HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Brad Richards debacle part 3

Old
03-26-2008, 07:35 AM
timw33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Richards is averaging a point a game in Dallas...and they are still 3-7 in their last 10 games.

Maybe it would have been different for us. We certainly would have seen fewer of these minor league test runs had we been going all in. But, there's no guarantees in life, it could have been the same story as in Dallas and then people would really have out the pitchforks if we had given up some prospect that everyone is in love with.

That's the thing, there's always some amount of risk. Same as there would have been in the UFA market last year (or will be this year). But doing something to try and get better is usually better than doing nothing.

To be fair, he had 5 of those 9 points in 1 game.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 08:06 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Why are we reliving this Richards thing again? There are so many "what ifs" to this season. Richards is only one of em.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 08:40 AM
BluejacketNut

I prefer to go back to the "what if" SH actually backfilled the 2 holes he created by trading F/F with NHL players, even though he tries to pull the "well we still believe we're in it" BS. Unfortunately we ended up only being the sellers instead of possibly the sellers AND BUYERS that was mentioned.

I decided to renew this year in good faith that this organization will do whatever they need to do to make this team a successful playoff contender next year and the following years.....im excited to see what SH plans on doing this offseason. Just as a FYI though SH, next years renewal depends on next years performance, better get to work pretty soon.

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:12 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
I prefer to go back to the "what if" SH actually backfilled the 2 holes he created by trading F/F with NHL players, even though he tries to pull the "well we still believe we're in it" BS. Unfortunately we ended up only being the sellers instead of possibly the sellers AND BUYERS that was mentioned.

I decided to renew this year in good faith that this organization will do whatever they need to do to make this team a successful playoff contender next year and the following years.....im excited to see what SH plans on doing this offseason. Just as a FYI though SH, next years renewal depends on next years performance, better get to work pretty soon.

Its been said many times, there was no plan contingent upon not getting richards, Once Richards was out of the picture, there was no point in hanging on to Fedorov for a playoff push that wasn't happening and No sense in giving Foote his blood money to stick around any longer.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:23 AM
BluejacketNut

And ive said this many times, my point is that nothing was filled from those 2 departures. I understand why they were traded and im fine with that, but as far as I was concerned, there was still 2 more months left in THIS season, and nothing was done to replace those holes. This team is no where close to being able to lose a Foote and Fedorov and not replace them...regardless whether you like them or not personally, they were depth players and we didnt backfill those needs, and now you look at our roster and its an absolute joke of an NHL team to ice, it IS an AHL team right now.

But as you said, we werent going to make the playoffs....what would you say to SH's comments that he fully felt they could still make the playoffs? To me, its BS spin, so much for honesty out of our GM

BluejacketNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

What they got for Foote was outstanding, imho.

What they got for Feds was baffling, imho.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:35 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
What they got for Foote was outstanding, imho.

What they got for Feds was baffling, imho.
What they got for Foote was not surprising....Colorado loves him and didn't want to let him go to begin with. Also, they may have been tampering an Howson was able to get more out of them to deter him from reporting it.

I agree about Feds...absolutely baffling.....

Old
03-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Robert
BOB

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
Its been said many times, there was no plan contingent upon not getting richards, Once Richards was out of the picture, there was no point in hanging on to Fedorov for a playoff push that wasn't happening and No sense in giving Foote his blood money to stick around any longer.
Agreed. Had we gotton Richards it's quite possible we would have been close enough to the 8th seed that F&F would have been retained. But on the other hand it's quite possible the end was sealed when Shelley was traded, his locker room significance cannot be denied.

All in all, none of the moves either made or planned by Howson since the ASB helped our playoff campaign.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 10:56 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

we got what we got for Feds because Howson wasn't ready to deal him fully until the deal for Richards fell through, when other teams saw that, they knew they didn't have to offer much because Howson was moving Feds.

Old
03-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Casework

Quote:
Originally Posted by contingent_23 View Post
we got what we got for Feds because Howson wasn't ready to deal him fully until the deal for Richards fell through, when other teams saw that, they knew they didn't have to offer much because Howson was moving Feds.
That's not true. Go back and read Howson's comments post trade deadline. I believe the video on Blue Jackets TV has it as well - Fedorov was being traded no matter what and that was a known fact for a long time. A handful of teams were interested, but only 2-3 made serious offers. He went with Washington because Ruth was a guy he liked since the Draft.

I'm not justifying the trade, just sayin' it wasn't the result of Howson scrambling to do something.

I still miss Brad.

Casework is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluejacketNut View Post
And ive said this many times, my point is that nothing was filled from those 2 departures. I understand why they were traded and im fine with that, but as far as I was concerned, there was still 2 more months left in THIS season, and nothing was done to replace those holes. This team is no where close to being able to lose a Foote and Fedorov and not replace them...regardless whether you like them or not personally, they were depth players and we didnt backfill those needs, and now you look at our roster and its an absolute joke of an NHL team to ice, it IS an AHL team right now.
That's because the only team that has a surplus of overpaid aging players who contribute nothing on the ice is Toronto.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 09:18 AM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
Well this organization just set itself back another 3 years, those picks from Colorado and Teddy Ruth will not help next year, or the year after. The failure to get a #1 center for Nash is glaring and nobody can ignore that.
If Nash isn't satisfied in the next 2 years, he'll be in another jersey.
I agree and that is my biggest fear. I can't believe Nash is money motivated. He clearly makes enough and will make lots more no matter where he goes. I have to believe he will reach a point where it will be about championships, and if he doesn't believe he can win one here, he will go where he believes he can get a cup.

Imagine Nash a Canadien, a Duck or a Red Wing...that makes my stomach hurt.

PLEASE Mr. Mac, free up some cash to get talent around this guy.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 12:24 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
Imagine Nash a Canadien, a Duck or a Red Wing...that makes my stomach hurt.

PLEASE Mr. Mac, free up some cash to get talent around this guy.
Or a Leaf....

Playoffs are a absolute must next season, for the sake of resigning Nash, who will be a FA at the end of the 09-10 season. They have to at least make the playoffs next season and at least get out of the first round in 09-10 or, in my opinion, Nash isn't going to want to hang around.

Old
03-29-2008, 12:48 PM
sinbin

What if's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Why are we reliving this Richards thing again? There are so many "what ifs" to this season. Richards is only one of em.
I agree.

What if we all had something to talk about instead of the Brad Richards thing that died a month ago.

What if we had more than one tough guys on our team

What if we had some real leadership

The real deal is going to happen n the off desonwith free agents and at the draft table. The season is not over and all people can post about is what if.

Brad Richards is not a blue jacket. I repeat Brad Richards is not a blue jacket.

sinbin is offline   Reply With Quote