HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Anaheim and Expansion - Why the Ducks are in great shape ‎(pt2)

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2017, 09:38 AM
ColdSteel2

vCash: 50
I'm guessing Bieksa is licking his chops at the idea of getting into the Ducks top 4 after the dust settles.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:42 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSteel2 View Post
I'm guessing Bieksa is licking his chops at the idea of getting into the Ducks top 4 after the dust settles.
Yeah he really seems like the type who'd be be more interested in playing time than winning a Cup while he still has the chance. Especially after he demanded a NMC to make sure he remains with a contender.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If they didn't agree with the Ducks on a deal beforehand, the Ducks would have bought out Bieska and traded Vatanen.
I think the Ducks must have a deal as evidenced by Manson being left unprotected but....

Bieksa has earned the right to not waive his NTC. He is also injured which means that a buyout was not possible.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:44 AM
ColdSteel2

Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
Yeah he really seems like the type who'd be be more interested in playing time than winning a Cup while he still has the chance. Especially after he demanded a NMC to make sure he remains with a contender.
He's probably thinking he'll help lead the Ducks to a Cup playing big minutes. I'm sure he believes in himself more than the fans do.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:45 AM
dracom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
I think the Ducks must have a deal as evidenced by Manson being left unprotected but....

Bieksa has earned the right to not waive his NTC. He is also injured which means that a buyout was not possible.
I know it's not a big deal, but it's a NMC not a NTC.

Also, if we could buy out Despres, we could buyout Bieksa.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:45 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:

People keep saying he's ineligible for a buyout yet no one has shown me a credible source saying as much. He was cleared to play at the end of the season.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:48 AM
Whileee

The Ducks might have engineered things so that they don't get hammered in the expansion draft, but the reasoning put forward in the OP for this thread (in part 1) is pretty much shredded.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:54 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
The Ducks might have engineered things so that they don't get hammered in the expansion draft, but the reasoning put forward in the OP for this thread (in part 1) is pretty much shredded.
How do you figure exactly? I pointed out the avenues that Anaheim could have used to leave Vegas with nothing. Instead the two sides have reached an agreement that doesn't force Anaheim to do that. The entire premise was that the Ducks didn't have to lose a core player for free like people were suggesting and it appears as though that is not happening.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:08 AM
ColdSteel2

Quote:
How do you figure exactly? I pointed out the avenues that Anaheim could have used to leave Vegas with nothing. Instead the two sides have reached an agreement that doesn't force Anaheim to do that. The entire premise was that the Ducks didn't have to lose a core player for free like people were suggesting and it appears as though that is not happening.
If Anaheim could have engineered things in such a way where Vegas would get nothing, why would they choose this route instead?

Old
06-19-2017, 10:09 AM
ScarTroy

vCash: 700
Quote:
I appreciate you continue to try to explain this to people who just don't get it. I would not have the patience to do so.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:16 AM
lwvs84

Send a message via AIM to lwvs84
I think the most simple scenario is the Ducks were offered two prices for Vatanen, one pre-ED and one post. To keep it simple, say the first deal was a 1st for Vatanen and the second was a 1st+2nd+3rd (for taking up a protection slot). Ducks go to Vegas and tell them there's a deal for Vatanen so they have a choice, the Ducks can buy out or have Bieksa waive his NMC, protect Manson, and trade Vatanen leaving Vegas with the unprotected players or the Ducks will give them a 2nd round pick to take the player they would anyways if they don't select Vatanen/Manson (lets say Kerdiles). Now Vegas gets Kerdiles+2nd instead of just the Kerdiles, Ducks get a 1st+3rd instead of just a 1st, and none of the Bieksa stuff needs to happen. Vegas agrees to this deal a week or two before Bieksa has to waive so the Ducks can just protect him, Fowler, and Lindholm instead of asking him to waive.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:18 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Because if BM has any brain at all, he has already had a discussion with McPhee and that is the agreed upon trade.

If there is no trade in place, then you would have seen them trade Vatanen and ask Bieksa to waive. Since none of those things happened, logic says they didn't need to jump thru all the hoops. They instead, came to an agreement with McPhee on a deal that benefits Vegas long term.

People forget that if the Ducks had traded Vatanen, asked or bought out Bieksa, then Vegas is left picking Vermette, or a whole bunch of lesser guys. Instead, Murray goes to McPhee and says instead of doing this and weakening the Ducks AND VEGAS, agree on a lesser trade.

The only team who wins if the a Ducks had jumped thru the hoops....would be the 3rd team. This way Vegas gets a better player than Vermette and Co. I fully expect they get Larssin....maybe Theo. But Larsson and maybe a pick is realistic.

So a Vegas gets good prospects/picks, the Ducks keep the team in tact, and team #3 does not get Vatanen/Manson.

And if Murray didn't do this and instead just loses one of Vats/Manson, then his is just a dumb ****er. I just can't see it.
This guy gets it.

I think it's pretty telling that something has been done for a while when the team didn't even bother asking Bieksa to waive. If Bieksa refused to waive, than I'd be a nervous wreck right now. However, him not even being asked to waive, and Vatanen still here makes me feel at ease that something has already been done.

Personally I will be disappointed if we trade Theodore or Larsson as part of the "convenience fee", but considering both players are buried on the depth chart; it wouldn't be too big of a blow.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:21 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
If Anaheim could have engineered things in such a way where Vegas would get nothing, why would they choose this route instead?
I believe Murray has paid a reasonable price now because he believes (or knows) it will get him a more ideal trade for Vatanen later.

Basically the big difference in perception here is that people see Manson and Vatanen on the list and think OMG Anaheim will have to pay a huge price to get Vegas to pass on them, but in reality I don't believe those two names ever end up unprotected if there's no deal in place. Vegas will likely get an asset or two much more valuable than the nothing they could have ended up with, but I'm confident that if McPhee demanded a massive premium he would have just been forcing Murray to make the moves to leave Vegas with squat.

If you're McPhee and Murray tells you that Bieksa is prepared to waive or that he'll buy him out if he doesn't, and that he has a deal in hand for Vatanen that he's ready to take, but would prefer to deal him later....Do you

A) Demand a huge premium and force the Ducks to make those moves and leave you a choice of depth pieces worth no more than a mid round pick.

Or

B) Come to a mutually beneficial agreement that gets you some more attractive B assets in exchange for not forcing the Ducks hand?

Old
06-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwvs84 View Post
I think the most simple scenario is the Ducks were offered two prices for Vatanen, one pre-ED and one post. To keep it simple, say the first deal was a 1st for Vatanen and the second was a 1st+2nd+3rd (for taking up a protection slot). Ducks go to Vegas and tell them there's a deal for Vatanen so they have a choice, the Ducks can buy out or have Bieksa waive his NMC, protect Manson, and trade Vatanen leaving Vegas with the unprotected players or the Ducks will give them a 2nd round pick to take the player they would anyways if they don't select Vatanen/Manson (lets say Kerdiles). Now Vegas gets Kerdiles+2nd instead of just the Kerdiles, Ducks get a 1st+3rd instead of just a 1st, and none of the Bieksa stuff needs to happen. Vegas agrees to this deal a week or two before Bieksa has to waive so the Ducks can just protect him, Fowler, and Lindholm instead of asking him to waive.
I honestly don't think Vatanen has much to do with the deal, at all.

I think it was Murray saying "look, I'm obviously not going to lose Manson or Vatanen for nothing. I've got offers for both right now. I'd rather not rush this though. We can work something out, or you can have your pick of Vermette or Kerdiles" clearly the two only decent options.

Edit: Murray and GMGM have been talking for over a month now according to Murray.

Honestly, it appears that Murray set himself up pretty by simply addressing this early. I'm not going to get too excited just yet, as I'm a bit worried we'll lose Theodore or Larsson (IMO that's overpayment), but I'm not worried at all about losing Manson or Vatanen.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:24 AM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Yeah but the premise is stretched very, very thin. Just a couple of things accepted as matter of fact that arent so clear:

1) The buy out of Beiksa is not some given thing. First it would cost cap penalties to Anahiem (already near the cap), second Murray obviously really values him alot so I doubt would want to buy him out

2) Yes they could trade Vat/Manson and then protect the other after buying out Beiksa (which is not a gimmy). But given the situation of many teaqms around the league already struggling to protect all their good D, the number of teams able to make a deal for another D is shrunk significantly. You are likely looking at 10 teams that could plausibly make a deal. When there is a small market, players are traded at a discount. Ducks want to contend now, so potentially the only assets offered up were futures

So if Murray was try to leave Vegas with nothing, the cost of doing that is:
-Bieksas cap penalty for buy out (if he would have even done it at all)
-The discount from trading a D in this environment

Those costs have to be compared to the costs of dealing assets to Vegas to not take either Vat or Manson. Which ever one is more cost effective, you go with that one. And both have big costs. just one has slightly lower costs. Although from an Oilers POV its tough to chose what to want because both are in same division. Vegas can bend the Ducks over and negatively affect an Oilers direct competition. Or the Ducks can come out ahead and McPhee could fail at taking advantage of the Ducks, resulting in a weaker team. So Oilers get to play a worse off team plenty in the upcoming years

Old
06-19-2017, 10:30 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceboogie View Post
Yeah but the premise is stretched very, very thin. Just a couple of things accepted as matter of fact that arent so clear:

1) The buy out of Beiksa is not some given thing. First it would cost cap penalties to Anahiem (already near the cap), second Murray obviously really values him alot so I doubt would want to buy him out

2) Yes they could trade Vat/Manson and then protect the other after buying out Beiksa (which is not a gimmy). But given the situation of many teaqms around the league already struggling to protect all their good D, the number of teams able to make a deal for another D is shrunk significantly. You are likely looking at 10 teams that could plausibly make a deal. When there is a small market, players are traded at a discount. Ducks want to contend now, so potentially the only assets offered up were futures

-The discount from trading a D in this enviroment

Those costs have to be compared to the costs of dealing assets to Vegas to not take either Vat or Manson. Which ever one is more cost effective, you go with that one. And both have big costs. just one has slightly lower costs
You are unable to prove that Bieksa wasn't willing to waive his NMC and thay this deal wasn't reached under those parameters.

Bieksa's $4M stays on the books this season no matter what. Buying him out and replacing that spot with a cheap depth D is such a minimal cap impact, not something you pay a premium to avoid if it comes to that.

Every indication from credible sources had a strong market for Vatanen, but I'm not denying that a more ideal return can likely be found post expansion. That's likely Murray's motivation for this trade.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Aceboogie

Quote:
You are unable to prove that Bieksa wasn't willing to waive his NMC and thay this deal wasn't reached under those parameters.

Bieksa's $4M stays on the books this season no matter what. Buying him out and replacing that spot with a cheap depth D is such a minimal cap impact, not something you pay a premium to avoid if it comes to that.

Every indication from credible sources had a strong market for Vatanen, but I'm not denying that a more ideal return can likely be found post expansion. That's likely Murray's motivation for this trade.
1. And you are unable to prove he was willing to wave
2. Cap penalties are spread over 2 years, so negative impactions in year 2. This is not the primary concern tho, Murray not wanting to buy out Bieksa is still #1. One assumption is Murray went over and above to not require Bieksa to waive or ask him to do it. But at what cost?
3. There is a market for Vatanen 100% but its a discount from what itd be post draft and potentially not return what Murray wants (wants Ducks to contend now, not get futures)

I dont know what Murray will or wont do, noone does. These are just counter considerations that I see a lack of in this thread

Old
06-19-2017, 10:40 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
2. Cap penalties are spread over 2 years
3. There is a market for Vatanen 100% but its a discount from what itd be post draft and potentially not return what Murray wants (wants Ducks to contend now, not get futures)

I dont know what Murray will or wont do, noone does. These are just counter considerations that I see a lack of in this thread
Bieksa falls under 35+ rules for buyouts. The Ducks would owe him 2/3s paid out over two years, but the cap penalty would just be his $4M staying on the books for the year. So again you're just talking about a minimal increase to buy him out and replace the spot with a cheap depth D, which is not something you pay a premium to avoid, and that's all assuming he wasn't willing to waive.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:

You don't know that's he's injured enough to prevent a buyout. Look at what happened with Despres who everyone assumed couldn't be bought out.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:46 AM
TMLFC
Registered abuser

Scenario;

The Leafs have a deal in place for Vatanen. But did not want to lose Connor Carrick via ED. A deal was done with Vegas- Via Anaheim to leave (already traded) Vatanen alone.
Anaheim also expanded it to Bieksa buyout saving and leaving Manson alone.

Leafs give a small kick to Anaheim for doing it after ED and saving Carrick. (I.e extra pick on top of Vatanen trade)

End of day Ducks lose value of saving money on Bieksa buyout and favour for not touching both Vatanen + Manson. (Deal isn't huge, because players would not be available to Vegas in normal situation - so free prospect/pick for Vegas just for showing up )

Old
06-19-2017, 11:04 AM
ColdSteel2

I'm trying to see Anaheim's side of this, but the part I just still cannot wrap my head around is why wouldn't they expose Bieksa with the understanding by all parties that Bieksa would not be selected?

Old
06-19-2017, 11:09 AM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

HFDucks is glad to announce that TSN's Darren Dreger is now a part of the "delusional Ducks fanbase in spin mode", on account of him saying (LINK)...:

Quote:
For instance, we know... when you look at Josh Manson or Sami Vatanen of the Anaheim Ducks being left unprotected by the Ducks... I mean, come on. They're going to leave Sami Vatanen unprotected? Clearly there's a deal in the desk drawer with the Vegas Golden Knights. I don't know what it is - it's been speculated it's Clayton Stoner who's also left unprotected, and perhaps a draft pick or a coveted prospect - but it's that kind of stuff that, apparently, the National Hockey League didn't want us in the media to know about, and it might be protecting the spectacle of the expansion draft and the process, as well, I'm not sure.
Welcome to the delusionals, Darren.

Old
06-19-2017, 11:10 AM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

Quote:
I'm trying to see Anaheim's side of this, but the part I just still cannot wrap my head around is why wouldn't they expose Bieksa with the understanding by all parties that Bieksa would not be selected?
Just no reason to go through the public and official process of having him waive (or barring that - buying him out) when having a deal in place​ with Vegas means that our list is now a formality. Becomes unnecessary paperwork at that point.

Old
06-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Because there is no need to.

If Vegas and Ducks have already agreed to say trade Larsson to Vegas, so Vegas stays hands off of Vats and Manson, and to pick Vermette instead, then why bother jumping thru hoops with Bieksa.

If Vatanen was traded, Bieksa asked to waive and said no and thus protected along with Lindholm and Fowler leaving Manson exposed, they yeah, I would be worried as a Ducjs fan.

The fact that NONE of that happened, tells me a deal is already in place with Vegas.

Old
06-19-2017, 11:12 AM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Quote:

Maybe it's not a "given", but IMO, what is a given, is they'd rather lose Bieksa than one of their young stud defenders. I agree that Carlyle and Murray love him, but it's absolutely a given that they'd get rid of him before losing someone like Vatanen or Manson.

Quote:
Buying out Bieksa is definitely a gimmy if it came to choosing that over losing one of Vatanen/Manson.

The value may have been somewhat lower, but I definitely think there would have been solid offers.

Also, unfortunately, I'm not so sure that Vatanen won't be traded for futures anyway. They may want to re-sign Eaves with the savings, considering how great of a fit he was. I don't want it to happen, but I could see a return similar to the Bobby Ryan trade.

Quote:
-The discount from trading a D in this environment
It's definitely not ideal, but I think that cost pales in comparison to what this could have been, if no deal has been worked out.

Quote:
Those costs have to be compared to the costs of dealing assets to Vegas to not take either Vat or Manson. Which ever one is more cost effective, you go with that one. And both have big costs. just one has slightly lower costs. Although from an Oilers POV its tough to chose what to want because both are in same division. Vegas can bend the Ducks over and negatively affect an Oilers direct competition. Or the Ducks can come out ahead and McPhee could fail at taking advantage of the Ducks, resulting in a weaker team. So Oilers get to play a worse off team plenty in the upcoming years
There's definitely a balance, but considering the reported interest in Vatanen by Lebrun and McKenzie, I think you're probably over exaggerating the impact it would of had on trading him pre-ED. I also don't see any logical way Vegas could "bend Anaheim over". The only scenario where this could happen is if Murray and GMGM didn't have something done already. Not a big fan of Murray, but he's not that stupid to put himself in that bind.

Quote:
Nope. But we are able to prove that he wasn't even asked so why does that matter? Unless you're implying they would consider not asking him to waive and give up a major asset? Again, not a giant Murray fan, but he's not that dumb.

Quote:
2. Cap penalties are spread over 2 years, so negative impactions in year 2. This is not the primary concern tho, Murray not wanting to buy out Bieksa is still #1. One assumption is Murray went over and above to not require Bieksa to waive or ask him to do it. But at what cost?
What are the cap penalties if they are just on the hook for his fully cap hit this coming year?

Quote:
I think you're getting ahead of yourself with the "not future" package.

Quote:
I think there just as many, if not more, "Ducks are screwed" posts than "Ducks are fine" posts.

Closed Thread