Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Sudbury Arena

Old
06-19-2017, 01:15 PM
WolvesAndWings

vCash: 500
I couldn't care any less about the memorial cup as it's not really a national championship anymore, so a new arena putting us in any future discussion to host is nothing more than a small bonus.

I just want a building that will help rejuvenate local interest in the team, as we could reasonably be a top 5 team in terms of attendance, and as great as the atmosphere is in the old barn, it's not the most comfortable place to sit and watch a game, and it's full of pretty serious inconveniences such as all the basement cantines and horrible washroom placement (Men sitting at the Minto Street end and women sitting at the Grey Street end just have the worst washroom situations).

Anyways, the report came out today and it looks like downtown, in the current municipal parking lot where Wacky Wings currently sits looks to be the preferred spot.

WolvesAndWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 02:38 PM
jamo27

http://www.thesudburystar.com/2017/0...town-for-arena

Looks like the vote is June 27. Downtown vs the Kingsway...

jamo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 02:34 PM
Voice from the North

Here's a question for those of you in cities with somewhat new arenas (Kingston, Niagara, Windsor, etc). Where is your arena located (downtown or suburb) and what positives and negatives have the fans/cities run into?

Tonight could get very ugly at council chambers.

Voice from the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 03:05 PM
Opinionated

Kingston is downtown.

Oshawa built it's new arena downtown, and moved from what was a suburb area to the city core.

Parking is the only issue with both of these locations, but it's a minor issue, and having lots of restaurants and bars in the area make it great for both before and after games.

Opinionated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 03:23 PM
EON

vCash: 400
Erie's is located downtown, there's very little negative about the arena placement in my view. There's a parking ramp right next to the arena which you can park in for $5, which I think is reasonable. There's plenty of free parking available around the city that would only require you to walk a few blocks. And you have plenty of bars and restaurants in walking distance.

EON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2017, 09:41 PM
three dog night

Niagara arena is in downtown St.Catharines parking limited at arena but lots of parking near by at 5 bucks several new restaurants and bars have open since the arena was built

three dog night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:57 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice from the North View Post
Here's a question for those of you in cities with somewhat new arenas (Kingston, Niagara, Windsor, etc). Where is your arena located (downtown or suburb) and what positives and negatives have the fans/cities run into?

Tonight could get very ugly at council chambers.
Windsor's new rink is on the eastern edge of the city. The area directly east, though, has really built up over the last several years. Thus, Windsor and the Town of Tecumseh (directly east) kind of blend together in that area.

The positives... there's a ton of open area. The property is massive with plenty of room for future development. It also taps into the Tecumseh and St Clair Beach populations, plus it's fairly easy to get to from the 401 and EC Row. That allows for a county connection, if you will.

The negatives... there's a serious lack of hotels/restaurants within a quick walk. With the old downtown Windsor Arena, you had a dozen restaurants to pick from pre-or-post game and there were lots of hotels to stay in within a few min. Now, you pretty much have to drive or shuttle to restaurants, unless you don't mind a 15-min walk (approx). Parking is a bit of an issue if you get larger (6,000+) crowds. However, many have figured out alternatives that are free.

I wouldn't have minded an arena downtown here but I can understand why they put it out there. Frankly, I enjoy cranking some internet radio streams on the way to games; gets the energy flowing I do know people who have stopped going because it's not as accessible, though. When you have a core that's used to one spot and now you've changed locations by a drastic amount, it's not always easy to adjust.

With Sudbury, I hope their city council creates something new downtown to draw in people. You're used to having 5,000+ for games every week, which does a lot for businesses around the arena. That's going to be taken away. Bring something else downtown that will help replace that. Windsor brought in the Aquatic Centre and are bringing post-secondary campuses, too. It's going to be a nice boost.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:25 AM
i luvallsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo27 View Post
http://www.thesudburystar.com/2017/0...town-for-arena

Looks like the vote is June 27. Downtown vs the Kingsway...
Kingsway is the winner! 10-2 vote. GO Dario, build your project!

i luvallsports is offline   Reply With Quote