HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXVIII: The Grass is Always Greener On The Other Side Of The I-17

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-19-2017, 02:27 PM
  #401
JimAnchower
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
It seems to me that if something was really working under the surface, something that's a little edgy, something that's perhaps part of a much larger "conspiracy" (for lack of a better word) that the best way to keep a lid on it would be to keep all the involved parties in line.

Buying out a bunch of people and handing them their hat, perhaps some people that didn't want to give up their dream of ownership, such as it was, doesn't seem like the best way to keep a lid on things. There's a lot more sources potential leaks once the the gang is broken up.
NDAs could accomplish that. In addition, if any of them want to continue ownership/management in pro hockey going forward, regardless of the level, you probably don't want to upset the most powerful organization. Keep everything on the down low and maybe Bettman or someone else will put in a good word for you if you want it.

JimAnchower is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:27 PM
  #402
Boris Zubov
Registered User
 
Boris Zubov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 481
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Probably not. But DOM is pointing out the ability is there for every team.
Understood, but the point doesn't really fit this discussion. Comparing the teams I pointed out to the Yotes situation is silly. But who knows, the league may fold before the Coyotes leave AZ!

Boris Zubov is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:28 PM
  #403
TheLegend
Moderator
Megathread Gadfly
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting BoH
Country: United States
Posts: 8,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Yeah, I think I'm gunna call BS on that statement. Sure it's a little tinfoil-y, but this whole saga is fishy.
The "stabilizing" part is the only hang up I have with it for the obvious reasons. However they did make some strides towards the growth.

TheLegend is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:30 PM
  #404
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat
 
BattleBorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Carr.187 Km9
Country: Puerto Rico
Posts: 5,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
NDAs could accomplish that. In addition, if any of them want to continue ownership/management in pro hockey going forward, regardless of the level, you probably don't want to upset the most powerful organization. Keep everything on the down low and maybe Bettman or someone else will put in a good word for you if you want it.
Understood, but I'm having an issue figuring out what more can be accomplished with a single owner versus the entire crew.

At least with the entire crew you've got some leverage. NDAs are great, and they work, but it seems like a guy you just paid out and got to sign an NDA is a lot more likely to leak something than a person who's counting on the plan working for a payout.

ETA: In other words, I'd rather buy loyalty than pay someone out and threaten them legally if they don't keep quiet.

__________________
You pressed You, referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is You.
BattleBorn is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:31 PM
  #405
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
It seems to me that if something was really working under the surface, something that's a little edgy, something that's perhaps part of a much larger "conspiracy" (for lack of a better word) that the best way to keep a lid on it would be to keep all the involved parties in line.

Buying out a bunch of people and handing them their hat, perhaps some people that didn't want to give up their dream of ownership, such as it was, doesn't seem like the best way to keep a lid on things. There's a lot more sources potential leaks once the the gang is broken up.
Yeah, and it would make sense that the League & Barroways buyout would include Non Disclosure Agreements (NDA's). That in receiving funds, much needed monies, generous, you dont talk, you dont speak until we tell you you can speak & whatever your saying will be scripted. Stay on script & you'll receive full payment, go off it, breach, you wont. Those payments spread out to insure compliance. Furthermore, if Anthony LeBlanc or Gary Drummond (the 2 main players) harbour any ambitions to perhaps resurface with another NHL club or even at the AHL or lower levels and breach the NDA's..... Blackballed. 21st Century versions of Eddie Livingstone.

Killion is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:32 PM
  #406
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,184
vCash: 949
Per Lebrun's Twitter: Coyotes have dropped Doan.

That's a bit of a surprise.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:34 PM
  #407
JimAnchower
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 1,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
Understood, but I'm having an issue figuring out what more can be accomplished with a single owner versus the entire crew.

At least with the entire crew you've got some leverage. NDAs are great, and they work, but it seems like a guy you just paid out and got to sign an NDA is a lot more likely to leak something than a person who's counting on the plan working for a payout.
If the cash call rumor is true, some of them may been forced out because of their own financial situation. Their heart may have wanted them to stay, but their brain said they had to get out.

JimAnchower is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:38 PM
  #408
TheLegend
Moderator
Megathread Gadfly
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting BoH
Country: United States
Posts: 8,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Zubov View Post
Understood, but the point doesn't really fit this discussion. Comparing the teams I pointed out to the Yotes situation is silly. But who knows, the league may fold before the Coyotes leave AZ!
Certainly it's silly. Part of the problem in Arizona is that they dropped the team here based upon presumptions that it could sell itself.

Just like Jerry Moyes and Steve Ellman presumed hiring the greatest player of all time to be their front man and caretaker would be enough to be successful.

TheLegend is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:42 PM
  #409
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 10,008
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Yeah, and it would make sense that the League & Barroways buyout would include Non Disclosure Agreements (NDA's). That in receiving funds, much needed monies, generous, you dont talk, you dont speak until we tell you you can speak & whatever your saying will be scripted. Stay on script & you'll receive full payment, go off it, breach, you wont. Those payments spread out to insure compliance. Furthermore, if Anthony LeBlanc or Gary Drummond (the 2 main players) harbour any ambitions to perhaps resurface with another NHL club or even at the AHL or lower levels and breach the NDA's..... Blackballed. 21st Century versions of Eddie Livingstone.
Even if they behave, I have a real hard time thinking Gary Bettman is going to let LeBlanc anywhere near an NHL team again as long as he's commish. No proof obviously, but call it a gut feeling. Starting from the loss of the subsidy when he hired someone in direct violation of the agreement with Glendale to the cash calls to the fallout with ASU among others... there is more going on here than LeBlanc deciding on his own one morning to decide to sell to Barroaway and get out.

cbcwpg is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:43 PM
  #410
TheLegend
Moderator
Megathread Gadfly
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting BoH
Country: United States
Posts: 8,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Per Lebrun's Twitter: Coyotes have dropped Doan.

That's a bit of a surprise.
Not to a lot of us.

But the way in which this is coming out in the news is a major fail.

TheLegend is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:46 PM
  #411
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom servomst3k View Post
per lebrun's twitter: Coyotes have dropped doan.

That's a bit of a surprise.

Llama19 is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:47 PM
  #412
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser
 
The Feckless Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,129
vCash: 1233
Well, the Coyotes are going to announce they're not going to offer Shane Doan a contract. That'll make it easier to say goodbye to this benighted franchise if Barroway flips it like I expect he will.

The Feckless Puck is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:50 PM
  #413
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimAnchower View Post
If the cash call rumor is true, some of them may been forced out because of their own financial situation. Their heart may have wanted them to stay, but their brain said they had to get out.
Brains? It was really had to have been their wallets...or the lack of the empty pockets within...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Even if they behave, I have a real hard time thinking Gary Bettman is going to let LeBlanc anywhere near an NHL team again as long as he's commish. No proof obviously, but call it a gut feeling. Starting from the loss of the subsidy when he hired someone in direct violation of the agreement with Glendale to the cash calls to the fallout with ASU among others... there is more going on here than LeBlanc deciding on his own one morning to decide to sell to Barroaway and get out.
I think your gut can be trusted...

Llama19 is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:51 PM
  #414
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 91
Coyote press release on Doan...

To quote (in part):

""After serious consideration, we have decided to not offer Shane Doan a contract for the upcoming season. The time has come for us to move on and to focus on our young, talented group of players and our very bright future."

Source: https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coy...?tid=277567764

Llama19 is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:52 PM
  #415
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 32,593
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
Even if they behave, I have a real hard time thinking Gary Bettman is going to let LeBlanc anywhere near an NHL team again as long as he's commish. No proof obviously, but call it a gut feeling. Starting from the loss of the subsidy when he hired someone in direct violation of the agreement with Glendale to the cash calls to the fallout with ASU among others... there is more going on here than LeBlanc deciding on his own one morning to decide to sell to Barroaway and get out.
.... amusing thought and ya, you could well be correct. too funny..... and ya, I agree theres something very peculiar, very strange going on here with Anthony. totally out of character for this guy to just disappear, vanish, not a word. Ive thought about it, wonder... could be a few things beyond the possibility of an NDA.. like maybe he's being difficult? isnt going along with all of this willingly? refuses to let go?... no idea.

Killion is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:57 PM
  #416
The Feckless Puck
Registered Loser
 
The Feckless Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 11,129
vCash: 1233

The Feckless Puck is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:57 PM
  #417
TheLegend
Moderator
Megathread Gadfly
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting BoH
Country: United States
Posts: 8,555
vCash: 500
Shannon was saying he was offered one. Hmmmmm.

TheLegend is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 02:59 PM
  #418
Tom ServoMST3K
Eff the DH
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Just off 75
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,184
vCash: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
Shannon was saying he was offered one. Hmmmmm.
Cup chasing time?

He deserves a legit shot.

Tom ServoMST3K is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 03:07 PM
  #419
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 91
Local Sports talk host for Fox Sports 910 Phoenix

Llama19 is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 03:23 PM
  #420
Mightygoose
Registered User
 
Mightygoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Ajax, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,598
vCash: 500
I don't see this as any indication either way weather the teams stays in the valley or not.

Sometimes and organization can't do things like they were always done in the past. It's clear that Doan won't be around when/if this team contends again down the road.

Can't blame the organization here is Shane just won't retire. He'll likely be a mid season signing somewhere.

Mightygoose is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 03:28 PM
  #421
YoungGuns
Registered User
 
YoungGuns's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 277
vCash: 500
So is Doan retiring? Or just not wanted back in AZ?

The Arizona Coyotes’ financial situation is so precarious they’ll have to take on another ghost contract (like they did last summer with Pavel Datsyuk) to reach next season’s salary cap minimum. Dealing away the bulk of goaltender Mike Smith’s contract on Saturday to the Calgary Flames “for nothing in return” doesn’t help. “They’re broke. It’s ridiculous,” a source told TVA Sports on Saturday on condition of anonymity.

http://www.tvasports.ca/2017/06/17/c...it-pas-protege

YoungGuns is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 03:36 PM
  #422
TheLegend
Moderator
Megathread Gadfly
 
TheLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Orbiting BoH
Country: United States
Posts: 8,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
So is Doan retiring? Or just not wanted back in AZ?

The Arizona Coyotes’ financial situation is so precarious they’ll have to take on another ghost contract (like they did last summer with Pavel Datsyuk) to reach next season’s salary cap minimum. Dealing away the bulk of goaltender Mike Smith’s contract on Saturday to the Calgary Flames “for nothing in return” doesn’t help. “They’re broke. It’s ridiculous,” a source told TVA Sports on Saturday on condition of anonymity.

http://www.tvasports.ca/2017/06/17/c...it-pas-protege
Love those "anonymous sources."




The Coyotes are committing to a full youth rebuild movement. Which means they may not even offer Radim Vrbata a new contract despite the good year he had.

TheLegend is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 03:56 PM
  #423
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 91
Coyotes no longer part of the ECHL Rapid City Rush affiliate?

Source: http://rapidcityrush.com/news/?article_id=883

Original Coyote ECHL announcement: https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coy...-echl/c-776727

ECHL Renewal announcement: http://www.echl.com/rush-renew-affiliation-with-coyotes

Llama19 is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 04:00 PM
  #424
Llama19
Registered User
 
Llama19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Outside GZ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 91
Local Sports Radio Talk Show host on Arizona Sports 98.7
Llama19 is offline  
Old
06-19-2017, 04:04 PM
  #425
MNNumbers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
Coyotes no longer part of the ECHL Rapid City Rush affiliate?

Source: http://rapidcityrush.com/news/?article_id=883

Original Coyote ECHL announcement: https://www.nhl.com/coyotes/news/coy...-echl/c-776727

ECHL Renewal announcement: http://www.echl.com/rush-renew-affiliation-with-coyotes
Seems the prior Wild affiliate was Quad Cities (which is SE Iowa). Not much difference for the Wild, distance-wise.

It also seems that Quad Cities is now affiliated with Vegas, meaning that, unless there are other changes, the overall affiliation with NHL/ECHL hasn't changed, except that Vegas now has an affiliate, while Arizona does not.

Do I have this correct?

MNNumbers is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.