HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Expansion Watch: Pickard selected (Updated Rumored Selections on post #435)

View Poll Results: Who will Vegas select from the Avs?
Pickard 69 57.50%
Nieto 5 4.17%
Andrighetto 4 3.33%
Barberio 7 5.83%
Comeau 8 6.67%
Soderberg 8 6.67%
Colborne 4 3.33%
Grigorenko 10 8.33%
Grimaldi 4 3.33%
Other 1 0.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2017, 02:55 AM
Tweaky
Solid #2

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
Because Mrazek has shown, even if for just one season, that he can handle a starter workload and put up pretty good numbers as evidenced in 2015-2016.

I personally don't think Vegas takes Mrazek because Fleury has to be the guy they zero in on, and you aren't going to make Mrazek back him up, but if they didn't take Fleury McPhee would be wise to take Mrazek.
But he also proved that he can have crap seasons, even worse than Picks, playing behind a better team. Which season is the real deal with him as a starter?

Personally I think Mrazek will bounce back a bit. Just like Picks. Most folks here are confident that everyone on the team will improve from last years tire fire. Why does it seem so hard for people to give Picks the same credit? Not like he was much worse comparitively that Landy and his 33 points, or Duchene and his 41pts. Heck, picks was the best goalie we had last year, even better than the guy robbed of a Vezina a few years back (blame the injuries...but still, bad is bad).

I do believe that Mrazek is the safer pick, but as far a potential, I think Picks has a better ceiling. He has been better every year they both played, and his best season was better than Mrazek's best. The workload thing is a concern of course, which is why I consider Mrazek the safer floor.

Old
06-19-2017, 04:36 AM
raistlin76

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
My thoughts on our expansion list:

1. I get the hate for Comeau being on the protected list, but I can also make a good argument as to why he is on it. Of the main forwards that are exposed meaning Soderberg and Colborne, Soderberg has an ridiculous contract and maybe we can get lucky and Vegas will take it off our hands and Colborne is trash that Bednar hates no reason to protect him. Whereas Comeau has only 1 year left on a tolerable contract, if he rebounds we might be able to flip him at the deadline, key word is might, there might be a suitor there might not be.

2. Grigorenko not being protected shows me two things. A. the organization is through with the experiment or B. (which I think is more likely sitution) they left him exposed as a favor to Vegas to not take Pickard. Sakic could have very well of had a discussion with McPhee which led him to the decision to expose Grigorenko so that LV could have him and not Pickard.

3. Other than that no big surprises other than Grimaldi, but honestly I like his inclusion, he earned it with his big year in San Antonio. Wouldn't be too surprised to see him get a long look in training camp.
Because of the rules we have to expose two forwards with contract, so it was decision between Comeau, Soderberg and Colborne. From these three I'd also protect Comeau.

Old
06-19-2017, 05:18 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Comeau is more likely to have trade deadline value than Grigorenko or Colborne.

The only downside is that I think there is a bigger chance Vegas would claim Comeau over those two, but we'll see what happens.

Old
06-19-2017, 05:51 AM
AMDZen
ME in the RED Circle

vCash: 2000
We can't even have something seemingly innocuous, like the release of a no brainer protection list, be announced without the Avalanche organization looking like a box of tools.

Old
06-19-2017, 06:28 AM
Tweaky
Solid #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
We can't even have something seemingly innocuous, like the release of a no brainer protection list, be announced without the Avalanche organization looking like a box of tools.
And who would you have protected while still exposing the required players?

As stated, we had to exposed 2F with at least 40GP last season AND under contract for next season. Avs that meet that requirement: Mack, Duchene, Landy, Soderberg, Colborne, Comeau. That's it. Pick two to expose.

Yes, they could have signed a few guys to fill that role, but then you are stuck with them if they do not get picked...so pick one or more of the following that you would be willing to pay next year just so one or more of the above can be protected: Grigs, Bourque, Mitchell.

And if you go that route, also pick the guys that you would leave exposed in place of Soda and/or Colborne.

Or if you want to protect Barbs, then 3 of Comeau, Neito, Andrighetto and Grimaldi have to be exposed. (For me it would be pick one of Andy or Neato).

The only other realistic change IMO would be protecting Grigs over Comeau/Grimaldi ...but as consensus opinion here is let him walk, why waste a protection slot on him. I could see GBourque in place of Comeau as well, but just as unlikely to be a popular option here. Comeau at least has a chance of becoming a (late) draft pick at TDL.

Old
06-19-2017, 06:36 AM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Comeau is more likely to have trade deadline value than Grigorenko or Colborne.

The only downside is that I think there is a bigger chance Vegas would claim Comeau over those two, but we'll see what happens.
Yep, agree with those thoughts.

One thing I find somewhat heartening about the protection list is that Sakic does seem to be following up on his statements about getting faster. All of the protected players (including Grimaldi and Comeau) can skate well, while players like Grigorenko, Colborne, and Soderberg (somewhat) have some skating issues.

Based on the protection issues and the premium seemingly placed on skating, I am curious to see if that same thought process continues at the draft. It could impact a selection of let's say Vilardi over a Makar or Mittelstadt for instance.

Old
06-19-2017, 06:37 AM
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
Don't know what's wrong with our protection list but okay.

Old
06-19-2017, 06:44 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

I'm not convinced Bednar hates Grimaldi. I think the strategy for the most part last year was to keep developing players the hell away from NHL. Bigras didn't get a cop of coffee, Greer only a game or so. Compher is a bit older and more NHL ready so he got more games.

Old
06-19-2017, 06:48 AM
Bone Breaker

I liked our list. and looking at the lists from other teams, now I see some potential of maybe not losing Pickard (and for free, to make it worse). Vegas can take Soderberg or Grigorenko instead, both with some incentives for them to gamble (and see if Soderberg can bounce back or Grigorenko can mesh well with all their russians).

Old
06-19-2017, 09:31 AM
EdAVSfan

Difficult to say who gets picked.

But McGuire has stated that he expects vegas to take 4 goalies.... or at least have 4 goalies in the system.

Fleury is pretty much guaranteed. Then they have to choose a backup. It wouldn't make sense to have pickard as a 3rd goalie. He's either the backup, or not selected, IMO.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:33 AM
ItHurtsWhenIP

vCash: 1100
I just saw on twitter some guy with the username vorky who was apparently a former khl reporter is claiming that grigs doesn't want to sign here. He also said that he doesn't even want to be in North America but family is keeping him here. I'm not sure how to link on here and have no idea if this guy is credible

Old
06-19-2017, 09:47 AM
agentblack

Its funny how while yes our roster is terrible and being last is awful, if we were alot better we'd end up losing our good players anyway or we'd have to pay out the nose for VGK not to pick them

in a way having this bad season, now, kinda worked out.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:50 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

The only thing on the list I'd change is Picks and Varly. With Smith going to Calgary, I don't see anybody that would take the Varlamov risk.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Ceremony
It was dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItHurtsWhenIP View Post
I just saw on twitter some guy with the username vorky who was apparently a former khl reporter is claiming that grigs doesn't want to sign here. He also said that he doesn't even want to be in North America but family is keeping him here. I'm not sure how to link on here and have no idea if this guy is credible
There's an HF user with the same name.

06-19-2017, 09:54 AM
dahrougem2

Quote:
I'm not convinced Bednar hates Grimaldi. I think the strategy for the most part last year was to keep developing players the hell away from NHL. Bigras didn't get a cop of coffee, Greer only a game or so. Compher is a bit older and more NHL ready so he got more games.
I would agree with everything you're saying if we didn't get to see Bednar actually use Grimaldi last year. He soured on him insanely quick, I don't think he'll touch full-time NHL duties under Bednar.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:59 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
I would agree with everything you're saying if we didn't get to see Bednar actually use Grimaldi last year. He soured on him insanely quick, I don't think he'll touch full-time NHL duties under Bednar.
Agree... but Bednar really should be gone ASAP. Hopefully Sakic realizes that sooner rather than later.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:14 AM
AvsGuy
Flagrant Violater

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Agree... but Bednar really should be gone ASAP. Hopefully Sakic realizes that sooner rather than later.
This will be the thing that has the biggest impact on this franchise. I'd even bet Duchene would turn things around massively and stick around if Bednar were gone.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:35 AM
ABasin
The good old days...

Quote:
I have a feeling that the fan base believes that Jost/Compher are givens to be with the Avs from the beginning of the season, and that Greer has a good shot. I wonder how many of them will truly be with the Avs at the start of the season.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:38 AM
ABasin
The good old days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRisto View Post
Don't know what's wrong with our protection list but okay.
I would have protected Pickard. There were only 6-7 players whose loss would have really hurt the team. Otherwise....meh, whatever.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:40 AM
Avs71

What are the odds Vegas takes Soderberg? He will be 34 when his contract ends (not too old), he has basically been a 50 point center the previous three seasons before this last year. Makes less than 5 million, and has no major injury concerns. Just an effort level question.

Personally, I think their is a good chance he gets taken. We also know Vegas selected a player from the Avs after they had picked from every team. Perhaps (other than the reason the Avs had the worst exposed list) they were undecided on if they could fit Soderberg in cap wise, so they left him to the end.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:52 AM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
What are the odds Vegas takes Soderberg? He will be 34 when his contract ends (not too old), he has basically been a 50 point center the previous three seasons before this last year. Makes less than 5 million, and has no major injury concerns. Just an effort level question.

Personally, I think their is a good chance he gets taken. We also know Vegas selected a player from the Avs after they had picked from every team. Perhaps (other than the reason the Avs had the worst exposed list) they were undecided on if they could fit Soderberg in cap wise, so they left him to the end.
Is there a link for this? First I hear about this.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:53 AM
Semyon Vezinamov
Mulan Szechuan Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post

How do we know this?

All I have read states Vegas hasn't really made up their minds on anyone yet because they are seeing if there are exposed players that another team wants that they can flip or squeeze a pick from the team not to select their player.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Avs44

Exposing Pickard was silly.

Old
06-19-2017, 11:01 AM
Balthazar
Someone

Button and Seravalli draft the Golden Knights

Both have the VGK drafting Pickard.