HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jakob Markstrom VS Harri Sateri

Old
03-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Pellegrino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFA87-66-99 View Post
Wow! Thats a bold statement. If your serious I hope your right. Does he compare to any present goalies?
It's not a bold statement by "fruitsandroots". It's the most common opinion among those who have seen Markström played for Brynäs SEL team this season. Their coach, Leif Boork, even said so as well. Boork is one of the most experienced coaches in Sweden and he also coached Nicklas Bäckström some years ago before he had his breakthrough in SEL and he also saw Bäckström's potential. And besides, Boork was also Lindbergh's coach when he was 18 and made his debut & had his breakthrough, oh man - Boork is really an oldie

Markström has been superb, despite playing under HUGE pressure. There's probably not a single goalkeeper with more pressure, and still he's totally outstanding in their games. He has the stats 92,7% and 1.67 so far in kvalserien (they have played 3 games), but he played SEL games before that and was good there too.

He was better than Ed Belfour when they won against Leksand last week.

He's by far the best swedish goalkeeper prospect, sure Enroth and Larsson are also good goalkeepers and they are NHL material, but Markström has potential to become one of the very best goalkeepers in the entire NHL. He's fantastic.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Pellegrino

I just watched Mora-Brynäs (2-2). Markström saved 48 shoots and was the best player on the ice. He might be one of the best goalkeepers in Sweden right now. 96% tonight.

Old
03-27-2008, 04:19 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
I saw the game too.. He was good no doubt.. looked a bit shaky a couple of times, and needs some work on his rebound control... but he was the best player on the ice...

I dont think he is one of the best goalies in sweden... I need to see him regularly in the SEL first.. but he definitely has potential..

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Pellegrino

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
I saw the game too.. He was good no doubt.. looked a bit shaky a couple of times, and needs some work on his rebound control... but he was the best player on the ice...

I dont think he is one of the best goalies in sweden... I need to see him regularly in the SEL first.. but he definitely has potential..
Who would be better? No goalkeeper has been really impressive in the SEL playoffs so far. Perhaps Liv or Stana.

Old
03-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Who would be better? No goalkeeper has been really impressive in the SEL playoffs so far. Perhaps Liv or Stana.
Backlund, Larsson, Enroth, Bjurling and Krizan and the guys you mentioned to name a few, are all better the Markstrom at this point.. Keep in mind.. he is only 18..

Old
03-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Spalfredsson

So I think we have come to a consensus that Markstrom is looking better than Sateri...

What about Pickard vs. Sateri vs. Mackstrom?? Are they all on the same level or is pickard a notch above or below?

Spalfredsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
IMO Pickard is the best goalie in the draft...

Old
03-28-2008, 09:39 AM
JFA87-66-99

I wonder why Enroth and Larsson were not even rated in the 2008 Future Watch? I would think these 2 could make a top 75 list. They dont even have Larsson in the Red Wings top 10 prospect list. Strange

JFA87-66-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Ola

I've only seen Sateri in the WJC, a level that Markström probably wasn't even close to making, but I was not that impressed by him there. But like I said, I haven't seen much of him at all and when I have it have been under not so great conditions, like for a poor finnish team playing against better teams.

Markström though have really impressed me lately. I don't make much sense comparing him to Lundqvist "at the same age" since Lundqvist developed a ton when he was 19 y/o. Like comparing someone to a 17 y/o Zettberg who was like 5'8 150 lbs... (who also grew and developed a ton when he was 19)

He is very explosive for someone his size, and pretty composed too. He isn't Lethonen "smooth" but got allot of raw qualitys. He seems to have allot of character too and thats always important for a goalie.

I think Markström got a ton of potential, but I don't expect him to go all that high in the draft due to the 2 year rule and everything.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 01:20 PM
hawksfan50

Last year's draft had zero goalies taken in round one--overall it was considered a poor crop though there will always be surprises..the year before 4 goalies went in the first round...Debate exists as to how many or if any (perhaps Markstrom) goes in late round one this year--BUT I (as oopsed to Redline) do think it is a deep goalie crop this year particulrly in round 2 and 3 calibre goalie prospects...

IF you were drafting in the 9-12 spot and say Boedker was already plucked off and Myers was already off the board as the 5th D-man taken --what would you do?

Colin Wilson =skating issues (flaws)
Josh Bailey= ditto--but in any case good set-up guy but not a great shot (flaws)
take 6th best D-man? = starts to get risky..

GRAB pick of the litter-as your scouts see it-of the goalie crop (Markstrom?) --MIGHT BE THE BEST CHOICE! However if he doesn't pan out take another goalie ( to cut the risk) with a round two or early 3rd round pick...Suppose you did not have a 2nd rounder...

You might still end up with:

Markstrom+ Eddie Lack or Anders Lindback (ie. 2 of the best from the Swedish goalie crop)
or
Markstrom and Dominik Furch (best Swedish and best Czech goalie)
or
Markstrom and Holtby or Cousineau or Killeen or Tokarski...

This would be a preety good strategy then to upgrade org goalie depth...

If you had a 2nd rounder from #40-43 this strategy could produce:

Markstrom and one of the higher ranked N.A. goalies like Pikard Delmas or McCollum or Finnish goalie Harri Sateri..

Of course goalie rankings by actual NHl teams can be finicky -BUT if Markstrom emerges as a consensus 1st goalie to be taken candidate then there is a depth of other good goalies probably spread out to last through to at least mid-3rd round..So you could go with a strategy to pluck off Markstrom and another pretty decent goalie prospect and consider your draft a good success...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote