HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Oh, the irony

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

vCash: 500
Oh, the irony

I thought I'd start a thread for all the ironic things that happened this season. Well, here she goes:

-At the start of the season, when asked who was most untouchable, the biggest names mentioned were Jagr, Francis, Yzerman, Sakic and probably Modano. Jagr mianly for comtract reasons, and the others for their skill and sentiment towards the team. With Yzerman and Sakic, there was no breath of movement, but as for the other three, well, Modano could've been traded earlier had it not been for Dallas' mid-season rebound, and both Jagr and Francis were traded.

-Teemu Selanne took a pay cut to leave San Jose for Colorado, for the chance to win the cup. Selanne's Avalanche were just eliminated by the Sharks, and all the while Selanne made no difference.

-Paul Kariya also took a pay cut, a very large one, to play for Colorado and have a shot at the cup. While Anaheim didn't make playoffs, Kariya didn't manage to score more points than any of the Ducks' top three in the regular reason, and he played just one more playoff game than any Duck.

-The last five Adams winners were Jacques Martin, Joel Quenville, Bill Barber, Bobby Francis, and Jacques Lemaire. Martin, Quenville, Barber, and Francis are unemployed at the moment, and Lemaire could potentially be fired if they don't rebound next season.

Feel more than free to add your own.

Old
05-04-2004, 11:50 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
I think perhaps the greatest is just about to occur. San Jose lets Kiprusoff go for a 2nd rounder, thinking they got a good return for the way he performed for them. Out of nowhere Kipper turns into a Vezina candidate and helps the Flames to their first playoff berth in over 10 years.

THEN they meet up in the conference finals..doesn't get any better

Old
05-04-2004, 11:51 PM
X8oD

Last years Conference Finals in the west was Between Anaheim and Minnesota

They did not make the play-offs this year. Replaced by Calgary and San Jose.

Calgary and San Jose now face off in the west Finals.

6 of the 8 teams stayed the same, but in the end it comes down to those 2 spots.

Old
05-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Yep, two years in a row now that the Western Conference Finalists failed to make the playoffs the season before.

Old
05-04-2004, 11:55 PM
Prince Mercury

I think it's ironic that the Leafs yet again lost to the Flyers, but not before knocking out yet another reasonable shot for Ottawa to take at the cup.

Oh no wait, that's not ironic, that's just aggrivating. (Leafs take the cup in '05)

Old
05-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
I think perhaps the greatest is just about to occur. San Jose lets Kiprusoff go for a 2nd rounder, thinking they got a good return for the way he performed for them. Out of nowhere Kipper turns into a Vezina candidate and helps the Flames to their first playoff berth in over 10 years.

THEN they meet up in the conference finals..doesn't get any better
Uh, let's not forget the Darryl Sutter connection

Old
05-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Hellsempire

This is also the first time that two expansion teams have ever made the Conference Finals in their franchise history. Tampa Bay and San Jose are first timers...

This is also the first time in 10 years that the Devils, Avs and Redwings are not in the Conference Finals...

Old
05-05-2004, 12:29 AM
Prince Mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsempire
This is also the first time in 10 years that the Devils, Avs and Redwings are not in the Conference Finals...
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish the Wings were in there (except not at the expense of Calgary).

Old
05-05-2004, 01:03 AM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
Last years Conference Finals in the west was Between Anaheim and Minnesota

They did not make the play-offs this year. Replaced by Calgary and San Jose.

Calgary and San Jose now face off in the west Finals.

6 of the 8 teams stayed the same, but in the end it comes down to those 2 spots.
Six out of eight teams did not stay the same. Five out of eight did. In were Calgary, San Jose, and Nashville. Out were Anaheim, Minnesota, and Edmonton.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

This year the conference final involved Anaheim, Minnesota, New Jersey, and Ottawa. None of those teams made it to the second round. The year before, Carolina, Toronto, Detroit, and Colorado were all in the conference final, and the next year, none of those teams made it to the second round.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:48 AM
BoatMan

Meh... We expected this year to be the last of the "contenders". Detroit, Colorado, and the such...

But it turns out that the new elites of the league have started to dominate just one year earlier.

Damn Calgary... But I smell Minnesota in them.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:53 AM
loveshack2

I find it interesting (not ironic though) that for the second year in a row now none of the "Big Four" in the West (Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, St Louis) are a factor in the 3rd round. In the late nineties those four were always among the top teams and won their share of Cups.

Perhaps we are currently witnessing the changing of the guard in the West, or at least we're seeing things even out after those four were so dominant for a good number of years.

Old
05-05-2004, 02:03 AM
blitzkriegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
I find it interesting (not ironic though) that for the second year in a row now none of the "Big Four" in the West (Detroit, Colorado, Dallas, St Louis) are a factor in the 3rd round. In the late nineties those four were always among the top teams and won their share of Cups.

Somewhat of a connection there. All have different goaltenders... Well, when doesn't STL have a new goaltender?

Old
05-05-2004, 02:41 AM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Perhaps we are currently witnessing the changing of the guard in the West, or at least we're seeing things even out after those four were so dominant for a good number of years.

I think it is a changing of the guard. Tampa, Calgary, and San Jose are all great teams, and none are all that old.

This looks like Tampa's year!

I wouldn't have predicted this, but I can't say I'm unhappy about it.

05-05-2004, 03:38 AM
David Puddy

Quote:
What is also interesting is, if you remove St. Louis and add New Jersey, you will have the only four teams that have won the Stanley Cup Champions over the last nine years.

A fifth team with a Stanley Cup Championship over the last decade is guaranteed.

Old
05-05-2004, 04:11 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

2002/03:
Colorado beats out Vancouver for first place in Northwest on very last game. Colorado then loses a huge upset in round 1, and Vancouver loses in round 2.

2003/04:
Vancouver beats out Colorado for first place in Northwest on very last game. Vancouver then loses a huge upset in round 1, and Colorado loses in round 2.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:03 AM
loveshack2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy
What is also interesting is, if you remove St. Louis and add New Jersey, you will have the only four teams that have won the Stanley Cup Champions over the last nine years.

A fifth team with a Stanley Cup Championship over the last decade is guaranteed.
Very true. I like the idea that for the first time in years we're going to have a new Stanley Cup winner. Dynasties and the like are great but every once in a while you need fresh blood. Like you said it's been nine years that the same 4 teams have been winning Cups. There's a good chance that the 90's expansion teams could see their first Cup (San Jose, Tampa) which would be great for the game IMHO. I think most people felt Ottawa would get there first but whatever, the fact is that the first of the "expansion" teams have caught up to the rest of the league. Or maybe we'll see a Canadian team for the first time since Montreal? That would be great for the game's Canadian roots and for all the fans of the game in Canada. I really don't want Philly to win but it's been awhile since they've been there so I cant complain too much. At least they're a new face in the finals and they've certainly paid their playoff dues over the years. Anyways I think just the fact that New jersey and Detroit are both out already makes this year seem a little more exciting, at least to me.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:19 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

It won't all happen right away, but the Southeast Division is slowly making a resurgence across the board. Years of craptitude among four of the five teams at any given time (and the choice draft picks that go with it) have resulted in a wealth of good young talent in the division. TB is the first to make some hay on the basis of that young talent, but some great young players are gradually developing throughout the division.

Of note: While the division has often been justly maligned, should TB advance to the Finals the divison will have represented the Eastern Conference in the Finals in three of the last seven years, having sent three different teams at that.

Old
05-05-2004, 10:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Jacques Lemaire will not get canned if the Wild don't rebound as much next season (although I think they will). For a 4th year franchise, the Wild's 4th year was pretty successful. People fail to see that since they went to the playoffs last year. Many people (I wasn't one of them) predicted a fall off this season. I think most people realize that the success of the Minnesota Wild last year was too far too fast for a new franchise.

Now it's different if you're the Chicago team who went to the playoffs in 2002, and didn't even get a sniff the 2 years before and after that.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Jacques Lemaire will not get canned if the Wild don't rebound as much next season (although I think they will). For a 4th year franchise, the Wild's 4th year was pretty successful. People fail to see that since they went to the playoffs last year. Many people (I wasn't one of them) predicted a fall off this season. I think most people realize that the success of the Minnesota Wild last year was too far too fast for a new franchise.

Now it's different if you're the Chicago team who went to the playoffs in 2002, and didn't even get a sniff the 2 years before and after that.
If Minny just barely misses the playoffs, then he's doing his job right, but if they tank it next year, then they need new blood to get them started. I'm also saying Mike Babcock needs a way better year to stay in Anaheim. There was talk of his firing this year.

Closed Thread