HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation 2017-2018, Episode IV, A New Hope

Closed Thread

Old
06-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Jame
Dream '16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

Buying him out is a dumb move---you have dead space next year when Buffalo will need the space if Moulson and Ennis aren't moved.

right now assuming no high cost roster changes (Vegas draft Carrier) Buffalo will be really close to the cap after giving Eichel and Reinhart new contracts.
1.3 dead is a no brainer move to keep cement hands and feet away from players being developed in an up tempo/puck moving system.
(Hodgson's buyout cap credit covers a third of a Gorges buyout in 2017-18.)

Hurting the development of your roster, and the implementation of a new system... that's dumb.

the second bolded isn't true.

Old
06-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey...-scoring-goals

Quote:
Trade buzz amuses Evander Kane, who is focused on hockey and scoring goals

Even Evander Kane can have a chuckle about Evander Kane trade rumours.

My name seems to create a buzz with some reporters and radio stations. I wonder if I have some thank-you cards coming, the Buffalo Sabres left winger said Friday in a tone that was certainly more playful than accusatory.

--------------------------------

Do I worry about the rumours? No. The funny part about rumours is that if you dont know something is going on, then nobody else does, said the 6-foot-2, 211-pound Kane. I have an agent (Don Meehan) who is knowledgable and tapped in. He gives me updates when I need updates. Id like to think Im well informed when I need to be.

----------------------

I came back too early from the rib injury, but it was because I was hungry to play and wanted to play, said Kane, who has battled various injuries since his 30-goal season in 2011-12 with the Winnipeg Jets.

It took me a little while to get back into the swing of things. In those final 58 games, I thought I showed consistency offensively.

--------------------------

Im getting prepared to start another NHL season. Hopefully its in Buffalo, he said.

As for the negative press he receives for past off-ice issues including the money pushup photo in 2012 and his fallout with the Jets in 2015 he says at times he feels like its old news. He maintains that his focus is for his play to be the main story.

I thought I did a pretty good job of that last season, Kane said. Im just going to continue to let my play on the ice do all the negotiating and talking and answering for me.

When it comes to me as a player, Im always 100 per cent. I always put my best foot forward, no matter how I am feeling, no matter what type of injuries I have going on. I always try to play to the best of my ability and always try to be a factor, whether thats scoring or being physical or blocking shots. I want to help my team win and I think Ive proven that over the course of my career.

Old
06-19-2017, 12:07 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
1.3 dead is a no brainer move to keep cement hands and feet away from players being developed in an up tempo/puck moving system.
(Hodgson's buyout cap credit covers a third of a Gorges buyout in 2017-18.)

Hurting the development of your roster, and the implementation of a new system... that's dumb.

the second bolded isn't true.
If not Gorges as a #7 pressbox warrior who do you envision taking that role?

Old
06-19-2017, 12:13 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
Falk. Or sign puck moving options like Chris Wideman or even Fedun to sit in the pressbox. I dont want to see Gorges or Gionta on this team next season, thanks for the leadership but the time has come to move on.

Old
06-19-2017, 12:17 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Speaking for myself, perhaps Falk. Rochester could use him, but I'd take him as #7 over Gorges.

Old
06-19-2017, 12:47 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
free agency

Old
06-19-2017, 01:39 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post

right now assuming no high cost roster changes (Vegas draft Carrier) Buffalo will be really close to the cap after giving Eichel and Reinhart new contracts.
Seriously show your work.

By my math 18-19, when Eichel and Reinhart new deals would kick in, with no major additions, and I added a 4 million dollar defender for fun, I only get to 72 million.

That's with Eichel getting 8 and Reinhart 6.

So either I can't math good or despite repeated requests for you to stop mutilating cap scenarios you continue to just make things up as you go.

Or you think being 3-5 million away from the cap is super tight.

I have no idea, but stop it. It just confuses those who won't do the research.

Old
06-19-2017, 01:49 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrebuild View Post
Seriously show your work.

By my math 18-19, when Eichel and Reinhart new deals would kick in, with no major additions, and I added a 4 million dollar defender for fun, I only get to 72 million.

That's with Eichel getting 8 and Reinhart 6.

So either I can't math good or despite repeated requests for you to stop mutilating cap scenarios you continue to just make things up as you go.

Or you think being 3-5 million away from the cap is super tight.

I have no idea, but stop it. It just confuses those who won't do the research.
12 players at <51 million in 2018-19. Assuming Eichel/Reinhart = ~14 million, and Nylander, Ullmark, and Guhle are here under ELC.

ROR, KO, Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, McCabe, Bogo, Ennis, Moulson, Ullmark, Nylander, Guhle = 51 millionish

Old
06-19-2017, 01:50 PM
kenfury

Quote:
free agency
That makes no sense to me. You buy out Gorges, save 1.3M this year on a non cap team to keep him and his Vet presence away from a young team. However you will need to spend 1M for a capable free agent this year negating the money savings AND you have to pay out 1.3M in cap hit next year. Plus you might be able to parlay Gorges for a late pick which might (but probably wont) amount to something. It strikes me a poor asset management.

Do you really think Gorges is toxic or just ineffective?

Old
06-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
That makes no sense to me. You buy out Gorges, save 1.3M this year on a non cap team to keep him and his Vet presence away from a young team. However you will need to spend 1M for a capable free agent this year negating the money savings AND you have to pay out 1.3M in cap hit next year. Plus you might be able to parlay Gorges for a late pick which might (but probably wont) amount to something. It strikes me a poor asset management.

He's so ineffective that we should start measuring ineffectiveness is "Gorges"

He's a terrible fit for what they want to implement.

Old
06-19-2017, 02:12 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:

Gorges is so bad that even when he makes a nice hit on the wall, it still sucks cuz he is three steps behind the play.

Old
06-19-2017, 02:18 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Gorges can be terrible all he wants, buying him out is pointless at best and detrimental for next season's cap at worst. You can argue against his speed and puck skills, or argue for his leadership. I don't want him on the roster but one more year isn't going to kill the franchise.

Old
06-19-2017, 02:22 PM
Gabrielor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Gorges can be terrible all he wants, buying him out is pointless at best and detrimental for next season's cap at worst. You can argue against his speed and puck skills, or argue for his leadership. I don't want him on the roster but one more year isn't going to kill the franchise.
So, you can argue against having him as a hockey player, but still have to keep him because.....cap?

Old
06-19-2017, 02:29 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielor View Post
So, you can argue against having him as a hockey player, but still have to keep him because.....cap?
I can argue that one more season of his cap hit is not going to ruin anything.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:14 PM
sabrebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I can argue that one more season of his cap hit is not going to ruin anything.
I don't need a buyout. Ahl is where he should go.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:18 PM
kenfury

Quote:
Gorges is so bad that even when he makes a nice hit on the wall, it still sucks cuz he is three steps behind the play.
Then suffer it for the 40 games he plays as a bottom pairing D. The other 40 he is in the pressbox. I think he will be at the level of a replacement player for those 40 games playing against a low quality of competition.

Quote:
He's so ineffective that we should start measuring ineffectiveness is "Gorges"

He's a terrible fit for what they want to implement.
I dont argue that he is not effective. I argue that there may not be a better replacement readily available that does not offset a 1.3 M buyout cap hit in 2018-19. On a lighter note, what is a smaller amount of measurement, one Brad Brown of speed or one Josh Gorges of effectiveness?

Old
06-19-2017, 03:32 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Yea, if Gorges was bought out, it's not the end of the world, but i would prefer he be the #7 or get moved to Rochester if no one picks him up on waivers.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:35 PM
"Craigs on it"

We should look at Tobias Enstrom as well...so many good options out there.

Old
06-19-2017, 03:35 PM
7 11 14

I never watch the Wild. Is Dumba worth trading for?

Old
06-19-2017, 03:38 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 11 14 View Post
I never watch the Wild. Is Dumba worth trading for?
He plays right side, and his nickname is Dumba55. I wouldn't part with anything important for him.

Old
06-19-2017, 08:40 PM
Myers888

Do we have a trade speculation thread??

Depending on the ED....

Kane + to Montreal for Plekanec and Zach Fucale ??

Pleks more of a salary dump with one year left.
Montreal gets scoring they need.
Sabres take a one year contract and the 22 year old goalie.

Old
06-19-2017, 08:45 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

My kid does a small column at his elementary school newspaper. This is what he wrote on the sports page. Pretty sharp for a 4th grader who hardly gets to watch the games!

Quote:
Should the Sabres keep Kane and work on a contract extension or trade him when his stock is high? Unfortunately, the answer to that question is another question: What is the asking price?

If you tell me what other teams are offering, I'll tell you whether Buffalo should make a deal. The same is true for every single player in the NHL. Babe Ruth was traded. Wayne Gretzky was traded. Therefore, every player in team sports is expendable. It depends on the price.

The Sabres have missed the playoffs for six straight seasons. Rookie GM Jason Botterill should call every team in the league about every player in his organization with the idea he can make upgrades. If another team is willing to give up more for Kane than Botterill thinks he's worth, trade him. If not, keep him for now.
Just kidding, this is Bucky Gleason and I don't have a kid.

Old
06-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Beerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
My kid does a small column at his elementary school newspaper. This is what he wrote on the sports page. Pretty sharp for a 4th grader who hardly gets to watch the games!

Just kidding, this is Bucky Gleason and I don't have a kid.

Haha..

Old
06-19-2017, 08:54 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Quote:
I don't need a buyout. Ahl is where he should go.
As long as he's permitted to go there. i.e. he doesn't have a no movement clause, then I'm all for this. He'd probably still struggle in the AHL.

Old
06-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Husko

vCash: 165
I'm all about ridding ourselves of Gorges. In fact I was advocating moving him a year ago before his value went negative, for that very reason. That said, I think he can be traded. Even if not taken by vegas in expansion, they're probably take him in a trade.

Closed Thread