HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Hall of Fame candidates ( Election on June 26 )

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-17-2017, 11:43 AM
  #1
Sharp Shooting Neely
Registered User
 
Sharp Shooting Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,779
vCash: 500
2017 Hall of Fame candidates ( Election on June 26 )

The 2017 class discussion has begun. SN's Emily Sadler reviews the front runners for consideration. Recchi is of course in the mix again. Betting he does make it this year. Wonder if this guy might get to join him?

"Tim Thomas
Thomas was really good, but not for really long. Because his time in the NHL spotlight came later than most, the netminderís resume is shorter than other goalies in the HOF conversation ó but still worth considering. In the span of just a few seasons, he won two Vezinas (2008-09, 2010-11), one William Jennings (2008-09) and a Conn Smythe to go with his Stanley Cup in 2010-11."


http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/c...ted-hhof-year/


Last edited by Fenway: 06-17-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Sharp Shooting Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:16 PM
  #2
RetiredWBC8
Registered User
 
RetiredWBC8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The 973
Country: United States
Posts: 43,921
vCash: 1000
Recchi should be in the Hall of Fame but he's not a Hall of Famer in my mind if that makes sense. Where is BiggioRainesHOF. Need his input.

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:29 PM
  #3
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,690
vCash: 4081081
Teemu Selanne is a lock so that leaves 3 slots open.

Daniel Alfredsson (1st year eligible)
Mark Recchi (4th year eligible)
Chris Osgood (4th year eligible)
Curtis Joseph (5th year eligible)
Paul Kariya (5th year eligible)
Jeremy Roenick (6th year eligible)
Alexander Mogilny (9th year eligible)
Dave Andreychuk (9th year eligible)
Theo Fleury (9th year eligible)
Kevin Lowe (16th year eligible)

Tim Thomas is not on the ballot.

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind17...gibility.shtml


Last edited by Fenway: 06-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:34 PM
  #4
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star
 
William Faulkner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 14,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
Recchi should be in the Hall of Fame but he's not a Hall of Famer in my mind if that makes sense. Where is BiggioRainesHOF. Need his input.


As much as I like Recchi I just don't feel he's hof material. I don't think he was dominant enough. But obviously I'm happy if he does make it.

William Faulkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:39 PM
  #5
Bruinaura
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Teemu Selanne is a lock so that leaves 3 slots open.

Daniel Alfredsson (1st year eligible)
Mark Recchi (4th year eligible)
Chris Osgood (4th year eligible)
Curtis Joseph (5th year eligible)
Paul Kariya (5th year eligible)
Jeremy Roenick (6th year eligible)
Alexander Mogilny (9th year eligible)
Dave Andreychuk (9th year eligible)
Theo Fleury (9th year eligible)
Kevin Lowe (16th year eligible)

Tim Thomas is not on the ballot.

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind17...gibility.shtml
Kind of surprised Fleury is not in after nine years.

Recchi better make it this year.

It would be interesting if Selanne and Kariya went in together.


Last edited by Fenway: 06-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Bruinaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:39 PM
  #6
Aeroforce
Registered User
 
Aeroforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredWBC8 View Post
Recchi should be in the Hall of Fame but he's not a Hall of Famer in my mind if that makes sense. Where is BiggioRainesHOF. Need his input.
It's an interesting comparison and brings to light just what the qualifications for induction are.

I watched Biggio (and Bagwell) their entire careers; was huge fans of both, and am happy both are in. But I wouldn't have been surprised if they didn't make it.

In addition to the subtle media bias against certain markets, both were very good for a long time. So their lifetime stats are impressive. I can see Recchi in a similar light.

I admit my bias with Tim Thomas - he's my favorite Bruin of all time.

While he wasn't 'very good for a long time' like Biggio and Bagwell, he was 'great' for a short time. Under the umbrella of 'great' are two Vezinas, a Conn Smythe, and a Stanley Cup which let's face it - was a team effort but without Thomas doesn't happen.

I would love to see Thomas get in, but like the aforementioned baseball players, won't be surprised if he doesn't. He may have to wait a while.

Aeroforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:39 PM
  #7
Sharp Shooting Neely
Registered User
 
Sharp Shooting Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Teemu Selanne is a lock so that leaves 3 slots open.

Daniel Alfredsson (1st year eligible)
Mark Recchi (4th year eligible)
Chris Osgood (4th year eligible)
Curtis Joseph (5th year eligible)
Paul Kariya (5th year eligible)
Jeremy Roenick (6th year eligible)
Alexander Mogilny (9th year eligible)
Dave Andreychuk (9th year eligible)
Theo Fleury (9th year eligible)
Kevin Lowe (16th year eligible)

Tim Thomas is not on the ballot.

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind17...gibility.shtml
Have to wonder what Sadler was thinking with the comments in her article. Was suprised that he was in the conversation at this stage given the potential candidates listed ahead of him as you point out.


Last edited by Fenway: 06-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Sharp Shooting Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:48 PM
  #8
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,690
vCash: 4081081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp Shooting Neely View Post
Have to wonder what Sadler was thinking with the comments in her article. Was suprised that he was in the conversation at this stage given the potential candidates listed ahead of him as you point out.
Alfredsson most likely gets in but then it is a guess on what the committee will do.

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:48 PM
  #9
Aeroforce
Registered User
 
Aeroforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Teemu Selanne is a lock so that leaves 3 slots open.

Daniel Alfredsson (1st year eligible)
Mark Recchi (4th year eligible)
Chris Osgood (4th year eligible)
Curtis Joseph (5th year eligible)
Paul Kariya (5th year eligible)
Jeremy Roenick (6th year eligible)
Alexander Mogilny (9th year eligible)
Dave Andreychuk (9th year eligible)
Theo Fleury (9th year eligible)
Kevin Lowe (16th year eligible)

Tim Thomas is not on the ballot.

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/ind17...gibility.shtml
I know some people get mad when team success is considered when determining personal success. But if Osgood managed to win Game 7 against the Pens in '09, I think he'd be a shoe-in. Thanks a lot Max Talbot!


Last edited by Fenway: 06-17-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Aeroforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:58 PM
  #10
Bruinaura
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroforce View Post
I know some people get mad when team success is considered when determining personal success. But if Osgood managed to win Game 7 against the Pens in '09, I think he'd be a shoe-in. Thanks a lot Max Talbot!
Speaking of team success... How about Claude Provost with nine Stanley Cups?!

....who is Claude Provost? (Apologies if I should really know more about him, but his name doesn't exactly stand out like Orr, Howe, or Gretzky lol)

That list is very interesting.

Bruinaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:04 PM
  #11
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,690
vCash: 4081081
No Bruins connection on the selection committee

http://www.hhof.com/htmlInduct/indselect.shtml

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:23 PM
  #12
Dellstrom
Pastrnasty
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 22,576
vCash: 650
Recchi better get in... It's a crime he's not yet.

Dellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 01:58 PM
  #13
Aeroforce
Registered User
 
Aeroforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,198
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaura View Post
Speaking of team success... How about Claude Provost with nine Stanley Cups?!

....who is Claude Provost? (Apologies if I should really know more about him, but his name doesn't exactly stand out like Orr, Howe, or Gretzky lol)

That list is very interesting.
He's the Robert Horry of the NHL.

Aeroforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 12:12 AM
  #14
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 9,556
vCash: 500
If there was a hall of very good, Recchi would be the poster boy. Recchi was just very good for a long time, he was never an elite guy. I don't think Recchi should get in, but he will eventually because the HHOF lets in too many players.

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:24 AM
  #15
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975
 
Alberta_OReilly_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,648
vCash: 500
for me hof always meant famous or legendary. this should be for guys who were one of the top 30 best players of their era and in special cases one of the 10 most popular players of their era

guys we talk about 20 years after they retire, and we still know who they are because our dads and friends talked about them all the time

i dont need to see 4 guys go into this hof every single year just to fill a quota

to me a guy like cam neely goes in because people who saw him play argue hes the best power forward ever... a guy like mark recchi doesnt because his claim to fame is he was one of the 25-50 best players for 18 years and hung around long enough to get some career totals.

i put in guys like eric lindros and pavel bure even though they didnt play forever, but because once you saw them they amazed you for a lifetime

and i would vote for tim thomas for that same reason

(and vote for terry oreilly because he was special too)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 07:37 AM
  #16
Krupp
Registered User
 
Krupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Haymarket, VA
Posts: 697
vCash: 500
Maybe it's just because I've read his book, or that I love smaller feisty players, but I would be thrilled if Theo Fleury got in the HOF. Guy had a hard life, but he was an excellent hockey player for a good while.

Krupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 07:53 PM
  #17
RoccoF14
Registered User
 
RoccoF14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupp View Post
Maybe it's just because I've read his book, or that I love smaller feisty players, but I would be thrilled if Theo Fleury got in the HOF. Guy had a hard life, but he was an excellent hockey player for a good while.
If I had to take 4, I'd take Selanne, Recchi, Andreychuk and Roenick/Fleury in that order.

I don't see how you can keep a Top 15 All Time goal scorer out (Andreychuk) out for 8 straight years.

It's a toss up for me between Roenick and Fleury. Roenick is an atrocious commentator, but both guys were dominating players for multiple years in their prime.

RoccoF14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 08:18 PM
  #18
RoccoF14
Registered User
 
RoccoF14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinaura View Post
It would be interesting if Selanne and Kariya went in together.
Paul Kariya was a Hall of Fame talent, but I don't know if he's going to get in because of his career getting cut short from injury.

I do know, that I will never forget this moment (Game 6, Stanley Cup Final):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__H6Gvdn8WY

I CAN tell you, that with current player safety rules, we will NEVER see something like that again.

What kind of suspension do you think Stevens gets if that happened today?

RoccoF14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 08:45 PM
  #19
Bruinaura
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoF14 View Post
Paul Kariya was a Hall of Fame talent, but I don't know if he's going to get in because of his career getting cut short from injury.

I do know, that I will never forget this moment (Game 6, Stanley Cup Final):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__H6Gvdn8WY

I CAN tell you, that with current player safety rules, we will NEVER see something like that again.

What kind of suspension do you think Stevens gets if that happened today?
Well, Lindros' career was shortened by injury, and he's in. But I'd take him over Kariya anyway.

Scott Stevens. Ugh. I was never a fan of his. I'd hope some of his hits would be suspended today.

Bruinaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 07:50 AM
  #20
Coors9
Registered User
 
Coors9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NF, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 543
vCash: 500
Forget all of them and put Nifty in.

Coors9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 08:00 AM
  #21
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoccoF14 View Post
Paul Kariya was a Hall of Fame talent, but I don't know if he's going to get in because of his career getting cut short from injury.

I do know, that I will never forget this moment (Game 6, Stanley Cup Final):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__H6Gvdn8WY

I CAN tell you, that with current player safety rules, we will NEVER see something like that again.

What kind of suspension do you think Stevens gets if that happened today?
One of my favorite all time defensemen, played the game the way it is suppose to be played. Don't want to get knocked cold? Keep your head up and don't admire your passes. The fact that Stevens would be deemed dirty today is all that needs to be said about everything that is wrong with the current state of hockey in general.

Watching that hit again, that is what a hit is suppose to be like, elbow down, no jumping, clean hit.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:08 AM
  #22
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 9,556
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
One of my favorite all time defensemen, played the game the way it is suppose to be played. Don't want to get knocked cold? Keep your head up and don't admire your passes. The fact that Stevens would be deemed dirty today is all that needs to be said about everything that is wrong with the current state of hockey in general.

Watching that hit again, that is what a hit is suppose to be like, elbow down, no jumping, clean hit.
Yeah, not allowing hitting to the head is everything that's wrong with the current state of hockey.

finchster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:14 AM
  #23
5pointslow
Registered User
 
5pointslow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Taunton ma
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
rick middleton end of discussion , still not dont understand that

let alone recchi should be in

5pointslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:59 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.