HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Kaspars Daugavins

Old
03-29-2008, 11:50 AM
droller*

vCash: 500
Kaspars Daugavins

I see that Kaspars completely ripped up the OHL this season, and on an average team at best. 40G 34A for 74 pts in 62 games. Next closest guy on his team had 49 points.

Lots of OHL fans post on this board. Do you see this guy playing in the NHL within the next 3 years? Does he have the ability/assets to play a top 6 role professionally?

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 12:55 PM
habs1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post
I see that Kaspars completely ripped up the OHL this season, and on an average team at best. 40G 34A for 74 pts in 62 games. Next closest guy on his team had 49 points.

Lots of OHL fans post on this board. Do you see this guy playing in the NHL within the next 3 years? Does he have the ability/assets to play a top 6 role professionally?
I've heard a lot of good things about him. He would be in the AHL this season if Melnick wasn't the Missisauga's owner. He certainly has the talent to be a top 6. May be considered as the steal of the draft. He's relatively small (5'11) but he can play and score!

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by droller View Post

I made some posts last year about Daugavins, since I really saw the Majors a lot that year. Not as much this year, but I think he basically only made the bare-minimum-expected steps forward in his play. I didn't find him to be dominant or "ripping up" the OHL in the games I saw, even though he was of course the best player on his team. Optimistically I would have hoped for him to have a better final year than he did if he was going to break out of the 50/50 NHL hopeful category that I had him in.

Since I didn't observe him to have that kind of breakout, I'd say he's still basically a hit or miss guy. He'll need to play quicker, stronger, more consistently as a pro, same as with oodles of other talented-but-not-dominant guys in the OHL. It all basically comes down to how he handles the next steps. He has the basic skills that sure, you could imagine him becoming a top-6 guy some time in the future. Provided he does work hard and develop in the minors first. I don't think I'd hold out a lot of hope for the upper ends of that "top-6" billing, however. I'd sort of expect him to be one of those 20-goal/50-pt kind of offensive journeymen if he did get to the NHL. But of course one never knows. I sure hope he proves me wrong, since he was one of my favourite OHL players last year and a guy I have in my keeper league.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Brock

This is what I wrote on the Sens board a couple weeks ago about him...

.................................................. .................................................. ..........

I've seen Kaspars play a decent amount this year, as well as last year., so I've got a pretty good impression of the type of player he is.

At the beginning of the season. He was real sluggish. I think he took his demotion to heart and you could see it in his game. He wasn't skating hard, looked lazy and uninspired the first few times I saw him.

The times since though, he's been a different player. Back to being the Kaspars of old, especially turning it on lately.

In a nutshell, Kaspars is a speedy, chippy winger. He's a very fast skater, and is pretty good on the forecheck. He will work the cycle and he will pay the price to make a play infront of the net. But he isn't a powerforward and he doesn't drive hard to the net with the puck per say. He's more of a finesse player who pays the price in traffic. He also isn't one to lay out big body checks either. He is chippy and will play a bit of a pest role, but he isn't really a physical player. He will fight to stick up for his teammates though, fighting Stefan Legein earlier this season and holding his own. His bread and butter are his hands and his hockey sense. He goes to the right spots on the ice, is an above average playmaker and always seems to find himself in the right spot for an open goal. He's very elusive tends to find himself open a fair amount. He has good one on one moves as well, although he doesn't use them much, usually settling for a dump and chase. He also is a big part of St Mike's PK, where he does a pretty good job. He could probably develop into a pretty good penalty killer at the next level.

The one thing with Kaspars, is that I'm very interested to see how he plays with better and more skilled teammates. He almost seems reserved in his play sometimes. St. Mikes isn't the most offensively talented team, as evidenced by the fact that Kaspars leads the team in goals by 17, and points by 25. He's also one of the few players on the team at +. I think that he's got more potential than what you are seing from him currently. I think that when he starts playing with better players and gains confidence with them, you could see bigger and better things from him.

I struggle to think of a solid player comparison for him. The one I ended up settling on while talking to Sean was Ray Ferraro.

Last edited by Brock: 03-29-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 01:31 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
I think he was a good selection by the Sens

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Canuck71

I would consider him a steal for the Sens since they drafted him at #91 overall, he could have went much higher.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote