Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Blue Bombers Thread Part I

Old
06-17-2017, 11:22 PM
bromine

vCash: 50
Argos release Drew Willy. That trade last season looking great now.

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 12:08 AM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Willy released by the Argos:

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/06/17/argos-...ck-drew-willy/

I would bring him back in a heartbeat if the money was right.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him end up back in Saskatchewan. They aren't exactly brimming with QB talent.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 12:19 AM
Blitzkrug
#All4Jarvis

vCash: 819
That trade made zero sense when everyone and their mom knew Ray was still going to be the starter once healthy.

Barker deserved the axe for that deal.

Blitzkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 11:43 AM
snowkiddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPGChief View Post
I'm still not convinced about O'Shea, but Kyle Walters has done a terrific job as GM.
Agreed 100%

snowkiddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 01:47 PM
RustyCat
Registered homie

vCash: 182
Kenny Stafford released. Interesting. I thought he would of had a good shot at being a starter?

Maybe we just don't like Stafford's in Winnipeg?

RustyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 02:04 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
I remember when the Bombers used to be on the wrong side of deals like this.

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 02:14 PM
snowkiddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCat View Post
Kenny Stafford released. Interesting. I thought he would of had a good shot at being a starter?

I think others have mentioned that he was treating camp like a joke. And he was invisible in the pre-season. And I heard he was a locker room cancer.

Old
06-18-2017, 02:14 PM
snowkiddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
I remember when the Bombers used to be on the wrong side of deals like this.
The good ol' Joe Mack days.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Whileee

Is it just me, or is Sam Hurl a really anemic MLB? I honestly don't know what O'Shea sees in him. Westwood is going after him a bit now, and I agree with him on this.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:56 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Is it just me, or is Sam Hurl a really anemic MLB? I honestly don't know what O'Shea sees in him. Westwood is going after him a bit now, and I agree with him on this.
I don't like Hurl at MLB but I think the Bombers are being a bit cornered into it at this point. Problem is the Coates and Richards injuries at receiver have left them a bit thin at national receiver. They don't seem to want to start Feoli-Gudino at receiver. Combine that with what has sounded like a very mediocre camp from national DT's Jake Thomas and Faith Ekakatie and the national starter problems become evident.

Right now they have Goosen, Chung, Westerman, Loffler, Harris as locks to start. Now they need 2 more national starters. It pretty much has to be at receiver, defensive tackle or middle linebacker. With the aforementioned problems they are having at receiver and tackle the Bombers likely want to give Hurl a chance to play MLB so they can maintain flexibility at the other two question mark positions.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:29 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyCat View Post

Stafford and his attitude were not exactly what O'SHea is all about, really surprised they signed him in the first place.

No surprise on Willy, he just isn't very good and is completely immobile something you can't be in the CFL!

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:00 PM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I don't like Hurl at MLB but I think the Bombers are being a bit cornered into it at this point. Problem is the Coates and Richards injuries at receiver have left them a bit thin at national receiver. They don't seem to want to start Feoli-Gudino at receiver. Combine that with what has sounded like a very mediocre camp from national DT's Jake Thomas and Faith Ekakatie and the national starter problems become evident.

Right now they have Goosen, Chung, Westerman, Loffler, Harris as locks to start. Now they need 2 more national starters. It pretty much has to be at receiver, defensive tackle or middle linebacker. With the aforementioned problems they are having at receiver and tackle the Bombers likely want to give Hurl a chance to play MLB so they can maintain flexibility at the other two question mark positions.
Maybe.

But O'Shea has been a strong supporter of Hurl's for a while. I don't get it, to be honest. I think the Bombers could be steamrolled in run defense. He's slow and weak and just doesn't make very many plays.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
Agree, he's miscast as a starting MLB in the CFL. As a special teams kamikaze, fine. But he's just way too slow in diagnosing plays and getting into the right position.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 03:24 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Maybe.

But O'Shea has been a strong supporter of Hurl's for a while. I don't get it, to be honest. I think the Bombers could be steamrolled in run defense. He's slow and weak and just doesn't make very many plays.
Quote:
Agree, he's miscast as a starting MLB in the CFL. As a special teams kamikaze, fine. But he's just way too slow in diagnosing plays and getting into the right position.
I agree with both these points. I don't think Hurl is at all starter quality. I was just explaining the rationale I see right now. I do think they should be starting Feoli-Gudino at receiver for sure. The reports on Ekakatie and Thomas out of camp are troubling though and pressure off the D-Line is a big weak spot for the Bombers. They might need to replace Hardwick at RT for Neufeld. Not an ideal solution by any means, but that might be a way to fix the national problem.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:25 PM
bustamente

vCash: 58
Looks like the ratio at the moment is pushing Hurl to start at MLB, but if the Bombers start 8 nationals as some has speculated then Osh is seeing something that I am not.

bustamente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 07:24 PM
Hank Chinaski
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

Awards:
Quote:
I agree with both these points. I don't think Hurl is at all starter quality. I was just explaining the rationale I see right now. I do think they should be starting Feoli-Gudino at receiver for sure. The reports on Ekakatie and Thomas out of camp are troubling though and pressure off the D-Line is a big weak spot for the Bombers. They might need to replace Hardwick at RT for Neufeld. Not an ideal solution by any means, but that might be a way to fix the national problem.
Absolutely. It's just too bad we couldn't find a better National MLB to plug in there.

Hurl at MLB >>>>>>>> Neufeld at RT. There's a school of thought that says MLB is a less crucial position in CFL defensive schemes, similar to safety. You can't play around with RT, especially with someone like Neufeld who is a straight-up bum at tackle.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 07:47 PM
jetsforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
Ekakitie better be good though

jetsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2017, 12:25 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Absolutely. It's just too bad we couldn't find a better National MLB to plug in there.

Hurl at MLB >>>>>>>> Neufeld at RT. There's a school of thought that says MLB is a less crucial position in CFL defensive schemes, similar to safety. You can't play around with RT, especially with someone like Neufeld who is a straight-up bum at tackle.
Further condemnation of the CFL import ratio rules! The best Canadian born players are in the NFL already, don't get what exactly we are protecting. Maybe Canadian NHL teams should only allow a set number of foreign born players, lets see how far that gets!

Old
06-21-2017, 02:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Further condemnation of the CFL import ratio rules! The best Canadian born players are in the NFL already, don't get what exactly we are protecting. Maybe Canadian NHL teams should only allow a set number of foreign born players, lets see how far that gets!
Almost all leagues around the world have rules to protect local players. Only leagues that don't are NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA. The big 4 in North America. The CFL is not in that group so it makes sense to have the national rule.

Think about the european hockey leagues. All their best players are in NHL but they still have limits on foreign born players. It is important to maintain growth at home. The reason there are lots of Canadian players now plying their trade south of the border is directly related to national/international rules in the CFL.

Old
06-21-2017, 02:29 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Almost all leagues around the world have rules to protect local players. Only leagues that don't are NHL, NFL, MLB, NBA. The big 4 in North America. The CFL is not in that group so it makes sense to have the national rule.

Think about the european hockey leagues. All their best players are in NHL but they still have limits on foreign born players. It is important to maintain growth at home. The reason there are lots of Canadian players now plying their trade south of the border is directly related to national/international rules in the CFL.
Well I think things need tweaking, allow 20 imports to start regardless on which side of the ball, let the teams choose and they need to make an allowance for Canadian QB's to try and develop some, up until this season with Brandon Bridge in SK has there been any since Russ Jackson?

We disagree on this but I think you need to allow the best players available to play regardless of country of origin.

Old
06-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
So happy to have CFL football back on the television.

I'm going to try and watch every game this year.

For Canadian talent, I'm happy with where it is at, but the league needs to add a spot to every roster called "Canadian QB"

That way every team will at least have someone on the roster who gets elite practice reps.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 12:02 PM
WaveRaven

vCash: 109
I think sip is on to something here. I have been the biggest supporter of the mandatory Canadians rule. But with so many going south these days and way larger rosters in the NFL than say 20 years ago maybe we need to lower it a couple.

WaveRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2017, 05:02 PM
JetBlue420

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveRaven View Post
I think sip is on to something here. I have been the biggest supporter of the mandatory Canadians rule. But with so many going south these days and way larger rosters in the NFL than say 20 years ago maybe we need to lower it a couple.
Never gonna happen.

JetBlue420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2017, 08:01 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlue420 View Post
Never gonna happen.
Never say never, CFL needs it more than ever, brutal crowds in TO and BC where the CFL is now really struggling, it isn't much better in Montreal, total apathy in your top three markets and those kinda dictate your next television contract!

Only 13K for the home opener against the rival Tiger Cats in TO was really sad to see, great effort by Ray, really don't know how the CFL turns the Argo's around at this point! Obviously the move to BMO wasn't the answer as many had hoped.

Old
06-26-2017, 08:19 AM
ps241
Playoff push 2017

I really hope the Bombers have a good season but I sense they may take a step backwards. Feels like they settled at QB and their turnover ratio will regress to the mean and that will more than offset any gains they have made. That being said I am the least plugged in guy on this thread to the CFL so here's hoping I am wrong. Life is better when the Bombers are winning.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote