Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Roster in 2017/18

Old
06-12-2017, 05:32 PM
10Ducky10

vCash: 500
Vegas drafts Lipon and we send Petan, De Leo and a 2nd.

Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Ehlers
Perreault - Roslo - Armia
Copp/Matthias - Lowry - Dano

We pick up a LHD in free agency.

Morrissey Trouba
LHD Buff
Enstrom Myers
Stu and Chiarot in pressbox.

We make a deal with the Isles for Halak.

Halak/Helle

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 06:09 PM
MrBoJangelz71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Maurice may be keeping Laine, Ehlers and Copp on their conventional sides to ease their transitions to the NHL. That seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me since all 3 have spent most of their hockey lives on the opposite sides. His way they are having to adapt to the NHL and to an unaccustomed position at the same time. Makes me think it will be the default arrangement.

Ehlers had played the left side quite a bit in the past and seems to have completed adapting. The other 2, not so much though Laine is well on the way. Apparently Dano had trouble moving to the left in Chicago. That may be why we got him.

There are pros and cons to each way of lining up but for some reason it seems very common for Euro players to do it the opposite way to NA players. See Ovi in addition to our 3.

Since I don't think it eases the transition to the NHL I think Maurice plans on keeping these players on their conventional wings. It may make their defensive play easier and more effective. It may be better for them in the long run - or not. They are free to cross over in the O zone anyway.

That means that Connor and Ehlers will spend little if any time on the same line, at least as long as Maurice is here.

Ehlers and Laine appeared to me to have great chemistry together and each played well with Scheifele. All 3 can improve their defensive play. I expect a big step forward from Laine this year in that regard. Ehlers has already improved quite a bit from his first year. He still vacates the D zone a little early sometimes. I think he will get better too. Scheifele is well known for working on his weaknesses. I think ESL can be the best line in hockey with tons of offense and adequate defense at the same time.

Connor seems to be able to play with linemates at a wide range of skill levels. With Wheeler he will have a very fast linemate and Little is an all around C who can keep up. Assuming Connor develops as expected that could be a very good line that will give opponents fits. Not many teams have the D pairs and checking lines to cover both of those top 2 lines.

I don't like the way Maurice built his bottom 6 last year. He had the playing talent to have at least 3 skilled lines, maybe even 4. He chose to go for a checking line and - I honestly don't know what that 4th line was supposed to be.

I expect much the same this year. I hope that doesn't mean Connor or Perreault either sitting or playing with plugs on the 4th line. Even on the 3rd line they may have difficulty depending on their linemates.
I agree with Ehlers and Laine having chemistry, along with Scheif, and that Wheeler's speed would match well with Connor.

Wheeler plays fast but he doesn't play overly quick. By that I mean, Wheeler has high end speed, but he is more north south full speed. Playing quick is more shifty, east west, stop starts, working at a fast pace in tight areas.

Ehlers plays fast and quick, and from what I've seen from Connor, he does as well. If they can match each others speed, and feed off eachother's abilities to operate effectively at high speeds, you could have the makings of something rare and special.

Or it might not work at all, but well worth taking a look.

MrBoJangelz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 10:55 PM
Mud Turtle

Quote:
Maurice may be keeping Laine, Ehlers and Copp on their conventional sides to ease their transitions to the NHL. That seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me since all 3 have spent most of their hockey lives on the opposite sides. His way they are having to adapt to the NHL and to an unaccustomed position at the same time. Makes me think it will be the default arrangement.

Ehlers had played the left side quite a bit in the past and seems to have completed adapting. The other 2, not so much though Laine is well on the way. Apparently Dano had trouble moving to the left in Chicago. That may be why we got him.

There are pros and cons to each way of lining up but for some reason it seems very common for Euro players to do it the opposite way to NA players. See Ovi in addition to our 3.

Since I don't think it eases the transition to the NHL I think Maurice plans on keeping these players on their conventional wings. It may make their defensive play easier and more effective. It may be better for them in the long run - or not. They are free to cross over in the O zone anyway.

That means that Connor and Ehlers will spend little if any time on the same line, at least as long as Maurice is here.

Ehlers and Laine appeared to me to have great chemistry together and each played well with Scheifele. All 3 can improve their defensive play. I expect a big step forward from Laine this year in that regard. Ehlers has already improved quite a bit from his first year. He still vacates the D zone a little early sometimes. I think he will get better too. Scheifele is well known for working on his weaknesses. I think ESL can be the best line in hockey with tons of offense and adequate defense at the same time.

Connor seems to be able to play with linemates at a wide range of skill levels. With Wheeler he will have a very fast linemate and Little is an all around C who can keep up. Assuming Connor develops as expected that could be a very good line that will give opponents fits. Not many teams have the D pairs and checking lines to cover both of those top 2 lines.

I don't like the way Maurice built his bottom 6 last year. He had the playing talent to have at least 3 skilled lines, maybe even 4. He chose to go for a checking line and - I honestly don't know what that 4th line was supposed to be.

I expect much the same this year. I hope that doesn't mean Connor or Perreault either sitting or playing with plugs on the 4th line. Even on the 3rd line they may have difficulty depending on their linemates.
Given Maurice's love of Lowry on the 3rd line, it might be best for this team to lose Lowry in the expansion draft.

Mud Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 11:01 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
Vegas drafts Lipon and we send Petan, De Leo and a 2nd.

Laine - Scheifele - Wheeler
Connor - Little - Ehlers
Perreault - Roslo - Armia
Copp/Matthias - Lowry - Dano

We pick up a LHD in free agency.

Morrissey Trouba
LHD Buff
Enstrom Myers
Stu and Chiarot in pressbox.

We make a deal with the Isles for Halak.

Halak/Helle
I think that means you've traded a 2nd, Petan and a couple of fringe prospects for Dano to play 4th line. I'd rather trade Petan and our 2nd for a late first and let them draft Dano, if you're going to run him out on the 4th line.

Gil Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 11:08 PM
10Ducky10

That is for them not taking one of our D or in the other scenario, Lowry or MP.
How much would we miss Petan, De Leo and a 2nd...miss the pick the most probably. Who is Petan going to knock out of the lineup to make the team?

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
That is for them not taking one of our D or in the other scenario, Lowry or MP.
How much would we miss Petan, De Leo and a 2nd...miss the pick the most probably. Who is Petan going to knock out of the lineup to make the team?
Well, I think they'd take Dano over the unprotected D, which is why I said you might as well let them have Dano and keep the pick/Petan.

Old
06-17-2017, 05:43 PM
Dayofthedogs

Now that the XD seems to be done with...

Connor-Little-Wheeler
Laine-Chef-Ehlers
Petan-MP-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Matthias
Tanev-De Leo

JoMo-Trouba
Toby-Buff
Chariot-Myers
Stu

Hellebyuck
Mason

Dano gone to Vegas

Moose?

Harkins-Roslo-Spacek
Lemieux-Desalvo-Kosmo
?-?-?

Niku-Nogier
Church-Kitchon
Melch-Kostalek

Comrie
Hutch

I really have no idea about the moose I just figured I'd round out the depth chart.

Dayofthedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Howard Chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthedogs View Post

Connor-Little-Wheeler
Laine-Chef-Ehlers
Petan-MP-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Matthias
Tanev-De Leo

JoMo-Trouba
Toby-Buff
Chariot-Myers
Stu

Hellebyuck
Mason

Dano gone to Vegas

Moose?

Harkins-Roslo-Spacek
Lemieux-Desalvo-Kosmo
?-?-?

Niku-Nogier
Church-Kitchon
Melch-Kostalek

Comrie
Hutch

I really have no idea about the moose I just figured I'd round out the depth chart.
We are starting to look pretty good!

Howard Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 10:11 PM
Gil Fisher

Quote:

Connor-Little-Wheeler
Laine-Chef-Ehlers
Petan-MP-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Matthias
Tanev-De Leo

JoMo-Trouba
Toby-Buff
Chariot-Myers
Stu

Hellebyuck
Mason

Dano gone to Vegas

Moose?

Harkins-Roslo-Spacek
Lemieux-Desalvo-Kosmo
?-?-?

Niku-Nogier
Church-Kitchon
Melch-Kostalek

Comrie
Hutch

Forgot Poolman.

Old
06-17-2017, 10:19 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Fisher View Post
Forgot Poolman.
Indeed. I originally had him as our 7th and forgot Stu was still under contract. Left Stu as the 7th and forgot to move Poolman to the Moose (at least he gets playing time there).

Insert Poolman for Church, unless we can find a way to get rid of Melch

Old
06-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:

Connor-Little-Wheeler
Laine-Chef-Ehlers
Petan-MP-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Matthias
Tanev-De Leo

JoMo-Trouba
Toby-Buff
Chariot-Myers
Stu

Hellebyuck
Mason

Dano gone to Vegas

Moose?

Harkins-Roslo-Spacek
Lemieux-Desalvo-Kosmo
?-?-?

Niku-Nogier
Church-Kitchon
Melch-Kostalek

Comrie
Hutch

Petan's a C, Perreault isn't.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 11:06 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Petan's a C, Perreault isn't.
If I'm not mistaken MP played C in junior, AHL and the NHL at different times. I thought he primarily played C in Anaheim.

Old
06-17-2017, 11:34 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken MP played C in junior, AHL and the NHL at different times. I thought he primarily played C in Anaheim.
True. And he failed miserably as a C in Winnipeg. He has been widely quoted expressing a preference for the wing. IIRC he was interviewed after being put back at LW last year and said he should not be thought of as a C anymore.

Old
06-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Gil Fisher

Laine Scheifele Wheeler
Perreault Little Ehlers
Connor Lowry Armia
Petan Copp Matthais

Morrissey Trouba
Enstrom Byfuglien
Poolman Myers
Chairot

Hellebuyck

Old
06-21-2017, 10:51 PM
ocdaddy

Ehlers Sheifele Wheeler

Perrault Little Laine

Connor Lowry Armia

Mattias Copp Dano

JoMo Trouba
Enstrom Buff
Poolman Myers

Helle

That's a very competitive lineup. GJG!!

ocdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 10:54 PM
AWSAA

vCash: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdaddy View Post
Ehlers Sheifele Wheeler

Perrault Little Laine

Connor Lowry Armia

Mattias Copp Dano

JoMo Trouba
Enstrom Buff
Poolman Myers

Helle

Are we trying to derail Connor's development? He should play with a C who is capable of making a tape to tape pass.

AWSAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 10:56 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
PAINT LIVES!

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdaddy View Post
Ehlers Sheifele Wheeler

Perrault Little Laine

Connor Lowry Armia

Mattias Copp Dano

JoMo Trouba
Enstrom Buff
Poolman Myers

Helle

That's pretty much my lineup as well. replace Poolman with UFA/Trade, and add a solid backup, and we're golden.

Not sure about chemistry, but in terms of a depth chart, it's right on.

Last edited by Tom ServoMST3K: 06-21-2017 at 11:05 PM.
Tom ServoMST3K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 11:04 PM
SM

I want Maurice to try the Penguins balanced line approach.

Opening:
Perreault-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Ehlers-Petan-Armia
Copp-Lowry-Dano
Matthias

Later:
Petan-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Roslovic-Ehlers
Dano/Copp-Lowry-Armia

Would like to see something tomorrow morning where we trade for Shea Theodore, but I'm thinking it's highly unlikely. Would look pretty damn good if we could pull it off....

Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom/Theodore-Buff
Theodore/Enstrom-Myers
Poolman

SM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Festinator

If we can get a solid goalie to split time with or back up Helle, or perhaps even take over the starting role reliably if Helle s***** the bed again, Jets are playoff bound next season.

Festinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 07:46 AM
ocdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinator View Post
If we can get a solid goalie to split time with or back up Helle, or perhaps even take over the starting role reliably if Helle s***** the bed again, Jets are playoff bound next season.
I could see Chevy signing Elliott before heading up to the lake for the summer. This plan works if Helle takes a step forward this year.

The other determinate for success is Maurice's management of big Buff in terms of limiting his ice time and expecting him to play defense.

Very happy with Chevy's actions yesterday. Looking foward to seeing Dano develop.

ocdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 11:36 AM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
Are we trying to derail Connor's development? He should play with a C who is capable of making a tape to tape pass.
My favorite part about this is how nice of a pass Lowry laid to Connor when Connor scored in his 1 game at the end of last season.

Old
06-22-2017, 04:20 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinator View Post
Unless Helle takes a big step forward over the off-season he needs more than a backup. He needs either a starter who he can try to take the job away from or a 1a/1b rotation.

Old
06-22-2017, 04:29 PM
HDHockey
Rookie User

I like spreading talent a bit, like Penguins and Rangers:

Laine - Scheifele - Ehlers
Petan - Little - Wheeler
Perreault - Roslovic*1 - Connor*2
Copp - Lowry - Armia
Matthias - Dano

*1 If Roslovic not ready Lowry takes place, Copp takes Lowry's place, and Matthias takes Copp's place
*2 If Connor not ready Armia takes place, Dano takes Armia's place
Run the bottom six with Roslo line being all offense and Lowry all shutdown mins. Not sure who is first call up.

Josh - Trouba
Enstrom - Myers
??? - Buff
Chiarot

Stuart in the AHL to groom our future. Run the second and third pair fairly even in ice time and Buff will get lots of mins with that plus pp and pk. Poolman first call up.

HDHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Mbraunm

Due to how Maurice favours Lowry, it would have been nice if we somehow lost him in the expansion draft. However, I am pleased with Chevy's move.

Mbraunm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Dayofthedogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbraunm View Post
Due to how Maurice favours Lowry, it would have been nice if we somehow lost him in the expansion draft. However, I am pleased with Chevy's move.
I keep hearing this but is it actually true?

PoMo was the same guy who sent him to the AHL a year and a half ago. He's also been more critical in the media of Lowry than most of his other younger players.

It was also his choice to start Lowry on the 4th line at C last year and use Little/Chef/MP ahead of him at center. Little got hurt a couple minutes in and every changed.

Personally I think PoMo would rather have a more skilled 3C option but Petan, Copp and Roslo weren't it at the time and MP was needed on the wing when he was healthy.