HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Predict: Who will Las Vegas take in Expansion draft

View Poll Results: WHO
Gaunce 68 51.13%
Sbisa 35 26.32%
Rodin 10 7.52%
Biega 1 0.75%
Bachmann 1 0.75%
Boucher 13 9.77%
Grenier 0 0%
Pedan 0 0%
Dorset 3 2.26%
OTHER 2 1.50%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-18-2017, 06:33 PM
Reseob ot Etteduag

vCash: 500
I voted Gaunce

Reseob ot Etteduag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 08:25 PM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
Really they could pick any UFA, like Miller for example, and then either not offer a contract or offer a ******** contract that he'd never sign. Then they don't have to take any of our trash.
They could, but why would they? There are plenty of serviceable AHLers with reasonable contracts on our list for them to grab and round out what is currently ~zero organizational depth for their brand new team.

Grab Biega, waive him at the end of camp. Either he's claimed and it's essentially the same result as picking a UFA like Miller and not signing them (plus doesn't count toward the count of unsigned players they can take)...or he clears and you've got a serviceable call-up defenceman for when you need one. They will need call-ups, that much is a certainty.

Though on a related note, this is part of why "scrubs" like Biega, Pedan, Megna, etc. were given one-way deals. Which Benning was briefly raked over the coals for. But it makes them slightly less attractive as selections for Vegas.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:03 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
They could, but why would they? There are plenty of serviceable AHLers with reasonable contracts on our list for them to grab and round out what is currently ~zero organizational depth for their brand new team.

Grab Biega, waive him at the end of camp. Either he's claimed and it's essentially the same result as picking a UFA like Miller and not signing them (plus doesn't count toward the count of unsigned players they can take)...or he clears and you've got a serviceable call-up defenceman for when you need one. They will need call-ups, that much is a certainty.
Agree they need bodies, they will take someone cheap. I don't think it is biega though. The is no reason to grab an older fringe player. They exist as ufas by the dozen. Better to take someone younger and hope they take another step. Goes double with AHL veteran restrictions.

Vegas is going to get another round of picks during season opening waivers.

Quote:
Though on a related note, this is part of why "scrubs" like Biega, Pedan, Megna, etc. were given one-way deals. Which Benning was briefly raked over the coals for. But it makes them slightly less attractive as selections for Vegas.
To me that is bad logic of that is their plan. The fact Vegas will have better players is all the protection you need. They aren't going to waste their time working out how to poach the worst players from the worst teams.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 09:10 PM
Giraffe Sandwich
Flip me at the TDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
I highly doubt this has even a shred of truth to this, and the logic is terrible even so.

They get one way deals because top AHL players usually do. It's the biggest carrot you can give to an AHL vet.

Well, except for Pedan. That one is a headscratcher. But Biega and Megna would have gotten one-way deals from soneone.

Giraffe Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 11:28 PM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
The only reason why I don't think it'll be Gaunce is the rule where Vegas has to pick 20 players under contract for 17/18. So they are allowed 10 unsigned RFA/UFA choices.

Surely there are 10 better options for Vegas from the unsigned RFA/UFA pool then Gaunce or Boucher.
This is exactly what I think. The Canucks and a hand full of other teams really have pure trash for exposed players. If Vegas was smart they would grab an upcoming Ufa, not resign him and then sign someone better on when in free agency

WinterEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 11:29 PM
Jyrki21
OT/SO results = ties

I think there's a non-zero chance that Benning has offered a carrot to Las Vegas to leave Sbisa alone.

I think he's like 5th on the list of guys they might take, but I could definitely see this happening.

edit: I see Dissonance has had a similar thought.

I voted Gaunce, but I'm starting to think it might actually be Rödin.

06-18-2017, 11:32 PM
LickTheEnvelope
5th Overall Blows 2

Frankly I wouldn't take any of them lol

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 09:57 AM
Bad Goalie

They get 3 days to talk to UFAs. Doesn't that mean they get to talk contract? They sign that free agent and then he counts as the pick from that team. They don't simply say we are negotiating with that UFA so he counts as the pick from your team. It is my understanding they commit to that UFA and therefore you have no bargaining power with that guy.

I assume they could trade him or waive him afterwards. The waiving part makes no sense to me whatsoever. If they pick someone, he needs to have some value to them in some way either to trade (and that deal could have been worked out earlier in order to free up the guy Vegas wanted off that roster or to allow them to keep one guy and give up another) or to help anchor their farm. Losing a selection for nothing would be poor asset management.

Bad Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Karl Childers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryp37 View Post
They're definitely not taking Sbisa, lot of good D available even after some protection deals.

Methot, Vatanen, Demers, Dumba, Scandella, Schlemko, McNabb, Van Riemsdyk, Dotchin, Miller
I guarantee not all of these players will be in Vegas. That said I doubt Vegas takes Sbisa. Vatanen and Dumba have literally zero chance of playing for that team.

Karl Childers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:15 AM
tyhee

I voted Gaunce. I'd place the likelihood of others in the order Biega, Rodin, Boucher and Sbisa.

tyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:24 AM
BloatedGuppy

I haven't spent enough time with the list of available players to break down who they are most likely to take and from what team. While there are certainly better D than Sbisa available elsewhere, those teams might have an even more tempting forward available, or might work out a side deal to protect the D in question. Too many variables in play.

In a vacuum, it's most likely Gaunce, so I voted Gaunce. But Sbisa is also very plausible. He's a functional 3rd pairing defenseman and good team guy. That he's overpaid isn't likely to be a huge impediment to an expansion team with no intention of competing for Cups any time soon.

Dark horse selections would be Rodin/Boucher if they want some skill, Dorsett/Cramarossa if they want a pugilist to patrol the 4th line, and Pedan if they want a younger depth D.

Super Dark Horse selection - Biega, who might actually be our best exposed player.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:30 AM
jeromemorrow

http://www.tsn.ca/button-and-seraval...ights-1.782983

Button picked Jack Skille and Seravalli picked Luca Sbisa in their mock Vegas draft.

jeromemorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:52 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

Vegas has no incentive to take Sbisa's contract away from the Canucks. It's easier to take a younger player like Gaunce and put him on the fourth line.

It really says something about our cupboard though.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:57 AM
lindgren

I don't know enough about the number of free agents available to Vegas to make a prediction about who they'll take from Vancouver, but I'm hoping it isn't Rodin.

If they grab Sbisa, I'll be happy

lindgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:14 AM
m9

vCash: 50
I'm going to go off-the-board a bit here and choose Andrey Pedan. I think an expansion team in Vegas will want to have an enforcer or at least a fighter, and he would fit as a 7th or 8 dman. There is not a single unprotected player on our team that I would trade a 3rd round pick for, which is pretty amazing.

What I would do if I was Vegas? I would work to sign Ryan Miller, and take someone else instead of MAF from Pittsburgh. Miller/Pickard would be a great goaltending situation, and you can get a better player from Pittsburgh than you can from us.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:22 AM
vancityluongo
Twin Benning

vCash: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Lang View Post
lol, GM'ing is so hard for real GM's but easy for NHLEA GM's. He's a total idiot like Benning, he probably hasn't even worried about the expansion draft yet. He probably got a phone call from the owner and was like, "yawwwn, oh is the list out yet. I should put some pants on. No **** it, we'll just pick random players when whatever day rolls around, going back to bed, GM'ing is so hard. Why do I have to do it"?

NHL GM's value pedigree. Boucher was a highly touted player coming out of junior because he was an explosive player on a strong team. Gaunce has never had that because he played a vanilla style even when he was on a strong team (where all the focus was on a 16 year old Connor McDavid). Not sure how that is controversial? When looking at two reasonably comparable 23 year old players, that would for sure be a part of the assessment.

Take a look at most of the mock expansion drafts. TSN listed the four notable unprotected players from Vancouver as being Boucher, Dorsett, Sbisa and Bachman. It's not an elitist armchair opinion to suggest that maybe a guy who has exclusive trading rights with 30 teams and an exclusive window to talk to free agents doesn't have his Vancouver pick as a top priority. Or does that still set you off as being too offensive to the amazing roster put together by the Supreme Leader?

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:29 AM
Dissonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
What I would do if I was Vegas? I would work to sign Ryan Miller, and take someone else instead of MAF from Pittsburgh. Miller/Pickard would be a great goaltending situation, and you can get a better player from Pittsburgh than you can from us.
Agree with this. Not sure why Vegas seems so intent on taking Fleury. They could probably get equivalent or better goaltending elsewhere and then grab Ian Cole or Bryan Rust if they needed a forward. Or even try to sign Bonino.

Only catch is they'd actually have to convince Miller to sign there, though that doesn't seem impossible given Las Vegas' proximity to Los Angeles, where his wife's career is centered.

Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:57 AM
FroshaugFan2
Starched Earth

vCash: 1750
It should be Gaunce. It might be Boucher.

I don't see any reason for Vegas to take Sbisa or Dorsett. If Vegas doesn't want to use up one of their free agents spots on the Canucks then they can take Megna or Biega who aren't grossly overpaid.

FroshaugFan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:14 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Put together a team based on the protected lists that were released this weekend. Ignored any potential side deals as those details aren't fully confirmed yet. Here is what Vegas could look like this upcoming season:

Colin Wilson - Jonathan Marchessault - Bobby Ryan
David Perron - Vadim Shipachyov - Ryan Strome
Michael Raffl - Marko Dano - Lee Stempniak
Curtis McKenzie - Nick Shore - Josh Anderson

Extras: Josh Jooris, Mikhail Grigorenko, Charles Hudon, Brendan Gaunce, Brandan Leipsic, Devante Smith-Pelly

Nate Schmidt - Matt Dumba
Xavier Ouellet - Sami Vatanen
Jake Dotchin - Trevor van Riemsdyk

Extras: Joe Morrow, Griffin Reinhart, Brett Kulak

Marc-Andre Fleury
Aaron Dell
Antti Raanta
Linus Ullmark

Thought process:

As much as I wanted to take Methot, based on my initial assumption of no side deals, I just couldn't justify taking a 32 year old defensive defenseman over one of the talented young defensemen in Dumba, Vatanen, or TvR. All three of those D-men are RHS, the same as Methot, so rather than overloading the right side with four regulars I elected to beef up the offensive side with Bobby Ryan from Ottawa.

I considered Fast and Lindberg from the Rangers but ultimately Raanta was the best player they have made available. I took him with the intent of trading him or Dell to a team that's looking to solve their goaltending issues. I'm very high on Dell, but given he and Raanta are both the same age I would simply trade the one who would net the largest return. The remaining goalie would work in a 50/30 split with Fleury, while Ullmark develops.

There really aren't many quality LHD that were exposed, that are under contract. In my mind Schmidt was the best available. I then continued the trend with youth stocking up on Ouellet and Dotchin.

Overall I tried to build a younger team, with only 4 players (including Shipachyov) aged 30 or older (along with Ryan, Stempniak, and Fleury). The team still has about $16M in cap space to add to the roster, or perhaps take on some bad contracts for draft picks, so there is room to move on this.

06-19-2017, 12:27 PM
Gaunce4gm

Gaunce is a better pick if you're a smart GM.

People will look at his stats and see him as a bust and assume he won't be worth selecting.

Sbisa may not make their top 6 BUT someone will trade them SOMETHING for him if they need D.

If a team loses D and is looking for a decent 1 year replacement there's a lot of GMs out there that will see 19 minutes a night, physical, good skater, and they'll see he played for the awful Canucks and disregard his possession stats etc.

They'll select Sbisa and flip him. Gaunce won't make their opening night roster and they'll have to waive him. Book it it's Sbisa (MAYBE Dorsett) not Gaunce

Gaunce4gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:37 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromemorrow View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/button-and-seraval...ights-1.782983

Button picked Jack Skille and Seravalli picked Luca Sbisa in their mock Vegas draft.
Jack Skille would be a weird choice. He's a pending UFA who they could likely grab for free in a couple of weeks.

Smart asset management would be to pick someone they own rights to and could then conceivably 1) Trade, 2) Use for their minor team.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Cancuks
Dimwits

Where are all the Vegas mock draft threads on the main board? Is there a reliable expansion draft roster builder out there? TSN's is crap and has wrong players listed, missing players and players with the wrong teams. Cap geek's doesn't think the protection lists have been made available and is still stuck in "quick pick" mode.
Just looking at Craig Button's list on TSN made me laugh. Half of his players are garbage (Jack Skille WTF??) and pending UFAs. I don't even think he made a selection from some teams and his cap is way below the floor.

Cancuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:40 PM
jeromemorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Put together a team based on the protected lists that were released this weekend. Ignored any potential side deals as those details aren't fully confirmed yet. Here is what Vegas could look like this upcoming season:

Colin Wilson - Jonathan Marchessault - Bobby Ryan
David Perron - Vadim Shipachyov - Ryan Strome
Michael Raffl - Marko Dano - Lee Stempniak
Curtis McKenzie - Nick Shore - Josh Anderson

Extras: Josh Jooris, Mikhail Grigorenko, Charles Hudon, Brendan Gaunce, Brandan Leipsic, Devante Smith-Pelly

Nate Schmidt - Matt Dumba
Xavier Ouellet - Sami Vatanen
Jake Dotchin - Trevor van Riemsdyk

Extras: Joe Morrow, Griffin Reinhart, Brett Kulak

Marc-Andre Fleury
Aaron Dell
Antti Raanta
Linus Ullmark

Thought process:

As much as I wanted to take Methot, based on my initial assumption of no side deals, I just couldn't justify taking a 32 year old defensive defenseman over one of the talented young defensemen in Dumba, Vatanen, or TvR. All three of those D-men are RHS, the same as Methot, so rather than overloading the right side with four regulars I elected to beef up the offensive side with Bobby Ryan from Ottawa.

I considered Fast and Lindberg from the Rangers but ultimately Raanta was the best player they have made available. I took him with the intent of trading him or Dell to a team that's looking to solve their goaltending issues. I'm very high on Dell, but given he and Raanta are both the same age I would simply trade the one who would net the largest return. The remaining goalie would work in a 50/30 split with Fleury, while Ullmark develops.

There really aren't many quality LHD that were exposed, that are under contract. In my mind Schmidt was the best available. I then continued the trend with youth stocking up on Ouellet and Dotchin.

Overall I tried to build a younger team, with only 4 players (including Shipachyov) aged 30 or older (along with Ryan, Stempniak, and Fleury). The team still has about $16M in cap space to add to the roster, or perhaps take on some bad contracts for draft picks, so there is room to move on this.
Great thought and analysis put into this as usual @Y2k.

I like the team especially w the cap flexibility. However, with 16m cap space... why not take Neal over Colin Wilson?... I kinda like Weal over Raffl too but it's pretty even.. Raffl is a more established NHLer but I like Weal's upside.

Also, kinda agree with some other posters here .. with picking Ryan Miller over MAF... there's good players to pick from PIT vs an inconsistent and expensive goalie such as MAF... Miller + Raanta is good enough already.

I like Schmidt as well... versus taking Grubauer from WAS.

This team is prolly better than ours already unfortunately... guess it comes down to how fast VGK gels together as a team.

Agree with your thinking on not taking Methot due to the quality of other younger RHS dmen + Bobby Ryan being available.

jeromemorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Hollywood Burrows

Gaunce is definitely the pick a smart GM would make. I am absolutely amazed that someone hired George McPhee to work as an NHL GM again. It's really hard to predict who they'll pick because this guy is just hilariously inept. He's had one run as an NHL GM and in that time his greatest accomplishments:

1) constructing a team ****** enough to draft Ovechkin
2) hiring a great coach with a great system and then firing the coach and changing the system after a fluke playoff loss
3) arguably the worst trade since the salary cap was introduced

So who knows?? I am always fascinated to watch organizations **** up on a large scale, so this expansion draft is intriguing af

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 12:46 PM
m9

These arranged deals that haven't been announced certainly take the fun out of mocking out their roster, it ends up being a bit of a waste.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote