

Excerpt:

Are the Nashville Predators the easiest first-round draw?

ďOh, absolutely, with their goalkeeping the way itís been. When youíre down to the stretch run and your coach is demanding they call up a minor-league goalie because he wants another option in goal, I donít think thatís something that builds confidence in your team. (David) Legwand, who is a very important player, is banged up and he could be out into the first round. I donít think Nashville has played particularly well and even if they limp in, itís who you would want to play against without a doubt.Ē

On the Wings playing their stars against Nashville on Sunday:

ďThatís something weíll all be talking about. What Iíve always said about that is look, I think you have to try to be practical in this. I think if they really dressed an all-Grand Rapids lineup, I think that would be inappropriate. But if they rested four or five guys, why risk that game that means nothing to you? So I think thatís acceptable, but using the entire Grand Rapids team would not.Ē

Last edited by braindead: 03-27-2008 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Shaking the bush boss, I'm shaking the bush
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 03:24 PM
jstreet

vCash: 1453
I disagree entirely. if the Preds make the eight spot and stay out of the penalty box, Detroit has plenty to worry about.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Radulov for Czar*

I am just looking for us to sneak in and hopefully suprise some folks.

Radulov for Czar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 05:57 PM
lstcyr

I don't necessarily disagree that we look like the easiest first round draw. We have our goalie problems. We did bring up our minor league goalie in the stretch run (AND planned to start him). Legwand is hurt and might be out for the first round. We sure do look like the easiest.

Having said that, the Red Wings better watch out if we make it because they'll have their hands full.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Radulov for Czar*

I hope we get a first round matchup with the Wings, and they underestimate us. We need Ellis to step up if we want a chance to win though.

Old
03-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

If anybody needs a boost of confidence for our team making the playoffs check out this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=496890

Quite a few Vancouver fans aren't too optimistic. They have a bunch of injuries and Luongo is MIA while his wife has a baby.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
If anybody needs a boost of confidence for our team making the playoffs check out this thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=496890

Quite a few Vancouver fans aren't too optimistic. They have a bunch of injuries and Luongo is MIA while his wife has a baby.
let's hope we can sneak in. It all starts with a big win tomorrow!

Old
03-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Florida is all but eliminated from the playoffs ... 7 points back AND the B's have a game in hand on the Panthers ... so the draft pick in the Vokoun trade will at least be in the top half of the first round ... Thank you Atlanta

Old
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Florida is all but eliminated from the playoffs ... 7 points back AND the B's have a game in hand on the Panthers ... so the draft pick in the Vokoun trade will at least be in the top half of the first round ... Thank you Atlanta
I'm really hoping for somewhere between 9-11 so we can possibly get a shot at Michael Boddeker or Colin Wilson.

Old
03-27-2008, 09:41 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'm really hoping for somewhere between 9-11 so we can possibly get a shot at Michael Boddeker or Colin Wilson.
would you package that pick and Suter for #1 overall?

Old
03-27-2008, 09:43 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radulov for Heisman View Post
would you package that pick and Suter for #1 overall?
our package would probably have to be Suter, our first, Panthers first, and probably Tampa's second? ... does that sound about right SLake ?

Old
03-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Radulov for Czar*

Quote:
our package would probably have to be Suter, our first, Panthers first, and probably Tampa's second? ... does that sound about right SLake ?
signed, sealed, and delivered.

Old
03-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
I think the second is too much honestly. Suter was a top ten pick that has developed into a solid NHL defenseman with still room to grow, add two first round picks in the 10-15 range and I think you'll have yourself a deal if it was LA (since Lombardi loves our defensemen).

That being said, I'm not sure I would do it...and I know you'll all call me crazy, but where is Stamkos going to fit in our lineup with Arnott and Legwand signed for the next three+ years??? Do you have him at second line center with Legwand at third line? I guess I would just need to look it over and really fall in love with the position it would put us in before I would pull that trigger. I hate for any player to have the hype put on them that a No. 1 pick does...it really depends on their mental makeup to determine how well they perform.

Bottom line is that I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, but I'm not jumping at it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radulov for Heisman View Post
signed, sealed, and delivered.
Why? Explain why you think you would do this package? What is it about Stamkos that would set up our franchise both on AND off the ice for the future? Any pick of that magnitude would have to pay for itself at the box office and would bring incredible scrutiny and pressure to our market to sell out every game (which obviously I would love to see us do in the near future). What has you so sold on Stamkos that makes you think he is worth a top young defenseman already proven in the NHL, two firsts (10-15 range), and a 2nd rounder in the 35-40 range?

Old
03-28-2008, 02:19 AM
dspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Why? Explain why you think you would do this package? What is it about Stamkos that would set up our franchise both on AND off the ice for the future? Any pick of that magnitude would have to pay for itself at the box office and would bring incredible scrutiny and pressure to our market to sell out every game (which obviously I would love to see us do in the near future). What has you so sold on Stamkos that makes you think he is worth a top young defenseman already proven in the NHL, two firsts (10-15 range), and a 2nd rounder in the 35-40 range?
These are the first overall picks since 1997:
07: Kane
06: EJ
05: Crosby
04: Ovechkin
03: Fleury
02: Nash
01: Kovalchuk
00: DiPietro
99: Stefan
98: Lecavalier
97: Thornton

These are the notable 10-15th picks (out of 66 total) over the same time frame:
07: None yet
06: None yet
05: Kopitar, Marc Staal
04: Stafford, Radulov
03: A. Kostytsin, Carter, D. Brown, Seabrook, Nilsson
02: Semin, Higgins, Ballard
01: Hamhuis, Hemskey, Kobasew
00: None
99: None
98: Antropov, Tanguay
97: M. Hossa, Cleary

So 9/11 of these first overall picks were total studs, one is a good goalie and one a total bust. Only ~20/66 of the 10-15th picks are currently notable NHLers (less than 5 who could be considered elite NHL players), with a lot of total busts. With the first overall pick you have a very, very good chance of ending up with a superstar. With two 10-15 picks you have a decent chance of ending up with couple of good NHLers. Which would you rather have?

dspot is offline   Reply With Quote