HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN promoting playoff games

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-05-2004, 07:23 AM
  #1
gnardini1998
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: waiting for 45 more years?
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
ESPN promoting playoff games

There has been a lot of talk about how ESPN/ABC are handling their NHL games and esp. the playoffs. Many complaints about the scheduling and showing "stupid" shows rather than available playoff games. This was answered by people stating that it is a business and they show what they think will get them the best ratings. But here is a great example of how they DO NOT PROMOTE HOCKEY.
Their ads for the NBA playoffs are great; with a catchy tune and interesting videos (the sexy babe of course helps). What is their ad campaign for the NHL? Some warehouse full of TVs showing hockey and supposedly a foreman coming over the PA telling the workers that it is playoff time. How much could that have cost them to produce?
I have no interest in basketball but those ads almost have me hooked; I go around with the tune in my head. I cannot see how anyone with no interest in hockey would consider possibly watching a game based on the lame NHL ads.
And of course once again they are botching things up by having both Conference finals start at the same time on Saturday afternoon. NO SATURDAY NIGHT HOCKEY. :mad:

gnardini1998 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 07:33 AM
  #2
ExplosiveLEAFman
Registered User
 
ExplosiveLEAFman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,661
vCash: 500
I completely agree about the commercials. They are absolutely 100% useless.

ExplosiveLEAFman is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 09:08 AM
  #3
Sotnos
Registered User
 
Sotnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Not here
Posts: 10,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnardini1998
I have no interest in basketball but those ads almost have me hooked; I go around with the tune in my head.
Same thing happened to me too, the NBA ads are very well done and catchy.

Sadly enough, the ads they had on Sunshine for the first two rounds of Bolts games were more catchy than the stuff ESPN is showing. I'm not in advertising, but I'd use more shots of the game, fewer of the factory.

Sotnos is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 09:13 AM
  #4
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,229
vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnardini1998
And of course once again they are botching things up by having both Conference finals start at the same time on Saturday afternoon.
the schedule is out, and this is not the case. Game 1 out west is Sunday at 4

GKJ is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
  #5
rekrul
Registered User
 
rekrul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: bittersville,ca
Country: United States
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
couldn't agree more the kids in the house all dance when that tune comes on, we get that hockey inc nonsence???

anyone notice that the guys who do it are the black eyed peas who have that "hey Mama" song now getting play on MTV. ESPN gets an up and comming hip hop group for the NBA, Liz Phair for the freaking woments NCAA touney and we get....hockey inc?

what they can't scape up some bucks for maybe someone like sub41 to make some quick punk riff.

rekrul is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 10:29 AM
  #6
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnardini1998
How much could that have cost them to produce?
About the same amount. The NBA one was shot on a green screen, most likely in their own studio. The editing was the biggest, and most expensive part of the production. The NHL one was shot in the field, the shooting budget was almost certainly higher, with the post production budget almost certainly lower.

Oh and more importantly..... more people care about the NBA, so they're naturally going to spend more anyway. It doesn't matter what ESPN does, basketball is much, much more popular.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 10:47 AM
  #7
adurn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Don't forget ESPN probably had to pay Black Eyed Peas a retarded amount of money just to be in the commercial.

adurn is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 10:54 AM
  #8
Dr Love
Registered User
 
Dr Love's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 20,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by adurn
Don't forget ESPN probably had to pay Black Eyed Peas a retarded amount of money just to be in the commercial.
Not really. The cost for the rights is probably the main difference maker in budget comparison, but it wouldn't have been a "retarted amount of money." And like I said, they're going to spend more on the NBA because more people care about it. This isn't directed at you, but how about instead of blaming ESPN for hockey being not very popular, we realize that hockey just isn't as popular as we would like to think it is.

Dr Love is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 11:12 AM
  #9
Breck Av
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 931
vCash: 500
I think the retarded comment comes from the fact that the Black Eyed Peas remade their song "Let's Get Retarted" into "Let's Get It Started" for the NBA Playoffs. I doubt they changed all the lyrics for free. Plus the commercials also have Carlos Santana and (I think) George Gervin in there.

Yesterday on PTI they were commenting on how the NBA promos are more exciting than the actual NBA playoffs.

The NHL has a brilliant product during the playoffs, many people, non-hockey fans that I know included, think the NHL playoffs wipe the floor with the NBA counterpart. Of course everyone here knows that that's the case. The league and it's marketers just haven't found the right way to promote the game to non-hockey fans. It doesn't help when ESPN shows like Sportscenter and Around the Horn treat hockey like it's a joke.

Breck Av is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 11:50 AM
  #10
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Argentina
Posts: 23,129
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breck Av
I think the retarded comment comes from the fact that the Black Eyed Peas remade their song "Let's Get Retarted" into "Let's Get It Started" for the NBA Playoffs. I doubt they changed all the lyrics for free. Plus the commercials also have Carlos Santana and (I think) George Gervin in there.

Yesterday on PTI they were commenting on how the NBA promos are more exciting than the actual NBA playoffs.

The NHL has a brilliant product during the playoffs, many people, non-hockey fans that I know included, think the NHL playoffs wipe the floor with the NBA counterpart. Of course everyone here knows that that's the case. The league and it's marketers just haven't found the right way to promote the game to non-hockey fans. It doesn't help when ESPN shows like Sportscenter and Around the Horn treat hockey like it's a joke.
It couldn't be because of that blowwhole Woody Paige could it?...he brings alot of respectability to the sport with his columns...*tries to keep a straight face*

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 01:28 PM
  #11
a89mogilny89
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Section 114, Row 15
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to a89mogilny89 Send a message via AIM to a89mogilny89 Send a message via MSN to a89mogilny89 Send a message via Yahoo to a89mogilny89
Doesn't help either that despite entering the Conference Finals that the biggest story is a murder-for-hire scandal. It's all ESPN ever talks about the NHL... you know, that little 2 minute segment between the NBA Finals and more NBA Finals.

a89mogilny89 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 04:59 PM
  #12
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,455
vCash: 500
Anybody else think it's because ESPN is playing out the string on the NHL? They likely have very little interest in renewing the contract for next year, and it would just be throwing good money after the bad? The reason why I say this is probably half of my favorite commercials of all time were ESPN hockey commercials.

Beukeboom Fan is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 05:01 PM
  #13
gnardini1998
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: waiting for 45 more years?
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
the schedule is out, and this is not the case. Game 1 out west is Sunday at 4
You are right. I could swear that when I was watching nhl2nite at 12:00 midnight, they said that both games would be on ABC at 3 on Saturday. However, they are still putting the game on in the afternoon, instead of evening.

gnardini1998 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 05:05 PM
  #14
gnardini1998
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: waiting for 45 more years?
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Oh and more importantly..... more people care about the NBA, so they're naturally going to spend more anyway. It doesn't matter what ESPN does, basketball is much, much more popular.
But, that is my point. They claim to be trying to get more people to watch hockey, so why wouldn't they put more effort into the hockey ads. More people care about NBA, they are going to watch it anyway. ESPN should be trying to get some new people to at least peek in to a NHL game.
They put out dull ads that interest no one, so only the true fans watch; they then say they are showing less hockey because the ratings are low, but what did they do to try to interest people?

gnardini1998 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
  #15
gnardini1998
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: waiting for 45 more years?
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
it. This isn't directed at you, but how about instead of blaming ESPN for hockey being not very popular, we realize that hockey just isn't as popular as we would like to think it is.
C'mon any hockey person knows it isn't. But, for many years before and after the dreadful Sports Channel days, hockey was the main sport for ESPN in the winter; once they got the basketball contract they just "jilted" us.

gnardini1998 is offline  
Old
05-05-2004, 05:11 PM
  #16
gnardini1998
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: waiting for 45 more years?
Posts: 209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to gnardini1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan
Anybody else think it's because ESPN is playing out the string on the NHL? They likely have very little interest in renewing the contract for next year, and it would just be throwing good money after the bad? The reason why I say this is probably half of my favorite commercials of all time were ESPN hockey commercials.

My friend, you hit it right on the nose. And yes, I remember those hockey commercials of old. That might be why I am wondering about this year's theme or should I say lack of theme. Remeber the one where the detectives were on the case. That was one strange but fascinating ad campaign.

gnardini1998 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.