HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrik Laine Part VI: Help! He's Being Repressed!

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Narow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinator View Post
The line scored a lot, but also gave up a lot. Pretty sure Maurice then put Laine and Ehlers with Little to help them work more on their defensive game, as I think I remember that's when he made his "Little is the perfect center for them" comment. And that line did very well together at first.

So I guess it was a fair reason? I don't remember how well Wheelers line was doing when Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine were together, so I guess that could have also had an effect if they weren't scoring enough. I know at the time, I would have preferred to keep them together, he parted them too quickly.

My guess is that Maurice only tolerated the chances the line gave up, because they were so dangerous and effective on the counter. As soon as the offense dried up for a couple games he decided to separate them. Or it might have honestly just been one really bad game they had if I remember correctly.
I just think they should do

Home
Laine-scheif-ehlers
Perrault-little-wheeler

Away
Ehlers-scheif-wheeler
Laine-little-perrault

This would force opposition to focus on wheeler and scheifele away while esl can wreck havock with favourable matching at home. I do think this would improve teams chances to win game... no real reason just a hunch.

Likewise id like to see laine and wheeler play together. Best possesion player + laine cant be bad right?

Anyways for the 2016-17 season the most effective combos were laine+scheif and little+wheeler.

Both had better GF% than wheeler+ scheif or laine+little

Obviously that was just one season tho

I hope jets manage ayleast 50 wins.... their worst enemy is them not showing up with a consistent compete level...not what line combination we saw.

Old
06-13-2017, 05:49 PM
D1G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narow View Post

Home
Laine-scheif-ehlers
Perrault-little-wheeler

Away
Ehlers-scheif-wheeler
Laine-little-perrault

This would force opposition to focus on wheeler and scheifele away while esl can wreck havock with favourable matching at home. I do think this would improve teams chances to win game... no real reason just a hunch.

Likewise id like to see laine and wheeler play together. Best possesion player + laine cant be bad right?

Anyways for the 2016-17 season the most effective combos were laine+scheif and little+wheeler.

I hope jets manage ayleast 50 wins.... their worst enemy is them not showing up with a consistent compete level...not what line combination we saw.
50 wins might be pushing it no? To me that would mean the powerplay, penalty killing. Penalties taken. Goaltending and all around defensive play will need to improve dramatically.

Old
06-13-2017, 09:23 PM
Festinator

Quote:

Home
Laine-scheif-ehlers
Perrault-little-wheeler

Away
Ehlers-scheif-wheeler
Laine-little-perrault

To be fair, the compete level was never really the problem with the jets. They weren't a team that would give up easily. Just too many penalties, poor defensive systems and poor goaltending.

Old
06-14-2017, 12:05 AM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Quote:
To be fair, the compete level was never really the problem with the jets. They weren't a team that would give up easily. Just too many penalties, poor defensive systems and poor goaltending.
Hmh? What i saw last season was the lack of compete level. There were like 10-15 games where they came out of the gates looking like they'd already lost. I understand if you wiped those from your memory...they were pretty terrible games.

Old
06-14-2017, 01:00 AM
Festinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambokala View Post
Hmh? What i saw last season was the lack of compete level. There were like 10-15 games where they came out of the gates looking like they'd already lost. I understand if you wiped those from your memory...they were pretty terrible games.
Oh i know they looked terrible in some games haha, I just don't think they were terrible because they weren't trying (except maybe buff on some occasions). But character guys like Wheeler and Scheifele who are always busting their ***** aren't gonna let other teammates take the night off.

Old
06-14-2017, 03:34 AM
Board Bard
Dane-O-Mite

Quote:
Oh i know they looked terrible in some games haha, I just don't think they were terrible because they weren't trying (except maybe buff on some occasions). But character guys like Wheeler and Scheifele who are always busting their ***** aren't gonna let other teammates take the night off.
Scheifele took some games off last season, so no, he isn't always busting his ass. If half of the team, including some of the captains, feel like taking the day off, there's precious little anyone can do about it but boo from the stands.

Old
06-14-2017, 06:49 AM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1G View Post
50 wins might be pushing it no? To me that would mean the powerplay, penalty killing. Penalties taken. Goaltending and all around defensive play will need to improve dramatically.
No, i think they are capable of it...but alooot of things got to go right for that to happen. And ofcourse a good starter goalie is needed. But you are right all those things need to improve and they can. Keep in mind how injured the jets were and still they managed 40 wins, due to that streak at the end but still.

Quote:
I dont know, i couod tell when they showed up to play or not.some games i switched to watch something else as i could see it would be "one of those nights" again.

On the other side of the spectrum when things were clicking you saw that they were unbeatable..

Problen is they never stayed on that side for more than one game in a row...

A good example of this is how they win against blackhawks one game and the next lose out against avalanche... to me that seems to be the effort level ia not 100% from game to game, i do let it slide a bit due to all the injuries so main players were burnt out a bit this season but if it looks like that next season with a healthy team i think it is time for a coach change...the jets got to do the best they can with this core, average year in year out is not accepted. Playoffs is the aim next season i would hope and in sure in not alone in this... and this team could make it.

Atleast a playoffs spot next season should be attainable...right?

Old
06-14-2017, 06:58 AM
ijuka

Quote:
Um, what? Were we watching the same games? Scheifele especially absolutely took nights off, relatively frequently, even.

Old
06-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Goldeneye
Fire Maurice

Quote:
I think every team have games like that. Great teams still manage to win some of those, though. For instance, Hawks played like **** for many games and then they turned it on for 1 period to win it. Key to that is not to give up too many before you get yourself into the game.

To me the biggest problem of this past year was the lack of solid defensive structure. As soon as they worked hard to win a couple of games and gained confidence, some other good team would come in, often needing to bounce back from a loss or two, and looking at the Jets and saying these guys are playing well, it's going to be a challenge. And when they turned it on, the Jets just couldn't keep the puck out.

When teams get into a roll, they don't necessarily play desperate hockey all the time. It's the solid system, confidence and being opportunistic that wins them games (most of the time). You end up weathering a lot of storms when other teams try to throw everything at you - something the Jets just couldn't do. Taking as long as they did to win 3 in a row is what im talking about. I hope having a healthy Myers and Hellebuyck hopefully having a good summer + the experience of this season improving this aspect for next year. But honestly, im pessimistic until i see Maurice come up with something new.

About that Laine article; it's really impressive to see how well he's informed of all things he needs to do moving forward, and the adversity and challenges he's going to face. And the attitude he has towards all that is just awesome to see.

Old
06-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Rambokala

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blunder View Post
I think every team have games like that. Great teams still manage to win some of those, though. For instance, Hawks played like **** for many games and then they turned it on for 1 period to win it. Key to that is not to give up too many before you get yourself into the game.
Maybe. I follow many other teams (Granted, not as much as i follow the Jets), and the way Jets sucked sometimes was pretty unique...

Old
06-14-2017, 12:14 PM
Aggie204

Just finished watching all 36 goals from last season, is hockey season here yet?

Old
06-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Narow

Quote:
Maybe. I follow many other teams (Granted, not as much as i follow the Jets), and the way Jets sucked sometimes was pretty unique...
Seemed as if it was every third game they would lay an egg.

Just me?

New years eve game against islanders was the most dissapointing game of the season for me.

Old
06-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Narow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie204 View Post
Just finished watching all 36 goals from last season, is hockey season here yet?
What do you think about this one ?

Youngest guy in the nhl..

Old
06-14-2017, 05:47 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

Quote:
I remember those games because I tend to be in attendance at them. One doesn't forget wasting over $300.

Old
06-14-2017, 08:11 PM
JetsUK

Quote:
There's definitely something special about the JetSuck. It's like the other team had access to some 1940s supervillain ray that made the Jets forget the basics of hockey and splash around the D-zone while their opponents teed up and scored enough goals to chase whichever poor sap was in net that night. And the ray affected all of them, so they all sucked just about equally. Then, 2 games later, they were worldbeaters.

They need a better coach, or better anti-suck technology, IMO.

Old
06-16-2017, 02:36 PM
Couchcaptain

Less than 45 goals next season would be a huge disappointment. To me, him not winning Rocket next season already would also be a huge disappointment.
I really hope he will do both, 45+ and Rocket.

Old
06-16-2017, 02:49 PM
DashingDane

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couchcaptain View Post
Less than 45 goals next season would be a huge disappointment. To me, him not winning Rocket next season already would also be a huge disappointment.
I really hope he will do both, 45+ and Rocket.
I would absolutely love it if you are right but I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment if winning a Rocket is the only success criteria

I think he will improve his overall game by a lot and get more points than this season. So overall have another fantastic season...

Old
06-16-2017, 02:58 PM
D1G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDane View Post
I would absolutely love it if you are right but I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment if winning a Rocket is the only success criteria

I think he will improve his overall game by a lot and get more points than this season. So overall have another fantastic season...
He could of won the rocket last year with proper usage. If he is the running next year I would be happy

Old
06-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
I have less lofty goals for Patrik. I hope he can stay healthy for all 82 games. The rest will take care of itself. I'm not fixated on numbers.

Old
06-16-2017, 04:22 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
I have less lofty goals for Patrik. I hope he can stay healthy for all 82 games. The rest will take care of itself. I'm not fixated on numbers.
Actually...

I just want him to show that the end of the season where he drastically upped his shot metrics wasn't just because of Perreault. In essence, those number while he's playing with Ehlers and Scheifele would be optimal IMO.

Old
06-16-2017, 04:44 PM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Seemed as if it was every third game they would lay an egg.

Just me?

New years eve game against islanders was the most dissapointing game of the season for me.
I was at the Detroit and Rangers games.
We absolutely dominated the first period then proceeded to lose in stunning fashion as if it were 2 separate games.
Others adjusted to our style of play.
Maurice often seems unable to adjust mid game.
Some games like the Avs, Islanders and Buffalo there was zero effort.

Old
06-16-2017, 04:59 PM
vpenner27

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie204 View Post
My thoughts exactly

Old
06-20-2017, 07:58 PM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300

Old
06-20-2017, 09:19 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
I was at the Detroit and Rangers games.
We absolutely dominated the first period then proceeded to lose in stunning fashion as if it were 2 separate games.
Others adjusted to our style of play.
Maurice often seems unable to adjust mid game.
Some games like the Avs, Islanders and Buffalo there was zero effort.
He's pretty bad at making them in between the first and second period as we'd often play a good first Ethan proceed to get scorched in the 2nd period. Some games we where able to adapt and come out and dictate the third (I attribute this more to Maurice taking the reigns off). I find that when we are able to play to are strengths like when we are chasing games very few teams can hang with us. The problem is Maurice try to have us play conservative low event hockey unless the team is losing.

He needs to let the team play high event hockey next season to get the most out of it imo.

Old
06-21-2017, 04:24 AM
Festinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Our future 50 goal scorer, he looks gorgeous wow <3 almost as beautiful as Wheeler

Closed Thread