HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2017 Offseason Roster Discussion 3 - Langkow for a 1st Edition

Old
06-18-2017, 05:14 PM
ParisSaintGermain

vCash: 500
I think Hanzal will get term AND money somewhere on July 1st after the dust settles from the expansion business. A one year deal is not going to cut it, even at $8M

ParisSaintGermain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 05:17 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra427 View Post
I agree in that Stepan is slightly over paid and he has an NTC that starts in a few weeks, both negatives. I still think he will return more than Yandle, but it will be interesting to see the return if he is traded. The market might be a lot different now, cap space has changed, plenty of moving parts and maybe less suitors. It also depends on who the Rangers think they can sign as a UFA. they can always keep Stepan too.
FWIW, Stepan's NTC is going to be voided if he gets traded before July 1st. That's part of the incentive for NYR to consider moving him now.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Grimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
FWIW, Stepan's NTC is going to be voided if he gets traded before July 1st. That's part of the incentive for NYR to consider moving him now.
Interesting, so there is pleanty of potential to get assessts back in two years. Help him get the kids acclumated and build their confidence, then move him to a contender.

Grimes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 05:29 PM
rt
SinglePotStillWhisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimes View Post
Interesting, so there is pleanty of potential to get assessts back in two years. Help him get the kids acclumated and build their confidence, then move him to a contender.
Great point.

06-18-2017, 05:45 PM
Ultra Mega Chychrun
Arise Chychrun!

vCash: 400
Two Chayka quotes from Dave Vests Twitter.

John Chayka: "We're hopeful we can get a good goalie at a fair number & then re-allocate some of those resources to fill out the roster."

John Chayka on trading goalie Mike Smith: “This move wasn’t made in isolation. It was made to set up other moves to improve our club.”

Ultra Mega Chychrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:40 PM
doaner

vCash: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Mega Chychrun View Post
Two Chayka quotes from Dave Vests Twitter.

John Chayka: "We're hopeful we can get a good goalie at a fair number & then re-allocate some of those resources to fill out the roster."

John Chayka on trading goalie Mike Smith: “This move wasn’t made in isolation. It was made to set up other moves to improve our club.”
Very promising to hear.

doaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2017, 06:54 PM
0point1
Placeholder Message

vCash: 366
In Chayka we trust.

0point1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Mosby
Howl On

So this team got quite a bit younger with the departure of Smith. If Vrbata re-signs and Doan retires, here are the top 5 oldest on the team:

1) Vrbata, 36
2) Richardson 32, could go to Vegas
3) Goligoski, 31
4) McGinn, 28, could go to Vegas
5) Schenn, 27

Mosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Lilhoody

I noticed on NHL app, news feed, Rosen has McGinn to LV; Gulitti has Burmistrov in mock draft/s. I prefer the former.

Lilhoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 06:15 PM
lanky

If Barrowy wants to wipe the roster clean of the old guard then I should stop hoping for Hanzal and Vrbata signings.

Bonino and Oshie are my new targets.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 06:17 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Oshie is one of my favorite players in the league. It kills me that his UFA period is awful timing for the Coyotes. He's 30. His going to get a contract that looks like Eriksson. I just don't see a fit.

Don't want Bonino (I'd like to go for Stepan) but I would like to add some vet wingers. Not sure where they fit though unless Crouse, Fischer, etc. are playing in Tucson. Also a bit gunshy about bringing in vet forwards in case we McGinn ourselves again.

I still want Vrbata back.

Old
06-19-2017, 06:31 PM
lanky

I'm simply not interested in trading for talent. Talent isn't cheap to trade for and our only currency is the prospect pool that we've suffered to build.

lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 07:43 PM
zerekstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
I'm simply not interested in trading for talent. Talent isn't cheap to trade for and our only currency is the prospect pool that we've suffered to build.
Pretty much how I feel.

zerekstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 07:58 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Talent isn't cheap to trade for and our only currency is the prospect pool that we've suffered to build.
And it's a pool that has good talent but a lot of question marks at this point. Next year, when we have more clarity on who's a keeper and who isn't, that's when we can start cashing in some of these pieces in trade. But not right now.

Derek Stepan sure as hell isn't going to make this a playoff team on his own, and certainly not at the cost that Rangers fans are insistent we pay.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 08:01 PM
XX
It's finally over

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPreferPi View Post
Derek Stepan sure as hell isn't going to make this a playoff team on his own, and certainly not at the cost that Rangers fans are insistent we pay.
They seem to want the effing moon for a guy that can't win faceoffs and doesn't produce much on one of the best offensive teams in the league. He plays tough minutes and his primary assist rate is nice, but the price they are asking makes it seem like he's a top 15 center in the league.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Mosby
Howl On

We need some forwards in that 25-32ish bracket.

Stepan could be one (I'm starting to hope this deal happens purely to see the NYR fan reaction. I can't recall the last trade where one team got back a high pick, top prospect, and top young player).

If Vegas doesn't take McGinn, I'd shop the hell out of him. See if you can move him for a similar-age player with a higher cap hit but lower dollars.

Ryan White is an option at 4RW.

This UFA class isn't too inspiring so other options may have to come through trade.

Quote:
Next year, when we have more clarity on who's a keeper and who isn't, that's when we can start cashing in some of these pieces in trade.
I think the problem with this is, in a year from now, we won't want to move the good assets, and no one will want the bad assets. Like Rundblad. We sold him one year too late.

Merkley is a good example here I think. I've never been high on him and I think his value is much lower now than it was two years ago. It could be even lower next year.

Last edited by Mosby: 06-19-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old
06-19-2017, 08:59 PM
Bonsai Tree
Turning a new leaf

Quote:
And i.

Fortunately we don't have to ship talent to the Rangers fans.

Bonsai Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 09:00 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
I think the problem with this is, in a year from now, we won't want to move the good assets, and no one will want the bad assets. Like Rundblad. We sold him one year too late.
Perhaps, but we still flipped him for a 2nd that turned into Dvorak, so that still worked out for us.

There's always a risk waiting for too long and missing out on a market. But the obvious flip side of that is jumping the gun too early and selling off when you don't really know what you have.

IPreferPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Mosby
Howl On

Plus if we flip Merkley then the Kyle Turris trade tree grows another branch

Turris
^
Rundblad + 2nd
^
Rundblad + Vermette
^
2nd + Vermette
^
Dvorak + Vermette
^
Dvorak + Dahlbeck + 1st
^
Dvorak + Merkley
^
???

Did that off memory but I think that's how it went.

Old
06-19-2017, 10:35 PM
Alberta Yote
Owns the Yotes

vCash: 855
After reading the Stepan crap on this board I do not want him. I know it won't cost nearly what some Rangers fans think but I still fear what it might.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:49 PM
Jakey53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosby View Post
We need some forwards in that 25-32ish bracket.

Stepan could be one (I'm starting to hope this deal happens purely to see the NYR fan reaction. I can't recall the last trade where one team got back a high pick, top prospect, and top young player).

If Vegas doesn't take McGinn, I'd shop the hell out of him. See if you can move him for a similar-age player with a higher cap hit but lower dollars.

Ryan White is an option at 4RW.

This UFA class isn't too inspiring so other options may have to come through trade.

Merkley is a good example here I think. I've never been high on him and I think his value is much lower now than it was two years ago. It could be even lower next year.
Some were saying the same thing about Perlini last year. We are in no hurry. The more draft picks you have the better chance of getting a good one. It takes time for the cream to rise to the top.

Jakey53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 10:54 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
After reading the Stepan crap on this board I do not want him. I know it won't cost nearly what some Rangers fans think but I still fear what it might.
This management's history albeit short isn't one to pay a premium. That being said the vitriol anger that resulted in the removal of Maloney is based upon the decision to draft Strome instead of taking the player who filled a need today.

Management is well aware of Stepan and the players they have in system. We know Domi, Dvorak, Keller, and Chychrun are off the table. Is Strome? It depends if they think he's going to be a top 2 line centre and when. If it's still a question mark in their eyes then we may be sweating the next few days.

That being said. I think 7 OV may be the piece we build an offer around depending on who is on the board. All bets are off if Makar by some miracle is still around. My preference would be something around 23 OV but that may require AZ to eat Staal's deal for a few years. We just cleared up a bunch of salary so don't rule it out. Rangers need cap space for Shattenkirk and Zibanejad.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:18 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote View Post
I wouldn't mind Stepan on the right trade deal. But the Yotes aren't in a situation where it makes any sense to mortgage the future like most of the trade proposals want.

Frankly the teams are poor trading partners if NYR truly wants a top end roster-ready asset as a key piece of a trade. And RHD seems to be a key target of any Stepan move, depending on whether you think the Rangers will splurge for Shattenkirk on July 1st or not.

That may contribute to the pie in the sky proposals that if AZ doesn't have that key piece that addresses the Rangers' needs they want a crazy pile of assets worth much more in return.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:22 PM
XX
It's finally over

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Frankly the teams are poor trading partners if NYR truly wants a top end roster-ready asset as a key piece of a trade. And RHD seems to be a key target of any Stepan move, depending on whether you think the Rangers will splurge for Shattenkirk on July 1st or not.
If Klein retires and Smith hits the open market, I think they'll have interest in Murphy or DeAngelo. They can have Hickey's rights as well as a sweetener in any deal.

XX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:25 PM
Mosby
Howl On

I'm open to moving Murphy (or DeAngelo) but how are we replacing them?

If we dump Murphy, we're left with DeAngelo, Schenn, Wood down the right side.