HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

West Finalists. More suprising in '03 or '04?

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2004, 11:30 PM
Upon1

vCash: 500
West Finalists. More suprising in '03 or '04?

Anaheim
Minnesota

Calgary
San Jose

I'm thinking a tie! Were you guys like me in thinking 2003 wouldn't be repeated with the Avs and Wings or one of the other powerhouses in the West re-establishing their fingerprints on the Campbell?

Old
05-05-2004, 12:16 AM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Actually I thought San Jose had a good chance at making the Conference Finals when the playoffs started. They're not so much of a surprise as Minny/Anaheim.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:17 AM
rye&ginger

Calgary and SJ are more well rounded teams. Both have good goalies, both have decent defense, and both have some offensive punch. The Ducks were a one man show for the most part, and the Wild were a total team effort too.

The question is which of these 4 teams will be the best next year? I say the '04 finalists. They have shown more bite.

Also if you look only at regulation wins, Calgary beat out a lot of teams in the NHL. OT wins are a novelty item right now, and make the standings next to useless I feel.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:22 AM
guinness
those were the days

'03, I thought that the Wings had a decent chance to repeat, Anaheim and Minny both overachieved and shut down everyone.

But this year, SJ won their division, Calgary played strong hockey all year, the Wings looked old and slow after the Nashville series and the Avs came out flat after walking over Dallas.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:26 AM
X8oD

not more suprising at all.

last season Minny and Anaheim came out of nowhere.

this year San Jose dominated and Kipper was the best goalie in the NHL since he arrived in Calgary.

Old
05-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Timmy1973

'03 was way more suprising. No one was picking the Wild and Ducks to go to the west finals. Some were picking the Sharks to be contenders last year, so is it really such a suprise to see them there this year? Calgary is a bit of a suprise and quite a relief from having the same faces in it every season.

Old
05-05-2004, 09:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy1973
'03 was way more suprising. No one was picking the Wild and Ducks to go to the west finals. Some were picking the Sharks to be contenders last year, so is it really such a suprise to see them there this year? Calgary is a bit of a suprise and quite a relief from having the same faces in it every season.
2003 for sure. While I thought the Sharks would miss the playoffs, and didn't think they'd beat St. Louis, they're not as much of a suprise as Minnesota and Anaheim last year. At the start of the playoffs, I picked Calgary to go to the finals, so I'm not really suprised.

Old
05-05-2004, 12:06 PM
Natural Habs Fan

I think this year was different in that all the teams could have easily made it to the final. There was no clear cut favourite.

Last year, Minnesota & Anaheim came out of nowhere to make it as far as they did.

Old
05-05-2004, 01:33 PM
discostu

'03 was the more suprising year. LIke everyone else has said, Calgary and San Jose are regarded as more well-rounded teams that Minnesotta and Anaheim, but the key difference is that last year was the first year that the major powerhouses weren't represented in the Western Conference final. This year, everyone knew that it could happen, thanks to the Ducks and Wild.

This is now the second year in a row that something like this has happened. Before that, you need to go back to 1994 to find the last time Detroit, Dallas or Colorado didn't represent the West. In most of those years, the conference runner-up was also one of those 3 teams. Only twice I believe, did another team make the conference finals (the Blues one year, and the Sharks another) in the West.

Old
05-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Yayo

What's so surprising about San Jose? They placed second in the Western Conference.

Old
05-05-2004, 07:43 PM
Hellsempire

Last season's WCF's was more suprising than this season's WCF's. Calgary and san Jose showed all year that they belong in the playoffs and now in the WCF's... Last season, Anaheim and Minnesota came out of nowhere...

Old
05-05-2004, 10:00 PM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
i don't think it's a surprise, it's showing the shift in the nhl game perfectly.. older all star skilled teams can't just glide around and win on experience and skill anymore. rather, younger fresher and hungrier teams are winning. defensive systems coupled with tenacious hitting/forechecking/puck battles are finally overtaking the older skilled teams because the game is so bogged down....

atleast imo

Old
05-05-2004, 11:03 PM
Upon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man
What's so surprising about San Jose? They placed second in the Western Conference.
I was thinking more about from the start of the season and not the start of the playoffs. I mean San Jose was stinky last year I personally think it is a big suprise to see them in the WCF this year.

Closed Thread