HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phil Housley Hired as Head Coach

Old
06-16-2017, 01:48 PM
26CornerBlitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissCheese77 View Post
I must have missed it, where did he say that?
He didn't say it explicitly, but my interpretation is that he'll talk to the current staff as a courtesy. They all have been given permission to seek jobs elsewhere.

06-16-2017, 03:11 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
I get why many want to keep Bob Woods but let's be honest for a second...Jack Eichel is phenomenal on the power play and can make any coach look like a genius. The kid is absolutely incredible on the PP.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
I get why many want to keep Bob Woods but let's be honest for a second...Jack Eichel is phenomenal on the power play and can make any coach look like a genius. The kid is absolutely incredible on the PP.
Eichel's basically an ideal of what you want in a powerplay star. Throw in the high IQ talent around him and, yeah, they should be an elite PP unit with any coach.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Myllz
#justbogothings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Yeah, I'm not at all worried about losing Bob Woods. The reason the powerplay was ranked so high was because of the ridiculously stacked first unit. If systems or coaching were responsible for the powerplay's success then the second unit would've been better, but they were awful.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 04:16 PM
Moskau

vCash: 67
They had a top 3 powerplay before Eichel came back.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 05:09 PM
Sabre Dance
Goals not pull-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
They had a top 3 powerplay before Eichel came back.
No they didn't. It was 12th.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 05:35 PM
dkollidas

The thing I was really impressed by is how excited he was to come back to Buffalo. He was never a fan favorite, got traded away, but seems like he was really excited to get back to the area.

Also impressed by how many younger players he's worked with. I believe that will help him developing the guys we have. He did a great job with Subban, so hopefully we can look forward to that type of work with guys like Eichel/Reinhart/Ristolainen/McCabe

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 05:40 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre Dance View Post
No they didn't. It was 12th.
It was higher at one point I thought, top 10 at least. There's a lot of talent on our PP. ROR is a great PP player, a great glue guy that keeps the puck moving where it should, strong around the net as well. Reinhart's a high-end passer with a high-end IQ and very strong net presence. Ristolainen brings a lot to the back end. When Eichel was out, Moulson had a good run as a finisher on the PP. So, the group sans Eichel is still pretty good. With Eichel, a clearcut top PP guy in the world already, it was elite.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Sabre Dance
Goals not pull-ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
It was higher at one point I thought, top 10 at least. There's a lot of talent on our PP. ROR is a great PP player, a great glue guy that keeps the puck moving where it should, strong around the net as well. Reinhart's a high-end passer with a high-end IQ and very strong net presence. Ristolainen brings a lot to the back end. When Eichel was out, Moulson had a good run as a finisher on the PP. So, the group sans Eichel is still pretty good. With Eichel, a clearcut top PP guy in the world already, it was elite.
Yeah, still good. 20% without Eichel. 26% with Eichel. Team has a lot of skill.

Sabre Dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 06:20 PM
JLewyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxon View Post
Yes. Before RoR got hurt, they were as high as 6th I think. Moulson had a bunch of goals in the first month or so.

JLewyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 06:46 PM
Jim Carr's Rug

I'm pretty excited about the potential chemistry between Antipin and Housley. That could be a real nice fit in philosophy.

Jim Carr's Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 10:09 PM
NEcoli

I found it interesting that Housley went out of his way to praise Moulson and Ennis during his WGR interview.

NEcoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 10:11 PM
Samsonite23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEcoli View Post
I found it interesting that Housley went out of his way to praise Moulson and Ennis during his WGR interview.
Lack of recent knowledge of the roster + knowing how they played before Bylsma was their coach.

Samsonite23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2017, 11:28 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
You are totally forgetting that the level of play is completely different from World Jrs to the NHL. The guys on the 4th line in the NHL are often better than most World Jrs because not all of them even make the NHL as a mainstay.
The operative word for me was kiddies. The best of these players are just a couple of seasons shy of being NHLers and the top group of them end up becoming elite professionals (Toews, Kane, Parise, McDavid, Mathews, etc.). A more cogent argument about Housey's lack of HC experience is perhaps that the style of game is different at the Jr level compared to the NHL. NHL obsession with defensive systems, trapping, obstruction and interference has turned it into a pretty boring game. So I'm not concerned about Housley not having a coaching pedigree that emphasizes 1-1-3 trapping and wanting to play an uptempo game. That U20 experience might be one of the best things he's got going for hisself.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Also interesting to look at the guys on that 2013 U20 team: http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.p...tats&team=1624

Johnny Hockey, Jake Trouba, Seth Jones, JT Miller, John Gibson, Connor Murphy, Alex Galchenyuk, Vince Trochek, Ghost, Vesey (grrr), and even Garret "Tank Shoe" Sparks... not too shabby.

His spins as a WC ass't. as well as his WJC U20 ass't. jobs are also nice ties to plenty of quality NHL talent and some interesting coaching names (Potulny already mentioned). It'll be interesting to see who rounds out his staff.

06-17-2017, 12:32 AM
valet

phil 'the philanthropist' coming back to buffalo! haha!!!!

great corporate responsibility

valet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 02:05 AM
cybresabre
turning timber

vCash: 751
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by valet View Post
phil 'the philanthropist' coming back to buffalo! haha!!!!

great corporate responsibility
Philthy Phil, Philanthropist!

Crowdsource time. What, if anything, does Phil need to be saying?

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 03:30 AM
wunderpanda
enter PHo Botts

After listening to his presser & the 4 or 5 other interviews he's given, got to say his vision for the team sounds fun. Wants 5 guys in O-zone, exciting transitions game and active defense. Also pointed out the players need to commit to a defend first structure and do what they are told.

The interviews have all been mostly the same, few different names get dropped (Ennis, Moulson first, Zemgus on another, ROR & Jack on another, Kane sometime else)... honest question - no agenda; has he mentioned Sam at all?

Most curious about how Housley will handle things if the team defense isn't *better*. His aggressive attack idea is going to require everyone racing back on a change of possession and a goalie that can handle a breakaway or odd man rush + any rebound attempts until the cavalry arrives.

Last years roster lost interest in those things while playing a conservative system, will depend more on the motivation of returning individuals than positional upgrades.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 04:08 AM
CacOBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wunderpanda View Post
honest question - no agenda; has he mentioned Sam at all?
No and neither did Botts until someone asked him with specific question. That is what I mean about league reputation about him and how there is no way he gets more than 5mil AAV. He's made next to no imapct on league level even if people that watch him closely like what he does.

CacOBG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 05:03 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
Philthy Phil, Philanthropist!

Crowdsource time. What, if anything, does Phil need to be saying?
That gif is from the cringeworthy anti drug video right? Housley and Andreychuk look like total goofs there

Speaking of Andreychuk I'm surprised he never got into coaching. Must be happy living in Tampa and having that executive role with the Lightning. He always seemed like a guy who would get into coaching after retirement.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 12:25 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CacOBG View Post
No and neither did Botts until someone asked him with specific question. That is what I mean about league reputation about him and how there is no way he gets more than 5mil AAV. He's made next to no imapct on league level even if people that watch him closely like what he does.
So you're saying that we don't have to worry about paying a 3rd line center $5 million, so that whole argument was moot....

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 03:25 PM
Hokinaittii

I'm expecting Ristolainen to take a big step this year.

Hokinaittii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 11:05 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 11 14 View Post
Anybody have ideas for assistants? I know Capuano's name has come up. Woods, Ward, Allen, and Murray are still up in the air. Don't know if he'd dip into his 2013 WJC staff, but if he did his assistants were:

David Lassonde - Associate head coach at Dartmouth
Mark Osiecki - Associate head coach at Wisconsin, formally head coach at Ohio State and spent time with the Rockford IceHogs
Grant Potulny - Head coach of Northern Michigan

I know these names don't necessarily mean anything but since Housley is a first-time head coach I'm trying to find any connections possible. Of those 3 I'd be most intrigued by Osiecki.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre the Win View Post
He needs veterans as a first time head coach in the NHL, not a bunch of college coaches.
Besides the Capuano rumor, it wouldn't surprise me to see Arniel be an option, given that he was a former teammate of Housley's, has some NHL coaching experience and was a former Sabres' assistant under Ruff that contributed to the PP success at the time. Arniel may be holding out for a HC stint but that may never come again....

I know it's a sentimental choice but I wish Ramsey would consider coming back. His kids have to be grown now and it's been several years since he left Lemaire's crew in Minnesota. If we really want to repair the defense, Rammer and Howie would be two great coaches for it.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 10:36 AM
BarbadosSlim

BarbadosSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 10:40 AM
26CornerBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbadosSlim View Post