HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rasmus Ristolainen – Part 2

Old
06-07-2017, 08:01 PM
Randall Flagg

vCash: 500
Risto had a stretch of three games in 4 days where we played the Caps, Oilers, and someone else and he put up 5 or 6 points and was a plus player if I remember correctly. The Oilers game where he scored the OT goal. That would be the stretch to watch. He scored a bunch while beating teams with tremendous offensive players.

Randall Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 07:24 AM
BB88

Quote:
Originally Posted by an Girar i View Post
can someone tell me why it's a shooting gallery (for the other team)with him on the ice? he passes the eye test and scores like a 1D but the nerds don't like him because of his shot metrics.

personally, I believe the kid is morphing into a 1D but the advanced stats are somewhat of a red flag as well.
I don't think there was a player with a tougher role in the league this year.

BB88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 08:06 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB88 View Post
I don't think there was a player with a tougher role in the league this year.
Every coach to play their #1 defenseman like Risto was fired.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 08:48 AM
Zip15

vCash: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by La Cosa Nostra View Post
When you are on the ice for nearly half the game on probably the worst defense in the league it's expected to give up a ton of shots. He's absolutely a #1D though, because for one, if the Corsi nerds type of players (the ones that are graded on spreadsheet analysis instead of actually watching them play) were put in Ristos situation they wouldn't come close to doing a good a job as Rasmus does and secondly, once Ristolainen gets some help on the blue line and his minutes cut down a tad he'll look much much better. Ristolainen is the one Sabres defenseman who actually deserves his ice time/role. I could care less what some spread sheet warrior thinks or says about him when it's pretty clear to whoever actually watches him play that he's one of the best young dmen in the game and trending towards the top of the league. He has all the tools to be a top 5/10 dman.
For Buffalo? Sure, almost by default. League-wide is he in the top-30 defensemen? Not close. I'm happy that Botterill characterized him as a "top-4 defenseman," as I think that's the most accurate characterization I've heard coming from a Sabres employee or fan.

He still has a ton of improving to do. A ton. Especially at ES, and even given a different role. His zone-entry defense is some of the worst in the NHL.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 11:16 AM
an Girar i

good info in the responses. I agree that he probably had to do the heaviest lifting from the backend last year when you consider the minutes he logged and how bad the sabre defense/structure/system was/is.

he scored 45 points which is #1D production, outchanced the opposition but got severly outshot but limited net front shots very effectively. only Brent Burns was on-ice for greater % of goals.

once the Eichel era sabres start to rise very shortly and figure out their structure and defense, he's gonna be an analytical stud too.

an Girar i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2017, 12:14 PM
sincerity0

Quote:
Originally Posted by an Girar i View Post
good info in the responses. I agree that he probably had to do the heaviest lifting from the backend last year when you consider the minutes he logged and how bad the sabre defense/structure/system was/is.

he scored 45 points which is #1D production, outchanced the opposition but got severly outshot but limited net front shots very effectively. only Brent Burns was on-ice for greater % of goals.

once the Eichel era sabres start to rise very shortly and figure out their structure and defense, he's gonna be an analytical stud too.
After work I'll try and find the shot charts, but @ineffectivemath had charts on his website that actually showed Risto prevented a lot of shots in his area of the ice at 5v5. Someone correct me if I was thinking of another player.

Other posters summed it up pretty well too -- he was the only one who could take the hard match ups. Does that make him a #1 dman? Not necessarily but when you look at teams like the Preds who have 4 defenseman who can play top pairing minutes it makes everyone look better.

sincerity0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 02:12 PM
SnoopDogg
Gin and Juice

How do you think he performs under Housley? He had 20 points in 112 games under Nolan and 86 points in 161 games under Bylsma. Is the sky the limit with Housley as our coach?

SnoopDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 02:17 PM
Aladyyn
eyes up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopDogg View Post
How do you think he performs under Housley? He had 20 points in 112 games under Nolan and 86 points in 161 games under Bylsma. Is the sky the limit with Housley as our coach?
Risto has enough offensive talent to be consistently around the 60 point mark imo.

Aladyyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Onslow

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladyyn View Post
Risto has enough offensive talent to be consistently around the 60 point mark imo.
Yeah idk about that. I think he can do a several year stretch of ~50 points, which is excellent.

Some of this depends on whether the PP stays top 5.

Onslow is offline   Reply With Quote