HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending

Old
03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 500
Masons future still depends on Ellis AND the market for goalies this summer. If ellis flops significantly these last 5 games that has to raise questions either about his durability or his consistency in the role of a starter. Personally with all of his physical issues i dont think there is any way he is ever a 60+ game a season player.

If poile isnt certain tht Ellis can carry the mail for a full year, or that rinne will be ready to be a starter by next year, he may well keep Mason and see if he can rehab his head and get back to his former self. the other option is to sign a vet goaltender (like kolzig) this summer, but you gotta figure before he can do that he has to unload mason... and as others have said if LA cant unloadcloutier and Tampa cant dump Denis why do you would we be able to get someone to relieve us of Mason? I thin that only happens if we throw in a prospect or a high draft pick or if by some chance a team that might need a goalie has an overpriced, underperforming winger still under contract next year.

We should remember that next year is going to be something of a make or break season for the team, since this year counted as year one of the new deal and if things go badly enough the new guys can sell after year 3(not 5). So i dont look for poile to try to finesse things in goal.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Brodeur

Just kicking around an idea in my head, how would you feel about trading de Vries/Mason/Franson for Dallas' first round pick? Frees up 5.5 million next season towards keeping Weber/Suter, with the downside of trading Franson at a discount. I realize that you already have three picks in the top ~32, so there might be very little desire to add one more.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2008, 11:47 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

We don't need to free up any money, we're barely at the floor now and new owners seem to be more willing to spend.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
...(like kolzig) ....
Wow that would be awesome.

03-28-2008, 12:31 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Which raises several questions, hopefully someone could answer:

Why would Korn describe a mechanical issue as being snakebit? He's clearly treats goaltending as a science and I believe is excellent at it. He knows there is a problem, right?
Yeah he knows there is a problem. My guess at answering your question would be that he is referring to the fact Mason will get his mechanics going for a game but he'll be thinking to much then the next game he starts reading and reacting but loses his mechanics. It's like he can chew gum and walk at the same time.

Quote:
What is the mechanical issue on the 5 hole? I'm far from an expert but it seems like he has a hitch in his motion to both drop to the ice and close the legs-- or to be more precise, it seems like he has divided the two into distinct steps, so he drops then closes whereas other goalies seem to be closing as they drop. It also seems like he doesn't get his lower legs (below the knees) positioned correctly so if the puck gets into there it often bounces around and through. Or is it just slow reaction time? Something else?
I would have to disagree with P303G here a little. Mason has a hard time keeping his stick on the ice to cover the hole. And since his problems have compounded he's having a hard time keeping his pads together while down on the ice. Couple that with the stick coming up and there's bound to be problems.

Quote:
Was his lateral movement this bad last year? I understand it isn't world class but it wasn't obviously a problem on a consistent basis.
His lack of lateral movement killed us in the first series against the Sharks and the effectiveness of the wrap around and cross ice pass is obviously well known by other teams. Any time that there is a cross ice pass that results in a quick shot that is on net it is almost guaranteed to be in the net. This was something that was very noticeable in our first game against the Sharks last year with Vokoun in net. San Jose tried this play several times to start the game but couldn't beat Vokoun where as Mason couldn't stop any of them in the playoffs.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 07:45 AM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
I would have to disagree with P303G here a little. Mason has a hard time keeping his stick on the ice to cover the hole. And since his problems have compounded he's having a hard time keeping his pads together while down on the ice. Couple that with the stick coming up and there's bound to be problems.
i do have to agree with you here fangs, he's having stick placement problems for sure. for some reason he's been prone to raising the stick the split second he goes to drop to the butterfly, and it's cost him and us many times this year. coupled with leading with the stick when he's moving side to side..

mitch korn the other night had a great line about mason, said "we're a little confused right now as to how a 3" puck keeps going thru a 2" hole so often"

Pred303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2008, 04:18 PM
Radulov for Czar*

a perfect example of this would be this:

Radulov for Czar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 04:56 PM
Comely

Heres an interestin proposal for Nashville fans Mason for Emery, not the reason you would do this is because although the both have 2 years left at 3 mil Emery can be bought out for only 1/3 of his contract because of his Age so 2 mil which you can spread out four upto 4 years. This clears up space for you to sign Ellis and Ottawa gets a goalie who is about the same as Emery (one year removed from a great season) but one who is not locker room cancer.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 05:34 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
Heres an interestin proposal for Nashville fans Mason for Emery, not the reason you would do this is because although the both have 2 years left at 3 mil Emery can be bought out for only 1/3 of his contract because of his Age so 2 mil which you can spread out four upto 4 years. This clears up space for you to sign Ellis and Ottawa gets a goalie who is about the same as Emery (one year removed from a great season) but one who is not locker room cancer.
Straight up trade or would someone else have to throw something in on the deal?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Comely

Im thinking straight up or low draft picks like a 3rd thrown in likely from Ottawa since they are getting an actual player.

Comely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Pred303

it is pretty amazing how close ellis's numbers are right now to where mason's numbers were last year..

06-07 mason... 24-11-4, 2.38 gaa, .925 save percentage, 2341 minutes, 1244 shots, 93 goals allowed
07-08 ellis....... 22-10-2, 2.35 gaa, .925 save percentage, 2098 minutes, 1075 shots, 81 goals allowed

if ellis plays all 60 minutes of each of the last 4, he would finish with the almost identical the number of minutes played (2338 vs mason's 2341).. slightly fewer shots (probably about 50 less than mason last year), and hopefully slightly fewer goals (but very close).

people might make a valid argument that he's faced tougher opponents on average than mason did, which i think is true overall.. but one could also argue the defense in front of him is a year older and maybe slightly improved in some aspects (specifically number of shots allowed), in that we have cut down on the total number of shots by about 1-2 a game which also affects goalie stats slightly..

but still the numbers are going to wind up remarkably similiar from mason last year to ellis this year

Pred303 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2008, 06:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comely View Post
Im thinking straight up or low draft picks like a 3rd thrown in likely from Ottawa since they are getting an actual player.
Very tempting

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 12:26 AM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

hey guys, any idea who is going to be in net tomorrow?
ccheerss

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 12:49 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
hey guys, any idea who is going to be in net tomorrow?
ccheerss
take a guess

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Portable Mink
Go Walker!

the guy who didnt practise today

Portable Mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2008, 01:11 AM
nine_inch_fang

Or the guy that's let in two goals in the last four games.

Old
04-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez_the_Killer View Post
the guy who didnt practise today
yeah ... the guy who has a problem keeping the weight on

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 09:19 AM
RollingPredFan

Ok, now what?

I would start Ellis again and hope he has it.

Offseason I have no clue. I guess we can wait and see how it plays out.

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 10:38 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I know that the temptation to play Mason, but I think you have to look at body of work over the whole season. Ellis has been the more consistent goalie, and has played at a higher level. I worry that Trotz is going to believe Mason to be the "hot hand" and re-insert him. I'd like to see Ellis back in to start another hot streak.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Steelhead16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingPredFan View Post
Ok, now what?

I would start Ellis again and hope he has it.

Offseason I have no clue. I guess we can wait and see how it plays out.

No brainer to start Ellis again. I've watched pretty closely this year and he hasn't had back to back bad games that I can remember. I watched him show up a few years back from the AHL with his ECHL team down 3-0 in a best of 7. He swept 4 straight and went on to win the Kelly cup. He's clutch. Goalies are a different breed and they all have different things that push their buttons. When you guys have needed a big game this year he has stepped up way more often than not and delivered. Same can't be said for Mason. Last time I checked these next 2 games would qualify as BIG.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
No brainer to start Ellis again. I've watched pretty closely this year and he hasn't had back to back bad games that I can remember. I watched him show up a few years back from the AHL with his ECHL team down 3-0 in a best of 7. He swept 4 straight and went on to win the Kelly cup. He's clutch. Goalies are a different breed and they all have different things that push their buttons. When you guys have needed a big game this year he has stepped up way more often than not and delivered. Same can't be said for Mason. Last time I checked these next 2 games would qualify as BIG.
March 18 + 20, although some could argue Trotz was crazy for pulling him after only the 2nd goal

I wouldn't say its a no brainer at all. Is Ellis physically able to start 2 back to back games? Which game would we rather Ellis start in - St Louis or @Chicago?

But I agree that Ellis is clutch, but the weight loss issue concerns me

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2008, 09:29 PM
braindead

I think Trotz has completely lost faith in Mason and there is no way he starts. I don't expect Trotz to be fooled by the grand total of 10 shots, including the misfire by Boyes that looked like a good save at game's end.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2008, 12:33 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I think he will go with Ellis. The last time Ellis was pulled was at home vs Detroit. Then we all know how his next 4 games went. And Mason did make all his saves and they were important saves for sure, but I think we go back with Ellis.

Hopefully the team won't come out flat giving up multiple odd man rushes in the first few minutes and Ellis will be able to settle in and have a good game.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Felix29

Spoke with Dan Ellis yesterday at the USHL Finals in Omaha. He was there with Ortmeyer as "dignataries" for the Omaha Lancers. Anyway, Ellis said he hopes to get a long-term deal done with Nashville. He really didn't sound too confident that that was going to happen. I think he'll be playing elsewhere. I'm a big fan of Ellis', but it doesn't make sense to sign a guy long-term if they're as high on Rinne as it sounds.

Felix29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2008, 10:16 PM
nine_inch_fang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix29 View Post
Spoke with Dan Ellis yesterday at the USHL Finals in Omaha. He was there with Ortmeyer as "dignataries" for the Omaha Lancers. Anyway, Ellis said he hopes to get a long-term deal done with Nashville. He really didn't sound too confident that that was going to happen. I think he'll be playing elsewhere. I'm a big fan of Ellis', but it doesn't make sense to sign a guy long-term if they're as high on Rinne as it sounds.
Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

This is why some don't think Ellis will be here next year. You know he wants to cash in after the playoff run that he had but the Preds don't want that kind of salary tied up in yet another backup goalie if he doesn't work out. Coupled with the fact that management wants Rinne finishing next year by forcing his way into the starters job.