Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Jets Goaltending General Discussion Vol. 2

Closed Thread

Old
06-18-2017, 08:37 PM
Pongs21

vCash: 50
Speculation that Mrazek left off the protected list due to attitude issues..
https://www.thescore.com/news/1320875

Old
06-18-2017, 08:43 PM
almostawake

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebendan View Post
Hypothetical:

Suppose VGK select Raanta, and then tell the Jets they're willing to trade Raanta for Comrie. Should the Jets do that trade?
Personally, would do it in a heart beat.

The gap between promising AHL goaltender and top quality backup with starter potential is huge in my opinion.

Goaltending development is ridiculously noisy process. How many starters around the league were drafted and developed by their current team. What percentage of successful NHL goaltenders ever start for their drafting team before moving on.

I'd expect to be adding significantly to Comrie to land Raanta though.

Like, LV can get Subban through the XD and although flawed, he is still a much higher upside prospect than Comrie.

Old
06-18-2017, 08:45 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongs21 View Post
Speculation that Mrazek left off the protected list due to attitude issues..
https://www.thescore.com/news/1320875
Best place for Mrazek is one where they have a goaltending coach that he will immediately respect. Tonnes of upside there but needs to find his guru.

Old
06-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Festinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Best place for Mrazek is one where they have a goaltending coach that he will immediately respect. Tonnes of upside there but needs to find his guru.
If he has attitude issues, you can forget about him coming to the Jets lol. We're not exactly Canadiens level, but don't think management, coaching and now the dressing room they've created will be having any of that.

Old
06-18-2017, 09:09 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinator View Post
If he has attitude issues, you can forget about him coming to the Jets lol. We're not exactly Canadiens level, but don't think management, coaching and now the dressing room they've created will be having any of that.
His attitude problem is that he is cocky and over confident. Goalies are super strange to begin with and the kind of issues he has aren't going to cause problems in the dressing room, they're just going to hurt his own effectiveness.

Having said that, he is a bad fit because we lack a goaltending coach that would command his respect. But I think any team with such a coach, regardless of locker room standards, would take him on.

Old
06-18-2017, 09:29 PM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festinator View Post
Okay with that I'll let my Finnish bias go crazy and raise Raanta as the #1 option.

Old
06-18-2017, 09:57 PM
D1G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
Okay with that I'll let my Finnish bias go crazy and raise Raanta as the #1 option.
Earlier poster made a great point. Vegas may take grabner and his 27 goals for 1.65 mil over raanta. Which would mean he is probably off the market. And why Calgary went with smith instead of the reported of them being in the hunt for raanta

Old
06-18-2017, 10:01 PM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1G View Post
Earlier poster made a great point. Vegas may take grabner and his 27 goals for 1.65 mil over raanta. Which would mean he is probably off the market. And why Calgary went with smith instead of the reported of them being in the hunt for raanta
He had 9 goals 18 points the year before, 13 points in 34 games the year before.
Which 1 has more trade value, Raanta or Grabner?

But again if Chevy goes calling and asks them to pick Raanta for certain price someone else has to beat that offer for them to take Grabner.

Old
06-18-2017, 10:01 PM
D1G

I'm thinking now that Pickard is exposed. He makes the most sense. Won't have to give up much for him and has 1 year left at 1 mil. Not saying I want him. Just fits because he is cheap and I still feel it's Hellys net to lose

Old
06-18-2017, 10:15 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet/Moose Fan

vCash: 525
The Jets should have traded Pavelec for Halak last year when Halak was getting shipped down. I believe Halak had 2 years left and Pavelec one, so it would have saved the NYI a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
If Chevy had made that trade for Mike Smith he would have been roasted on these boards. Smith is not the saviour. He's crap. I say good job Chevy for not acquiring him.
Mike Smith is past his prime. Anything more than 1 year is a bad deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
Yes, but they had Celebrity Power(tm) on their side.

Honestly, after listening to yet another chicken-fried rendition of the anthem by Faith Hill, and watching hubby do his "look at me, I'm a celebrity too, and I can wave towels!" thing, I actually found myself wanting Pittsburgh to just put an end to Music City's dreams.
I got sick of Nashville really quickly. Their controlled cheers were worse than high school teams. Hopefully they miss the playoffs next year.

Old
06-18-2017, 10:42 PM
gnp

Jet's Should Acquire Raanta or Grubauer !!!

This is really a "no brainer" here- the Jet's "need" a goaltender, and they have the pieces to trade LV in order to get one. The Jets are rich in top young prospects, but "very poor" in goaltenders.

Raanta and Grubauer will likely be available to LV should they want these guys. Right now Chevy should place a call to LV- GM- Mc Vie and make a deal. Just tell LV that the Jets will give up their 1-st round pick, and maybe a guy like Petan ??? and in turn LV would send the Jets- Raanta or Grubauer. Very good deal for the Jets, as a lot of first round picks don't pan out, and Petan may turn out decent, but the goaltender in return is worth it. Glen Sather has always had a good eye for talent, since he built the old great Oiler team, and his New York team, I truly respect his eye for talent.(he obviouslylikes Raanta)

Now we must realize "goaltending" is the final piece the Jet's need to have an NHL - Stanley Cup contending team. MAF- Fleury is to old and way to expensive-let LV have him. He lost his job to Murray- a goalie from Thunder Bay, and Pittsburgh went on to win the Cup. The Jet's need a good young ambitious goalie, that will bond with the youth on the team- your looking at Raanta or Grubauer here, as they both have great save percentages as backups-like 92 % plus.

Chevy it's time to pull the trigger here, and make this expansion LV draft work to the Jet's benefit. LV has a lot of power to get really good goalies, so use their power, and trade off a little of our "surplus" power. Do not leave this goaltending situation "not addressed." If a team has 2 "great goalies" they can only protect "one."

It gives me the creeps, and shivers when I read posters say on here, that whatever Goalie the Jet's acquire, he should "backup Helly"- what a joke !! This Helly guy has been pulled out of more games last year than any other goalie in the NHL. Can people not see, he has no confidence at all, and I question his reflexes, and lateral movement. If you want to see a Goalie with quick reflexes, just watch Rinnie-Nashvilles goalie. Lightning quick, and the reason they got to the Cup.

The very very best Helly should get- is to have a chance to compete for a "backup spot" against Hutch, to backup our newly acquired goaltender. This is the most critical area the Jet's "must fix."

Old
06-18-2017, 10:48 PM
D1G

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
This is really a "no brainer" here- the Jet's "need" a goaltender, and they have the pieces to trade LV in order to get one. The Jets are rich in top young prospects, but "very poor" in goaltenders.

Raanta and Grubauer will likely be available to LV should they want these guys. Right now Chevy should place a call to LV- GM- Mc Vie and make a deal. Just tell LV that the Jets will give up their 1-st round pick, and maybe a guy like Petan ??? and in turn LV would send the Jets- Raanta or Grubauer. Very good deal for the Jets, as a lot of first round picks don't pan out, and Petan may turn out decent, but the goaltender in return is worth it. Glen Sather has always had a good eye for talent, since he built the old great Oiler team, and his New York team, I truly respect his eye for talent.(he obviouslylikes Raanta)

Now we must realize "goaltending" is the final piece the Jet's need to have an NHL - Stanley Cup contending team. MAF- Fleury is to old and way to expensive-let LV have him. He lost his job to Murray- a goalie from Thunder Bay, and Pittsburgh went on to win the Cup. The Jet's need a good young ambitious goalie, that will bond with the youth on the team- your looking at Raanta or Grubauer here, as they both have great save percentages as backups-like 92 % plus.

Chevy it's time to pull the trigger here, and make this expansion LV draft work to the Jet's benefit. LV has a lot of power to get really good goalies, so use their power, and trade off a little of our "surplus" power. Do not leave this goaltending situation "not addressed." If a team has 2 "great goalies" they can only protect "one."

It gives me the creeps, and shivers when I read posters say on here, that whatever Goalie the Jet's acquire, he should "backup Helly"- what a joke !! This Helly guy has been pulled out of more games last year than any other goalie in the NHL. Can people not see, he has no confidence at all, and I question his reflexes, and lateral movement. If you want to see a Goalie with quick reflexes, just watch Rinnie-Nashvilles goalie. Lightning quick, and the reason they got to the Cup.

The very very best Helly should get- is to have a chance to compete for a "backup spot" against Hutch, to backup our newly acquired goaltender. This is the most critical area the Jet's "must fix."
I agree with all of this. I posted a while ago that I don't think Helly is a number one. But the sad thing is there is no way Chevy over pays( with a first) to make sure he gets a real goalie. League min back up or a goalie like Pickard that will let Helly keep the number one spot is what will happen

Old
06-18-2017, 11:02 PM
gnp

Quote:
I agree with all of this. I posted a while ago that I don't think Helly is a number one. But the sad thing is there is no way Chevy over pays( with a first) to make sure he gets a real goalie. League min back up or a goalie like Pickard that will let Helly keep the number one spot is what will happen
Right on Dig !!! -it's nice to see someone like you that can size up talent, and that thinks like me on this issue. I don't agree that Chevy-"would not" give up a # 1 draft pick. He'd be crazy not to. Even first round picks-that are "first overall" do not turn out.( Nale Yakupov and others)

I respect Chevy's patience, and the way he's built the club thru the draft. Also I like the way he got rid of Ladd, and now Enstrom-to expensive for the value they return. The only thing I'd like to see in Chevy, is to "make a deal" and pull the trigger on a key trade, when it's urgently needed.

Old
06-18-2017, 11:05 PM
Weezeric

Quote:

I take it you think that the habs should've stuck with halak and traded price?

Old
06-18-2017, 11:09 PM
D1G

Quote:
Right on Dig !!! -it's nice to see someone like you that can size up talent, and that thinks like me on this issue. I don't agree that Chevy-"would not" give up a # 1 draft pick. He'd be crazy not to. Even first round picks-that are first overall do not turn out.
My view on Helly is that he is a goalie that gets in front of the puck. his own words are " big and boring ." He has excelled at every level up to the NHL but his lack of speed in all areas( lateral, arms and legs more specifically) stops him from stopping the shots from NHL players that can snipe the best in the world. He has been exposed right in front of our eyes and I hope Chevy sees that too.

With all of that said I still think it's his crease and we will get a back up for him at most this off season. I've said before Maurice and Chevy said goaltending needs to be better. They did not say it was going to come from outside the organization

Old
06-18-2017, 11:11 PM
D1G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezeric View Post
I take it you think that the habs should've stuck with halak and traded price?
That's completely different. Price was a very athletic goalie and his type of goalie transitions to the NHL way easier then " big and boring " probably 70 percent of starting goalies in the NHL are the athletic type. Big and boring only make it when they are elite.

Old
06-18-2017, 11:32 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Hypothetical:

Suppose VGK select Raanta, and then tell the Jets they're willing to trade Raanta for Comrie. Should the Jets do that trade?
In the proverbial heartbeat!

Old
06-18-2017, 11:39 PM
gnp

Quote:
Hypothetical:

LV would have to be crazy to do a deal like that !!! The GM would lose his job-"does not" make any sense at all. Comrie- totally not proven.

Old
06-18-2017, 11:56 PM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
LV would have to be crazy to do a deal like that !!! The GM would lose his job-"does not" make any sense at all. Comrie- totally not proven.
Vegas needs waiver exempt prospects...gotta stock those cupboards. They also must draft at least 3 goalies in the XD. So they might very well want to flip their most expendable backup for a promising goalie prospect. Whether Comrie's a prospect they want is debatable...

Old
06-19-2017, 07:18 AM
BB88

These goalies aren't worth the 13th overall, 2nd+ should be the target.
If they can get one for that price and draft a D-prospect with the 13th I believe the team is pretty well set.

Old
06-19-2017, 07:19 AM
Eyeseeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
These goalies aren't worth the 13th overall, 2nd+ should be the target.
They aren't worth it agreed but it may be what it takes.

Old
06-19-2017, 07:32 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
That's completely different. Price was a very athletic goalie and his type of goalie transitions to the NHL way easier then " big and boring " probably 70 percent of starting goalies in the NHL are the athletic type. Big and boring only make it when they are elite.
They don't ask how they ask how many (goals, wins, saves, it's all the same)

Raanta and grubaur are no different then helly after his first season in the NHL.

I'd like either, but not at the cost of a first.

I'd say there's at least a 50-50 chance helly comes in and is solid this season as a starter.

He's big, has solid positioning, and has excelled at all levels in his career except for 40 games in the NHL.

I wouldn't close the book on any goalie with that career thus far. It's very similar to price e after his second season and a guy like bobrovsky.

Old
06-19-2017, 07:35 AM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
It's all about the competition on teams assets and Chevy has lot of options. He should be able to get a goalie from one of New York/Washington/Detroit without a 1st.

I'd rather use 2nd+ forward prospect who's not going to have a spot on the top9.

Old
06-19-2017, 08:08 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeseeing View Post
Incredibly unlikely.

LV has Fleury locked in as their starter and they'll pick from Grubauer, Raanta and Pickard for their backup spot.

That leaves 2 of Grubauer, Raanta and Pickard available, plus Mrazek. There aren't three teams around the league willing to give up 1st round picks for those guys. I don't think there is even one to be honest. But there certainly isn't 3.

The situation would be different if LV needed these players, but the reality is these players are all more/less* free.

*the only mitigating factor here is really just what else they could pick from the exposed list of NYR, WSH, COL or DET. Which, to be blunt, is worth nowhere near a 1st.

Old
06-19-2017, 08:11 AM
D1G

How many people will defend Chevy if my thoughts are correct and he works out a deal with Vegas to pick Pickard and trade him to us ?

Closed Thread