HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best reffed game of the playoffs, perhaps best game too.

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 11:55 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
2. The Hatcher hit... my buddy said he saw Fraser kind of brush his shoulder when Sutter was talking to him. But that is strictly 2nd hand info.
He was probably checking for dandruff.

It was a great game, and the referees were a non-story in my view (which is a good thing.) The Hatcher elbow would have been tough to spot without benefit of replay.

Old
05-04-2004, 12:10 PM
DarioinDenver

The replay of Iginla's shot when Maltby pushed the net off indicates to me that the shot would have hit the outside of the net. Just look at where he shoots the pucka and the where the goal post was. Not a commentator mentioned it but it looked pretty obvious to me. For that reason I don't think you can conclude the goal was imminate and award a goal. So while it was underhanded it was the right call I believe.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Hellsempire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Snepts
Kerry Fraser is one of the best and most consistent refs in the NHL right now. Any time he's part of the officiating crew, I at least know that the calls will be made both ways.

That is true but he is still one of the worst in the NHL. You are the first that I have seen say Fraser is one of the best.

Old
05-04-2004, 02:43 PM
paxtang

I think Fraser is one of the best as well, and I bet a majority of the players in the NHL would agree. You can't see everything, calls will be missed. But if you are consitant, and the players know what will be a penalty and what won't, and you let the players decide the game and not the refs or a league mandate, then the players respect the refs.

Old
05-04-2004, 05:19 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeye
So why were the Red Wings allowed to rush down the ice when the net was clearly dislodged?
Because the play was going the other way. The Red Wings net being displaced had no effect on the play while the Red Wings were in control of the puck.

It's one of those things where the referee is allowed to use his better judgment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
Fraser is one of the worst refs
And that is why he is the most veteran NHL referee.

You don't stay in the league for 20+ years, and consistantly work deep into the playoffs, when you are "one of the worst refs".

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
The Hatcher elbow would have been tough to spot without benefit of replay.
Exactly. Even the 20,000 fans at the Saddledome didn't know what happened until they saw a replay on the jumbo tron.

Old
05-04-2004, 11:22 PM
Kirk Muller

Quick question to Van:

I have seen in the past, when a case like Maltby who pushes off the net just prior to a guarenteed goal, the ref has awarded a goal. Is there another rule on this or is discretion allowed. For some reason a Montreal/Boston game quite a few years ago comes to mind, could be wrong but I know I have seen it happen in the NHL before.

Old
05-04-2004, 11:48 PM
Youreallygotme

ok. Does anyone else think that frasers hair makes him an easy target? I mean, he's always voted as the top ref by the players(sorry no link, ive seen it somewhere) and he's a great ref.

on the other hand, Mick mcgeough has the worst name ive ever heard in sports, but he isnt a good ref so that doesnt affect him at all.

People are just too hard on refs sometimes. I used to be, until i started reffing myself. Of course you can officiate a game from your living room. but with all the obstruction going on now, it's hard for one ref to be consistant with all the other refs. Thats why last nights refs(fraser and who?) did a great job.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:28 AM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Quick question to Van:

I have seen in the past, when a case like Maltby who pushes off the net just prior to a guarenteed goal, the ref has awarded a goal. Is there another rule on this or is discretion allowed. For some reason a Montreal/Boston game quite a few years ago comes to mind, could be wrong but I know I have seen it happen in the NHL before.
Rule 51 (c)

A minor penalty shall be imposed on any player (including the goalkeeper) who delays the game by deliberately displacing a goal post from its normal position. The Referee or Linesmen shall stop play immediately when a goal post has been displaced.

If the goal post is deliberately displaced by a goalkeeper or player during the course of a "breakaway," a penalty shot will be awarded to the non-offending Team, which shot shall be taken by the player last in possession of the puck.

(NOTE) A player with a "breakaway" is defined as a player in control of the puck with no opposition between him and the opposing goal and with a reasonable scoring opportunity.

In the event that a goalpost is deliberately displaced by a defending player or goalkeeper, prior to the puck crossing the goal line between the normal position of the goalposts, the Referee, at his discretion, may assess a minor penalty under Rule 51(c) (paragraph 1), a penalty shot under Rule 51(d), or award a goal.

============================

Yes, the referees are allowed to use their discretion and award a goal.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:24 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Yes, the referees are allowed to use their discretion and award a goal.
Nashville's first ever goal was awarded like this. The net was dislodged as Brunette was wristing the puck into the open net. Very few realized what was going on. I didn't think they'd award a goal (it just doesn't happen very often). But there was a major shock in the crowd when they gave it to Nashville. I don't think it was a rule most Nashvillians knew all too well back then.

As for the refs, given that they aren't going to call the holdings and obstruction, I thought it was a well called game. Still not what I wanted, but I won't get what I want until they call it from the rulebook. But that's for another thread. I thought there were a few missed calls (Hatcher on Lombardi) and a few calls I would have made (major hits from behind into the boards). But the refs early on let it be known that they were going to allow that physical play against the boards. It's real dangerous to do because I thought it opened the door for both teams to take liberties on players near the boards. But it worked out OK.

The NHL just needs to sit down with the refs and go over what should and shouldn't be called against the boards. I think this is one area that doesn't effect game flow and should be called the same from game to game. If they hammer that out, I'd be very happy. There's a little too much inconsistency from game to game with regards to boarding.

Old
05-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Lafontaine

Funny

I think its hilarious anyone would say that a Calgary game was well reffed. Calgary (even though I do like them) is pretty much an example of everything that is wrong with the NHL. Clutch, grab, hook, spear, cross-check, elbow....thats the style. It works, congratulations to them. If I could get away with that stuff and win, I'd do it too, but the fact that the refs allow all that non-sense is disgraceful and is ruining the game of hockey in my opinion.

If a player pulls another player from behind with his stick, should that not ALWAYS be a hooking penalty???

If a player takes his stick, holds it side ways and uses it as a weapon, whether its the slightest love tap, or an all out hammering, is that not a cross-check???

If a player - be it up against the boards, in the neutral zone, or along the boards -wraps his arms or stick around a player so that he can't even move, is this not the definition of holding???

When a player raises his grip on his stick and reaches out to poke at or axe chop another player, be it on his legs, his hands, his feet...shouldn't that always be called a slashing or spearing penalty???

To me, hockey has sort of become a no holds barred wrestling match of some kind. Of course there is less scoring in the NHL. Why? Because if I'm a player on a system oriented, work-hard team like Calgary, I don't even have to have any talent. If Steve Yzerman, or Pavel Datsyuk gets the puck - no worries - as long as I'm fast enough to catch him I'll just jab my stick in his ribs, hook him the entire way down the ice (just as long as he doesn't fall down), then when my lugging weight eventually slows him down, I'll forget that I even have a stick and that we are playing hockey, give him a big bear hug and pin him against the boards. Leaving him to wonder why he even bothered developing all of the wonderful skills he posseses if he was just going to end up playing hockey in North America!

Blah - it all makes me sick sometimes. :mad:

Closed Thread