Keep Enstrom or not [Enstrom waived NMC for XD]

Old
06-18-2017, 09:06 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bromine View Post
TSN talking about how Enstrom is really appealing to LV.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/jets-ens...-vegas~1149109

I really hope we don't lose Enstrom and Chevy really did make a side deal to keep him. Other side deals are meeting leaked out from other teams, but we haven't heard anything about Enstrom. I hope it's just the Jets being tight lipped as usual.
I am hoping there is no additional prospect or pick in play in order to retain Enstrom. I am hoping the discussion with McPhee was along the lines of...

We have 5 forwards we really want to keep (Scheif, Little, Wheeler, Perreault and Lowry) and to do that we will be exposing Enstrom. We don't want you to take Enstrom, so tell us which (if any) of the remaining forwards will fit your needs, and you will agree to take. McPhee says Dano (cause he's a crazy bugger that traded Forsberg for Erat), Chevy says done deal. Chevy sits down with Dano and his agent, explains that Maurice thinks he's a lazy **** that will never play here and that LV offers a chance for a fresh start elsewhere, and they work out a suitable contract to make him available to LV.

Coulda happened. Nobody can prove differently.

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:30 PM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Wonder if Postma's rights could be part of a deal. Dano + Postma's right pre-July 1 in order to not pick Enstrom. Just a thought.

drumzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 10:06 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Yeah, I don't buy the TSN take that Enstrom is a valuable asset.

1: He's on the record he doesn't want to play there. What's stopping him from heading back to Sweden?

2: Vegas will easily make the cap floor. They only need to average something like 1.5 mill per player to reach it.

3: Even if he does go to Vegas for a half season for a trade, his NMC will still be in effect.

4: Speaking of Contract, you'd only get 1 year of Toby. If I'm drafting for Vegas, I want players that can stick out a few years, to get our home grown talent up to snuff. One year of control is very unappealing for me.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 10:14 PM
lanky

If they pick Toby it's because they think they can flip him for a good pick at the deadline, even though he has a NMC. I think Dano is valuable enough that they don't need to go down that road.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 11:11 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
Wonder if Postma's rights could be part of a deal. Dano + Postma's right pre-July 1 in order to not pick Enstrom. Just a thought.
Doesn't LV get a few days exclusive dealing witb UFA's prior to July 1? Makes
Postma's rights worthless.

Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 11:13 PM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Yeah, I don't buy the TSN take that Enstrom is a valuable asset.

1: He's on the record he doesn't want to play there. What's stopping him from heading back to Sweden?

2: Vegas will easily make the cap floor. They only need to average something like 1.5 mill per player to reach it.

3: Even if he does go to Vegas for a half season for a trade, his NMC will still be in effect.

4: Speaking of Contract, you'd only get 1 year of Toby. If I'm drafting for Vegas, I want players that can stick out a few years, to get our home grown talent up to snuff. One year of control is very unappealing for me.
You left out his age. He is soon 33. I'd bet VGK don't draft a single player as old as Enstrom.

Old
06-18-2017, 11:23 PM
gnp

I'd Let Enstrom Go !!!

This is a "peach" of a deal for the Jets, if LV takes Enstrom. He's simply not big enough to move out the big 6' 4" forwards in front of the net. He's also getting older, and more injury prone.

Don't forget the Jet's won their last 7 games straight, to close the regular season-"without Enstrom" in the lineup. Toby is just not worth $5.5 mil per season, and that money should be banked to sign Trouba, Ehlers, and other promising young stars.

Most I'd pay Toby is around $ 2 to $ 2.5, as a third line defenceman.

Last edited by gnp: 06-19-2017 at 12:08 AM.
gnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 11:29 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH

vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnp View Post
This is a "peach" of a deal for the Jets, if LV takes Enstrom. He's simply not big enough to move out the big 6' 4" forwards in front of the net. He's also getting older, and more injury prone.

Don't forget the Jet's won their last 7 games straight, to close the regular season. Toby is just not worth it, and that money should be banked to sign Trouba, Ehlers, and other promising young stars.

Most I'd pay Toby is around $ 2 to $ 2.5, as a third line defenceman.
If LV took enstorm, it would be a disaster for the jets. I'll ignore his rank as a good defenseman, and just ask a question I have yet to get an answer to from people trying to push him out the door:

We're already looking for defensive help, so what are the two LHD that we will get to replace him? Have you looked at the FA class this year? Hainsey is the third best.

Ultimately, if LV wants to, they can screw over the Jets, but that would make their own team weaker down the road.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 11:39 PM
bromine

vCash: 50
^Agree completely.

Say what you want about Enstrom. Bottom line is we have no one to replace him.

bromine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:17 AM
Aavco Cup

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
Their exclusive window is already open. It closes once the XD picks are announced. Then they are just like every other team courting free agents. It think that opens for every team on June 25

Aavco Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 02:00 AM
Lempo
I heart Toby Enström

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aavco Cup View Post
Their exclusive window is already open. It closes once the XD picks are announced. Then they are just like every other team courting free agents. It think that opens for every team on June 25
Technically 10 am ET Wed. The picks are announced later that day in the Show, but obviously the league will need some time to ensure that all the moves that are submitted to the league at 10 am are compliant to the rules.

edit: unless if by "announced" you meant announced to the league, in that case you're absolutely right.

Last edited by Lempo: 06-19-2017 at 02:10 AM.
Lempo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 03:56 AM
ffh

Quote:
If LV took enstorm, it would be a disaster for the jets. I'll ignore his rank as a good defenseman, and just ask a question I have yet to get an answer to from people trying to push him out the door:

We're already looking for defensive help, so what are the two LHD that we will get to replace him? Have you looked at the FA class this year? Hainsey is the third best.

Ultimately, if LV wants to, they can screw over the Jets, but that would make their own team weaker down the road.
doubt we are looking for defensive help. our top 4 is pretty much set as trouba buff Morrissey and myers with enstrom and everybody else we have as 3rd pairing. the fact we could have lost a good player and protected enstrom just to have him walk out the door as a free agent never seemed like something the jets wanted to consider. even if we lose enstrom our top 4 is more than fine and finding a 3rd pairing dman should be doable. having said that I think enstrom stays.

ffh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 04:38 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffh View Post
doubt we are looking for defensive help. our top 4 is pretty much set as trouba buff Morrissey and myers with enstrom and everybody else we have as 3rd pairing. the fact we could have lost a good player and protected enstrom just to have him walk out the door as a free agent never seemed like something the jets wanted to consider. even if we lose enstrom our top 4 is more than fine and finding a 3rd pairing dman should be doable. having said that I think enstrom stays.
Strongly disagree. If we lose Enstrom, who of Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers play their off side.

Trouba is the most effective of the three there, but if you play him there it pretty much guarantees he's going to walk.

Byfuglien has plenty of soft power within the organization and I don't see him being moved there.

Myers is awful on his off side IIRC.

Also, counting on Myers to play more than 40 games is probably pretty ambitious at this point in time.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 04:49 AM
ffh

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Strongly disagree. If we lose Enstrom, who of Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers play their off side.

Trouba is the most effective of the three there, but if you play him there it pretty much guarantees he's going to walk.

Byfuglien has plenty of soft power within the organization and I don't see him being moved there.

Myers is awful on his off side IIRC.

Also, counting on Myers to play more than 40 games is probably pretty ambitious at this point in time.
I don't think myers will play 1 shift on the 3rd pairing this year. nor should he. trouba is walking anyways lets not kid ourselves and enstrom is just as likely to play 40 games as myers is. plus I don't see how this team buries 9 million dollars on the 3rd pairing and pb on 2 dmen then goes out and spends 3 or 4 million more on a dman. honestly i think trouba or myers will be moved before season starts for a ld.

edit. the other day chevy said myers was a top 4 dman. so if he is ready to go and there is no reason to believe he isn't look for him to be in the top 4.

Last edited by ffh: 06-19-2017 at 04:59 AM.
Old
06-19-2017, 08:17 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
I'm saying they can get both Dano and Postma. If they sign Postma during exclusive window he'd be their Jets pick and wouldn't get Dano. If they get Postma's rights in addition to picking Dano in XD, they can sign Postma up to Jul 1.

Last edited by drumzan: 06-19-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old
06-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Guffman
Strait is Great!

Quote:

The best way to get a LHD is through LV over the next few days, not via UFA.

Either Winnipeg already arranged a deal with LV to pass on Enstrom or they can make a deal with LV... something like a third round pick to pass on Enstrom and take Dano. Better for both franchises.

Guffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Mortimer Snerd
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzan View Post
I'm saying they can get both Dano and Postma. If they sign Postma during exclusive window he'd be their Jets pick and wouldn't get Dano. If they get Postma's rights in addition to picking Dano in XD, they can sign Postma up to Jul 1.
Right, I get it. But Postma's rights still aren't worth anything. There isn't going to be a bidding war for him in UFA. If they want him they will just sign him.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:42 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Right, I get it. But Postma's rights still aren't worth anything. There isn't going to be a bidding war for him in UFA. If they want him they will just sign him.
Conditional 5th in 2018.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:53 AM
drumzan
#NHLJets

Quote:
Solid RHD's don't grow on trees in the NHL.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:07 AM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

I really don't see Enstrom as having a ton of value to Vegas. I don't doubt Vegas would ask for something to stay away - and maybe the price was just exposing Dano instead of Copp.

But Vegas isn't going to take Enstrom just to screw the Jets. It's not worth it to burn bridges with Winnipeg while simultaneously shooting themselves in the foot by taking a 33 year old player on an expiring deal with an NMC who doesn't want to be there.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gm0ney View Post
I really don't see Enstrom as having a ton of value to Vegas. I don't doubt Vegas would ask for something to stay away - and maybe the price was just exposing Dano instead of Copp.

But Vegas isn't going to take Enstrom just to screw the Jets. It's not worth it to burn bridges with Winnipeg while simultaneously shooting themselves in the foot by taking a 33 year old player on an expiring deal with an NMC who doesn't want to be there.
All things being equal I think they would probably take him. But the salary rules for the XD and the salary cap in general will likely steer them towards Dano.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:12 AM
DRW204

The only way I can see VGK taking Enstrom if there is some agreement that Enstrom will be traded at the 2018 TDL. If Hainsey can get a 2nd round pick, I am sure Enstrom at the TDL can get a better return then that or a 3rd round pick+Dano (maybe). If he is selected, the LD depth is terribad and the UFA class for 2018 is absolute abysmal. Some team is going to pay 4 mill+ 5 years + for Alzner who is setting up to be Mark Stuart 2.0.

DRW204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Aavco Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRW204 View Post
The only way I can see VGK taking Enstrom if there is some agreement that Enstrom will be traded at the 2018 TDL. If Hainsey can get a 2nd round pick, I am sure Enstrom at the TDL can get a better return then that or a 3rd round pick+Dano (maybe). If he is selected, the LD depth is terribad and the UFA class for 2018 is absolute abysmal. Some team is going to pay 4 mill+ 5 years + for Alzner who is setting up to be Mark Stuart 2.0.
If he is selected he would almost certainly either be given a contract extension or traded at the deadline. No agreement necessary. Why would Enstrom say no if given a chance to play in the playoffs?

Old
06-19-2017, 10:26 AM
Gm0ney
Unicorns salient

Quote:
All things being equal I think they would probably take him. But the salary rules for the XD and the salary cap in general will likely steer them towards Dano.
The contract situation too: 1 year of possibly unmovable $5M Enstrom vs. 4 years of ~$1M RFA Dano. And Dano's 10 years younger with some upside. Seems like the better choice for an expansion team.

Gm0ney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:30 AM
ffh

Quote:
If he is selected he would almost certainly either be given a contract extension or traded at the deadline. No agreement necessary. Why would Enstrom say no if given a chance to play in the playoffs?
maybe he wouldn't want to move 3 times in 1 year.