HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Redskins Part III: The Draft (Pick a Winner)

Old
06-14-2017, 03:12 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Besides being a SB winning QB for the Washington Redskins, Williams lone NFL front office experience before coming back to DC in 2014 was working in the Tampa Bay front office under Bruce Allen. So another member of the TB mafia. Forgive me for being skeptical.

As for the minority angle, I don't give a **** about that stuff. Are they the best qualified? Are they bringing new ideas to the front office? In regards to Williams, that remains to be seen, IMO.

WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 08:01 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Old
06-15-2017, 08:51 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Backup safety. Maybe special teams.

06-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Yet people will continue to call him MeAngelo

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 12:56 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Besides being a SB winning QB for the Washington Redskins, Williams lone NFL front office experience before coming back to DC in 2014 was working in the Tampa Bay front office under Bruce Allen. So another member of the TB mafia. Forgive me for being skeptical.

As for the minority angle, I don't give a **** about that stuff. Are they the best qualified? Are they bringing new ideas to the front office? In regards to Williams, that remains to be seen, IMO.
No problem with skepticism. Williams would appear to at least have some qualifications for this type of position.

I think the minority thing is important for the sport honestly.

Is there such thing as "best qualified" in this type of hire really. Best qualified are already employed.

Now if there was a list of some legit NFL exec type guys who were looking for work, who were clearly more qualified, I'd be interested to know if they even considered anyone else.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2017, 01:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
The reality is he just sat on his ass for free for a season and has averaged 10 missed games the last 3 seasons. He was getting cut if he didn't accept a reduced cap#.

You're suggesting we should show some admiration for that? This is standard NFL business IMO.

PS - you don't just shed a nickname like MEAngelo! That's 4life.

Hope he stays healthy. As a bit player he should contribute nicely and help with mentoring. I've grown to like him quite honestly.

Old
06-15-2017, 05:15 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind View Post
Well lets be reality here. Hall is 33 years old, has played in 14 out of 32 games over the last two seasons and plays a position that has been upgraded with younger/better players. He agreed to a pay cut to keep his job, for now.

Old
06-17-2017, 01:28 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...m-in-worst-way

Quote:
Williams said that negotiations have already been going on between Cousins and team officials and that he won't stick his head into administrative matters. That didn't stop him from making a sales pitch.

"All I can do is hope and pray that Kirk looks at the big picture and looks at this football team and realizes we do have a pretty solid football team, solid offensive line, he's got something to work with," Williams said. "Having said that, [vice president of football administration] Eric Schaffer and [president Bruce Allen] have been on this negotiation for a long time. I think it's unfair for me to stick my head into it at this time. Now, I'm aware of what's going on, but as far as my two cents into it and talking to Kirk and what have you, I think I have to step back from that."
Not sure if this means Williams is just the day to day guy as suspected, or if he's specifically talking about just this one negotiation.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 05:54 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...m-in-worst-way

Not sure if this means Williams is just the day to day guy as suspected, or if he's specifically talking about just this one negotiation.
John Keim mentioned in a recent post of his of what role Williams fills in regards to contracts. It sounds like a continuation of the role McClou was forced into:

Quote:
The Redskins have a new front-office setup in place, with Doug Williams now having the title of senior vice president of player personnel. But that likely won’t have much impact at all on the talks. Former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan, fired in March, was not involved in the negotiations for a while before his ouster. And his opinion on Cousins’ value wasn’t much different than others in the organization. Owner Dan Snyder has been letting Cousins know through various communications in the last two months that he wants him long-term.
http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-...itch-continues

Old
06-18-2017, 01:00 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Seems unimportant in his role as a Personnel guy. I'm sure he'll have his say in opinions of value internally.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:10 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ost-name-fight

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court on Monday struck down part of a law that bans offensive trademarks in a ruling that is expected to help the Redskins in their legal fight over the team name.

The justices ruled that the 71-year-old trademark law barring disparaging terms infringes free speech rights.

The ruling is a victory for the Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but the case was closely watched for the impact it would have on the separate dispute involving the Washington football team.

Yay?

Old
06-19-2017, 10:21 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...ost-name-fight

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court on Monday struck down part of a law that bans offensive trademarks in a ruling that is expected to help the Redskins in their legal fight over the team name.

The justices ruled that the 71-year-old trademark law barring disparaging terms infringes free speech rights.

The ruling is a victory for the Asian-American rock band called the Slants, but the case was closely watched for the impact it would have on the separate dispute involving the Washington football team.

Yay?
Agree with the ruling. Not sure about the name.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:38 AM
twabby

Just change the name. It's another black eye on a shameful organization.

twabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 07:35 PM
Jags
Mildly Disturbed

Yeah, I really don't get the fuss. I've been a fan my whole life, and I find all the talk about the name representing the team's history and legacy a bunch of crap. When people look back, the name and the Native American imagery isn't what they revere. It's the stories; the people and the things they accomplished, the time spent watching with family and friends, and so on. The name has nothing to do with any of that.

As George Carlin said, symbols are for the simple-minded. Distilling the legacy of a sports team that has every right to be proud of its accomplishments down to a clearly objectionable moniker is just plain stupid.

When I look back, I don't see logos and nicknames. I see Riggins trucking down the left sideline in the Super Bowl, Darrell running down Dorsett like it was no big thing, watching the RFK bleachers rock so hard it seemed impossible they didn't collapse...

Herzog's famous line could have been, "Touchdown, Washington Pandas!" for all I care. The iconography means nothing to me.

What would you really miss about the name? I guess the fight song is kinda fun. How many teams' touchdowns come with a soundtrack? But I'll get over it. The name is unquestionably offensive, regardless of how unintentional, misunderstood, or overstated some think that offense might be. And those that pretend they can't see the offense are either liars, bigots, morons, or any combination of the three.

Jags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 02:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

Snyder won't change it as long as the fans still support the Redskins. Get all sanctimonious and preachy if you want to waste cycles on it, but that's the bottom line. Now he's got the Supreme Court bolstered "free speech" issue on his side and there's no limit of supporters who will jump on board just for that angle. Team name won't change while he owns it IMO. Many bigger issues in the world. Time to move on.

Old
06-20-2017, 07:39 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jags View Post
Yeah, I really don't get the fuss. I've been a fan my whole life, and I find all the talk about the name representing the team's history and legacy a bunch of crap. When people look back, the name and the Native American imagery isn't what they revere. It's the stories; the people and the things they accomplished, the time spent watching with family and friends, and so on. The name has nothing to do with any of that.

As George Carlin said, symbols are for the simple-minded. Distilling the legacy of a sports team that has every right to be proud of its accomplishments down to a clearly objectionable moniker is just plain stupid.

When I look back, I don't see logos and nicknames. I see Riggins trucking down the left sideline in the Super Bowl, Darrell running down Dorsett like it was no big thing, watching the RFK bleachers rock so hard it seemed impossible they didn't collapse...

Herzog's famous line could have been, "Touchdown, Washington Pandas!" for all I care. The iconography means nothing to me.

What would you really miss about the name? I guess the fight song is kinda fun. How many teams' touchdowns come with a soundtrack? But I'll get over it. The name is unquestionably offensive, regardless of how unintentional, misunderstood, or overstated some think that offense might be. And those that pretend they can't see the offense are either liars, bigots, morons, or any combination of the three.
This comment displays a certain moronic ignorance all its own.

In the future focus more on speaking for just you and not for thousands of people you've never met before.

Old
06-20-2017, 07:41 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:

I don't particularly care one way or the other if they change the name, but this post so completely misses the mark.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 07:51 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Quote:

Carlin was funny and clever but he was no guru. Symbols are fundamental to everyone whether it's cultural or the way our brains process information.

Old
06-20-2017, 08:06 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Looks like Williams will be involved in the Cousins contract negotiations after all:

Quote:
In his new role as senior vice president of player personnel and public Face of the Front Office, Doug Williams figures to have his every comment about every rostered Redskins player scrutinized. That goes triple for the quarterbacks, the position Williams played, and the longtime obsession of this town.

So when Williams was asked about third-stringer Nate Sudfeld last week, careful ears began tingling.

“Sudfeld’s one of my favorites,” Williams told ESPN 980’s Doc Walker. “You know, he was one of the guys, when we drafted him, when we sat in the room [and] we talked about drafting a quarterback, I was a Sudfeld guy. You know, none of [the prospects] took snaps up under the center; they all stood back in the shotgun. He was at Indiana, but when you watched him and the guys at a couple more schools, there was something about him that you liked. And I think he’s learned how to take the snap from under center; he gets the ball out of his hands.

“The first couple weeks here, I think [Coach Jay Gruden] wanted to run him off,” Williams joked. “He looked so bad, Jay wanted to run him off.”

“Yeah, he did not look good early on,” Walker agreed.

“No, no, but the kid has worked, he’s learned,” Williams went on. “And I’ll tell you what: Out of the quarterbacks that came out this year, if he was coming out this year and looked like he looked [at last Tuesday’s practice], he would be up there anywhere from the second to first round. The kid has improved.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3055614efbca

The quasi GM pumping the tires of his 2nd year 6th round QB while his #1 QB is locked in significant contract negotiations. Yeah, he is involved.

Old
06-20-2017, 09:24 AM
twabby

I don't think anyone is going to change their minds on the team name issue but it's not like the team now resembles teams of the past at all. They are perrenial losers with a manchild of an owner and incompetent management playing in a soulless dump of a stadium. If nothing else a new name could represent a fresh start on top of getting rid of a horribly racist nickname, but of course everyone has correctly pointed out that there is no way Snyder will ever change the name.

Old
06-20-2017, 09:46 AM
AlexBrovechkin8
La Flama Blanca

Quote:
Originally Posted by twabby View Post
I don't think anyone is going to change their minds on the team name issue but it's not like the team now resembles teams of the past at all. They are perrenial losers with a manchild of an owner and incompetent management playing in a soulless dump of a stadium. If nothing else a new name could represent a fresh start on top of getting rid of a horribly racist nickname, but of course everyone has correctly pointed out that there is no way Snyder will ever change the name.
There will be no fresh start, new name or not, until Snyder no longer owns the team.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 09:59 AM
twabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
There will be no fresh start, new name or not, until Snyder no longer owns the team.
True, but hopefully the next owner realizes that after 50+ years of losing (assuming Snyder owns the team for at least 25 more years) the team name will be synonymous with losing and at least change it for that reason.

Old
06-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Jags
Mildly Disturbed

Quote:
This comment displays a certain moronic ignorance all its own.

In the future focus more on speaking for just you and not for thousands of people you've never met before.
If you can show me the thousands of fans that honestly can't separate the history of the team from the name, I will. Their fondness for it is as innocent as my general appreciation for the fight song -- there's nothing inherently good about either, but the association is ingrained through experience, not an appreciation for the iconography itself.

Fans aren't doing tomahawk chops, shouting insulting "battle cries," or using the Native American imagery in any meaningful way, positively or negatively. The attachment is pure cosmetic habit.

Quote:
Carlin was funny and clever but he was no guru. Symbols are fundamental to everyone whether it's cultural or the way our brains process information.
Meaningful symbols are fundamental to everyone. This one has no real meaning. Go ahead, explain to us the valuable Native American heritage associated with the Redskins nickname and how they've used that imagery to meaningfully represent something profound about their franchise.

It's just a name. No tangential local value like Ravens or Orioles, no prideful representation like Steelers, no pure celebration of the franchise like Browns. Our team name is baseless, like plenty of others in the NFL and everywhere else.

The only differences are that A) It's a word that has no value or positive connotation outside of it being a pretty ill-conceived name of a sports team back when people didn't much care about being racists, and B) It's not harmless.

If we were a new franchise trying to come up with a name and someone said, "We should use a Native American logo and call ourselves Redskins," people would lose their ****, and rightfully so. It'd get shouted down instantly. So we're attached to our offensive symbol because we're used to it.

It's our own little Confederate flag, replete with its own heaping helpings of racial insensitivity on its best day, and hundreds of years of genocidal violence on its worst.

Old
06-20-2017, 02:05 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
If you can show me the thousands of fans that honestly can't separate the history of the team from the name, I will.
Here you go. Count the seat cushions if you don't believe me:

Here are some more, and they aint singing "Hail to the Pandas":

Old
06-20-2017, 02:14 PM
Jags
Mildly Disturbed

Quote:
Here you go. Count the seat cushions if you don't believe me:

Wow, you're right. That moment is so much about the Native American symbolism inherent in the blah blah blah...

Except that it isn't. That's a bunch of fans choosing an inspirational moment to throw free giveaway crap on the field. If you think that had ANYTHING to do with what was written on the cushions -- that it would have happened any differently had it been a "Go Hogs!" or "XXth Anniversary" or "Beat the Falcons" cushion -- you're deluding yourself.

It was the action that meant something to the players and made the moment memorable for fans. The writing on the cushion meant nothing.