HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phone Booth energy(lack there of)

Old
06-05-2017, 10:25 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Opposition fans take over both our soccer and American Football arena, with alarming frequency. And are often louder. Have Caps or Skins ever done that at even 1 opposition arena? It's more than just the number of games. It seems like Sabres fans have made it to DC, and they suck more than we do. I have heard some allege DC fans are "fair weather" fans.

Pertaining to hockey alone, events that cause cheering have diminished. Fights used to get almost everyone out of their seats, most cheering as long as our Kaminski or Bradley weren't getting pummeled. Lucky for us - we always had guys good with their dukes. The ooohs and ahhs during long fights were loud. Cheering after a fight won vs a punk that needed it, were as loud as goal cheers.

Scrums used to be common place, and now are a rarity. That got the blood flowing, for both players and fans. Hitting does the same. Gone, it's all gone.

There simply isn't enough goal scoring to fill the void. Mario's vision of a wide open high scoring game was squashed by huge goalies and the couches on their legs, that we call pillows.
People come to DC from other areas for government work so fanbases travel here by osmosis, but DC is also a tourist destination because of museums, parks, the Zoo, government buildings, monuments, etc. As a pretty niche team and fanbase I would expect more visiting fans coming here than Caps fans going abroad, even in the best of times.

06-05-2017, 10:36 AM
Devil Dancer

We used to get compliments on fan enthusiasm at the Phone Booth earlier in the Ovechkin era. HFers in particular were sometimes jealous of our rocking arena.

Years of disappointment will put a damper on that.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 08:24 AM
G F O P

Load of Crap I have season tickets it's always loud during postseason

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2017, 12:20 PM
Acallabeth
Curses & prophecies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy for Kuzy View Post
I got roasted here last time I said that. If you pay $200 to watch a game, you cheer them hard win or lose. I never understood the people that just sit back, say nothing and leave early if the team is losing by a significant margin.
I'm not sure why you got roasted, I never understood personally what's the appeal of going to a game and then acting like you're in front of your TV.
Then again, different fandom traditions.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:12 PM
Ms Maggie

Is there a correlation between crowd noise and winning?

As for European soccer. Yeah that ole ole ole ole never gets old.🙄

Ms Maggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 01:55 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Maggie View Post
As for European soccer. Yeah that ole ole ole ole never gets old.🙄
It gets old the second time you hear it.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 05:45 PM
marcel snapshot

I find the fan experience at the Verizon Center to be moldy, old, and tired. Unleash The Fury, everybody clap your hands, all the other between-whistle, dumbed-down video monitor audience participation rituals, and the relentless blaring of terrible music at volumes that make conversation impossible (and I'm somebody that goes to lots of live music shows and likes listening to music loud). It may have been OK in 2009, but 8 years later it just seems dated and dense.

They've been doing the same thing at the VC for the last 10 years (except that each year they make it harder to talk your seatmates between whistles) and it's just gotten so stale after 10 years of playoff failure, that it starts to feel a little Orwellian to have them continue to pump out the same old crap.

Go ahead, call me a grumpy bitter killjoy, but this is all of a piece. Something worked a long time ago and we're loathe to change it, even though a change is long overdue.

marcel snapshot is online now   Reply With Quote