HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the Coach Talking About?

Old
03-28-2008, 09:42 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

vCash: 500
Who is the Coach Talking About?

After the lame loss to the Preds, Coach said in the postgame interview that the team has several people who aren't going to the places they need to be in order to score. And he looked fed up (again).

Who is he talking about?

Obvious choices:
-Brule
-Vyborny
-Boll

Perhaps...
-Zherdev (seems to have Vybo disease)
-Chimera

Who else?
-
-

And who is he NOT talkin about?
-Modin (when he plays)
-Malhotra (seems to me he loves going in front of the net)

Is he talking about Defenseman too?
-Hainsey perhaps? Hainsey's shots are so bad he isn't worth $3 mil

Lastly...This is not a new issue, and it's a matter of following the coach's demands.
So why aren't they doing what coach has repeatedly told them to do?

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 09:52 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
We need a thread detailing the players that must be cut...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
I'd say he IS talking about Zhedev. He said he's thinking more like a "playmaker" than a "shooter" recently due to his lack of goal scoring.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 10:20 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

The thing I really like about Hitch is his brutal honesty. To answer the question of who he was talking about, you usually only have to look at the ice time for each player.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Pluckfur

Hitch had better have been talking about everybody because there is no other explanation or excuse for fifty effing three shots and zero goals.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 10:57 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
I'd say he IS talking about Zhedev. He said he's thinking more like a "playmaker" than a "shooter" recently due to his lack of goal scoring.
There's nothing wrong with being a "playmaker" - so long as you have someone (anyone) who knows how to finish on the play.

Old
03-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
There's nothing wrong with being a "playmaker" - so long as you have someone (anyone) who knows how to finish on the play.
That's the problem, Chimera is a cancer to Zherdev. Nikki is setting him up with beautiful passes and Chimmer can't put a puck in the back of the net to save his life. He's killing Zherdev.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
That's the problem, Chimera is a cancer to Zherdev. Nikki is setting him up with beautiful passes and Chimmer can't put a puck in the back of the net to save his life. He's killing Zherdev.
Zherdev has been on Malhotra and Nash's line. In weeks preceding ... yeah, Chimmer put a damper on Z's scoring, but I'm not going to say he's been any worse for Z's game than Z has. Takes two to tango ... or, um, something like that.

Old
03-28-2008, 11:08 PM
Renion

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
The thing I really like about Hitch is his brutal honesty. To answer the question of who he was talking about, you usually only have to look at the ice time for each player.
Not sure if you're being facetious, but if you are, well done, and if you aren't, you should be

As for who Hitch is talking about: I don't care. Hitch doesn't know how to make guys score. He knows where guys score from, but that doesn't mean going to those areas will magically make guys score. He thinks that hard work solves all problems. These are all things he thinks, and things he says (and, indeed, things he should--and must--say), but they are not truths.

Without quick passes, movement, and so forth, shots from prime scoring areas are just shots on goal, not scoring chances.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Something is not right on this team and it is not just Zherdev. The guy played balls out for the whole season then all of a sudden he does nothing? I'm sorry folks, Hitch said prior to the trade deadline he wanted NO changes and what happened: Foote and Fedorov gone.

Who knows hockey better, Howson or Hitchcock? You can answer for yourself.

Old
03-28-2008, 11:19 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Not sure if you're being facetious, but if you are, well done, and if you aren't, you should be

As for who Hitch is talking about: I don't care. Hitch doesn't know how to make guys score. He knows where guys score from, but that doesn't mean going to those areas will magically make guys score. He thinks that hard work solves all problems. These are all things he thinks, and things he says (and, indeed, things he should--and must--say), but they are not truths.

Without quick passes, movement, and so forth, shots from prime scoring areas are just shots on goal, not scoring chances.
Hitch doesn't believe hard work solves all problems... he said as much tonight in his post-game comments. He said everyone is working hard right now, but not playing smart and not getting to the areas on the ice where the majority of all goals are scored from. When's the last time you saw anyone even get their stick on a puck for a TRY at a deflection goal? I can't think of any myself.

Old
03-28-2008, 11:24 PM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Something is not right on this team and it is not just Zherdev. The guy played balls out for the whole season then all of a sudden he does nothing? I'm sorry folks, Hitch said prior to the trade deadline he wanted NO changes and what happened: Foote and Fedorov gone.

Who knows hockey better, Howson or Hitchcock? You can answer for yourself.
Hitch doesn't make personnel decisions, Howson does. Hitch could have had the GM position if he'd wanted it - but he didn't want it. Hitch is smart enough to know that roster building isn't his strong suit in the business and sport of hockey.

Old
03-28-2008, 11:43 PM
Renion

Quote:
Hitch doesn't believe hard work solves all problems... he said as much tonight in his post-game comments. He said everyone is working hard right now, but not playing smart and not getting to the areas on the ice where the majority of all goals are scored from. When's the last time you saw anyone even get their stick on a puck for a TRY at a deflection goal? I can't think of any myself.
Well, we all know why those deflection goals don't happen often with the Jackets. Players aren't getting in front of the net often enough. When they do, the shots either aren't getting through traffic (Wilson aside, the past few games) or they are completely missing the net. Let's also not forget that those shots often don't happen to begin with.

Much of our problems comes from a lack of sustained pressure in the offensive zone. When we do have that pressure, it comes from the forwards cycling down low, with minimal support from our defensemen. On better teams, you'd see players cycling and making quick passes to the point, and those passes would turn into shots on goal--preferably with the forwards already having converged on the net to create deflections, screens and so forth. The Jackets just can't make those plays happen with any regularity. They are lucky to get scoring chances off of the rush. They are lucky to even have a rush that involves more than one player.

Hitch might have said the Jackets need to play smarter, but I'm sure he believes that the only way to get to those scoring areas is to work harder. That was his answer to all of the team's problems for most of the season. Still, I do now recall that he started to acknowledge later on that there was indeed a lack of talent adding to the dilemma (a momentous occasion).

Either way, getting to those scoring areas isn't enough. It's how you get to them, and when and how you take a shot, that matters the most. The Jackets have poor play execution in the offensive zone. They are too predictable with their shots, no matter where they come from. Their movement also isn't creating enough open players for quality scoring chances to actually be created. One of the reasons why I've liked Wilson the past few games is because he's all over the place. More chaos would be a good thing.

Old
03-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Hitch doesn't make personnel decisions, Howson does. Hitch could have had the GM position if he'd wanted it - but he didn't want it. Hitch is smart enough to know that roster building isn't his strong suit in the business and sport of hockey.
Fair enough, then just give me a name of who does know (roster building) in this illustrative world of Jacketland and I'll follow you anywhere....

Old
03-29-2008, 12:28 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renion View Post
Well, we all know why those deflection goals don't happen often with the Jackets. Players aren't getting in front of the net often enough. When they do, the shots either aren't getting through traffic (Wilson aside, the past few games) or they are completely missing the net. Let's also not forget that those shots often don't happen to begin with.

Much of our problems comes from a lack of sustained pressure in the offensive zone. When we do have that pressure, it comes from the forwards cycling down low, with minimal support from our defensemen. On better teams, you'd see players cycling and making quick passes to the point, and those passes would turn into shots on goal--preferably with the forwards already having converged on the net to create deflections, screens and so forth. The Jackets just can't make those plays happen with any regularity. They are lucky to get scoring chances off of the rush. They are lucky to even have a rush that involves more than one player.

Hitch might have said the Jackets need to play smarter, but I'm sure he believes that the only way to get to those scoring areas is to work harder. That was his answer to all of the team's problems for most of the season. Still, I do now recall that he started to acknowledge later on that there was indeed a lack of talent adding to the dilemma (a momentous occasion).

Either way, getting to those scoring areas isn't enough. It's how you get to them, and when and how you take a shot, that matters the most. The Jackets have poor play execution in the offensive zone. They are too predictable with their shots, no matter where they come from. Their movement also isn't creating enough open players for quality scoring chances to actually be created. One of the reasons why I've liked Wilson the past few games is because he's all over the place. More chaos would be a good thing.
No, Hitch did not say players weren't working hard enough, Renion. He said they were making POOR DECISIONS AND SHOT SELECTIONS in the offensive zone. Nothing Hitch said tonight before OR after the game in any way contradicts what you've asserted in either of your posts.

Old
03-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Fair enough, then just give me a name of who does know (roster building) in this illustrative world of Jacketland and I'll follow you anywhere....
Howson says he talks with Hitch (and did so daily in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline) and listens to Hitch's input. I don't know what else you're looking to understand about who is in charge of personnel in Columbus.

Old
03-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Howson says he talks with Hitch (and did so daily in the weeks leading up to the trade deadline) and listens to Hitch's input. I don't know what else you're looking to understand about who is in charge of personnel in Columbus.
Awesome, so who do we play in the first round?

Old
03-29-2008, 01:28 AM
Pluckfur

Quote:
Eh, not impressed Robert ... too blahblahesque to be worthy of retort.

Old
03-29-2008, 01:32 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
lmfao, Pluck brought her "A" game tonight. I might as well sign off.

Timeless Winter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 01:43 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
lmfao, Pluck brought her "A" game tonight. I might as well sign off.
B game, sky is blue-no its black and things of that nature..

Old
03-29-2008, 02:38 AM
Renion

Quote:
No, Hitch did not say players weren't working hard enough, Renion. He said they were making POOR DECISIONS AND SHOT SELECTIONS in the offensive zone. Nothing Hitch said tonight before OR after the game in any way contradicts what you've asserted in either of your posts.
I wasn't trying to find contradictions. I did think Hitch was sounding shortsighted based on what had been reported, though. JF said Hitch said the players weren't going to the areas they needed to in order to score. JF asked who the coach was talking about. I responded by saying I didn't care who Hitch was talking about, because, to summarize, "going to the areas" only tells a quarter of the story, as even when the Jackets are going to those areas they are not creating scoring chances.

You took issue with my comment about Hitch thinking hard work solves all problems. I retracted the comment because I remembered feeling relieved, earlier this season, that he was finally starting to realize that hard work wasn't the final solution to the Jackets' woes. I am also glad that you quoted him talking about "poor decisions and shot selections," though, as that represents further progress on the coaching front.

Old
03-29-2008, 05:57 AM
jore

I was a bit surprised that Norrena got singled out after both Nashville games. He did let easy goals, but the team was shut out. I could understand blaming the goalie if we lost 2-1 and 3-2, but when it's 2-0 and 3-0 the goalie hasn't played any worse than the rest of the team.

jore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

People, we got what was advertised for this season. These are the same old Jackets that we have had for several years now.

We have people, out of neccesity, playing out of position. Guys like Chimmer, and Manny, and Peca.

I have no problem with Z being a playmaker. He has shown this year that he can be a scorer, or a playmaker. Problem is he is setting up Chimmer, who can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn most of the time. Maybe next year Z has someone to play with and he can do both scoring and assisting.

And, I have really been impressed with Brule recently. This guy has made some beautiful centering passes in recent games. Problem is, nobody is going to the front of the net to receive them.

Anyway, the answer to the thread question is everyone but Nash.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 07:12 AM
Prophecy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
People, we got what was advertised for this season. These are the same old Jackets that we have had for several years now.

We have people, out of neccesity, playing out of position. Guys like Chimmer, and Manny, and Peca.

I have no problem with Z being a playmaker. He has shown this year that he can be a scorer, or a playmaker. Problem is he is setting up Chimmer, who can't seem to hit the broad side of a barn most of the time. Maybe next year Z has someone to play with and he can do both scoring and assisting.

And, I have really been impressed with Brule recently. This guy has made some beautiful centering passes in recent games. Problem is, nobody is going to the front of the net to receive them.

Anyway, the answer to the thread question is everyone but Nash.
I'd say Chimera's hitting the broad side of a barn when one considers the following equation:

broad side of barn = geometric center of opposing goalie's chest

Prophecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 07:32 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Good retort Bob. It basically says what I believe... that until we make the playoffs EVERYONE, including Hitch and Howson, have something to prove.

Plenty of blame to go around... here's some for Hitch:

Hitch has said and done some things that I don't agree with.
He waffles for one thing. For example: he makes a big deal several times about how Z and Nasher can't play together. Then who does he pair against Nashville?

Second example: He talks openly about goalies needing confidence. The he smirks and says "no comment" about Freddy No's holding Nashville to 2 goals. That was bush league. And one of the goals was a clear deflection. Don't tell me he didn't know that. He knew. His video guys report everything to him during the game.

Example three: Coach complains about us having AHLers on the roster. But he repeatedly says that he lets Scott Howson make the personnel decisions. Does anybody really believe Hitch is THAT hands-off about personnel? And if he IS hands-off, then he's not as good a coach as some would have us believe. Man-up coach. Tell Scott and John H who you want (which you SHOULD have done last summer, last Fall and before the deadline. (Please don't insult my intelligence by saying Hitch doesn't make personnel decisions).

Example four: Vyborny's crappy crappy season. Coach protected him, made numerous excuses for him. Yet WHO DOES HE ALLOW TO BE TRADED? Fedorov who was having a good season with us. (Please again....do not insult my intelligence by saying Hitch doesn't have a say in personnel with Howson).

Example five: Brule and Brassard. Coach said Bru was better off playing in the AHL and yet allows him to stay up and continue to suck. Coach said they wouldn't play Brassard til he was ready, and that when he was up "he was up for good." Hello! Coach says "confidence" is an important factor in dealing with our young guys. But his moves with Bru and Brassard contradicted what he said.

Example six: Who else got sick and tired of Hitch saying "we're still in this!" Is there anybody up here who HONESTLY thought we were still in this 5 games ago when Hitch was still selling that kool-aid? I've been asking in posts for Hitch to breath more fire. Instead, Hitch has sounded like a church pastor.

Final example (though I could mention plenty others): Coach says "the minute you trade Shelley you're out looking for another guy like him." So he repeatedly scratches Shelley and let's Howson trade him without replacing him. Coach says "team toughness" is not about fighting. He talks a good game about toughness. But nobody who's watched the Jackets would ever accuse them of being tough. In fact, we're STILL soft and everyone in the league knows it.

We gave Hitch a pass all year because of his pedigree. So now he's had more than a season and several player acquisitions to prove himself. Yet his "defense first" approach has produced a horrible offensive output. Ok...I can hear his sycophants gearing up to defend him as if "Hitchcock" is a lock for the HOF. But last I looked, he was fired from Philly and hired by the lowly Blue Jackets who are once again NOT in the playoffs.

We are a mere 8 pts out of the playoffs. That's four games we should have won... but didn't because Hitch has been unable to solve the offensive puzzle.

JF CONCLUSION: Coach it is also you YOURSELF who has not put this team in a position to score.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote